• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Not 4chan, actually, but Smashboards itself (though the poster themself said to take them all with a grain of salt, which I did):
http://smashboards.com/threads/deleted-character-from-ssb-ssbm-ssbb-please-read.117686/

Of course, the thread has all the credibility of the Klonoa leak, so again that's why I took it with a grain of salt.
It should be taken with so much salt that you will die from dehydration. Considering Ridley's status during Melee's days (just a random boss with f***ing awesome boss theme [...which actually doesn't belongs only to him] who appeared as much as Kraid did), its f***ing impossible.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
It should be taken with so much salt that you will die from dehydration. Considering Ridley's status during Melee's days (just a random boss with f***ing awesome boss theme [...which actually doesn't belongs only to him] who appeared as much as Kraid did), its f***ing impossible.
Eh, there were more out-there suggestions at the time, though; so it's sort of easy to fall into that.

Though if Zero Mission (and, by extension, the manga) had been around between 1999 and 2001, I think there'd be a whole different tune to sing. But it didn't happen, and now the very subject of Ridley is about as loaded as a nuclear bomb. :p

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Eh, there were more out-there suggestions at the time, though; so it's sort of easy to fall into that.

Though if Zero Mission (and, by extension, the manga) had been around between 1999 and 2001, I think there'd be a whole different tune to sing. But it didn't happen, and now the very subject of Ridley is about as loaded as a nuclear bomb. :p
Fusion was the first one to show Ridley killing Samus' parents (well, he was preparing to do so in one of the ending images rather than actually being shown in process of doing so). Well, at least Japanese version did. Those images can be unlocked to Zero Mission by linking it to Metroid Fusion. Melee was released in 2001 before Fusion's release in Japan, which happened in 2003.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Hold on because this sounded like a lie when people said it. Did Pit really get into Brawl because of fan demand? Is like Kid Icarus a cult classic or something? Not trying to insult people, but I just don't see how that one game was that popular to demand a huge amount of out cry from fans.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hold on because this sounded like a lie when people said it. Did Pit really get into Brawl because of fan demand? Is like Kid Icarus a cult classic or something? Not trying to insult people, but I just don't see how that one game was that popular to demand a huge amount of out cry from fans.
Two games.

And yes. People loved Kid Icarus so much that he got a western exclusive sequel.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Separate. I think it was a Gameboy game or something.
I never played it, and I'm 22, guess I just missed it.

edit

Came out in 1991, welp I was most likely a twinkle in my father's eye, so yeah. The more you know.

Looking back, its a shame Dark Pit is in this game instead of Medusa.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I never played it, and I'm 22, guess I just missed it.

edit

Came out in 1991, welp I was most likely a twinkle in my father's eye, so yeah. The more you know.

Looking back, its a shame Dark Pit is in this game instead of Medusa.
But knowing is half the battle.

Probably so. But i think many would have preferred her to have her own moveset rather than being a pure clone.

Pakky

Smash Hero
But knowing is half the battle.

Probably so. But i think many would have preferred her to have her own moveset rather than being a pure clone.
True. What's up with this lack of villains in smash? There are like three. Others are anti-heroes or bad friends.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Two games.

And yes. People loved Kid Icarus so much that he got a western exclusive sequel.
Wow he got one whole region-exclusive sequel? And another only twenty years later? :p

I don't think Pit demand was ever anything that special, though obv it existed prior to his inclusion in Smash, and people didn't really start clamoring for a new KI until post Brawl.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Wow he got one whole region-exclusive sequel? And another only twenty years later? :p

I don't think Pit demand was ever anything that special, though obv it existed prior to his inclusion in Smash, and people didn't really start clamoring for a new KI until post Brawl.
Which makes me believe that it was a marketing ploy, but I digress.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
True. What's up with this lack of villains in smash? There are like three. Others are anti-heroes or bad friends.
Because there aren't much true villains that are worth adding. The only villains that are worth adding and are actual villains are K.Rool and Ridley. But lolnope, Ridley is too big and must be 120% true to the source and K.Rool is just...Did Sakurai ever said why he isn't playable? It doesn't matters much though since he most likely will be DLC.
Which makes me believe that it was a marketing ploy, but I digress.
KI:U wasn't planned at that time.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That reminds me, love the mod you made. And yeah the politics around Ridley are a bunch of bull, but you know that.
Thanks and many know that. Im talking about those who wants Ridley to be playable. Those who matter the most in this case. Can't change/cancel customer's order because you think there is something wrong with it (not as in its dangerous to eat and more like you think its too spicy) when customer doesn't cares about that problem.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Thanks and many know that. Im talking about those who wants Ridley to be playable. Those who matter the most in this case. Can't change/cancel customer's order because you think there is something wrong with it (not as in its dangerous to eat and more like you think its too spicy) when customer doesn't cares about that problem.
This might be a bit off topic and controversial but I personally feel that if a series does have a consistent villain they should be added over any sidekick or friend. Because without conflict you have no game.

Also in terms of Metroid, its funny to hear all the alternatives to Ridley like Rundas. Who is Rundas compared to Ridley? It's like comparing Wart to Bowser.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This might be a bit off topic and controversial but I personally feel that if a series does have a consistent villain they should be added over any sidekick or friend. Because without conflict you have no game.

Also in terms of Metroid, its funny to hear all the alternatives to Ridley like Rundas. Who is Rundas compared to Ridley? It's like comparing Wart to Bowser.
I agree with that. You can have a game with a story without a friend, rival, sidekick, etc. but you can't have a game with a story without an antagonist.

Wart at least was the main antagonist of Super Mario Bros. 2. Rundas is an NPC that appears for a minute or two and has one boss fight.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
What are you guys' thoughts on overrepresentation?

I personally don't care all that much, as long as those so-called "going overboard" characters are fun or interesting or cool. I'll welcome pretty much any character like that, regardless of whether or not that series / game "deserved it" or not. This is what baffles me about the hate toward FE and KI:U content in Smash 4, at least on the casting side of things. Lucina, Robin, Palutena, and Dark Pit are all enjoyable characters in their own games and they have interesting personalities here, so what does it REALLY matter if they get in and your favorite character doesn't? I'd maybe tweak Lucina and especially Dark Pit more to have more dynamic differences from Marth and Pit, but otherwise I enjoy their inclusion and I like playing their bases anyway, so I enjoy playing their clones too.

I confess to being somewhat concerned with underrepresentation, though. Ever since the original Smash came out on the Nintendo 64 I'd wanted and hoped for both K. Rool and Samurai Goroh. I liked F-Zero and Donkey Kong Country as a kid and felt both series could use a few more characters other than the protagonist / mascot. After a few years I enjoyed Golden Sun and wanted Isaac. I loooove Captain Falcon and Donkey Kong but have been somewhat disheartened that some of the other notable characters from their games haven't gotten a chance to shine in the ring. And Isaac's earth-shifting powers would be so cool in a Smash game.

With DKC stuff in Smash, though, I've really enjoyed Diddy Kong and I could be just as satisfied if I got Dixie, even if K. Rool never got in (as much as I'd want him to be). But I think F-Zero could still use just one other character. Soooo many cool and interesting racers, but sadly the series itself isn't very popular among these boards, just the good captain himself (and boy is he popular, haha). At the very least, I'd like the captain's rival Samurai Goroh to be playable. Give him a hammy personality and over-the-top katana-swinging abilities that go beyond the realm of normal possibility, as a counterpart to Captain Falcon's over-the-top fisticuffs. I think even non-F-Zero fans would love that, haha. As for Isaac, I'll want him forever even if Golden Sun is pretty dead and unpopular by this point. Golden Sun was such a great game.

Despite my concerns on that, I can deal with it fine. If I don't get all the characters I want, I still find myself having tons of fun with the newcomers I DID get. Although I wanted Toad, Rosalina's been tons of fun for me, as micro-managing her Luma has been very rewarding. As much as I wanted Mike Jones for my retro pick, I'm having a BLAST with Little Mac, since it feels satisfying to correctly space all his punches and dart around and hit hard like a human bullet. I'm not mad at either character for getting in, because at the end of the day Smash's cast will always be incredible fun.

Still tho. Waitin' on that Dixie / K. Rool / Goroh / Isaac. Maybe someday.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I realized why I dislike Splatoon so much: Yoshio Sakamoto is involved!
"Metroid Other M didn't sell well because the main character was a woman" Fusion, Prime 3, large fans of the franchise... I am not forgiving this guy. Thank you based @Kalimdori for noting that article in your review
But...the Inkling girl is the promotional face they're pushing, the Inkling boy is mostly ignored or out of focus. If anything this would be proof attitudes towards women as protagonists are changing in the East.

Conker wouldn't get a chance over Banjo-Kazooie. One game, not as popular, and was created to be a sharp contrast to the "Nintendo Formula." I'd more expect a BattleToad to eventually get in as a second "Rare" character,
Actually Conker did have another game for the Gameboy Colour; Conker's Pocket Tales. It's completely different from his more infamous "Bad Fur Day". Was actually the first Nintendo game I officially owned(but not the first I played).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But...the Inkling girl is the promotional face they're pushing, the Inkling boy is mostly ignored or out of focus. If anything this would be proof attitudes towards women as protagonists are changing in the East.

Actually Conker did have another game for the Gameboy Colour; Conker's Pocket Tales. It's completely different from his more infamous "Bad Fur Day". Was actually the first Nintendo game I officially owned(but not the first I played).
Sakamoto did say that the reason the Prime games were succesful was because the players don't know Samus is a woman. Kalim's got the article

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Guess ill post some likely dlc characters (in no particular order and just newcomers)

Bandana Waddle Dee
Paper Mario
Captain Toad

King K.Rool
Issac
Dixie Kong
Inkling
Roy
Ryu

Impa
Tell me if I should add someone

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Sakamoto did say that the reason the Prime games were succesful was because the players don't know Samus is a woman. Kalim's got the article
Metroid isn't a big franchise, its likely a large portion of the sales were to fans of Metroid and people who are knowledgeable about it. It was a gamecube title after all.
Im pretty sure the vast majority of people who played those games knew she was a women. In Prime 3 you even see her at the start.
Also anyone who mistakes her attacked screams for a mans needs their hearing checked.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Metroid isn't a big franchise
That's cute
its likely a large portion of the sales were to fans of Metroid and people who are knowledgeable about it. It was a gamecube title after all.
Im pretty sure the vast majority of people who played those games knew she was a women. In Prime 3 you even see her at the start.
Sakamoto outright said that in the article, not to mention he said that the story being bad was impossible
Also anyone who mistakes her attacked screens for a mans needs their hearing checked.
? Don't you mean screams?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually remember Pit being quite damn popular as a request prior to his reveal in Brawl.

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
Baby Mario/Luigi could be cool but Kamek is my Ideal choice . Just change the Smash run and MKU ones a different color

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I realized why I dislike Splatoon so much: Yoshio Sakamoto is involved!
"Metroid Other M didn't sell well because the main character was a woman" Fusion, Prime 3, large fans of the franchise... I am not forgiving this guy. Thank you based @Kalimdori for noting that article in your review
If your issue with Splatoon is really one man that you have an intrinsic grudge against, I seriously suggest you reconsider your priorities. That is not healthy.

You're right.
We should be supporting the Stork.

Anyone remember when this was a thing?
Damn it now I actually want this to be a thing.

Final Smash breaking free from its bonds and going on a baby blitzkrieg plz~

I actually remember Pit being quite damn popular as a request prior to his reveal in Brawl.
Thank you based fan demand-sama~ <3

Guess ill post some likely dlc characters (in no particular order and just newcomers)

Bandana Waddle Dee
Paper Mario
Captain Toad

King K.Rool
Issac
Dixie Kong
Inkling
Roy
Ryu

Impa
Seems good! I'm not entirely sure about Impa, honestly (though I would very much like to see her), but the rest seems reasonable.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
If your issue with Splatoon is really one man that you have an intrinsic grudge against, I seriously suggest you reconsider your priorities. That is not healthy.

Damn it now I actually want this to be a thing.

Final Smash breaking free from its bonds and going on a baby blitzkrieg plz~

Thank you based fan demand-sama~ <3

Seems good! I'm not entirely sure about Impa, honestly (though I would very much like to see her), but the rest seems reasonable.
half im neutral on, I just heard she was the most likely Zelda rep

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Impa's probably the most likely character if Zelda was specifically going to get a new character, but as we all know, Sakurai doesn't work that way.

The chances of a Zelda character appearing at all are up in the air.

Burruni

Smash Hero
This is somthing we REALLY need
Another :yoshi: character
Baby Bros. confirmed for Smash 4 DLC. Little did we know that THIS was Sakurai's plan on creating a two-character-one-skeleton version of Ice Climbers into the game without alienating the original fans.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
What are you guys' thoughts on overrepresentation?

I personally don't care all that much, as long as those so-called "going overboard" characters are fun or interesting or cool. I'll welcome pretty much any character like that, regardless of whether or not that series / game "deserved it" or not. This is what baffles me about the hate toward FE and KI:U content in Smash 4, at least on the casting side of things. Lucina, Robin, Palutena, and Dark Pit are all enjoyable characters in their own games and they have interesting personalities here, so what does it REALLY matter if they get in and your favorite character doesn't? I'd maybe tweak Lucina and especially Dark Pit more to have more dynamic differences from Marth and Pit, but otherwise I enjoy their inclusion and I like playing their bases anyway, so I enjoy playing their clones too.

I confess to being somewhat concerned with underrepresentation, though. Ever since the original Smash came out on the Nintendo 64 I'd wanted and hoped for both K. Rool and Samurai Goroh. I liked F-Zero and Donkey Kong Country as a kid and felt both series could use a few more characters other than the protagonist / mascot. After a few years I enjoyed Golden Sun and wanted Isaac. I loooove Captain Falcon and Donkey Kong but have been somewhat disheartened that some of the other notable characters from their games haven't gotten a chance to shine in the ring. And Isaac's earth-shifting powers would be so cool in a Smash game.

With DKC stuff in Smash, though, I've really enjoyed Diddy Kong and I could be just as satisfied if I got Dixie, even if K. Rool never got in (as much as I'd want him to be). But I think F-Zero could still use just one other character. Soooo many cool and interesting racers, but sadly the series itself isn't very popular among these boards, just the good captain himself (and boy is he popular, haha). At the very least, I'd like the captain's rival Samurai Goroh to be playable. Give him a hammy personality and over-the-top katana-swinging abilities that go beyond the realm of normal possibility, as a counterpart to Captain Falcon's over-the-top fisticuffs. I think even non-F-Zero fans would love that, haha. As for Isaac, I'll want him forever even if Golden Sun is pretty dead and unpopular by this point. Golden Sun was such a great game.

Despite my concerns on that, I can deal with it fine. If I don't get all the characters I want, I still find myself having tons of fun with the newcomers I DID get. Although I wanted Toad, Rosalina's been tons of fun for me, as micro-managing her Luma has been very rewarding. As much as I wanted Mike Jones for my retro pick, I'm having a BLAST with Little Mac, since it feels satisfying to correctly space all his punches and dart around and hit hard like a human bullet. I'm not mad at either character for getting in, because at the end of the day Smash's cast will always be incredible fun.

Still tho. Waitin' on that Dixie / K. Rool / Goroh / Isaac. Maybe someday.

Honestly, I would like a couple more Mario reps to finish the Mario roster. Maybe add a few Sonic reps and more Pikmin captain skins.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

Bandana Waddle Dee
Paper Mario
Captain Toad

King K.Rool
Issac
Dixie Kong
Inkling
Ryu
Impa
The problem with Captain Toad....he can't jump.

And Inkling is getting a full on Mii costume and a third Mario would be......

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Impa's probably the most likely character if Zelda was specifically going to get a new character, but as we all know, Sakurai doesn't work that way.

The chances of a Zelda character appearing at all are up in the air.
Of course, there's always the chance of Toon Zelda or Tetra. Despite the fact that it's another Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom