• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I dunno. I just don't buy the whole "isn't powerful enough" argument. I don't imagine that programing it would be a problem.

I keep hearing (or reading) it's to do with the frame rate, but that seems right to me either!
Given, I don't have the greatest hopes for them being in the initial roster (as in if DLC happens), but I must question further details as to why the Ice Climbers aren't likely.
I have no idea if the Ice Climbers are hard to implement on the 3DS hardware or not, I just know that the 3DS is not as powerful as the Gamecube.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
So apparently there's a leak of the game's pause screen, could this mean we're to get leaks of the full roster soon? :eek:
1409946222451.jpg

mark welford

Smash Ace
look I don't want this to be an argument so I am going to say this him not being on that roster but that padlock being there for the all-star mode and those 5 characters left he is a late game unlockable in brawl and the only thing we got towards his exclusion is the word of the leaker saying not seen/cut quote if you want but I will not answer back.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So apparently there's a leak of the game's pause screen, could this mean we're to get leaks of the full roster soon? :eek:
For the last time: nope, the guy was testing the quality of the game by first playing it AS A REVIEW.

French sites call test the equivalent of review like I know a site called jeuxvideos.com that they call the review "test".

The way he worded was crystal clear: the pic is a sneak peak and has nothing to do with leaking.

It feels so weird when French is your first language and seeing several people not getting it while you can clearly. I feel...special!

But yeah, not a leak. Tough, it means review copy are starting to get received which might point to more leaks.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Eh, looks like I'll be leaving after RTC does Robin and Lucina I think. Since it looks like the roster is about to be leaked.

Also, I will be pretty upset if Metal Sonic is a real Alt for Sonic. I hate when they change them into full different characters.

Naoshi

It said it was a leak on Gamefaqs but i'm not sure myself.
I was told it was from a french reviewer, so it's a review copy likely. Others told me they were american/japanese events (they were guessing though lol) but it seems the french reviewer part is true instead.

Eh, looks like I'll be leaving after RTC does Robin and Lucina I think. Since it looks like the roster is about to be leaked.

Also, I will be pretty upset if Metal Sonic is a real Alt for Sonic. I hate when they change them into full different characters.
The game isn't getting leaked now. It was a french reviewer's picture.

That Metal Sonic alt vid is very likely fake as it looks too suspicious and the "flashing" when selecting does not look accurate to the real footages. I'm with you about hating it when they use completely different characters as alts for another character, but I feel Metal Sonic is an exception since he is literally a robot version of Sonic. (even though 2 different entities)

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Wolf still plays his part in all the games hes in and he always will, he is fox's Rival consistently. If you think metaknights personality is more fleshed out than wolfs I dont know what to tell you.

To tell the truth most oldschool nintendo fans cant even name half of the newcomers, most are like who are these random characters. (stupid marketing)
I don't think either are fleshed out, but metaknight has more appearances I believe in a more important franchise. I don't care about either of them, but metaknight has a place.

The only way Squirtle can be seen as 'spiritually replaced' is if Greninja is a water starter and there is a suitable grass starter to replace Ivysaur. Otherwise, no, Greninja is just a hapless sixth gen rep who happens to be a water Pokemon starter in the next game. Greninja and Squirtle fight nothing alike, and if you remove the necessary Pokemon battle representation out of it with the starter trio, the essence of Pokemon being gone with both BATTLES and starer pokemon, then not only is Greninja a poor choice, but he has absolutely no connection with Squirtle whatsoever other than being a Pokemon.
The biggest disappointment with this roster for me will be the essence of Pokemon. Up until this game, Sakurai has done a terrific job with catching elements of Pokemon. He understood the importance of trading in Chrom for Robin, going as far as stating

I can only hope he understands all that Pokemon is missing just by having random Pokemon in place- that the series of Pokemon is so much more than just random Pocket monsters. I think his inclusion of Pomeon Trainer at all shows he knows this.

Ultimately, Sakurai is aware of how important Pokemon is to Nintendo. It got two reps in the first game, two in the second, and four in third. I cannot believe it would only get one this game, and based on a sketch, at that....
It is a MAJOR franchise to Nintendo, and if Mario is getting this much attention, I would be utterly shocked to see Pokemon so ***** slapped.I honestly could see Pokemon getting up to 8 characters without it seeming overboard on a close to 60 character roster.
Personally, I would go with
Pikachu, Lucario, Greninja, Charizard, Sceptile, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff.

I hope we get some major surprises with Pokemon Trainer. We have been told all characters were taken from scratch, and seen how evident this is in Bowser and Pit. Hopeful for what this means with Pokemon Trainer, beacuse he is such a vital part of Pokemon, and he ushered in the avatar character, which we now have four more of (Mii, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager). He is my number one most anticipated returning character, and as far as I'm concerned, far more worthy of returning than Snake, Lucas, Wolf, or Ice Climbers, ten fold. Bitter immensely at all these "smash fans" who don't even give him the time to be mentioned.

Putting squirtle in with Geninja would make no sense. And they can't just over rep gen 1, no matter how much we like it, it's logical. I'm sorry you loved the trainer and love gen 1, but an X/Y rep made the most sense.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I don't think either are fleshed out, but metaknight has more appearances I believe in a more important franchise. I don't care about either of them, but metaknight has a place.

Putting squirtle in with Geninja would make no sense. And they can't just over rep gen 1, no matter how much we like it, it's logical. I'm sorry you loved the trainer and love gen 1, but an X/Y rep made the most sense.
you are leading me to believe you hate wolf for some reason hey but it is you not me and you are entitled to your opinion but I thought I should point that out.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
PAUSE SCREEN CONFIRMED!

Well, it looks like a pretty nice pause screen, at least. Nice to see that there's an easy quit button now.

Though I don't think this has any relevance to any actual characters.

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
The pause screen looks strange with Kirby be grey-scale while all the CPUs are in full color. I don't like that.
I think that is just a kirby alt in that situation. I could be wrong though since I haven't analyzed it that much...

PS. I'm new here so if the quote link is wrong my apologies

*EDIT* apparently I did it right... yippie...

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Right then: Ice Climbers.

I'm confused by the whole "too complicated for 3DS" thing. Because some people say that, then others say the 3DS is MORE powerful than the Gamecube.

Basically, what are the hardware specs for the Gamecube and 3DS? As a comparison. I just don't see Ice Climbers as a justifiable cut, so I ask this question.
The CPU is what hamstrings the 3DS vs. the Cube. The GPU is comparable and the 3DS has more RAM. Funny thing is, the CPU on the NEW 3DS could likely handle the Icies.

Nintendo 3DS
CPU: 266MHz ARM11 X 2GPU: DMP PICA220 133MHz (MAX 200MHz) - Polygons: generates 15.3 million per second at its native 200MHz
RAM: 64MB of RAM, 4MB of dedicated VRAM,
1.5GB of flash storage.

Gamecube
CPU: 485MHz IBM Gekko PowerPC
GPU: ATI Flipper 162MHz - Polygons: 20 million per second
RAM: 24MB 1T-SRAM, 16MB DRAM

Last edited:

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
I think a cool way to rework the Pokemon trainer is to have him physically on the battlefield. Neutral B would summon 1 of 3 Pokemon to assist in standard attacks similar to Rosalina & Luma. However Pokemon each have HP bars and can be KO'd. Up B would be fly which would summon a flying type. Down B would be dig which would summon a ground type for a teleportation type move which would take you across the field and pop you up after. How far it takes you would based on how long you hold the button. Side B would be bicycle which would work similarly to Wario's bike. Good Rod could work as a throw/tether recovery. Final Smash could be EXP All which begins with fighters getting caught in Hm05 (flash) then summons 5 previous Pokemon plus a 6th, presumably a fully evolved/mega evolution for a big cinematic team attack.

To play up the idea that you are fighting as the Pokemon trainer himself I think it makes sense to have a moveset primarily based on Key Items and HM moves. Taunts could involve the pokedex, the poke flute and poke balls.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
I think that is just a kirby alt in that situation. I could be wrong though since I haven't analyzed it that much...

PS. I'm new here so if the quote link is wrong my apologies

*EDIT* apparently I did it right... yippie...
Hi! Welcome! You can just click "reply" next to the message.

So, anybody want to share possible DLC? Here is mine.

Melee Pack: Young Link, Roy, Pichu, Mewtwo
Brawl Pack: Icies, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake,
Clone or Semi-Clone Pack: Wolf, Lucas, Toon Zelda, Black Shadow
Popular Pack: Ridley, K. Rool, Rayman, Impa
Other: Hades, Sceptile, Knuckles, Masked Man

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Also, can someone tell me why so many people like Wolf so much? I've seen more people in this thread get upset over Wolf being cut than more unique characters like Ice Climbers, Snake, or even Lucas. I don't understand why people would rather have a 3rd copy-paste Star Fox clone than having an original character not getting the axe. Not sure if it's for personal reasons or what, but I think that Wolf should've gotten cut before the leak even happened.
Because he's a cool recurring character from an awesome series.

I would love to see costume or stage packs. Specifically one that adds a Mario 3D World stage if one isn't included in game.

Last edited:

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman

Thank you very much, I will use that from now on (and technically already did just now...)

and my whole view on DLC:
could either enjoy or pass on it, depending on the quality of the roster selection provided for DLC.
That's pretty much it. All your ideas for characters are awesome and I would to see it in any way.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Impa... really isn't that popular. A better pick for a "Popular Pack" would actually be Isaac. He's not nearly as popular as K. Rool and Ridley, but he's certainly been quite consistently in the Top 10 of most lists I see online. Impa hasn't really been brought up until VERY recently.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Not sure if I have already shown you guys my newest roster, but in the case that I haven't here it is. How do you like?

Mii's would be replaced by the random button when customization is turned off.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Not sure if I have already shown you guys my newest roster, but in the case that I haven't here it is. How do you like?

I'd honestly be fine with this roster, which means it won't happen. You know, since Sakurai hates me.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
you are leading me to believe you hate wolf for some reason hey but it is you not me and you are entitled to your opinion but I thought I should point that out.
I just stated that I'm indifferent to him (and metaknight). I don't have a problem with him being in the game, or cut, it really doesnt matter to me. But if there have to b characters cut, after lucas, Wolf objectively is the far and away obvious choice. And I can be more objective than guys who count star fox (or wolf) among their favorites, because those people are obviously bias towards him.

D

Deleted member

Oh my god where did you get that Duck Hunt icon? The quality is so good!

Naoshi

I don't see how Knuckles is possible, even as DLC. I mean, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of Sonic getting a 2nd rep. Like... if he gets a 2nd rep then the other third parties has to as well.

Only other criticism is that the "Popular Pack"'s name sounds a little biased, idk.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Looks good to me. I don't think we're getting Lucas and Ice Climbers, but its got 5/6 of my six most wanted, I'd love this for certain.

Naoshi

Thinking about it, even if we get DLC, I don't think we're going to see a lot of newcomers. Maybe 2 to 4 at most, but not more. Wouldn't it make more sense to save tons of characters for the next game?

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Thinking about it, even if we get DLC, I don't think we're going to see a lot of newcomers. Maybe 2 to 4 at most, but not more. Wouldn't it make more sense to save tons of characters for the next game?
For the sake of having characters to add in the next sequel? Nah. There should be a lot of stuff that comes up between now and the next 5 or 6 years. They should unload whatever they can now for maximum profit!

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

This is not going to happen but if it did I would have every character except Takamaru from my top 10 newcomers list and every Brawl character I cared about. 10/10

I just hope we get cut vets as DLC, with maybe 2-3 actual new comers. That's all I really want.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It would if there were already concrete plans to make the next games, and while I don't doubt they'll happen eventually, the guy who is in charge of making the rosters makes each one like it's his last, so no, I don't think there will be much deliberate saving of characters for next time.

I also don't think he'll swing for the fences with DLC either though, I think it'll mostly consist of characters cut, planned, or for one reason or another easy to implement.

Though I didn't expect Link in Kart, a whole other extra game with NSMBU, or a back catalog of FE Lords in Awakening either, so who ****ing knows anymore. :laugh:

Last edited:

Naoshi

For the sake of having characters to add in the next sequel? Nah. There should be a lot of stuff that comes up between now and the next 5 or 6 years. They should unload whatever they can now for maximum profit!
Er, I really doubt that will ever happen.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
DLC Wise I see us getting:
-Any cut vet minus Snake and Melee cuts except Mewtwo. Even Ivysaur and Squirt have a shot.

Newcomer Wise King K Rool is for sure. A RH character is also possible I guess. Not sure about who else. I'd like a certain Fire Emblem character (Anna or Micaiah) but I doubt it.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Er, I really doubt that will ever happen.
They may not give us everyone there is, but I think they'll attempt to provide as many as they can before being unable to continue. In other words, I don't think they'll cap the number of DLC characters for the sake of a game that won't be out for years.

Naoshi

It would if there were already concrete plans to make the next games, and while I don't doubt they'll happen eventually, the guy who is in charge of making the rosters makes each one like it's his last, so no, I don't think there will be much deliberate saving of characters for next time.

I also don't think he'll swing for the fences with DLC either though, I think it'll mostly consist of characters cut, planned, or for one reason or another easy to implement.

Though I didn't expect Link in Kart, a whole other extra game with NSMBU, or a back catalog of FE Lords in Awakening either, so who ****ing knows anymore. :laugh:
I expect maybe 2-4 (or 5?) newcomers and a bunch of cut veterans for DLC.

But considering Smash Bros requires a lot more effort to be made when it comes to adding characters, I don't think they'll dedicate so much to DLC as much as some would think. I mean, I could be wrong, but I feel the chances of having a boatload of newcomer DLC is pretty low. Hence why I don't expect a whole lot.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I believe it was this one. I found it on the Roster Maker thread.

Why do you say that?
I honestly think we do not have that many unrevealed characters, for a variety of reasons. I would love to be wrong, though.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I expect maybe 2-4 (or 5?) newcomers and a bunch of cut veterans for DLC.

But considering Smash Bros requires a lot more effort to be made when it comes to adding characters, I don't think they'll dedicate so much to DLC as much as some would think. I mean, I could be wrong, but I feel the chances of having a boatload of newcomer DLC is pretty low. Hence why I don't expect a whole lot.
This is far better reasoning than to suggest "they're saving characters for the next game." That's the worst excuse ever, Sakurai has flat out stated he makes each game like its the last. He'll pile in as many characters as he possibly can.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
This is far better reasoning than to suggest "they're saving characters for the next game." That's the worst excuse ever, Sakurai has flat out stated he makes each game like its the last. He'll pile in as many characters as he possibly can.
This is what makes me think that Smash wouldn't be 60 FPS if the Climbers didn't work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom