• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

LOL even Kamiya hates this whole Smash Ballot controversy. I guess he had it with all Smash idiots' ****. :laugh:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

LOL even Kamiya hates this whole Smash Ballot controversy. I guess he had it with all Smash idiots' ****. :laugh:
I really like how Kamiya fills the rest of the tweet with 0s in the various I'VE TOLD YOU tweets. It changes the number for each reason. For one of them he should really do 2000000000000000000000000 times. Just to mess with people.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting sick of hearing about people who are wasting their votes for the ballot. Don't vote for old characters to come back. If you want to play as them, go back to the game they were in. And I've just about had it with people voting for characters that already appear in the game (unless they appear in trophy form). You cannot have assist trophies become playable, nor can you have stage hazards become playable. That's just stupid. Don't waste this opportunity. Vote for someone new! If you're worried about old characters not coming back, don't worry, they could always just make more DLC.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm getting sick of hearing about people who are wasting their votes for the ballot. Don't vote for old characters to come back. If you want to play as them, go back to the game they were in. And I've just about had it with people voting for characters that already appear in the game (unless they appear in trophy form). You cannot have assist trophies become playable, nor can you have stage hazards become playable. That's just stupid. Don't waste this opportunity. Vote for someone new! If you're worried about old characters not coming back, don't worry, they could always just make more DLC.
They said vote for who you want and about ATs and stage hazards, they said the ballot will also affect future smash games, there is no such thing as a wasted vote. Unless it's not a video game character of course

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
What's the point of only voting for new characters if people really liked veterans and want them to return? The ballot isn't only for newcomers, it's for fighters, both veterans and newcomers. Hell, if Sakurai sees enough support for someone like Ridley, what's to say he won't change his mind on the idea and make him DLC anyways? Sakurai has shown himself as willing to change his opinion before even when it'd seem unlikely he'd do it (Villager), so what's stopping him from doing it this time besides a couple of people who'd be outraged because "he's too big!"? Not to mention that the only reason he hasn't added Ridley yet is because he's not sure on how to make him work. If he had a solid idea of how Ridley could work, he'd most likely be in the game. Veterans like Wolf already have that knowledge, so it's easier to make them than it is to make someone that has never been done before (like Chorus Kids or Rayman).

If someone like Ridley gets enough backing, Sakurai will notice it and will try to make him playable either in this game (using the Other M Ridley's clone status as a scapegoat) or add him into the next game as a fighter due to fan demand. Same thing with King K.Rool; if he gets enough backing, he'll probably be playable at some point. Sakurai doesn't just do what he wants, he listens to the fans and tries his best to please them. And if the fans say that they want someone like Ridley or K.Rool to join the battle as playable or that they want a veteran like Wolf to rejoin the smash, it shouldn't damn well matter who someone votes for, just that they voted for who they wanted.

Plus the way Ridley's been treated makes me think less that Sakurai thinks he can't work and more he's trying ideas to make him work and is slowly building a foundation for a playable Ridley. In Brawl, he was a basic boss (and a Dyna-Blade clone), which he decided didn't work. So in the next game, he made Ridley a stage boss with his own attacks, stock icon and the ability to be KO'd, which is a very rough base for a Smash fighter. Though this still drew some ire, it seems that most people seem to tolerate Pyrosphere!Ridley because he feels like some kind of awkward boss/fighter hybrid.

Popularity and explanation is what will really filter the winners from the losers in this ballot, not "lol play brawl if u want dis charecdur". :/

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Snake was in Brawl. You'd rather have a character you could just go back to Brawl to play as get in instead of a brand new character we've never played as before get it?
Or I could play the better game instead of forcing myself to go back. Let's just get rid of every veteran and replace them with new characters with each game right? I'd much rather have Snake back than most any newcomer, there are barely any I even want.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Snake was in Brawl. You'd rather have a character you could just go back to Brawl to play as get in instead of a brand new character we've never played as before get it?
Why does Sakurai dislike cutting characters? Because characters all have their fans! "Why do people want Mewtwo back? He was cut so you should play Melee instead"

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Or I could play the better game instead of forcing myself to go back. Let's just get rid of every veteran and replace them with new characters with each game right? I'd much rather have Snake back than most any newcomer, there are barely any I even want.
TBH, Brawl is better than Smash 4.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Yeah, who needs Snake when we have such needed newcomers as Slippy, Porky and Protoman? :p

The idea that we only "need" newcomers for DLC is a croc, really. Yeah, so let's go play the Smash game that has tripping, floaty-as-hell physics and a enormous defensive emphasis (if we don't want to go through the hassle of modding our Wii for Project M) instead of the superior sucessor if we want to play as Snake in a Smash game. :/

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, I should have NOT been hyped about Smash 4 and ignored it till it came out? That's stupid.
Wow, you misconstrued the crap out of that post.

He's saying you expected a little too much so when you didn't get it you were disappointed. Keep your expectations in check.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So, I should have NOT been hyped about Smash 4 and ignored it till it came out? That's stupid.
No, I meant that you shouldn't let the hype override your judgement on a game, not that you shouldn't be hyped for a game at all. :/

Getting overhyped leads to inevitable disappointment; look at Brawl as an example. The hype behind that game was enormous, but it ultimately dissappointed many people. Hype is a dangerous thing to have too much of, and many of us learned that with Brawl. It scorned us and that's why being cautious before being hyped is a really good idea; so that we don't get scorned when the game isn't what we were hyped it would be.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No, I meant that you shouldn't let the hype override your judgement on a game, not that you shouldn't be hyped for a game at all. :/

Getting overhyped leads to inevitable disappointment; look at Brawl as an example. The hype behind that game was enormous, but it ultimately dissappointed many people. Hype is a dangerous thing to have too much of, and many of us learned that with Brawl. It scorned us and that's why being cautious before being hyped is a really good idea; so that we don't get scorned when the game isn't what we were hyped it would be.
Yes, it is better to hype AFTER a character is actually confirmed... NOT BEFORE a character is confirmed or deconfirmed because it could go either way.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Man, so I'm a Space Pirate and a Kremling. What do you call someone who likes Bayonetta? Just an Umbran Witch/Warlock? Any other Bayo fans, or is it just me? Wonder Red is cool too. lol Wonderful ones

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Man, so I'm a Space Pirate and a Kremling. What do you call someone who likes Bayonetta? Just an Umbran Witch/Warlock? Any other Bayo fans, or is it just me? Wonder Red is cool too. lol Wonderful ones
You're not alone
Bayonuts maybe?
That sounds terrible actually

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You were hyped for DHD before the Nintendo Direct that confirmed them tho
Only because of the ESRB leaks that couldn't be debunked despite what the straw-grasping people in denial say... and because I actually unlocked DHD on the 3DS version... a month before November 2014 Nintendo Direct confirmed DHD. :awesome:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Hey look guys! It's Sakurai! It's now confirmed, AT's and Stage Hazards cannot be DLC. Because I'm sure someone isn't so utterly naive to claim that without an official source to back them up!

Then why do you care what characters we want in this game? Take your own advice and go play Brawl. :4dk:
You're telling us not to waste our votes yet you're wasting your own vote?

GG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom