• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I feel I'm going to be a minority, but G&W.

It's the closest of the artstyle I love the most out of the whole game, the only one that would have been closer is Paper Mario.

But honestly, the question would have been quite hard without him....they all look cool, I would be tempted to say Zelda because link and Toon link :)
It's funny how Fire Emblem and paper Mario have the exact same developer... Intelligent Systems

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's a fun topic. Which represented franchise in Smash do you guys think has the coolest looking characters? Even though I'm a HUGE Zelda fan and love Link, ever since I unlocked Marth and Roy in Melee, the Fire Emblem characters have always held a special place in my heart. Just look at them. They're so damn beautiful.
I'd have to say Guild Wars Pokémon.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It's funny how Fire Emblem and paper Mario have the exact same developer... Intelligent Systems
....not really, I think there was one composer who composed for both FE and TTYD.

Also, spm showed me that they really love retro design, soemthing I think they do in FE too.

It's jsut that they have some common in philosophies, but they are just interpreted very differently.

Troykv

Smash Master
Here's a fun topic. Which represented franchise in Smash do you guys think has the coolest looking characters? Even though I'm a HUGE Zelda fan and love Link, ever since I unlocked Marth and Roy in Melee, the Fire Emblem characters have always held a special place in my heart. Just look at them. They're so damn beautiful.
Fire Emblem, I like their style in general.

....not really, I think there was one composer who composed for both FE and TTYD.

Also, spm showed me that they really love retro design, soemthing I think they do in FE too.

It's jsut that they have some common in philosophies, but they are just interpreted very differently.
I seem to remember that TTYD had a cameo to Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
1) F-Zero's last title came out 3 years in the US before Mother 3's only release.
2) While on the life support of Smash, :4falcon: has been used through NintendoLand and Mario Kart 8 to keep him present while fans eagerly wait each year for the next title.

Both have their issues, but the major difference is F-Zero is being used outside of Smash and Nintendo has at least showed interest on using him in the future while being massive teases about it.
I've heard things like Miyamoto didn't even know about demand for the series or that he wants to wait "until a controller that fits the series is invented".
Wouldn't surprise me, he sometimes has some odd ideas.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So.
I was just recently informed.
That the man behind the MetroidVania Castlevania games has gone the way of Inafune and Playtonic.
I was unaware that Iga left/was kicked out of Konami.

So they've lost Castlevania, they've lost Metal Gear, Bomberman's reduced to a Mobile series.

All Smash-y Konami series are becoming but faded memories.

Edit: @Spazzy_D , since you're Mr. Bomberman and Konami by connection, how do you feel about this?

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
..I'm just gonna ask this.
Was anyone else disappointed with this reveal of a Smashified character?
I mean, I respect the Mother 4 fan game staff for trying to pick up where Creatures has said they have no need on touching the series again (at least, Itoi did)... but it was a very lackluster actual character because he IS limited to a fan game of a dead series.
I thought it was cool for the whole "MOTHER's Day" pun and whatnot, but I mostly agree with this. At the same time, Smashifies are just fan art (of a really really high caliber) in the end.

I may or may not just be a bit salty because Takamaru, Lip and Mike Jones, characters who belong to Nintendo and have almost zero high tier art, will probably not get this treatment. :(

The thing about smashification is it gets publicity.

maybe it will swing a few votes one way or the other. Maybe I want them to do a few characters I want playable for that purpose :p

My sig is not an advertisement at all. Nope

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
So.
I was just recently informed.
That the man behind the MetroidVania Castlevania games has gone the way of Inafune and Playtonic.
I was unaware that Iga left/was kicked out of Konami.

So they've lost Castlevania, they've lost Metal Gear, Bomberman's reduced to a Mobile series.

All Smash-y Konami series are becoming but faded memories.

Edit: @Spazzy_D , since you're Mr. Bomberman and Konami by connection, how do you feel about this?
Castlevania has been doomed ever since you lost the ability to love Lords of Shadow anyway. I'm very excited for the kickstarter.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I really hate the state of the game industry nowadays, where creativity and experimentation is largely spurned, b-tier franchises are being left in the dust left and right, longstanding publishers without a Call of Duty equivalent are going bust, grit and blood has replaced colour and charm and the successful franchises just pump out almost the same thing on an annual basis.

I suppose Nintendo is the exception to some of this (though their b and c-tier franchises show up much less regularly than they used to), but they're so dumb with almost everything other than the quality of their games it's still not exactly a favourable situation.

I miss what gaming was in the fourth to sixth gens. :(

Burruni

Smash Hero
I really hate the state of the game industry nowadays, where creativity and experimentation is largely spurned, b-tier franchises are being left in the dust left and right, longstanding publishers without a Call of Duty equivalent are going bust, grit and blood has replaced colour and charm and the successful franchises just pump out almost the same thing on an annual basis.

I suppose Nintendo is the exception to some of this (though their b and c-tier franchises show up much less regularly than they used to), but they're so dumb with almost everything other than the quality of their games it's still not exactly a favourable situation.

Legitimately, Gamecube-PS2-Xbox was the best generation to balance innovation with graphical capability and gameplay.

That's my opinion. Maybe because GBA was also one of the best handhelds in terms of a library

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

You and me both, sister.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

I'm probably with you there but it's more of a double edge sword here.

It feels like that we are in the apex of the best and worst times in gaming but I don't feel like it's all gloom and doom but know the situations.

Companies with B-tier franchises survive but there get money hatted for exclusives to keep themselves afloat (see Persona 5, Bayonetta 2, etc..), those franchises have spiritual successors and while I'm not a fan of crowd-funded games, the things it has done and brought is surprising and impressive.

The worst of it is something that will shake off like mobile gaming (which is big in Japan but rarely has that much foothold in the West), those AAA games which will implode (which all it needs is a strike and companies would have go for a unionize deal) and politics and whatever views in gaming (which only works with indie developers and big companies will not gnome because they know there's no market for that crop and will forget about it).

It's just swinging pendulum of emotions. It can't crash because the industry is too big and it might be worst if it does, the trends won't last forever (look at CoD, sales are dropping fast since Ghosts and Activision is trying their damnest to get sales back up and motion controls are all but dead and replaced with VR).

Even then, I won't lose my faith in the big 3 companies either (maybe Sony but they still have Persona and Street Fighter exclusively.) and I can see them last another generation or 3.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Come on guys! We all know who has the highest chance. Our favorite Robot Master....(Pauses for dramatic effect)....Toad Man!:awesome: .................................................I kid.

I hate games where everything is a fatality, and I hate blood and gore, so you can imagine how I feel about the first person shooters. Another thing that bugs me is the opinion that Nintendo is for kids... They do know that most Nintendo fans are older people right?
It wasn't always this way though. I hate most of the X-Box games now but my gaming journey started there. The first console game I played was Megaman Anniversary Collection, and I frequently played Tak (The Great Juju Challenge and Staff of Dreams), Pirates: The Legend of the Black Cat, Dungeons and Dragons (I may or may not have abused the invincibility cheat code.), and SSX Trickey.

But I'm getting off topic here sooooooooooooo.....What gaming series would you like to see revived through smash for nostalgic reasons? (Probably goes without saying, but you can't mention dead franchises that already have a character like F-0, or Duck Hunt :))

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Mario series, largely because they're so much more detailed in Smash than they are in their actual games. Honestly, Mario's overalls and Bowser's shell have been the Golden Ratios for detail in the Smash games since Melee.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So I bought Dillon's Rolling western 2 and Sakura Samurai, both of them need to be characters. Also i was thinking about characters that would be similar to Duck Hunt or Game & Watch, you know characters that are the embodiments of an area in Nintendo or at least a peripheral with some historical importance and these are what came to mind.

The E-shop bag: An icon that represents Nintendo's step into the digital age

E: meaning the e reader, this one's hard because the piece of hardware as no face, really so i don't know how that would be a character.

Last edited:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
As is Advance Wars. It's sad because Fire Emblem is the only one of the three that's healthy right now.
Paper Mario's last game was in 2012, they likely didn't kill the series and are probably going to listen to the fans, there's also many rumors so IS probably knows the demand.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Fire Emblem, I like their style in general.

I seem to remember that TTYD had a cameo to Fire Emblem.
it doesn't have a cameo, but it does have an explicit refference because when TTYD released, so was FE on gba. It's just a small toad that says FE is cool :)

Unfortunately, they didn't did it again. pm64 and TTYD are the only game that had easter egg on current and future dev, there was a refference in TTYD about luigi taking a stronger role in the next game which, I think, we can all agree was a success :)

I honestly didn't got why Mr L is that loved.....I honestly liked more O'Chunk than him because of his silly humor (and the fact that he kepts throwing you).

Paper Mario's last game was in 2012, they likely didn't kill the series and are probably going to listen to the fans, there's also many rumors so IS probably knows the demand.
they didn;t kill the series, they will if they don';t go back to root, but there's a lot of evidences pointing towards they know what fans want, they even asked on social medias.

Plus, I actually played and reviewed SS....I got how needed a back to root, I think i am too becomming tired of SS.....still hoping for this E3.....

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
As is Advance Wars. It's sad because Fire Emblem is the only one of the three that's healthy right now.
Advance Wars has some life left since Fire Emblem is still dependent. Being a sister series and IS said they were going back to the series at some point, Wars series has enough life.

Paper Mario will go on as long as other Mario RPGs exist as well (remember Dream Team)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Advance Wars has some life left since Fire Emblem is still dependent. Being a sister series and IS said they were going back to the series at some point, Wars series has enough life.

Paper Mario will go on as long as other Mario RPGs exist as well (remember Dream Team)
I honestly think Paper Mario can live on its own.

If they go back to root.....

Pakky

Smash Hero
I love thousand year door, don't really have any feelings for Super Paper Mario, though the villains are cool.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That's easy.

Nah, but seriously, I like the goofy and colourful world of Mario.

:231:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I honestly think Paper Mario can live on its own.

If they go back to root.....
I honestly think Sonic can live on Its own

If they Go back to root ...

I honestly think Final Fantasy can live on its own

If they Go back to root...

Its been years since dev say "Go to the root" and it´s work for like 90% Of the series and it´s always fail .

So no , i prefer them to take risk and fail than fail While trying to copycat their past glory

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I honestly think Sonic can live on Its own

If they Go back to root ...

I honestly think Final Fantasy can live on its own

If they Go back to root...

Its been years since dev say "Go to the root" and it´s work for like 90% Of the series and it´s always fail .

So no , i prefer them to take risk and fail than fail While trying to copycat their past glory
They honestrly did it well with spm and it was renew.

SS was intended to be a back to root, but it was not due to a communication issue that caused a prject shift.

Now, pretty much everyone wanted tthe project shift to not happen.....

yeah....the way I meant it is that the series pretty much doesn't have much chances if it doesn't do it. I'm however happy that spm wasn't TTYD 2 which many people don't agree with, but in the end, spm contributed more than anything...

They actually had WAY MORE risk potential after spm, but that potential pretty much is gone. Back to root after spm wasn't much neccessary....now it almost is.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
They honestrly did it well with spm and it was renew.

SS was intended to be a back to root, but it was not due to a communication issue that caused a prject shift.

Now, pretty much everyone wanted tthe project shift to not happen.....

yeah....the way I meant it is that the series pretty much doesn't have much chances if it doesn't do it. I'm however happy that spm wasn't TTYD 2 which many people don't agree with, but in the end, spm contributed more than anything...

They actually had WAY MORE risk potential after spm, but that potential pretty much is gone. Back to root after spm wasn't much neccessary....now it almost is.
They take risk at each games , why would they suddently want to Go back to the root after 1 game ( i found stikers star pretty cool , fun ... And btw i Hope Paper Mario Rep Will Get in ;D)
Final Fantasy don't Go back after XIII tragedy and Look now , FFXV is almost winning every fan hearts .

Sonic is a special case , his fandom Really Look-a-Like Smash , each game have his niche Of fan , but they all agree That his universe is fantastic .
His last game is horrible .
A lot Of fan are waiting for the 25 th anniversary since it could be the last chance to shine

Why Paper Mario have Go back ? All Of his game is great and have their niche Of fan ( i love them all btw , but the gamecube one won my heart <3 )

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
They take risk at each games , why would they suddently want to Go back to the root after 1 game ( i found stikers star pretty cool , fun ... And btw i Hope Paper Mario Rep Will Get in ;D)
Final Fantasy don't Go back after XIII tragedy and Look now , FFXV is almost winning every fan hearts .

Sonic is a special case , his fandom Really Look-a-Like Smash , each game have his niche Of fan , but they all agree That his universe is fantastic .
His last game is horrible .
A lot Of fan are waiting for the 25 th anniversary since it could be the last chance to shine

Why Paper Mario have Go back ? All Of his game is great and have their niche Of fan ( i love them all btw , but the gamecube one won my heart <3 )
....euh, it's mostly what happened with SS.

There's that Iwata ask that basically shows that in the end, Nintendo didn't really know what fans wanted. The result is SS broke most of the series while spm in comparision did nothing, it just renewed it. That's why I honestly agree to the SS hate. There's clear evidences that the game was rushed because of the project shift, again, this is not the case with spm.

In fact, that's why people make so many TTYD fake leak, they are like me pretty much tired of SS and the response they got on social media....was quite clear on the matter. They can do another spm, which I technically have nothing against, but with what happened with SS, it's everything but safe.

What I basically mean is that if SS didn't happened, they could have done every directions, but now, the demand of back to root is just too strong to ignore.

When I say this, I mean in any way, first 2 games inspired. I really don't care if it's remaster or new game, but I just want it to be first 2 games based.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
At least Fire Emblem is doing alright. I think Advance Wars will make a resurgence at some point, and Paper Mario is definitely going to continue on at some point - as exciting and fresh as it is, I think Codename: S.T.E.A.M. is just a one-time sojourn for Intelligent Systems.

I think it has (Naga help me) run out of steam at this point.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
At least Fire Emblem is doing alright. I think Advance Wars will make a resurgence at some point, and Paper Mario is definitely going to continue on at some point - as exciting and fresh as it is, I think Codename: S.T.E.A.M. is just a one-time sojourn for Intelligent Systems.

I think it has (Naga help me) run out of steam at this point.
STEAM made me think of something.

I was wondering if IS could put some stuff from that game to the Paper Mario series. I mean, I think if I was really into FE, I might spot some philosophies similarities....like warioware, I honestly think the artstyle is close to the Paper Mario one.

But steam is very freash....I wonder if it would happen.....

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
STEAM made me think of something.

I was wondering if IS could put some stuff from that game to the Paper Mario series. I mean, I think if I was really into FE, I might spot some philosophies similarities....like warioware, I honestly think the artstyle is close to the Paper Mario one.

But steam is very freash....I wonder if it would happen.....
The main concerns with S.T.E.A.M. was the artstyle and turn length. I could seem them giving it one more go after trying to make it more appealing to the masses. Just the once though.
If that fails, maybe they consider re-purposing its ideas.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
But I'm getting off topic here sooooooooooooo.....What gaming series would you like to see revived through smash for nostalgic reasons? (Probably goes without saying, but you can't mention dead franchises that already have a character like F-0, or Duck Hunt :))
Battalion Wars of course. It needs a revival.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Arguably Golden Sun, but I still don't think its quite old enough yet. Punch Out is never questioned even though its last title was 2009 and it had no games in like 15 years prior to that.

Also Panel de Pon.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

This is how I feel as well. The good but no so good news though, is that it seems as if the industry is seeing fatigue from the overabundance of gritty shooters. I'm all for playing Halo and what not, but there really are too many shooters out there.

It's not Nintendo that is in danger of failing. It's Sony and Microsoft. None of their successful IP's do anything truthfully innovative, and I LIKE a lot of their series. It's also the reason why PSASBR was bad imo. Every other character had guns or something. It just seemed dumb.

Come back to me in 5 years and i will say kid icarus :p

I would be ok with a kid icarus game based on the original style and is hard again.
revive kid icarus 1 and uprising becomes its own seperate series.
like the split between 2d and 3d metroid but not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom