• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Like this post if you think Sakurai already has quite a few characters selected, even without looking at the ballot.

#FreeLikes
#SWFgood
#girl
#nofilter
#ILoveHorses
#SakuraiIsUberTrollTier
Almost certainly. Seems like as good a system as any for ol' Saksak~ :3

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There's actually an interesting connection between the main website and the mobile version if you're willing to hear in a PM.
Sure, go ahead and send me the PM. You've gotten me curious.

Like this post if you think Sakurai already has quite a few characters selected, even without looking at the ballot.
Me theory is that he's prioritizing characters he had planned for the main game (likely includes a lot of veterans given his dislike of cutting characters) before he sits down pondering about the ballot's results.

I mean, Mewtwo is releasing this month. Lucas looks almost done (given he already has a trailer) and scheduled for a June release.

There ought to be more things being worked on. They likely saved something for E3 and for a possible Nintendo Direct in August or September.

I wouldn't be surprised if all DLC characters we get before the ballot's end are all veterans from Brawl or maybe Melee clones given they're easier to make and recreate for the new game. If any newcomer is revealed before the ballot, it's likely to be scrapped content from the main game relegated to DLC.

Wolf is very likely to be revealed at E3 thanks to the new Star Fox game.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I showed the Simon Belmont post to the Castlevania Facebook group. :)
I actually have an account with Castlevania Dungeon, even though I haven't logged on in years. Maybe I'll stop by and leave a link.

@PushDustIn has recruited a few of us from Smashboards (@ SmashChu SmashChu , @ DMurr DMurr , @TheNerdyOne_ , @Aeris, and myself) to write or otherwise contribute on his site. I feel like it's shaping up quite nicely, there are a lot of Smash blogs out there, but I strongly believe in the quality of the content on this one. Well, except for my articles. Those are obviously crap.

EDIT: Look what I found - http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,7893.0.html

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Frostwraith Frostwraith

I agree with your theory. Mewtwo and Lucas were cut and they are coming back. Wolf and Ice Climbers were cut and I think they might come back (Ice Climbers might be revamped, maybe go solo) and possible newcomers would be Inkling and a third-party character (Rayman or Banjo-Kazooie).

But I do think Sakurai and Nintendo will use the Smash Ballot results to select the most popular newcomers and the most unique newcomers (even if they didn't get much votes) for SSB5. It's basically the SSB4/SSB5 equivalent to the Melee/Brawl polls.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo would want to establish a steady stream of Smash DLC. We know what Mewtwo is April and that Lucas is in June, it would not surprise me to find our that they want to release a new DLC fighter every two months. If that is the case, than the other fighters would already have some preliminary work done on them.

Nintendo likely has around two more character in the work, I would say Wolf and an obvious newcomer (Dixie?,) and that the Smash Ballot will not figure in until after development on those characters is well underway.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
SmashChu is now writing his views about Smash on PushDustIn's site eh?

Ok.

I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo would want to establish a steady stream of Smash DLC. We know what Mewtwo is April and that Lucas is in May, it would not surprise me to find our that they want to release a new DLC fighter every two months. If that is the case, than the other fighters would already have some preliminary work done on them.

Nintendo likely has around two more character in the work, I would say Wolf and an obvious newcomer (Dixie?,) and that the Smash Ballot will not figure in until after development on those characters is well underway.
Agreed. I think we'll be seeing DLC characters in April, June (obv), Sept, Nov, and for the better part of next year, though perhaps a little less frequently. My guess is Sakurai has two more unrevealed characters planned (one of whom is Wolf) before the ballot's results start dictating the DLC.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo would want to establish a steady stream of Smash DLC. We know what Mewtwo is April and that Lucas is in May, it would not surprise me to find our that they want to release a new DLC fighter every two months. If that is the case, than the other fighters would already have some preliminary work done on them.

Actually, Lucas is in June, not May.

With Mewtwo and the first set of Mii fighters scheduled for this month, I hardly believe they will only focus on Lucas for the next two months. They already have more in the works, likely to be shown at E3.

And let's not forget about the Miiverse stage and Tournament mode that were oddly absent in the last Nintendo Direct, especially with Mewtwo being almost finished and Lucas being announced.

@ Frostwraith Frostwraith

I agree with your theory. Mewtwo and Lucas were cut and they are coming back. Wolf and Ice Climbers were cut and I think they might come back (Ice Climbers might be revamped, maybe go solo) and possible newcomers would be Inkling and a third-party character (Rayman or Banjo-Kazooie).

But I do think Sakurai and Nintendo will use the Smash Ballot results to select the most popular newcomers and the most unique newcomers (even if they didn't get much votes) for SSB5. It's basically the SSB4/SSB5 equivalent to the Melee/Brawl polls.
I find Wolf to be more likely than the Ice Climbers, who I think they will only come back if they can manage to find a solution that has them running fine on the 3DS version.

Given Sakurai's statements, I'd guess Wolf may have more priority and Ice Climbers being New 3DS exclusive is something I don't see happening at all.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Actually, Lucas is in June, not May.

With Mewtwo and the first set of Mii fighters scheduled for this month, I hardly believe they will only focus on Lucas for the next two months. They already have more in the works, likely to be shown at E3.

And let's not forget about the Miiverse stage and Tournament mode that were oddly absent in the last Nintendo Direct, especially with Mewtwo being almost finished and Lucas being announced.

I find Wolf to be more likely than the Ice Climbers, who I think they will only come back if they can manage to find a solution that has them running fine on the 3DS version.

Given Sakurai's statements, I'd guess Wolf may have more priority and Ice Climbers being New 3DS exclusive is something I don't see happening at all.
I meant June. May would obviously be a one month interval between characters and not two like I originally stated. Fixed in my original post.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I actually have an account with Castlevania Dungeon, even though I haven't logged on in years. Maybe I'll stop by and leave a link.

@PushDustIn has recruited a few of us from Smashboards (@ SmashChu SmashChu , @ DMurr DMurr , @TheNerdyOne_ , @Aeris, and myself) to write or otherwise contribute on his site. I feel like it's shaping up quite nicely, there are a lot of Smash blogs out there, but I strongly believe in the quality of the content on this one. Well, except for my articles. Those are obviously crap.

EDIT: Look what I found - http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,7893.0.html
Lol, if I ever get around to writing one. Had a lot going on lately, but I'll probably try to throw something together on who I think will be DLC since that's what all the cool kids are doing

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
SmashChu is now writing his views about Smash on PushDustIn's site eh?

I can't stop staring at Alison Brie.

Also, related to the point of this post, it's nice to have a wide variety of opinions on the blog. I would actually love to do a point/counter point somewhere down the line.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It kinda is, just think about the F-Zero series, I know that Falcon counts as 100 man in one but still
The factor is not just "oh this series needs another character!" Look at the differentiation of the fighters. :4falcon:has only his final smash that ties directly to his original source because there's not much else one COULD do for a character in a sole racing game that thrives on simple controls and insane speed. :4fox: was from effectively a rail shooter but his moveset comes from the weaponry of the Arwing and the general space soldier theme. The only "justificaton" someone has given for another F-Zero character is Black Shadow because people keep whining about Falcondorf and giving BS the moveset would allow a Dark Knight styled Ganondorf. Pokemon is a series with a constantly evolving pool of characters with dozens that could easily be Smash worthy off of their own abilities.

Metroid, in comparison, is a series that is one of Nintendo's biggest... but it has a very shallow pool of characters. This being the reason why a Metroid newcomer is pretty much Ridley or Bust.

Think less of "Oh Donkey Kong gets 2 characters but FIRE EMBLEM gets FOUR," and more of "Hey, here's a character in Donkey Kong that'd bring a lot of value to Smash!" aka K. rool.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Does anyone think it might be possible for Nintendo to go the Playstation Allstars Battle Royale route regarding how to get the dlc characters?

Like for example, buying the new StarFox would give you a free downloadable code for Wolf whenever he gets announced.
(And near the release of Lucas, they announce the localization of Mother 3 along with a free downloadable code for those who buy it... one can wish.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Does anyone think it might be possible for Nintendo to go the Playstation Allstars Battle Royale route regarding how to get the dlc characters?

Like for example, buying the new StarFox would give you a free downloadable code for Wolf whenever he gets announced.
(And near the release of Lucas, they announce the localization of Mother 3 along with a free downloadable code for those who buy it... one can wish.)
They should do this yes. But I doubt that they will. $ talks after all...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Nintendo is one of the better companies when it comes to DLC so I could see that happening actually. It's GOOD promotion.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Nintendo is one of the better companies when it comes to DLC so I could see that happening actually. It's GOOD promotion.
IDK, i feel as if Nintendo is ripping us off with Smash 4 DLC. 4$ for a single character and nothing else seems overpriced to me. The 9$ for mii costumes also seems absurd.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To give you a sample, I'm going to be doing a few articles on the economics of DLC, applying economic theories to how Nintendo will administer DLC. It'll be up around Thursday.
Okay, interessting. How much do you predict a character is going to cost? $5,00 per character is about my estimation... I think they will handle Smash's DLC quite similary to Mario Kart 8's to be honest.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
IDK, i feel as if Nintendo is ripping us off with Smash 4 DLC. 4$ for a single character and nothing else seems overpriced to me. The 9$ for mii costumes also seems absurd.
Then you've never bought DLC or completed any other microtransaction on a different console before. For the amount of work a character takes according to Sakurai, it's shocking they're as low as $4.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yo if 4$ for a single character is too much for you take my advice and avoid every other fighting games. (Or really most games with DLC)

4$ is good on top of the fact you could get him for free if you have both versions

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Then you've never bought DLC or completed any other microtransaction on a different console before. For the amount of work a character takes according to Sakurai, it's shocking they're as low as $4.
Yeah, I take that back after seeing the ridiculous price for the destiny and COD DLC packs.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Yeah, I take that back after seeing the ridiculous price for the destiny and COD DLC packs.
Heck, look at the prices of TF2 guns. Flippin' $2.50 for a single gun on a single class. This Smash Character DLC is a steal if you ask me.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
For comparison sake Guilty Gear Xrd sells its characters for 8$ each. That's double the price on a fighting game that has a significantly smaller roster than Smash 4. And I consider that worth the price cuz the game is really good.

We are lucky as all hell LMAO

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
For comparison sake Guilty Gear Xrd sells its characters for 8$ each. That's double the price on a fighting game that has a significantly smaller roster than Smash 4. And I consider that worth the price cuz the game is really good.

We are lucky as all hell LMAO

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Have I ever mentioned that I dislike the idea of Shovel knight being the sole indie game rep? I mean, Quote from Cave Story is a better choice to represent indie games altogether. Cave Story is THE MOST influential indie game, imo. I don't think we'd have nearly as much indie games without Cave Story. After all, the story about how Cave Story was made still inspires me.

EITHER WAY, if we get both of them somehow I'd be REALLY happy. Shovel Knight still is a really good (I mean REALLY good) indie game, but I still think Cave Story should get DLC if shovel knight is even considered.

Imagine a trailer with pixelated Quote and Shovel Knight though. That would be epic.
The Mario of indie games and the... uh... SHULK (Really popular but recent) of indie games in the same trailer. EPIC.

I think this whole ballot thing is getting out of hand
https://twitter.com/ArtixKrieger/status/585183514003386369
Who in their right mind would vote for someone from adventure quest?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Have I ever mentioned that I dislike the idea of Shovel knight being the sole indie game rep? I mean, Quote from Cave Story is a better choice to represent indie games altogether. Cave Story is THE MOST influential indie game, imo. I don't think we'd have nearly as much indie games without Cave Story. After all, the story about how Cave Story was made still inspires me.

EITHER WAY, if we get both of them somehow I'd be REALLY happy. Shovel Knight still is a really good (I mean REALLY good) indie game, but I still think Cave Story should get DLC if shovel knight is even considered.

Imagine a trailer with pixelated Quote and Shovel Knight though. That would be epic.
The Mario of indie games and the... uh... SHULK (Really popular but recent) of indie games in the same trailer. EPIC.

Who in their right mind would vote for someone from adventure quest?
I dislike the idea of having more than one third-party as DLC in general. I do prefer the idea of having an Indie as third-party, but I definitely agree; if we get an Indie, it should be Quote.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I dislike the idea of having more than one third-party as DLC in general. I do prefer the idea of having an Indie as third-party, but I definitely agree; if we get an Indie, it should be Quote.
Thank you.

In all honesty I only said that shovel knight should get in with quote was so I wouldn't piss off anyone supporting shovel knight...

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I dunno if this has ever been placed here, but from the Custom Robo thread, here's the most requested newcomers in Japan as of February

http://imgur.com/vcMTEiX

(Sorry if this is misinformation, I'm just trying to pass info I received elsewhere)

Last edited:

RoysOurBoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5238-5359
At this point regarding Third Parties, the only plausible characters I can see are Snake, Banjo-Kazooie, and Rayman. Everyone else would need to show extreme fan support in order to be selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom