• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am hoping we get Dixie Kong and Tetra (or at least Toon Zelda) as DLC. They were planned to be in Brawl... just like :4drmario::4mewtwo::4feroy: were. It would also satisfy the fan demand for a Donkey Kong newcomer and a Zelda newcomer.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Some of you guys are being a bit too presumptuous here...
Don't you know to never try and predict Smash Bros.?
Good point, but in a sense we're still here to share our opinions on what may or may not happen regarding character DLC.
Let's not forget that this is still a speculation thread, but we shouldn't be overly sure about anything.

StormC

Smash Hero
As far a physics and sprite goes maybe, but moveset wise she would probably have something much different.
She can flip and throw banana peels. She can also shoot bubblegum out of a gun. That's three specials that could be cloned.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's still a bit aggravating that people are confident enough to say "yeah, that isn't happening."
Especially when everything we got today wasn't going to happen and then it did because...and I hate to phrase it like this, because Sakurai.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's still a bit aggravating that people are confident enough to say "yeah, that isn't happening."
Especially when everything we got today wasn't going to happen and then it did because...and I hate to phrase it like this, because Sakurai.
All we need is to get SmashChu to tell us so-and-so isn't happening so Sakurai will make it happen... but he has to be vehemently against the ideas or it won't work. It's just how the Smash universe works. :awesome:

He said :4megaman: wasn't happening. He said :4pacman: wasn't happening. He said :4mii::4miif: weren't happening. He said :4duckhunt: wasn't happening. And he said Street Fighter combos and inputs weren't happening but :4ryu: happened.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
All we need is to get SmashChu to tell us so-and-so isn't happening so Sakurai will make it happen... but he has to be vehemently against the ideas or it won't work. It's just how the Smash universe works. :awesome:

He said :4megaman: wasn't happening. He said :4pacman: wasn't happening. He said :4mii::4miif: weren't happening. He said :4duckhunt: wasn't happening. And he said Street Fighter combos and inputs weren't happening but :4ryu: happened.

@SmashChu Say that 11 DLC chars total isnt happening.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
HEY! HEY GUYS! REMEMBER WHEN EVERYBODY SAID K.ROOL AND ISAAC AND RIDLEY WERE SHOE INS FOR SMASH WII U/3DS!?
> wut

Yeah...come on. I want K.Rool and Isaac as much as the next guy, but lets give it a rest. Continuing to say it doesn't make it true.

With my continuing tirades on Snake, let me just say a few things...sure, the Konami situation is ****ty, but in no way, shape or form would they just want their flagship series to die off. They might not be devoting as many resources to it, but they aren't going to just kill off Metal Gear. That doesn't make any sense.

As far as I'm concerned, Konami is all that is in Snake's way. He's a gaming legend, people. So far, we have an amazing lineup of video game characters. Not just Nintendo. Gaming characters.

Imagine Smash being the only game to allow an 8 player smash between gaming's biggest (eligible) mascots. With Snake being a Smash veteran, (call me biased, I really don't give two ****s) and considering who he is as a gaming character, I think he should come back.

Arguments against Snake...hmmm. He doesn't fit, he's not Nintendo enough, he's too violent, won't fit into the style...those are all crap. If they were TRULY that important, he'd have never been added to Brawl. Look at Ryu. Some people even think he looks out of place...but he's Ryu. A gaming legend. Who cares? IT'S AWESOME!

Maybe I'm just crazy. But regardless with 3rd parties...i'd say it's Snake, Rayman or nobody. Nobody else even comes close to who we have. You can be hopeful, but the way 3rd parties have been handled kinda give a better picture of what to expect.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
I feel that :pichumelee::younglinkmelee: won't happen.

If transformations were still around, :younglinkmelee: would stand a chance, with the ability to transform into the three masks from Majora's Mask.

:pichumelee:Never understood why this one, beyond just the general bad taste of saying goodbye to characters of past games that aren't coming back in the next.

:pichumelee::younglinkmelee: easily could be alt. costumes for :4pikachu::4tlink:

:popo: If the ballot doesn't create enough demand for Sakurai to try again, they will certainly return for Smash NX.

:squirtle::ivysaur:These ones are so iffy for me, I played :pt: for awhile, heck my favorite character to use was :ivysaur:, but I just don't know about them coming back if their gimmick can't return. :4charizard: Only got to return because it was a Pokeball character since Smash 64, and out of three, it's the most marketable one.

Konami stuff aside, bringing back :snake: might raise the question, "when do we say enough for third party characters?" With:4megaman::4pacman::4sonic::4ryu: already in the game, plus the three third party Mii Outfits, a return for :snake: plus the possibility for another third party character through the ballot, we could have (technically) 9 third party characters.

Like everyone is saying:wolf:is most likely coming back, :4lucas:just raised that suspicion.

Burruni

Smash Hero
HEY! HEY GUYS! REMEMBER WHEN EVERYBODY SAID K.ROOL AND ISAAC AND RIDLEY WERE SHOE INS FOR SMASH WII U/3DS!?
> wut

Yeah...come on. I want K.Rool and Isaac as much as the next guy, but lets give it a rest. Continuing to say it doesn't make it true.

With my continuing tirades on Snake, let me just say a few things...sure, the Konami situation is ****ty, but in no way, shape or form would they just want their flagship series to die off. They might not be devoting as many resources to it, but they aren't going to just kill off Metal Gear. That doesn't make any sense.

As far as I'm concerned, Konami is all that is in Snake's way. He's a gaming legend, people. So far, we have an amazing lineup of video game characters. Not just Nintendo. Gaming characters.

Imagine Smash being the only game to allow an 8 player smash between gaming's biggest (eligible) mascots. With Snake being a Smash veteran, (call me biased, I really don't give two ****s) and considering who he is as a gaming character, I think he should come back.

Arguments against Snake...hmmm. He doesn't fit, he's not Nintendo enough, he's too violent, won't fit into the style...those are all crap. If they were TRULY that important, he'd have never been added to Brawl. Look at Ryu. Some people even think he looks out of place...but he's Ryu. A gaming legend. Who cares? IT'S AWESOME!

Maybe I'm just crazy. But regardless with 3rd parties...i'd say it's Snake, Rayman or nobody. Nobody else even comes close to who we have. You can be hopeful, but the way 3rd parties have been handled kinda give a better picture of what to expect.
My points against snake basically have been "He got in due to Kojima & Sakurai being buds. If Konami & Kojima weren't APPROACHED for Smash 4, I don't know how likely he can be when the situation of his creator and company have only gotten worse."

He's still far more likely than most 3rd parties being tossed around, with Shantae being the only 3rd Party newcomer with the weight of being the "Nindie character," with games on the way.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I think if Pichu and Young Link were able to become alts, they would have become characters much like Dark Pit and the others.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My points against snake basically have been "He got in due to Kojima & Sakurai being buds. If Konami & Kojima weren't APPROACHED for Smash 4, I don't know how likely he can be when the situation of his creator and company have only gotten worse."
Right. The only point that is actively not in Snake's favor is the fact that Konami has complete ownership of the IP. It's pretty obvious that Kojima, had he ownership, would absolutely want Snake in the game.

I think the ballot will have to do something in his favor, but i'd also argue that quite a decent group of people online have expressed interest...especially since that fake amiibo showed up and Kojima retweeted it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Still have the K.K. Slider outfit, Tourney Mode, Youtube, and 64 Stages coming. Wouldn't be surprised if they're all apart of the next big update in August(?).

With October being two months after (pattern?), it also wouldn't surprise me if they've already chosen the ballot winner and have started development.

Based on the hacked data from April, we still have 2 character slots lefts, and I think about 3 stage slots (out of 8, I don't remember) left.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe I'm just crazy. But regardless with 3rd parties...i'd say it's Snake, Rayman, or nobody. Nobody else even comes close to who we have. You can be hopeful, but the way 3rd parties have been handled kinda give a better picture of what to expect.
You forgot Black Mage. :3
:pichumelee::younglinkmelee: easily could be alt. costumes for :4pikachu::4tlink:
No. It's the reason why we have :4drmario:. Besides, Pichu is shorter than Pikachu, and Young Link is taller than Toon Link. It wouldn't work.
:popo: If the ballot doesn't create enough demand for Sakurai to try again, they will certainly return for Smash NX.
Forget the ballot. They are so close to being in the game it's not even funny. Trust me, they'll be in.
:squirtle::ivysaur:These ones are so iffy for me, I played :pt: for awhile, heck my favorite character to use was :ivysaur:, but I just don't know about them coming back if their gimmick can't return. :4charizard: Only got to return because it was a Pokeball character since Smash 64, and out of three, it's the most marketable one.
I think it's a 72% chance :ivysaur::squirtle: will return. Pokémon Trainer more like 2%
With October being two months after (pattern?), it also wouldn't surprise me if they've already chosen the ballot winner and have started development.
There are many good decisions they could do. Choosing a ballot "winner" before the ballot is over is not one of them.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I think all Sakurai has to do is ask for him and there we go we got Snake. It's a matter of whether or not we can push Sakurai to want him.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Right. The only point that is actively not in Snake's favor is the fact that Konami has complete ownership of the IP. It's pretty obvious that Kojima, had he ownership, would absolutely want Snake in the game.

I think the ballot will have to do something in his favor, but i'd also argue that quite a decent group of people online have expressed interest...especially since that fake amiibo showed up and Kojima retweeted it.
He's requested. A FAIR amount. I just kinda question if his company matters are gonna keep him out in regards to the popularity present, y'know?

Still have the K.K. Slider outfit, Tourney Mode, Youtube, and 64 Stages coming. Wouldn't be surprised if they're all apart of the next big update in August(?).

Based on the hacked data from April, we still have 2 character slots lefts, and I think about 3 stage slots (out of 8, I don't remember) left.
1) Watch Wolf be data-mined in August, and the 6th Pre-Ballot choice in October.

2) It was 7 "Pre-Ballot Stage" Slots on 3DS. We currently have 4 said: Dreamland, Suzaku Castle, Hyrule Castle 64, and Peach Castle 64.

Edit:

I think all Sakurai has to do is ask for him and there we go we got Snake. It's a matter of whether or not we can push Sakurai to want him.
And all the contracting to get the rights to Snake from Konami when they are in a bit of a rough situation. I mean, :sonic: caused all sorts of issues with how long his contractual work took in the back and forths between Nintendo and SEGA.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yup. In Smash 5.

Yes, but why haven't they done any even as Mii Fighter costumes? We've been through two sets of Mii Fighter costumes now.

Was Roy really revamped that much? I thought it was only like one or two attacks updated a bit.
Roy's changes are pretty substantial, actually. It's fairly analogous to Young Link -> Toon Link or Melee Ganondorf -> Brawl Ganondorf.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So are Lucina's and Marth's, but, that didn't stop Sakurai from having Lucina in the game initially as an alt. costume.
Not at all. Lucina is still a bipedal human with the same essential physical characteristics as Marth.

Pichu, on the other hand, has a larger head and smaller body than Pikachu, not to mention the fact that its posture is more humanesque than Pikachu's feral stance. It wouldn't work as an alt.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
1) Watch Wolf be data-mined in August, and the 6th Pre-Ballot choice in October.
I wouldn't be surprised if Wolf is the character we might get for August.

2) It was 7 "Pre-Ballot Stage" Slots on 3DS. We currently have 4 said: Dreamland, Suzaku Castle, Hyrule Castle 64, and Peach Castle 64.
I was including Miiverse for the Wii U version. But yeah, there's still a large amount of DLC to come out.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be surprised if Wolf is the character we might get for August.

I was including Miiverse for the Wii U version. But yeah, there's still a large amount of DLC to come out.
When I said Data-Mined, I mean :4feroy::4ryu: yesterday out of 1.0.8 and not back in 1.0.6.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
How does the 3DS stage and character rosters look? I heard that the roster is filled up now with only one character slot remaining.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
No. It's the reason why we have :4drmario:. Besides, Pichu is shorter than Pikachu, and Young Link is taller than Toon Link. It wouldn't work.

Forget the ballot. They are so close to being in the game it's not even funny. Trust me, they'll be in.

I think it's a 72% chance :ivysaur::squirtle: will return. Pokémon Trainer more like 2%
Dr. Mario was changed due to the amount of time left. It's why we have:4drmario: and not :4alph:another alt, that could've been a separate character. Where was it ever stated that :linkmelee: was taller than :4tlink:?

If by so close to being in the game, you mean Sakurai was only a couple weeks from figuring out the glitch/bug that was causing them not to work properly, then sure, :popo: will be in Smash 4 soon.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It's pretty hypocritical to complain about people talking in absolutes when saying a character won't happen, then talk in absolutes when saying a character will happen.

How does the 3DS stage and character rosters look? I heard that the roster is filled up now with only one character slot remaining.
It has two slots left. My guess is once we get a 56th character, all DLC will be pushed to page 2.

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot about Mii Fighters.

Last edited:

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Not at all. Lucina is still a bipedal human with the same essential physical characteristics as Marth.

Pichu, on the other hand, has a larger head and smaller body than Pikachu, not to mention the fact that its posture is more humanesque than Pikachu's feral stance. It wouldn't work as an alt.
I don't know, maybe they would do an alt. like what early Project M had for Pichu.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
When I said Data-Mined, I mean :4feroy::4ryu: yesterday out of 1.0.8 and not back in 1.0.6.
Honestly I'm surprised that nothing else, not even the K.K. Slider outfit, was found during all the data mining on Saturday.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Smash is mind blowing now we have 71(soon 73) counting the Mii fighters and characters who share a slot separately fighters not only that but Smash is Gaming history now it's the only game that I know of where you can have :4sonic:fight :4megaman:,:4mario:,:4pacman:and :4ryu:officially! And I knew it! Tekken would show up in some way and form in Smash Jin Kazama is a possibility imo now so is another Sega rep. Smash has officially past the point of no return and that's a good thing!

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
True, heck Dr. Mario started as an alt. for Smash 4. My point is :pichumelee::younglinkmelee: could easily be alt. costumes.
He STARTED as an alt.
Then Sakurai said "Doc SHOULD fight differently. Because he DID in Melee." and whibbledy whobbledy, we have the 3 promoted costumes :4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit:.

It's backwards thinking that he'd turn veterans into costumes when he has already gone against doing this, ESPECIALLY when we don't have a precedent for ANY new fighter costumes.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Smash is mind blowing now we have 71(soon 73) counting the Mii fighters and characters who share a slot separately fighters not only that but Smash is Gaming history now it's the only game that I know of where you can have :4sonic:fight :4megaman:,:4mario:,:4pacman:and :4ryu:officially! And I knew it! Tekken would show up in some way and form in Smash Jin Kazama is a possibility imo now so is another Sega rep. Smash has officially past the point of no return and that's a good thing!
I'm pretty sure Smash does not currently have 73 fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom