• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

domokl

Smash Lord
In my eyes the super smash bros 6 thing was definetly for smash dlc. It is WAY too early for devolpment on a new smash to start again. them hiring more people to get dlc out quick seems like a good plan.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Things I wish to see in Sm4sh:

I wish to have Ness with Paula, Jeff, and Poo as alts. (but I know it will never happen :()

Captain Falcon's Final Smash to look something like this:

I can only dream, can't I? :grin:
THIS.
But I would add something else.

First, make it so his final smash is similar to Brawl's.
Then when Blue Falcon rams them into the air THIS sequence happens.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Still think Blaziken is a perfect addition to smash (All about gen 3 :awesome:) but it won't happen...

Ah. Yeah I agree, I almost disliked shulk for that reason only, but that just didn't seem fair to the character. And now I like him...funny how that worked out XD
You no like Mudkip? Mudkip become big Swampert and Swampert becomes bigger Swampert with steroids. :p

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well okay then! Blacklist me! At least Lucas and Luigi don't have a team of six pocket monsters to do their dirty work for them. Also, Luigi frightens easily, but he always does what he has to do. His emotions do not reflect his resolve. Remember that.
In SSE, Lucas had Pokemon Trainer fight for him....

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Still think Blaziken is a perfect addition to smash (All about gen 3 :awesome:) but it won't happen...

Ah. Yeah I agree, I almost disliked shulk for that reason only, but that just didn't seem fair to the character. And now I like him...funny how that worked out XD
Personally I don't care for his play style or voice hahaha.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The first part is subjective, because every generation has sold well.

The second part, all I meant, is that putting two water starters in would be asinine. So they picked the more recent one to rep their newest game, the one people are aware of. Yea gamers know squirtle, but the average 10 year old now hasnt even seen a gameboy advance unless he's a hardcore pokemon fan. People on these boards get hung up on their favorites, and thats fine. But between an old water starter from a gen thats over 15 year olds, and the most recent one from a game thats still popular, you take the new one every time. You love trainer, we know that, I liked him too, but he's not gonna work in this game and theres no logical way to justify including a second water starter and the least popular starter from gen 1's least popular evolutionary line.

tl;dr There's no way to justify 2 water starters in the same game without cutting other pokemon, and who from the list is less important than squirtle (besides arguably jigglypuff who relavence to smash probably redeems her)
Dude, do you play Pokemon?
Gen 1 trumps others in popularity, recognition, and prominence in all medium.
Squirtle is playable even in x and y.
Without a grass starter, Greninja being a starter means nothing.

That said, Sceptile is likely.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Blaziken? Over Sceptile? Dream on, Buddy. Really, I think that Mewtwo isn't super likely at this point. It couldn't be a Lucario clone, nor a Melee do-over. Now Sceptile? He, at worst, could be a Greninja clone. He represents Mystery Dungeon, Grass Type, and OR and AS! Really!

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Dude, do you play Pokemon?
Gen 1 trumps others in popularity, recognition, and prominence in all medium.
Squirtle is playable even in x and y.
Without a grass starter, Greninja being a starter means nothing.

That said, Sceptile is likely.
Holy **** guys. I know Gen 1 is popular. So was Gen 2. and 3. And 4. And 5. And yea, 6 too. Yes, everyone loves Gen 1. But they all have sold well because people love pokemon. But you know what pokemon kids love know? The new ones, becaause those are the ones people buy for their kids and they play now. The fact that squirtle is playable is about as releavent as the fact that shuckle is too. Yes Gen 1 is the most popular, hence why we have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Charizard. Gen 4 was popular too, that's why we got lucairo. Oh hey, Gen 6 sold well too, because pokemon is always popular. Greninja is a pokemon from that successful game, popular game. Squirtle is another starter, aslo water, from a generation more than 15 years old. With Greninja in the game there is no reason to also put in squirtle over any other character other than "lolz I luv gen 1 its da best".

So Dude, I payed every generation of pokemon. Red and Blue up to X and Y. I like gen 2 the best. But it's irrelevant, squirtle has no role other than stapled on to the pokemon trainer who doesn't get to be in this game. Sorry you guys cant have your gen 1 party, but it makes sense.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
SSE is a glorified fan fic.
In other words, when confronted with direct evidence as to why Pokemon Trainer is not cowardly and Lucas and Luigi are, you ignore it. Good to know.
It is literally part of a description of PT to be courageous and adventurous, and literally part of the canon of both Luigi and Lucas to be cowardly.

Anywho, moving on.

Last edited:

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
Red's clearly not capable of physical combat himself, I don't understand how using Pokemon makes him a "coward". In fact, I think if someone with his combat capabilities (read: probably you) were to attempt to single handedly take on a large gorilla with a tie, the King of Demons, extremely skilled swordsmen, etc, they would be an idiot, not brave.

Avoiding direct combat if you're incapable of fighting isn't cowardly, it's smart.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Holy **** guys. I know Gen 1 is popular. So was Gen 2. and 3. And 4. And 5. And yea, 6 too. Yes, everyone loves Gen 1. But they all have sold well because people love pokemon. But you know what pokemon kids love know? The new ones, becaause those are the ones people buy for their kids and they play now. The fact that squirtle is playable is about as releavent as the fact that shuckle is too. Yes Gen 1 is the most popular, hence why we have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Charizard. Gen 4 was popular too, that's why we got lucairo. Oh hey, Gen 6 sold well too, because pokemon is always popular. Greninja is a pokemon from that successful game, popular game. Squirtle is another starter, aslo water, from a generation more than 15 years old. With Greninja in the game there is no reason to also put in squirtle over any other character other than "lolz I luv gen 1 its da best".

So Dude, I payed every generation of pokemon. Red and Blue up to X and Y. I like gen 2 the best. But it's irrelevant, squirtle has no role other than stapled on to the pokemon trainer who doesn't get to be in this game. Sorry you guys cant have your gen 1 party, but it makes sense.
When you fail to acknowledge the general populous knows gen 1 far beyond the other gens, that gen 1 is the staple gen while the others are the fad gens, that gen 1 is the generation most returned to, and the one that *while direct information as such* is regarded as the most beloved, I fail to acknowledge your post.
There is a reason they were give the most mega evolutions, that their lines were returned to the most in generations 2 and 4, and that the starter pokemon from gen 1 were available in generation 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6.

All generations are not made equal. Obviously, Sakurai agrees with me. I'm unsure if you saw Brawl, but in it, we had five gen 1 Pokemon, one more who was cut, and only one Pokemon who was not gen 1.

Also, I'm not sure how old you are. Pokemon has always been popular, yes. Yet it is nothing today compared to what it was in 1999-2000. Twas literally considered a PHENOMENON by economists. They couldn't understand what it was! It was classified beyond games, tv, movies, clothing, trading cards, figures, and other paraphernalia. It was a bubble that busted after gen one, and while still successful, never reclaimed the glory introduced with the original generation (I only include gen 2 because it piggybacked, and was essentially just an extended version of 1 anyway, down to them being many of the originally cut Pokemon, stories, etc).

Literally, to compare generation 1 of Pokemon to the other generations is just a failure.
I don't even need to cite sources, because it is quite actually an economic, sociologic, anthropologic, ETC study. Here is a great source to start.

The rise refers to Gen 1, and the fall refers to every subsequent generation

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Face it, the Gen 1 Pokemon are All-Stars! Not the Gen 6 Pokemon. I've played every single Gen and don't even recognize some of these Pokeball Pokemon we are getting. Gen 1 is the most well-known, and have the most history. Heck, it was supposed to end after you faced Red on Mt. Silver, every gen after that is lucky to even exist, and they owe it all to Gen 1 and 2. Everyone knows most of the Gen 1 pokes, heck I rapped the Pokerap at a school performance and so many non-gamers knew what I was talking about. That's why Gen 1 deserves all the representation. They are the most loved, most known, and its thanks to them Pokemon is still going on.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Heh, I came to that realization when I saw this very same book at my university 4 years ago.
Yeah, the phenomenon was never the same. Probably never will.
Can't deny it's still popular, but it doesn't hold a candle anymore. There are a lot of people thinking Pokemon is just a thing of the past.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'll just say one more thing about pokemon: I love all the Pokemon regions (except Unova), Kanto may be my favorite but I love them all (except Unova) and in fact, Hoenn and Kalos come next for me.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
In other words, when confronted with direct evidence as to why Pokemon Trainer is not cowardly and Lucas and Luigi are, you ignore it. Good to know.
It is literally part of a description of PT to be courageous and adventurous, and literally part of the canon of both Luigi and Lucas to be cowardly.

Anywho, moving on.
Hold the phone. You're using a storyline that's out of canon as direct evidence. Even if it were to be taken seriously, Red still summoned Squirtle to do the fighting for him in the cut scene you're alluding to. Lucas and Luigi being cowardly is quite an inaccurate statement as well, because if they lack courage, they wouldn't of even attempted half the things they did in their games. Luigi would have never entered the haunted mansion to save Mario and Lucas would have never embarked on his journey. Meanwhile, in all the Pokemon games going back as far as the Red and Blue versions, the trainer stays back and sends his captured monsters to do his bidding for him. That's something you can't ignore.

KurowaSan

Smash Rookie
Pokémon's popularity to the general public on the west surely declined. But in Japan, the popularity keeps on growing and you can't walk around Japan without seeing Pikachu everywhere. It's like One Piece, Doraemon and Hello Kity level.

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
I have very little respect for Generation I. There are too many annoying and idiotic Genwunners and the Pokemon are boring. I prefer the newer generations.

Hold the phone. You're using a storyline that's out of canon as direct evidence. Even if it were to be taken seriously, Red still summoned Squirtle to do the fighting for him in the cut scene you're alluding to. Lucas and Luigi being cowardly is quite an inaccurate statement as well, because if they lack courage, they wouldn't of even attempted half the things they did in their games. Luigi would have never entered the haunted mansion to save Mario and Lucas would have never embarked on his journey. Meanwhile, in all the Pokemon games going back as far as the Red and Blue versions, the trainer stays back and sends his captured monsters to do his bidding for him. That's something you can't ignore.
And my post is something you can ignore, apparently?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No, that was just the final piece of evidence.
Obviously, all the characters need to exert courage, because if they did not, none of them would be the star of any video game.

That said, it is literally in the definition of a Pokemon Trainer to be adventurous and courageous. Where as, I'm not sure what straws you are grasping to try to prove Luigi and Lucas are not cowardly, but, ya know, if you want to try to argue that point, I'm not going to bother to listen, sorry. Neither of us needs to waste time on that, you can take it up with someone else because if you want to disprove their personalities to me.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'll just say one more thing about pokemon: I love all the Pokemon regions (except Unova), Kanto may be my favorite but I love them all (except Unova) and in fact, Hoenn and Kalos come next for me.
We can't be friends now. Gen V for lyfe yo.

Can someone tell me wtf this is?
View attachment 24210
Some kind of promotional video involving the band AKB48.

inb4 48 means only 48 characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Possible opening cinematic?
#NoStarFoxFTW

I wouldn't say that, it looks like a band promotional video.
Obviously YOU do not think so, yet people like myself who don't want to know every detail about the 3DS game may have preferred if you put it in Spoiler []

Last edited:

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
Face it, the Gen 1 Pokemon are All-Stars! Not the Gen 6 Pokemon. I've played every single Gen and don't even recognize some of these Pokeball Pokemon we are getting. Gen 1 is the most well-known, and have the most history. Heck, it was supposed to end after you faced Red on Mt. Silver, every gen after that is lucky to even exist, and they owe it all to Gen 1 and 2. Everyone knows most of the Gen 1 pokes, heck I rapped the Pokerap at a school performance and so many non-gamers knew what I was talking about. That's why Gen 1 deserves all the representation. They are the most loved, most known, and its thanks to them Pokemon is still going on.
I really don't want to agree with this, but alas, I suppose it's only logical to. Not the respecting it part (lolno), but the part about it deserving more representation than the others in Smash. To some extent.

Oh, I also disagree with "it was supposed to end after Red", that's absolute bullcrap. Unless you have some sort of source about some dev actually saying that.

We can't be friends now. Gen V for lyfe yo.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I have very little respect for Generation I. There are too many annoying and idiotic Genwunners and the Pokemon are boring. I prefer the newer generations.

And my post is something you can ignore, apparently?
Apologies. I missed your post when I jumped to Napoleon's, but now that I'm unable to ignore it, let's address it.

Red's clearly not capable of physical combat himself, I don't understand how using Pokemon makes him a "coward". In fact, I think if someone with his combat capabilities (read: probably you) were to attempt to single handedly take on a large gorilla with a tie, the King of Demons, extremely skilled swordsmen, etc, they would be an idiot, not brave.

Avoiding direct combat if you're incapable of fighting isn't cowardly, it's smart.
You've got an animal crossing villager who's known for catching bugs and collecting furniture out there participating against said gorilla with tie, Ganondorf, etc. Evidently, all you need to do is try and that's something Pokemon trainer doesn't do as a function of his character. How is subjugating a group of Pokemon to do your fighting for you any more brave or courageous than not having fought at all? It's the equivalent of hiding behind your friends who can fight. I would equate Pokemon trainer to a tactician rather than an actual combatant. When the Pokemon faint, what's the first thing you think a trainer will do? He'll cheese it. It may be smart, but it's still cowardice at its core.

You've elected to fight against a gorilla in a tie or a wild Pokemon in your own game with your group of monsters, and when the going gets tough, you decide you'll make like a ghost and vanish? Is that your definition of brave?

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
When you fail to acknowledge the general populous knows gen 1 far beyond the other gens, that gen 1 is the staple gen while the others are the fad gens, that gen 1 is the generation most returned to, and the one that *while direct information as such* is regarded as the most beloved, I fail to acknowledge your post.
There is a reason they were give the most mega evolutions, that their lines were returned to the most in generations 2 and 4, and that the starter pokemon from gen 1 were available in generation 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6.

All generations are not made equal. Obviously, Sakurai agrees with me. I'm unsure if you saw Brawl, but in it, we had five gen 1 Pokemon, one more who was cut, and only one Pokemon who was not gen 1.

Also, I'm not sure how old you are. Pokemon has always been popular, yes. Yet it is nothing today compared to what it was in 1999-2000. Twas literally considered a PHENOMENON by economists. They couldn't understand what it was! It was classified beyond games, tv, movies, clothing, trading cards, figures, and other paraphernalia. It was a bubble that busted after gen one, and while still successful, never reclaimed the glory introduced with the original generation (I only include gen 2 because it piggybacked, and was essentially just an extended version of 1 anyway, down to them being many of the originally cut Pokemon, stories, etc).

Literally, to compare generation 1 of Pokemon to the other generations is just a failure.
I don't even need to cite sources, because it is quite actually an economic, sociologic, anthropologic, ETC study. Here is a great source to start.

You're being dense and a prick. These together are annoying. I acknowledge the popularity of generation 1, it's clearely the most popular never once did I dispute this. Gen 1 has plenty of representation. but the other gens are also important because they were also popular. Please point me to where I said Gen X is more popular than Gen 1. Oh you can't? That's because I never ***** said it. It would be stupid to put 6 gen 1 pokemon in and nothing else, that's why lucario was put in Brawl. That's why he's still in, and Greninja is too and your stupid trainer got cut. Because the other generations were also relevemt and deserve to be in the game, and clearly sakurai agrees with me because he cut a gen 1 starter for a gen 6 starter. I get that gen 1 is the most popular, and someone you don't seem to understand that I understamd that, and I'm sorry you cant off the Gen 1 **** for three seconds to see that are 5 other generations of pokemon that sold games. NOT MORE GAMES THAN GEN !, I GET THAT, JUST IN CASE ITS NOT CLEAR. But they sold very well, are the most recent and marketable games, and that's why Greninja is in and squirtle, the second most popular starter, and ivysaur the least popular of the least popular branch are out. Becuase Sakurai akncoledges other generations and isn't making a game for the 90's/early 00's anymore. BUT GENERATION 1 WAS STILL MORE POPULAR, CANT STRESS HOW MUCH I UNDERSTAND THAT ENOUGH.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There's something I gotta admit about solo Charizard.

The guy was an "assist trophy" twice, and part of a trio once.
I think he deserves his glory. It's just sad that it came to the expense of my personal favorite starter, and Ivysaur who had a very interesting moveset.

This is why I think his separation is inconsecuential to P.T. returning or not. If he returns, he'll probably bring Charmander in his moveset somehow instead.
I don't know what to think about the chances of his return. I assumed he was an extremely important figure in the pokemon games. Whatever.
--

I want to watch that AKB48 video so bad!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well, this has taken a turn for the worst. Hey, how about we talk about Ike and his love for meat?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You're being dense and a prick. These together are annoying. I acknowledge the popularity of generation 1, it's clearely the most popular never once did I dispute this. Gen 1 has plenty of representation. but the other gens are also important because they were also popular. Please point me to where I said Gen X is more popular than Gen 1. Oh you can't? That's because I never ***** said it. It would be stupid to put 6 gen 1 pokemon in and nothing else, that's why lucario was put in Brawl. That's why he's still in, and Greninja is too and your stupid trainer got cut. Because the other generations were also relevemt and deserve to be in the game, and clearly sakurai agrees with me because he cut a gen 1 starter for a gen 6 starter. I get that gen 1 is the most popular, and someone you don't seem to understand that I understamd that, and I'm sorry you cant off the Gen 1 **** for three seconds to see that are 5 other generations of pokemon that sold games. NOT MORE GAMES THAN GEN !, I GET THAT, JUST IN CASE ITS NOT CLEAR. But they sold very well, are the most recent and marketable games, and that's why Greninja is in and squirtle, the second most popular starter, and ivysaur the least popular of the least popular branch are out. Becuase Sakurai akncoledges other generations and isn't making a game for the 90's/early 00's anymore. BUT GENERATION 1 WAS STILL MORE POPULAR, CANT STRESS HOW MUCH I UNDERSTAND THAT ENOUGH.
Firstly, calm down dude, it's an internet discussion, you're not finding your mother in bed with the neighborhood mailman.
Secondly, you acknowledged Gen 1 being more popular than the other generations in just a small blurb in the middle of an enormous purge during which you compared it to the other generations.

That pretty clearly seems to SCREAM you view gen one on equal footing as all the other generation. You even make a point in your opening statement to compare the popularity of gen 1 to the popularity of literally every other generation, and continue this trend throughout the post.
You may see gen one is more popular, but I'm not sure you gather by HOW MUCH.
No, I don't think all Pokemon should be from Gen 1. Not at all.
Yet saying 'Squirtle is succeeded by Greninja' is not only ignorant, but unfounded.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Firstly, calm down dude, it's an internet discussion, you're not finding your mother in bed with the neighborhood mailman.
Secondly, you acknowledged Gen 1 being more popular than the other generations in just a small blurb in the middle of an enormous purge during which you compared it to the other generations.

That pretty clearly seems to SCREAM you view gen one on equal footing as all the other generation. You even make a point in your opening statement to compare the popularity of gen 1 to the popularity of literally every other generation, and continue this trend throughout the post.
You may see gen one is more popular, but I'm not sure you gather by HOW MUCH.
No, I don't think all Pokemon should be from Gen 1. Not at all.
Yet saying 'Squirtle is succeeded by Greninja' is not only ignorant, but unfounded.
I said that they are all popular, secondly you acknowledge outright that I admitted Gen 1 was popular which was your entire reason for not acknowledging my post in the first place. My opening statement was in reference to the person I quoted and did the same thing you did: see a contrary opinion and dismiss it before actually reading the point. I very well understand how much more popular gen 1 is than any other gen, thats why we have 3 times as many pokemon from that gen int he game (4 if you count mewtwo). I think 3/4 times is plenty, and I think 2 reps from 2 gens out of 5 possible is more than fair. I think having squirtle and Greninja in would be overkill, a waste of a spot, and unnecessary. Being gen 1 isn't a good enough reason to include anything, espicially when you have 4 other gens that sold 10million+ units. They will never put two water starters in smash because thats what their niche is.

And don't tell me to come down, then call me ignorant. You're being a prick. still.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I said that they are all popular, secondly you acknowledge outright that I admitted Gen 1 was popular which was your entire reason for not acknowledging my post in the first place. My opening statement was in reference to the person I quoted and did the same thing you did: see a contrary opinion and dismiss it before actually reading the point. I very well understand how much more popular gen 1 is than any other gen, thats why we have 3 times as many pokemon from that gen int he game (4 if you count mewtwo). I think 3/4 times is plenty, and I think 2 reps from 2 gens out of 5 possible is more than fair. I think having squirtle and Greninja in would be overkill, a waste of a spot, and unnecessary. Being gen 1 isn't a good enough reason to include anything, espicially when you have 4 other gens that sold 10million+ units. They will never put two water starters in smash because thats what their niche is.

And don't tell me to come down, then call me ignorant. You're being a prick. still.
I'm not being a prick, I'm simply replying to what I am reading.
The only way Greninja replaces Squirtle, that Charizard even stands alone truly, is if the trio is fully represented. Otherwise, the two we have in no way make up for a lack of Pokemon Trainer.
That said, I find it highly likely we do in fact have Sceptile in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom