• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The thread wasn't closed; the most recent post in it was on Sunday.

EDIT: Ah, it was a typo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Sami's thread isn't closed, no idea where you got that from.

EDIT: fair enough lol

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I can't believe people still think Ridley has a chance.

Do they honestly think that Sakurai's just going to remove Ridley from Pyrosphere? :(
I believe I've already stated several times why characters with Assist or boss roles in the game won't be in the game.

They won't be removing content from the base game for DLC. DLC is add-on content: it can't subtract content from the game. Such a thing makes no sense from a design standpoint.

Anyway this thing isn't a democratic vote. It's not 'Whoever has the most votes gets in as DLC' sort of deal.
Which is exactly why all the uproar is stupid. People are completely missing the point of the ballot.

But really, I'm not surprised things went this way.

Not like people will care about what I say, but I'm not going out of my way to say what people want to hear...

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I believe I've already stated several times why characters with Assist or boss roles in the game won't be in the game.

They won't be removing content from the base game for DLC. DLC is add-on content: it can't subtract content from the game. Such a thing makes no sense from a design standpoint.

Which is exactly why all the uproar is stupid. People are completely missing the point of the ballot.

Not like people will care about what I say, but I'm not going out of my way to say what people want to hear...
Well, Nintendo could always look at the top 25 and add half of them in SSB5.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The only thing voting for ATs and bosses will do is raise their likeliness of being considered for future Smash games. That isn't a bad thing, but raising expectations too high is.

For this game, however, the development team will likely only consider characters that they can add to the game without compromising any of the base game's content.

That inherently means any sort of NPC roles is excluded:
- Assist Trophies (Lyn, Midna, Ghirahim)
- Poké Balls (Meowth, Eevee, Mew)
- bosses (Ridley, Yellow Devil, Master Hand)
- Final Smash cameos (Chrom, X, Dunban)

Well, Nintendo could always look at the top 25 and add half of them in SSB5.
I guess, though I also think popularity won't be the sole deciding factor. It's possible they'll look at less popular choices as well and pick characters that would bring something unique to the game. The ballot isn't a popularity contest.

In fact, I think Mr. Game & Watch was from a lone suggestion for Melee. (@PushDustIn could confirm this.)

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, Dunban and X are both Mii costumes, so...

They're not necessarily ruled out entirely. ;P

inb4 Ridley costume for Mii Gunner

inb4 I would actually play that

Strofirko

Smash Master
Its more funny when japan works differently than west on third-parties,while "they" praise RPG lords,"we" praise succesful kickstarters.:dizzy:

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

*Insert Albert Einstein Quote*

But, people can't be perfect. Ever good idea (like the DLC ballot) is going to have a small backlash.

It doesn' really effect me. I do have some pity for the uninformed, though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The only thing voting for ATs and bosses will do is raise their likeliness of being considered for future Smash games. That isn't a bad thing, but raising expectations too high is.

For this game, however, the development team will likely only consider characters that they can add to the game without compromising any of the base game's content.

I guess, though I also think popularity won't be the sole deciding factor. It's possible they'll look at less popular choices as well and pick characters that would bring something unique to the game. The ballot isn't a popularity contest.

In fact, I think Mr. Game & Watch was from a lone suggestion for Melee. (@PushDustIn could confirm this.)
Wasn't Dr.Mario also by a lone suggestion? Although if I recall correctly that person wanted him as an alt for Mario but Sakurai didn't feel that Fireballs would fit him or something along those lines (Or something to do with his song). I could be completely wrong as it has been quite a while since I last read about it.....

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wasn't Dr.Mario also by a lone suggestion? Although if I recall correctly that person wanted him as an alt for Mario but Sakurai didn't feel that Fireballs would fit him or something along those lines (Or something to do with his song). I could be completely wrong as it has been quite a while since I last read about it.....
Wario was originally the Mario clone but Sakurai believed Wario deserved better than that, one of the other devs wanted the song in though

MagnesD3

Smash Master

My point is these character threads should exist to get votes on the poll for characters to be considered for the future. This poll is probably going to have sway for smash 5 and places like this forum are the perfect place to support the characters we want in the future.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's the thing though those threads always sink to the bottom because they are inactive so I don't see the problem.
They wouldn't all sink to the bottom, it would flood the character section, people would always create duplicates, tons of troll threads would emerge, it would be a nightmare to moderate, etc.

There's a reason there's always been guidelines for support topics in places for Smash discussion. Some other sites have even more strict rules than this place.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
They wouldn't all sink to the bottom, it would flood the character section, people would always create duplicates, tons of troll threads would emerge, it would be a nightmare to moderate, etc.

There's a reason there's always been guidelines for support topics in places for Smash discussion. Some other sites have even more strict rules than this place.
I still think the support groups should be able to make their case to get their thread reopened and if it makes sense the mods would allow those threads to be opened.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Speaking of Kamek, in Japan, there's no distinction between Kamek and Magikoopas. Kamek is the result of a mistranslation, as all Magikoopas are called Kamek in Japan.

Adding to the confusion is the fact the Japanese language can leave singular and plural ambiguous. Without proper indication, a noun can mean one or many depending on the context of the statement.

*Insert Albert Einstein Quote*

But, people can't be perfect. Ever good idea (like the DLC ballot) is going to have a small backlash.

It doesn' really effect me. I do have some pity for the uninformed, though.
Don't get me wrong. The ballot is an excellent idea.

What bothers me is how people are blatantly disregarding its purpose when it's crystal clear on the Smash Bros. website how the ballot works and what is its purpose. This is blatant misinterpretation, or rather, people not even bothering to read.

Well, Dunban and X are both Mii costumes, so...

They're not necessarily ruled out entirely. ;P

inb4 Ridley costume for Mii Gunner

inb4 I would actually play that
I actually would like to see more character costumes in the future.

Miis cosplaying as characters is something I approve of. :p

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Sad part is it's true
To be fair, I think a lot of devs would gladly support the Wii U if they could. Some, like WayForward and Platinum, already have. Even Kojima said he thinks a brand new MGS game for the Wii U would be a great idea.

Worth bearing in mind, though. As great as it would be to have Banjo in Smash, for example, I doubt it would benefit Nintendo as much as it would benefit Microsoft.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sad part is it's true
Like Capcom, Namco or even Sega put as many games on the Wii U as Ubisoft did...

And as far as the indies who have tweeted about it go, all of them have been on either the 3DS or Wii U... apart from Meat Boy. So forget him.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Like Capcom, Namco or even Sega put as many games on the Wii U as Ubisoft did...

And as far as the indies who have tweeted about it go, all of them have been on either the 3DS or Wii U... apart from Meat Boy. So forget him.
This is also a valid point. Though as far as I recall, Sonic's in Smash because he's a veteran and was added due to overwhelming fan demand, Mega Man likewise had huge support amongst the fanbase, and Namco worked on Smash 4 (and Miyamoto wanted Pac-Man in anyway).

If we're going purely by how much indie developers support Nintendo, though, it's hard to beat WayForward. Not putting down any other studios or characters, but Matt Bozon and co. have made it clear that they really, really love Nintendo and have done since 2002.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is also a valid point. Though as far as I recall, Sonic's in Smash because he's a veteran and was added due to overwhelming fan demand, Mega Man likewise had huge support amongst the fanbase, and Namco worked on Smash 4 (and Miyamoto wanted Pac-Man in anyway).

If we're going purely by how much indie developers support Nintendo, though, it's hard to beat WayForward. Not putting down any other studios or characters, but Matt Bozon and co. have made it clear that they really, really love Nintendo and have done since 2002.
M. Bozon also said he wanted Shantae but would prefer Bomberman iirc

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I gotta make more "Vote for Meowth" posters... Meowth is long overdue...

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man were already decided long before third parties such as Capcom, Namco, and Sega started abandoning the Wii U.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The devs of some 'adventure quest' did this too. Everyone's doing it other than Platinum
Yeh Platinum is... taking the opposite approach. :laugh:
Then again I very much doubt any Nintendo-owned properties will be promoted by their devs, which includes W101.

But yeah, if the dev hasn't even put their IP on a Nintendo system, they have no business asking for people to vote for it.

Oh sure, there are other perfectly good reasons for why third-parties might be included, I'm just saying as far as supporting the Wii U goes, Ubisoft goes above and beyond any other third-party. Yet people continue to **** on them for delaying Legends and making it multiplat and holding back that other Wii U title. But at least they didn't cancel plans for Legends on Wii U, at least they're still planning to release that one title eventually, at least they actually put their triple-A multiplats on the Wii U when no other companies were still doing so. Credit where credit is due.

And WayForward definitely supports Nintendo wholeheartedly, especially with Shantae, but it's not like the others aren't also highly supportive. The Wii U was the only console apart from PC to get Shovel Knight, Cave Story has been on three Nintendo systems, every Bit.Trip game has been on a Nintendo platform, many of them exclusive (for a while); all of those are solid choices as far as I'm concerned.

Though I don't think any of them will actually end up happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom