• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I dunno if this has ever been placed here, but from the Custom Robo thread, here's the most requested newcomers in Japan as of February

http://imgur.com/vcMTEiX

(Sorry if this is misinformation, I'm just trying to pass info I received elsewhere)
It's an old poll from February. Here's the full post, if anyone is interested. I just updated the post to make it clearer that it's old data. I wish I had a date on that poll picture now, as it's being passed around like crazy =/.
EDIT: I just noticed that you knew it was from February. Carry on!

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Can I just say how weird I find it that Japan just doesn't seem to care about an Inkling rep. I mean sure that poll is from february, but if I recall @ PushDustIn PushDustIn did a translation on 2chan(?) recently and there was also people there criticizing foreigners for wanting a character from a game that isn't even out yet.

Heck, looking at the poll, she's even less wanted then Bandana Dee! No offense to him of course, he is my most wanted, but he is generally not well received by the majority. So it really is a shock to see something like that.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Can I just say how weird I find it that Japan just doesn't seem to care about an Inkling rep. I mean sure that poll is from february, but if I recall @ PushDustIn PushDustIn did a translation on 2chan(?) recently and there was also people there criticizing foreigners for wanting a character from a game that isn't even out yet.

Heck, looking at the poll, she's even less wanted then Bandana Dee! No offense to him of course, he is my most wanted, but he is generally not well received by the majority. So it really is a shock to see something like that.
It's mostly because the game hasn't been released yet. Once it's released, I'm sure more people will support.
I think the Inklings have a fair shot, as it's a new IP that Nintendo is pushing quite heavily. I think Olimar was considered for Melee (don't quote me on it quite yet), and you could argue that Pikmin was in the same spot as Splatoon is now.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

You want a shock? This: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...m4/pubchart?oid=1981029313&format=interactive
Black Mage is lower on this list than Amaterasu and Proto Man.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
It's mostly because the game hasn't been released yet. Once it's released, I'm sure more people will support.
I think the Inklings have a fair shot, as it's a new IP that Nintendo is pushing quite heavily. I think Olimar was considered for Melee (don't quote me on it quite yet), and you could argue that Pikmin was in the same spot as Splatoon is now.
Let me rephrase it.

I'm shocked how japan is iffy on Inklings compared to the Wester countries which seem to be all for it despite them not being out yet.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm 100% iffy on Inklings and feel the same way the Japanese do. Doesn't even matter that its releasing before they'd release, it still feels like its too soon.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
There's no such thing as too soon, Roy was included in Melee before his game was even released.
His franchise already existed and had a character fully designed and in the game at the time he was chosen, though

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm 100% iffy on Inklings and feel the same way the Japanese do. Doesn't even matter that its releasing before they'd release, it still feels like its too soon.
Eh, going to have to respectfully disagree.

I love the character designs, and the unique stuff they bring to the table.

As jumping the gun as it is, I really doubt Splatoon will really be "bad." At the very least decent. But thats just me.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's no such thing as too soon, Roy was included in Melee before his game was even released.
As a late addition clone from an already established franchise.

Eh, going to have to respectfully disagree.

I love the character designs, and the unique stuff they bring to the table.

As jumping the gun as it is, I really doubt Splatoon will really be "bad." At the very least decent. But thats just me.
It doesn't matter if its bad or anything like that at all. Its still a brand new IP. It could be the best game ever made and I'd still be against their inclusion right now.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I know he's not one of the top choices, but how are so many people still voting for Goku? Don't get me wrong, I think he's pretty awesome, but he's not even a video game character! :facepalm:
And don't get me started about Shrek.
Technically, he is a video game character. He just didn't originate in video games.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Personally I wouldn't mind the Inklings getting in, also I don't understand why people vote for Goku. I mean he won't get in EVER, so is it just for the lolz or what. I mean use your votes on someone who at least fits the criteria.

Troykv

Smash Master
No, he's not a video game character. He's an anime character who got his own video games. There's a HUGE difference.
Well... a manga character xD

Personally I wouldn't mind the Inklings getting in, also I don't understand why people vote for Goku. I mean he won't get in EVER, so is it just for the lolz or what. I mean use your votes on someone who at least fits the criteria.
They don't care about "realistic votes", they want Goku.

Last edited:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
リュカ Lucas
ウルフ Wolf
スネーク Snake
アイスクライマー Ice Climber
ロイ Roy
ピチュー Pichu
キングクルール King K. Rool
クリスタル Krystal
リドリーRidley
ディクシー Dixie
ペーパーマリオ Paper Mario
カスタムロボ Custom Robo
デイジー姫 Daisy
ワドルディ Waddle Dee
ロビン Isaac
ゴエモン Goemon
天国 R. Heaven
ジバニャン Jibanyan
ジーノ Geno
いか娘 Inkling
heres up until I thought the characters had low chances, ik gonna see if they're viable or not

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
tbh I don't want 3rd party dlc, there's no one as popular as the last 3, I honestly dont want more competition for my characters, and even if they're unique they'd feel like just thrown aside the big 3, imo if we get indie characters they should have a pack for them, because honestly a lot of the characters don't have enough popularity. I honestly think people are reacting to what Phil Spencer said, all the licensing should go to developing more game content, but I dont hate Banjo, or the franchise. I never had an N64, i wasn't born that time.
, so I dont have any attachments to him, and if you want him go vote for him

Now about the roster slots, I have a theory there would be a whole new page, or a lack of boxes, THEN we can determine how many dlc we'll have, I don't think Sakurai deliberately put that specific amount of characters in, or else he would either deliberately delay the game or deliberately stop working on characters(but he wasted brawl time on tripping so...)

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
So rumor has it that Sakurai made a tweet on the day of the direct saying that he "couldn't wait to see gameplay for the new fighter, and he wasn't developing Smash anymore anyway"

I can't find anything along these lines by translating his recent tweets. Anyone have any idea about this?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
So rumor has it that Sakurai made a tweet on the day of the direct saying that he "couldn't wait to see gameplay for the new fighter, and he wasn't developing Smash anymore anyway"

I can't find anything along these lines by translating his recent tweets. Anyone have any idea about this?
I thought that tweet was fake.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
The factor is not just "oh this series needs another character!" Look at the differentiation of the fighters. :4falcon:has only his final smash that ties directly to his original source because there's not much else one COULD do for a character in a sole racing game that thrives on simple controls and insane speed. :4fox: was from effectively a rail shooter but his moveset comes from the weaponry of the Arwing and the general space soldier theme. The only "justificaton" someone has given for another F-Zero character is Black Shadow because people keep whining about Falcondorf and giving BS the moveset would allow a Dark Knight styled Ganondorf. Pokemon is a series with a constantly evolving pool of characters with dozens that could easily be Smash worthy off of their own abilities.

Metroid, in comparison, is a series that is one of Nintendo's biggest... but it has a very shallow pool of characters. This being the reason why a Metroid newcomer is pretty much Ridley or Bust.

Think less of "Oh Donkey Kong gets 2 characters but FIRE EMBLEM gets FOUR," and more of "Hey, here's a character in Donkey Kong that'd bring a lot of value to Smash!" aka K. rool.
No, Falcon was only an example, I agree with your vision about characters, I love every character in smash because everyone is unique, I just think that there can be unique characters that aren't Pokémon, it might be me not liking that series too much, but I think we have enough of them, Mario characters are too many now too, so seeing Lucas for DLC made me happy, and I voted for Snake, a unique character from Brawl that got cut

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I know he's not one of the top choices, but how are so many people still voting for Goku? Don't get me wrong, I think he's pretty awesome, but he's not even a video game character! :facepalm:
And don't get me started about Shrek.
Because people are stupid. This a fact of the world you eventually must accept.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
No, he's not a video game character. He's an anime character who got his own video games. There's a HUGE difference.
As far as Sakurai is concerned, there might not be as big of a differences as you think there is.
Sakurai: “Please put Spongebob”
Sugita: SPONGEBOB?!
Sakurai: That’s impossible.
Sugita: Spongebob’s games are only sold abroad!
Sakurai: That’s right
Of course, right before that he mentions Goku as one of these impossible requests, so he's obviously not happening, I'm just pointing out that Sakurai may consider anyone who has been in a video game as a "video game character."

Pakky

Smash Hero
Bayonetta.. Yes or no? I would say she's too "mature" but then I look at Zero Suit Samus and wonder, "So like do they have a model of Bayo on file cus, Samus is looking pretty Bayo right about now"

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Pakky

Smash Hero
Well time to make enemies, I think 6 Pokemon is enough because six is a very important number in the actually series so to thave that many in game is perfect. Any way a lot of choices are kind of silly, like Pichu, I'm sorry but come on guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom