• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
He STARTED as an alt.
Then Sakurai said "Doc SHOULD fight differently. Because he DID in Melee." and whibbledy whobbledy, we have the 3 promoted costumes :4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit:.

It's backwards thinking that he'd turn veterans into costumes when he has already gone against doing this, ESPECIALLY when we don't have a precedent for ANY new fighter costumes.
We don't you're right, not that it could never happen. Sakurai has gone back on many things, you can't take anything that he says as fact. Besides do you really want a smaller Pikachu that hurts itself, and a different styled Toon Link that has fire arrows? I can understand wanting these two because they were veteran characters, and it really stinks that they were cut, but these were clone characters, one of them was really bad, and the other has been replaced.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
We don't you're right, not that it could never happen. Sakurai has gone back on many things, you can't take anything that he says as fact. Besides do you really want a smaller Pikachu that hurts itself, and a different styled Toon Link that has fire arrows? I can understand wanting these two because they were veteran characters, and it really stinks that they were cut, but these were clone characters, one of them was really bad, and the other has been replaced.
Hey now Pichu was fantastic! :p

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly I'm surprised that nothing else, not even the K.K. Slider outfit, was found during all the data mining on Saturday.
They learned from the Ryu/Roy leak. The only reason this was a problem is because they released it EARLY by ACCIDENT.

Dedede, Wii Fit Trainer, and Olimar move up a row in Wii U. 3DS is completely full now.
Thanks, that's helpful. Some people were making stupid comments about there being two slots left in the roster. That was probably on Wii U, because it was filled and expanded by one slot width-wise.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
fantastically adorable looking :p
I knew you'd understand.

Seriously though, Young Link and Pichu are two characters that could be pissed out pretty quickly. With enough demand, it'd be pretty fun to see them come back together. Their trailer would be adorable, especially if they share one.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
They learned from the Ryu/Roy leak. The only reason this was a problem is because they released it EARLY by ACCIDENT.

Thanks, that's helpful. Some people were making stupid comments about there being two slots left in the roster. That was probably on Wii U, because it was filled and expanded by one slot width-wise.

Just thought I'd post this. I haven't seen a screenshot of the 3DS though

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Was Roy really revamped that much? I thought it was only like one or two attacks updated a bit.
Half of his moveset is completely different from Marth's. The other half is somewhat similar though theirs a lot of distinguishable differences.

Personally, i'd argue :4feroy:is just as much of a clone of :4tlink:,:4ganondorf:, and :4falco:or maybe even less.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
3DS version doesn't really need an explanation. Lucas, Roy and Ryu are in the same place/order and they perfectly fill up the roster (with Miis).
Oh, is there not even a blank slot left over for a "new page" icon?

Half of his moveset is completely different from Marth's. The other half is somewhat similar though theirs a lot of distinguishable differences.

Personally, i'd argue :4feroy:is just as much of a clone of :4tlink:,:4ganondorf:, and :4falco:or maybe even less.
The problem is, MARTH was heavily changed between Melee and Smash 4. Marth is the one changed a lot more. As far as I've been hearing, Roy has had miniscule changes. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
3DS version doesn't really need an explanation. Lucas, Roy and Ryu are in the same place/order and they perfectly fill up the roster (with Miis).
Yep you're right. I just looked on Serebii, and they have the 3DS CSS as a means to click to any character to find out more about them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh, is there not even a blank slot left over for a "new page" icon?

The problem is, MARTH was heavily changed between Melee and Smash 4. Marth is the one changed a lot more. As far as I've been hearing, Roy has had miniscule changes. That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Still, that doesn't change the fact that he's really different from Marth now. I mean just look at the differences between the 2.

- Different Jab
- Different F-Tilt
- Different U-Tilt
- Different Forward Smash
- Different Dair
- Different Neutral B
- Different Up B
- Different Down B

I would also argue his Up Smash is different even though the animation is similar. That's half his moveset that's different from Marth; sufficient enough to call him a Semi-Clone.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Still, that doesn't change the fact that he's really different from Marth now. I mean just look at the differences between the 2.

- Different Jab
- Different F-Tilt
- Different U-Tilt
- Different Forward Smash
- Different Dair
- Different Neutral B
- Different Up B
- Different Down B

I would also argue his Up Smash is different even though the animation is similar. That's half his moveset that's different from Marth; sufficient enough to call him a Semi-Clone.
Oh, I figured he'd be a semiclone regardless. Not due to Roy getting changed up heavily, though, but because Marth was already changed. I'm playing as him a bit now, he seems a tad bit faster. But overall I can't find many differences. The one thing I did want was Roy having a different FS. I was disappointed when I found it was Critical Hit... until I realized it was specifically Roy's version of Critical Hit, which was the one thing I thought would happen. So that's good.

The big difference, of course, is that Roy is based on slashes and Marth/Lucina on thrusts. That changes the hitboxes.

Nope.
There probably will be though.

I suspected that this update would completely fill up the 3DS CSS screen.
Yeah, that's probably what's happening once we get more DLC characters than this.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I am hoping we get Dixie Kong and Tetra (or at least Toon Zelda) as DLC. They were planned to be in Brawl... just like :4drmario::4mewtwo::4feroy: were. It would also satisfy the fan demand for a Donkey Kong newcomer and a Zelda newcomer.
After seeing how wonderfully Roy was handled imo (I'm fairly sure a number of his changes where leftover ideas from Brawl) I would like to see Sakurai revive Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda and Tetra(?) as well to see what he had originally planned for them too.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, I'm suspected Marth was changed so much so that Roy's return would make him stand out, but Roy got cut due to constraints again. It's not implausible, as we don't know who got scrapped this time around other than Lucas, Roy, Ryu and likely Wolf

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd put Roy in like... between :4falco: and :4ganondorf: in terms of how much the character has changed.

Basically, he's as different from Lucina as Wolf is from Falco. That's good enough for me.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, I'm suspected Marth was changed so much so that Roy's return would make him stand out, but Roy got cut due to constraints again. It's not implausible, as we don't know who got scrapped this time around other than Lucas, Roy, Ryu and likely Wolf
We don't know if Roy or Ryu were "scrapped" either. We know only that Lucas, Wolf, and Ice Climbers were.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We don't know if Roy or Ryu were "scrapped" either. We know only that Lucas, Wolf, and Ice Climbers were.
It's why it's something I suspect. Also, Roy seems crazy good, strong fast, maybe I'm using him wrong but his aerials are either good or bad, Fair, Bair and Nair being pretty good. He kills stupidly early! Ryu...He scares me....Once his meta develops, he'll prove the fact we need to stay on our toes

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't believe there was any official confirmation in regards to what happened to Wolf and Lucas at all.... I could be wrong though if there is an official source.

The closest thing we had to go with for Lucas was Gematsu....

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The ballot winner will probably be a newcomer, as well; and I have a feeling Sakurai is going to use DLC as a way to surprise us. We thought we had all the characters? Here comes Mewtwo! We're feeling a lack of veterans? Lucas and Roy! We think we have enough new third-party fighters? Ryu!

Who knows what the man will do next, really. He could make Tetra, or Pichu...hell, if he decides what he gets is satisfactory, we'd get Ridley. This man is so ridiculously good at throwing us for loops that it's amazing.

I don't have anything to comment upon in regards to Lucas, Ryu and Roy, since I don't have them at the moment. ;-:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Is it me or does Ryu lack kill power outside Shoryuken?
Smash attacks :p
The ballot winner will probably be a newcomer, as well; and I have a feeling Sakurai is going to use DLC as a way to surprise us. We thought we had all the characters? Here comes Mewtwo! We're feeling a lack of veterans? Lucas and Roy! We think we have enough new third-party fighters? Ryu!

Who knows what the man will do next, really. He could make Tetra, or Pichu...hell, if he decides what he gets is satisfactory, we'd get Ridley. This man is so ridiculously good at throwing us for loops that it's amazing.

I don't have anything to comment upon in regards to Lucas, Ryu and Roy, since I don't have them at the moment. ;-:
Indeed. But there was never enough 3rd party characters, at least for me, especially with Snake's cut.

I'm thinking 2 newcomers from the Ballot. Rest would be Smash 5 since Ballot is likely to influence that.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

"the" ballot winner? Seriously, we just got three characters ON THE EXACT SAME DAY. How can anyone still think we're only getting "a" ballot winner?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No I noticed this to. Was a pleassant surprise actually. I thought Ryu was gonna be about Little Mac's strenght. It took my friend till about 160~170% to finish off my Mewtwo, so that should say some stuff. I do believe Ryu has potential. He's just not my piece of cake.

Roy is amazing though. <3

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Dr. Mario was changed due to the amount of time left. It's why we have:4drmario: and not :4alph:another alt, that could've been a separate character. Where was it ever stated that :linkmelee: was taller than :4tlink:?

If by so close to being in the game, you mean Sakurai was only a couple weeks from figuring out the glitch/bug that was causing them not to work properly, then sure, :popo: will be in Smash 4 soon.
1: That was one factor, but he also thought fans might get mad if Dr. Mario was reduced to an alt.
2::linkmelee:=:link2: You're looking for :younglinkmelee: (I've done that too. They look the same. lol)
3: It's hard to tell but a Young Link alt for Toon Link wouldn't look right due to Young Link's longer limbs and smaller head.
It's pretty hypocritical to complain about people talking in absolutes when saying a character won't happen, then talk in absolutes when saying a character will happen.
Point taken.
I've killed with my up areal. I think his strong jab killed once too. (I think the first one may have been because of a low ceiling though.)
"the" ballot winner? Seriously, we just got three characters ON THE EXACT SAME DAY. How can anyone still think we're only getting "a" ballot winner?
People have low expectations anyway. I think the popular opinion here is seven characters at max. (I think most people go with five though because the ever changeable slots on the official site.)
Like: :4mewtwo: :4ryu::4feroy::4lucas:Wolf, King K. Rool. and that would be it.
I've also seen people say we got 3 characters on the same day cuz E3.
I think most of the the veterans have a pretty good chance. And if the two clones we have left get changed up, then I think the embodiment of high risk high reward will be more popular than another semi-clone of Link.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
1: That was one factor, but he also thought fans might get mad if Dr. Mario was reduced to an alt.
2::linkmelee:=:link2: You're looking for :younglinkmelee: (I've done that too. They look the same. lol)
3: It's hard to tell but a Young Link alt for Toon Link wouldn't look right due to Young Link's longer limbs and smaller head.

Point taken.

I've killed with my up areal. I think his strong jab killed once too. (I think the first one may have been because of a low ceiling though.)

People have low expectations anyway. I think the popular opinion here is seven characters at max. (I think most people go with five though because the ever changeable slots on the official site.)
Like: :4mewtwo: :4ryu::4feroy::4lucas:Wolf, King K. Rool. and that would be it.
I've also seen people say we got 3 characters on the same day cuz E3.
I think most of the the veterans have a pretty good chance. And if the two clones we have left get changed up, then I think the embodiment of high risk high reward will be more popular than another semi-clone of Link.
Oh, I understand we got 3 characters on the same day 'cuz E3. I certainly don't think we'll get multiple characters on the same day again.

But shouldn't that alone raise our expectations just a tiny bit? Before this most everyone thought Roy and Ryu would come later down the line as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom