• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blast Ball guys for smash. We can always use a 3rd samus. :troll:
Why do people keep thinking this will be the last Smash? These games regularly sell millions. If Sakurai won't do it, Nintendo will find someone else.
Pessimism beyond even my power.

That or foolishness. One or the other.

I mean brawl was planned without sakurai knowing

Last edited:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
20 characters with the best chance at DLC IMO
  1. Wolf
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Inkling
  4. Young Link
  5. Impa
  6. Dixie Kong
  7. Bandana Dee
  8. Krystal
  9. Ridley
  10. Issac
  11. Chorus Kids
  12. Captain Toad
  13. Yarn Yoshi
  14. Pichu (could easily be a Pikachu costume)
  15. Snake
  16. Ice Climbers
  17. Ivysaur
  18. Squirtle
  19. Chibi-Robo
  20. Tingle
All of those are either:
Veterans (Wolf, Young Link, Pichu, Snake, Ice Climbers, Ivysaur, Squirtle)
Rumored newcomers before Smash 4 was released (Chorus Kids, Dixie Kong)
Likely to win Smash ballot (King K. Rool, Ridley)
Easy to add, semi-clones (Krystal, Bandana Dee, Yarn Yoshi)
Potential ??? DLC for the lulz (Chibi-Robo, Tingle)
Or
Highly popular fan-favorites (Inkling, Captain Toad, Issac)
why yarn yoshi? people would complain, imo hes only an alt, tingle is an at, and Ridley is a boss, bdee being a semi clone is a horrendous waste of potential and from what I see krystal too.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Impa is a character that could easily be chosen by Sakurai regardless of the ballot. She has huge importance in the Zelda series, and Hyrule Warriors has her playable with quite an established role. With that game's port to 3DS, I see a sequel as likely.

I also highly suspect her to appear in Zelda Wii U. As certain people already analysed the world map, and discovered places as Kakariko Village (a Sheikah town originally) and Hyrule Castle / Castle Town. Could be gasping at straws here, but to me it seems likely Impa will play a role in Zelda Wii U. Whoch could mean she could be added around the time of Wolf's release.

Characters I feel who have a good chance currently:

-King K.Rool
-Isaac
-Captain Toad
-Impa
-Chibi Robo
-Dixie Kong
-Bandana Dee

These seem to me the characters Sakurai would be most willing to work with. Especially since new releases for DKC and Golden Sun might happen. But I gotta say, I think that the ammount of DLC will hugely depend on of this Smash is gonna be the last Smash.

Anyway, I played Smash with the DLC characters at my friend's place, and am really loving Roy so far. He's a lot faster, and stronger especially. Really liking playing as a far more unique Roy now after his 13 years of absence. Lucas is also great, but I still prefer Ness over him as in Brawl. Ryu is a lot weaker in terms of killpower than expected. But he seems versatile, just not my piece of cake. Am at least happy he's balanced properly.
Sakurai always assumes the current Smash is the last Smash anyway. This will be no different. Will it continue? Most likely. But Sakurai treats each game like it will be the last.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm very happy with the SSB4 roster. It's really amazing... with the newcomers and the uncut veterans.

:4villager::4megaman::4wiifit::rosalina::4littlemac::4greninja::4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:
:4palutena::4pacman::4lucina::4robinm::4shulk::4darkpit::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4ryu:

:4drmario::4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And to think.

We're getting more.
Personally, I'm hoping for more newcomers... I get more excited for newcomers than I do for uncut veterans. I mean, Ryu literally gave me the goosebumps when I was watching the Direct.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Personally, I'm hoping for more newcomers... I get more excited for newcomers than I do for uncut veterans. I mean, Ryu literally gave me the goosebumps when I was watching the Direct.
:wolf: is the last old face I expect to see on the DLC list.

And I really think we're going to be seeing some good creativity for movesets in our DLC newcomers if :4ryu: is any indication.

Pakky

Smash Hero
:wolf: is the last old face I expect to see on the DLC list.

And I really think we're going to be seeing some good creativity for movesets in our DLC newcomers if :4ryu: is any indication.
Which is how it should be. Ryu is a shining example of what the rest if the roster should look like.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Simon Belmont would have a creative moveset if he's playable in Smash... my god, it is like he's made for Smash.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The only veteran really left is Wolf anyway. Everyone else will be newcomers. I don't expect more than three newcomers at this point, and NO third-parties. I also have huge doubts about any characters in as mii costumes now; Sakurai counts them as "representation" of the character, so I don't see them being added at all as full playable characters anymore. Before that statement, yeah, I thought it was possible, but not anymore.

Plus, Inklings now have a trophy... as DLC.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Lol. Some of the stuff in here I can agree with. Others...let's not get carried away people. Don't be so quick to saying something WON'T happen.

StormC

Smash Hero
In my mind, DLC puts Smash 4 on the fast track to being the best in the series, with the incredible amount of content between both games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Inkling Gunner outfit seems to serve as Splatoon content. I really don't see the Inklings as much of a treat to the rest of the ballot characters anymore. Especially King K.Rool. The Mii outfits, as Jaidyn said, seem to count as representation for the series they hail from.

Am also quite certain that we'll see Isaac, and perhaps even another new Golden Sun character as future DLC to go by a possible future Golden Sun. I think that the overal outcry for King K.Rool might result in his inclusion in the main series soon enough, so he will likely make it to Smash because of that. But Isaac is dependant on the future of Golden Sun more, because it's nit eactly as much of a running series as Donkey Kong. So I think Sakurai might choose Isaac only if a new Golden Sun is actually coming out.

Not that he can't just pick any character suggestion he likes best. Cause I see that he's at least going to give us one character totally out of the box. Chibi Robo seems a likely choice I think to, because of the Amiibo and how well he'd fit with moves inspired from his new game.

Anyway, if I'd have to do a prediction, I think we'd get ; Wolf, Dixie Kong, Impa, Chibi Robo, King K.Rool and Isaac as future DLC.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Inb4 he's a new alt for Ness.

We all thought a certain samurai was a shoo-in last year before his quick death after the game's localization, right? :troll:
I thought he was the default. :awesome:
The only veteran really left is Wolf anyway. Everyone else will be newcomers. I don't expect more than three newcomers at this point, and NO third-parties. I also have huge doubts about any characters in as mii costumes now; Sakurai counts them as "representation" of the character, so I don't see them being added at all as full playable characters anymore. Before that statement, yeah, I thought it was possible, but not anymore.

Plus, Inklings now have a trophy... as DLC.
You forgot :ivysaur::popo::squirtle:and:snake:. (assuming you were purposely forgetting clones)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
:4mario:vs :4sonic:vs:4megaman: vs:4pacman: vs :4ryu: vs:4link: vs:4pikachu: vs :snake:...

Sounds like a video game all star lineup to me...

It would totally be different if Snake had never been in Smash. Honestly, I would have never played MGS if Snake wasn't in Brawl. But Snake has already been in Smash. What's the problem with bringing him back? My question isn't the the literal problem, but the moral issue of, "Snake isn't Nintendo enough"... That just bothers the CRAP out of me.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought he was the default. :awesome:

You forgot :ivysaur::popo::squirtle:and:snake:. (assuming you were purposely forgetting clones)
IC's can't work, Ivysaur/Squirtle aren't heavily requested plus Genwunners, and lastly Konami. 'nuff said.

The Inkling Gunner outfit seems to serve as Splatoon content. I really don't see the Inklings as much of a treat to the rest of the ballot characters anymore. Especially King K.Rool. The Mii outfits, as Jaidyn said, seem to count as representation for the series they hail from.

Am also quite certain that we'll see Isaac, and perhaps even another new Golden Sun character as future DLC to go by a possible future Golden Sun. I think that the overal outcry for King K.Rool might result in his inclusion in the main series soon enough, so he will likely make it to Smash because of that. But Isaac is dependant on the future of Golden Sun more, because it's nit eactly as much of a running series as Donkey Kong. So I think Sakurai might choose Isaac only if a new Golden Sun is actually coming out.

Not that he can't just pick any character suggestion he likes best. Cause I see that he's at least going to give us one character totally out of the box. Chibi Robo seems a likely choice I think to, because of the Amiibo and how well he'd fit with moves inspired from his new game.

Anyway, if I'd have to do a prediction, I think we'd get ; Wolf, Dixie Kong, Impa, Chibi Robo, King K.Rool and Isaac as future DLC.
All things considered, a second GS character is extremely slim. Rather, they'd probably just add additional characters as Mii costumes. That's basically what they're doing for everything right now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really see no issue with Snake after Ryu. It seems hypocritical to me to say Snake isn't Nintendo enough. He's been in Brawl, and we even have Ryu from ****ing Street Fighter now. How is Snake not fitting?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Simon Belmont will be one of the most unique fighters in Smash... with that 8 directional whipping action... and many different projectiles that do different things.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I really see no issue with Snake after Ryu. It seems hypocritical to me to say Snake isn't Nintendo enough. He's been in Brawl, and we even have Ryu from ****ing Street Fighter now. How is Snake not fitting?
Its not that he's not fitting. Its that Konami are being huge ***** right now about everything. Even if Konami are up to it (just because they say they are doesn't mean a damn thing), Nintendo might just not want to get involved in the mess that is Konami.

So with Lucas, Roy, and Ryu begging released all at once do you think they'll release all the ballot characters at once?
No. I think they'll be split up and released every two months or so. Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were only released at once for E3. Maybe even because of the World Championship.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
IC's can't work
Here is something that I posted a while ago. This is based off of the differences between Ice Climbers, and Rosalina & Luma. It may not solve everything, but it would certainly help.
"...So I think it would make sense to do this: Nana could receive more knockback before tumbling than the rest of the cast including Popo, but would not be able to recover should she go into this state. Nana would not be able to use Belay without being synched to Popo, so you have to be more careful when desynching the two. Nana would not be able to grab or be grabbed, making Nana slightly safer, and balancing out the Ice Climber's 0-death combo. As for simplistic design, I'm going to bring up the Flying Man.MUPTEAVH: What the heck does something from Earthbout have to do with the Ice Climbers?
Me: Wait five seconds and I'll tell you. During the development of the Magicant stage, the Flying Man had a (kinda ugly) 3D model. The 3Ds had trouble with this, so they gave it their sprite from Earthbound. If it worked for the Flying Man, I don't see why it wouldn't help the Ice Climbers.
MUPTEAVH: Why would they downgrade the Ice Climbers graphics?
Me: Because it works. Besides, it would only be for the 3Ds version, the Wii U version would keep their updated look. Sure they would loose some of their charm on the 3Ds, but it's better than not having them on the 3Ds at all..."
They do have hope, they are most likely being worked on as we speak.
plus Genwunners
Oooooooooooooooh! Yay! An adaptation of the "reps" argument. Do go on! /sarcasm
Konami. 'nuff said.
I can't deny he isn't very likely, but Sakuri could surprise us. He has done so many times. :4wiifit::4ryu::4rob::4littlemac::4gaw::4duckhunt::4drmario: (and that's probably not even it.)

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
No. I think they'll be split up and released every two months or so. Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were only released at once for E3. Maybe even because of the World Championship.
Agreed. Though I think the release frequency will depend on how many of them we're getting in the first place.

Hopefully this time they'll reveal them before releasing a patch that contains all their data...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
:4mario:vs :4sonic:vs:4megaman: vs:4pacman: vs :4ryu: vs:4link: vs:4pikachu: vs :snake:...

Sounds like a video game all star lineup to me...

It would totally be different if Snake had never been in Smash. Honestly, I would have never played MGS if Snake wasn't in Brawl. But Snake has already been in Smash. What's the problem with bringing him back? My question isn't the the literal problem, but the moral issue of, "Snake isn't Nintendo enough"... That just bothers the CRAP out of me.
It seems like they don't want to create a new partnership just for DLC. They seem totally OK with adding content from other games that Namco Bandia, Capcom or Sega owns. I don't think we'll see anything from outside those companies.

StormC

Smash Hero
Ryu being packaged with a stage (and no option to buy him without the stage) means to me that Sakurai feels obligated to include a stage as part of a new franchise character, which obviously takes more development time and resources.

I think Isaac is probably the only ballot character with enough demand to really warrant that, which also makes me think a K. Rool/Dixie combo pack is even more feasible, especially if Dixie is cloneish in any way to save aforementioned time and resources. Even if Dixie lacks the star power of K. Rool or Isaac, K. Rool AND Dixie would be an absolutely huge moneymaking opportunity. So I could see maybe only those three as ballot characters, along with like... I dunno, Bandana Dee.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It seems like they don't want to create a new partnership just for DLC. They seem totally OK with adding content from other games that Namco Bandia, Capcom or Sega owns. I don't think we'll see anything from outside those companies.
That's definitely a huge possibility. So yeah, I think we'll see more costumes in the future from existing companies, but nothing more. So eventually we'll probably get a series of Sonic Mii Fighter costumes. Maybe Lloyd Irving as a Mii Fighter costume.

That also heavily rules out the possibility of seeing any third-party ballot characters. At least ones not from SEGA, Capcom, or Namco.

Ryu being packaged with a stage (and no option to buy him without the stage) means to me that Sakurai feels obligated to include a stage as part of a new franchise character, which obviously takes more development time and resources.

I think Isaac is probably the only ballot character with enough demand to really warrant that, which also makes me think a K. Rool/Dixie combo pack is even more feasible, especially if Dixie is cloneish in any way to save aforementioned time and resources. Even if Dixie lacks the star power of K. Rool or Isaac, K. Rool AND Dixie would be an absolutely huge moneymaking opportunity. So I could see maybe only those three as ballot characters, along with like... I dunno, Bandana Dee.
That's what I'm thinking as well. K. Rool and Dixie are the only other one I can see happening now. We can probably get a GS pack with Isaac and a stage, and a DKC pack with K. Rool and Dixie. We will probably get returning stages rather than new stages, and very, very few new stages at all.

Isaac is the only Nintendo newcomer from a new franchise with a huge following right now (well, other than Splatoon... which has the Inkling costumes that already represent Splatoon). At this point I'd bet GS will be the only Nintendo franchise added as DLC. Any other DLC would be from established franchises. So that could raise the chances of Krystal or Bandanna Dee. Perhaps Impa, or another Zelda character they might consider instead.

I don't think there will be direct restrictions; like a shortlist of characters they want and will only include characters from that list. But they'd be more likely to include characters that are highly requested from already established franchises.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

You keep saying Dixie Kong would be a semi-clone but...
:4mewtwo:was unique to begin with.
:4lucas:was as far away from Ness as possible without loosing his playstyle
:4feroy:got a moveset revamp
:4ryu:has an extremely different gimmick.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is a sneak preview into the future... the actual Inklings will be playable in Smash.
Yup. In Smash 5.

There's nothing indicating they don't want to have new partnerships for DLC.
Except that there's hasn't been one yet.
Yes, but why haven't they done any even as Mii Fighter costumes? We've been through two sets of Mii Fighter costumes now.

Was Roy really revamped that much? I thought it was only like one or two attacks updated a bit.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yup. In Smash 5.

Yes, but why haven't they done any even as Mii Fighter costumes? We've been through two sets of Mii Fighter costumes now.

Was Roy really revamped that much? I thought it was only like one or two attacks updated a bit.
Meh. That's like saying because there haven't been Sonic costumes that there won't be any at all.

EDIT: Changed from SEGA to Sonic costumes because I derped.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Lucas and Roy still saved development time and assets compared to a new character due to borrowing from Ness and Marth.

Dixie would be the same with Diddy.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm surprised Black Mage (or someone to that effect) hasn't joined the fight yet.
Lucas and Roy still saved development time and assets compared to a new character due to borrowing from Ness and Marth.

Dixie would be the same with Diddy.
As far a physics and sprite goes maybe, but moveset wise she would probably have something much different.
Some of you guys are being a bit too presumptuous here...
Don't you know to never try and predict Smash Bros.?
It's fun to try though. (My only problem is that it causes arguments frequently at the moment. Especially with my unpopular opinions. Optimism seems to be rare here.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom