• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh, I understand we got 3 characters on the same day 'cuz E3. I certainly don't think we'll get multiple characters on the same day again.

But shouldn't that alone raise our expectations just a tiny bit? Before this most everyone thought Roy and Ryu would come later down the line as is.
It didn't raise my expectations but then again I think we are going to get a minimal of around 16 DLC characters total beforehand.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
1: That was one factor, but he also thought fans might get mad if Dr. Mario was reduced to an alt.
2::linkmelee:=:link2: You're looking for :younglinkmelee: (I've done that too. They look the same. lol)
3: It's hard to tell but a Young Link alt for Toon Link wouldn't look right due to Young Link's longer limbs and smaller head.

Point taken.

I've killed with my up areal. I think his strong jab killed once too. (I think the first one may have been because of a low ceiling though.)

People have low expectations anyway. I think the popular opinion here is seven characters at max. (I think most people go with five though because the ever changeable slots on the official site.)
Like: :4mewtwo: :4ryu::4feroy::4lucas:Wolf, King K. Rool. and that would be it.
I've also seen people say we got 3 characters on the same day cuz E3.
I think most of the the veterans have a pretty good chance. And if the two clones we have left get changed up, then I think the embodiment of high risk high reward will be more popular than another semi-clone of Link.
I think max 8........because 8 player smash. \(*.*\)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Anyone else severely underwhelmed by Lucas? I feel like he still plays like he does in Brawl and that makes him super awkward with this game engine. Played a good number of matches with him yesterday and there was always a twinge of frustration with each match. For some reason, they made his grab and his pivot grab worse, possibly making it the worse grab in the game aside from Pac-man's.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Anyone else severely underwhelmed by Lucas? I feel like he still plays like he does in Brawl and that makes him super awkward with this game engine. Played a good number of matches with him yesterday and there was always a twinge of frustration with each match. For some reason, they made his grab and his pivot grab worse, possibly making it the worse grab in the game aside from Pac-man's.
At least his Zair does damage and has good range

Burruni

Smash Hero
We don't you're right, not that it could never happen. Sakurai has gone back on many things, you can't take anything that he says as fact. Besides do you really want a smaller Pikachu that hurts itself, and a different styled Toon Link that has fire arrows? I can understand wanting these two because they were veteran characters, and it really stinks that they were cut, but these were clone characters, one of them was really bad, and the other has been replaced.
If you dare think I'm WANTING Pichu and ESPECIALLY Young Link, you have not been seeing enough of my posts.

Sakurai's capable of contradictions. But within a year's time I don't see his idealogy changing on what gave us 3 characters in this game, especially when 1 was a cut veteran from the same game Yink and Pichu were from. They're around as likely as being made as Alts instead of separate characters as Ridley is to get in, in my eyes.

He's okay, his up and down smash are absurd. PK Freeze feels better than it did in Brawl. I think PK Fire Burst reaches farther. His N-Air and B-Air feel stronger. Honestly... he's my favorite out of the 4 DLC fighters. Though that's a case moreso of the market than Lucas himself.

Honestly, what holds:4lucas: back is he didn't get the kind of buff due to the engine and tweaks that :4ness: did, being an inverse of Brawl where one just ends up heavily outshining the other.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Can I mention the DLC stages quickly? Miiverse only has the Dark Lord remix as a good thing considering miiverse itself is moderated less than Steam's quality control. Dreamland is Battlefield, like Miiverse, but Whispy does something and there's one of the best Kirby final boss themes, so I'm glad I bought it. Suzaku Castle's music choice is dumb as it's the same 2 themes, not even Guile's theme. Though it looks beautiful and has a unique stage layout

Burruni

Smash Hero
My family know of my despair for Wolf I was crying post Saturday leak.
Just wait for the august leak. He'll be there at this rate. Now, I'm no programmer, but would that likely be 1.1.0 or 1.0.10?

Can I mention the DLC stages quickly? Miiverse only has the Dark Lord remix as a good thing considering miiverse itself is moderated less than Steam's quality control. Dreamland is Battlefield, like Miiverse, but Whispy does something and there's one of the best Kirby final boss themes, so I'm glad I bought it. Suzaku Castle's music choice is dumb as it's the same 2 themes, not even Guile's theme. Though it looks beautiful and has a unique stage layout
Miiverse: I'd rather just play Splatoon if I wanted some Miiverse in my gameplay. Rhythm Heaven Music FINALLY GETS INTO SMASH BROS.

Dreamland: 2nd best 64 stage. Fantastic music choices, just wish Sakurai would put in more of the games he hasn't touched.

Suzaku Castle: Good looking background, poor music choices, bad layout when not in omega. Can I reroll this?

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Lucas, to my mind, is to Ness what Doc is to Mario, Ganondorf is to Captain Falcon and Falco is to Fox: a slower, more methodical fighter focused on hard hits over insane combos. That was my first takeaway from watching him in action.

I'm not sure if Ness is inherently better or if it's just first impressions, but he definitely benefits more from this game's engine than Lucas does. I highly doubt Lucas is going to turn out to be an unusable fighter, he definitely has some neat tricks, just that he can't pull them out of his backside like Ness can.

EDIT: Suzaku Castle is the best new stage and I will hear no other insinuations to the contrary.

As you were.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
At least his Zair does damage and has good range
Really? Huh, I didn't bother trying that out because it didn't do any damage in Brawl.

Honestly, what holds:4lucas: back is he didn't get the kind of buff due to the engine and tweaks that :4ness: did, being an inverse of Brawl where one just ends up heavily outshining the other.
That's exactly how I feel. In Brawl, Ness was only slightly better than Lucas so choosing one or the other wasn't that big of a deal but now it's just a total blowout. :4ness: is just overwhelmingly better and this is probably the biggest gap between a character and their respective clone/semi-clone in Smash history. It reminds me all too much of :link2: vs :toonlink: in Brawl and :marthmelee: vs :roymelee: in Melee. There's still time for him to develop but I'm very hard pressed to believe he'll climb out of low tier without major changes.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Just an interesting note, the Smash website listed Ryu and Mewtwo as new challengers, while calling Lucas and Roy veteran challengers.

Anyway, I think we will see Wolf, and possibly Shantae/Snake/Shovel Knight/Prof. Layton tomorrow. But that's just me. I won't be on anymore tonight I think because I'm afraid of leaks dropping so I'll see you guys after tomorrow's hypefest.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Sure, I bet you'd include Saffron City. Then again, who wouldn't?
Saffron City, Peach Castle Melee, Pokemon Stadium Melee, Fountain of Dreams, Big Blue, Summit, New Pork City, Pirate Ship, Rhythm Heaven, Gangplank Galleon, Scuttle Town, Mars Lighthouse.

Just not something that calls itself street fighter but then has a very one-sided structuring and LACKS GUILE'S THEME.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think people here will end up disappointed if we get a sum total of 0 Smash content tomorrow.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just not something that calls itself street fighter but then has a very one-sided structuring and LACKS GUILE'S THEME.
Ryu's theme is better tho.

Hey, when did this turn into the Controversial Opinions Thread?

I think people here will end up disappointed if we get a sum total of 0 Smash content tomorrow.
That's what I'm expecting, honestly. I reckon the info stream was a means of demarcating Smash content so E3 doesn't turn into another round of "eh eh eh eh SMAAAASH eh eh eh eh SPLATOOOON eh eh eh eh".

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

That's what I'm expecting, honestly. I reckon the info stream was a means of demarcating Smash content so E3 doesn't turn into another round of "eh eh eh eh SMAAAASH eh eh eh eh SPLATOOOON eh eh eh eh".
I'm not saying Ryu's theme is worse/better or it shouldn't have been in there.

I'm just saying that Guile's theme should have been in there as well.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm not saying Ryu's theme is worse/better or it shouldn't have been in there.

I'm just saying that Guile's theme should have been in there as well.
I know, I'm just teasin'~ ;3

Guile's theme is a strange omission alright. All the same, though, no Capcom track will outdo Spark Man as far as I'm concerned~

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Really? Huh, I didn't bother trying that out because it didn't do any damage in Brawl.
lol it was literally the 2nd thing I tried out, Usmash first
Saffron City, Peach Castle Melee, Pokemon Stadium Melee, Fountain of Dreams, Big Blue, Summit, New Pork City, Pirate Ship, Rhythm Heaven, Gangplank Galleon, Scuttle Town, Mars Lighthouse.

Be gentle Burruni sempai, I can't take all this goodness

"eh eh eh eh SMAAAASH eh eh eh eh SPLATOOOON eh eh eh eh".
Roy's upgrade is the only good thing about him imo

So...No Lady Gaga and Beyonce songs anymore? I really liked a lot of what I saw last year. XenoX English when?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Lucas takes some getting used to, but I think he is pretty good.
I know, I'm just teasin'~ ;3

Guile's theme is a strange omission alright. All the same, though, no Capcom track will outdo Spark Man as far as I'm concerned~
I'm surprised Ruined Street isn't in the game. In Mega Man Anniversary collection it replaced Top Man's theme with a remix of the song if you put the game on Navi (easy) mode.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Not showing anymore Smash content is money down the drain imo for Nintendo with the possibility of cross promotion for SF:U as Wolf, his amiibo and Falco's amiibo.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Helllll no.
I can't tell you what animation it replaced because I almost never played Lucas in Brawl, but that assuredly is new.
That means a dead franchise got more content than Metroid. That only got Dark Samus and something from Hunters "What about the Other M stuff" OTHER M NEVER HAPPENED LALALALALA! In all seriousness (lol ness), that's more than DK

Burruni

Smash Hero
He was really op in PM for a while :p no idea about brawl.
He wasn't OP in PM. OP would be the breif reigns of :squirtle::ivysaur: and fairly lasting one of :diddy: in that game. Lucas was good to great depending on the update, but there were a handful of players who just put in WORK with him. It's like saying :ganondorfmelee: or :jigglypuffmelee: were OP.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
After research he was in E tier. Lel. Cry more Lucas!
Lost your mother, had to kill your brother, knowingly cause the death of 4 of the most helpful people of the world, your entire home town was brainwashed by Nintendo's Hitler, hated on by the fans for being a Ness Clone that got him killed in SSE, E tier in Brawl and now somewhat lackluster in Smash 4.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Lost your mother, had to kill your brother, knowingly cause the death of 4 of the most helpful people of the world, your entire home town was brainwashed by Nintendo's Hitler, hated on by the fans for being a Ness Clone that got him killed in SSE, E tier in Brawl and now somewhat lackluster in Smash 4.
Lucas is the only good thing on the Miiverse stage 'ur mom is ded' 'Just because you're back doesn't mean Claus'll be back' I wonder if Earthbound Beginnings will do well, or if Star Fox 2 will get released

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh, I figured he'd be a semiclone regardless. Not due to Roy getting changed up heavily, though, but because Marth was already changed. I'm playing as him a bit now, he seems a tad bit faster. But overall I can't find many differences. The one thing I did want was Roy having a different FS. I was disappointed when I found it was Critical Hit... until I realized it was specifically Roy's version of Critical Hit, which was the one thing I thought would happen. So that's good.

The big difference, of course, is that Roy is based on slashes and Marth/Lucina on thrusts. That changes the hitboxes.
Yeah, his F-Smash is more similar to Link then it is Marth now. I really wanted to see a unique FS that isn't a CH but i'm okay with it.
Do we know Lucas and Wolf were cut due to time constraints?
It had to be. Both characters have strong fanbase supports so theirs not really any explanation. It's the same reason for :mewtwomelee:.:roymelee:, and:drmario:not making it in to Brawl.

Yeah, his F-Smash is more similar to Link then it is Marth now. I really wanted to see a unique FS that isn't a CH but i'm okay with it.

It had to be. Both characters have strong fanbase supports so theirs not really any explanation. It's the same reason for :mewtwomelee:.:roymelee:, and:drmario:not making it in to Brawl.
At least the final smash is a unique move even if it doesnt have a unique name.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Sakurai also expressed wanting to make as least cuts as possible, not to mention the fact that he confirmed there were initially more characters to be on the roster than we got in the initial release dates, more than enough evidence that they were low priority characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom