• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

THEN, when all was said and done, Sakurai had some extra time, so he promoted Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario from "alternate costume" to "playable character." It would have been amazing if he could have instead done this for Lucas and Wolf, but he probably didn't have enough time to do something of that scale.
My theory is that he couldn't have done that for Lucas or Wolf even if he had wanted to. The alts had models already, Lucas and Wolf did not. It would have taken too much time.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Also, can someone tell me why so many people like Wolf so much? I've seen more people in this thread get upset over Wolf being cut than more unique characters like Ice Climbers, Snake, or even Lucas. I don't understand why people would rather have a 3rd copy-paste Star Fox clone than having an original character not getting the axe. Not sure if it's for personal reasons or what, but I think that Wolf should've gotten cut before the leak even happened.
Because Wolf is mostly entirely original, he's got a few vaguely similar moves and a cloned Final Smash. That's it. There's honestly no reason to cut Wolf at all. Falco is a copypaste of Fox, Wolf is far more different.

It's because he's a space animal.
Snake is "more a PlayStation character than Nintendo."
Lucas is "just a clone."
Ice Climbers are "cheap"
I think more people bring up Wolf because he has a legitimate reason for not being unlocked yet on said leaked roster. Ness is right in the middle of a bunch of single franchise reps and Ice Climbers have been starters for two games straight and were said to have problems during development on the 3DS. Wolf can slide right in without any issues whatsoever.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Truer words have never been spoken.

Pokemon Trainer is the only veteran other than Sonic which I REALLY cared about. And the only Nintendo character I actually gave a damn about in Brawl.
His exclusion is still the worst part of the current roster. Now I don't mind that Charizard broke off because his moveset was unique enough to warrant this, and I'd say the most reliable of the 3. BUT this is no reason why Squirtle and Ivysaur coultn't get a buff.

Hope trainer returns with a new mechanic so he can get his 3 starters (and maybe more) working.

What is most painful is that when people hear "POKEMON TRAINER" they immediately jump to "Sakurai said no transformations".
... well, who says that's the ONLY way to go about a character like him? Anyone else heard of FAT PRINCESS in PSASBR, or Yami Yugi in JUMP Ultimate Stars? Or Cream the Rabbit in Sonic Battle?
In other words, you want Red to be out there taking it on the chin? Fat chance. Pokemon trainers are cowards.

?????????????

Smash Master
Truer words have never been spoken.

Pokemon Trainer is the only veteran other than Sonic which I REALLY cared about. And the only Nintendo character I actually gave a damn about in Brawl.
His exclusion is still the worst part of the current roster. Now I don't mind that Charizard broke off because his moveset was unique enough to warrant this, and I'd say the most reliable of the 3. BUT this is no reason why Squirtle and Ivysaur coultn't get a buff.

Hope trainer returns with a new mechanic so he can get his 3 starters (and maybe more) working.

What is most painful is that when people hear "POKEMON TRAINER" they immediately jump to "Sakurai said no transformations".
... well, who says that's the ONLY way to go about a character like him? Anyone else heard of FAT PRINCESS in PSASBR, or Yami Yugi in JUMP Ultimate Stars? Or Cream the Rabbit in Sonic Battle?
Ooooh, that'd be a cool way to do Pokemon Trainer! What if he just spontaneously called out Pokemon with his moves and actions? He could use a Gogoat to run, a Pidgeot to fly, Machamp combo moves....

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I like to think that he went ahead with Lucina, Doc, and Dark Pit because he has DLC in mind, and these 3 (or at least the last 2) wouldn't have had much of an impact saleswise.

In other words, you want Red to be out there taking it on the chin? Fat chance. Pokemon trainers are cowards.
Hey, ever read the manga? Red takes a LOT of punishment, he likes it, and pays it back double. ;)
Besides, remember that Pokemon Trainers once went to war. If not, ask Lt.Surge!

D

Deleted member

So am I late to the party or will I be the only who is gonna miss King Dedede's big gay dance final smash?

mark welford

Smash Ace
Because Wolf is mostly entirely original, he's got a few vaguely similar moves and a cloned Final Smash. That's it. There's honestly no reason to cut Wolf at all. Falco is a copypaste of Fox, Wolf is far more different.

I think more people bring up Wolf because he has a legitimate reason for not being unlocked yet on said leaked roster. Ness is right in the middle of a bunch of single franchise reps and Ice Climbers have been starters for two games straight and were said to have problems during development on the 3DS. Wolf can slide right in without any issues whatsoever.
agreed he would fit in that roster without messing up the flow the roster has and I do believe he is in the game and the theory is that like in brawl he will be a late unlockable if he is in the game which I do believe he is but the leaker didn't unlock him yet.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Hey, ever read the manga? Red takes a LOT of punishment, he likes it, and pays it back double. ;)
Besides, remember that Pokemon Trainers once went to war. If not, ask Lt.Surge!
I've never read the manga, tbh. Red has a very interesting fetish.
So am I late to the party or will I be the only who is gonna miss King Dedede's big gay dance final smash?
You are not alone. The best part about the character heinously stripped from his moveset and now his final smash. I've already called Sakurai's decision making ability into question before, so I won't go on about it. Let's just say this game went from being a day 2 purchase to a day 3.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I cannot see a Pokemon Trainer directly fighting, it's not a very good representation of pokemon trainers IMO. Red using his Pokemon to fight in Brawl was the perfect way of representing pokemon trainers in Smash Bros. That was his whole point of his inclusion in Brawl.

Last edited:

Naoshi

We'll have the forbidden 14 this time :awesome:
Also people besides Autumn ♫ Autumn ♫ still believe in Vaati?
I mean... I like Vaati and all but it's kind of a whole another thing to expect him to get in the roster. We'd sooner get Impa or Tingle than Vaati. I mean, when was the last time Vaati made an appearance? I mean yes, I am aware we have Shiek, but she became a mainstay of the roster and she was relevent when she was introduced in Melee. But Vaati compared to the other Zelda characters... IDK

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I mean... I like Vaati and all but it's kind of a whole another thing to expect him to get in the roster. We'd sooner get Impa or Tingle than Vaati. I mean, when was the last time Vaati made an appearance? I mean yes, I am aware we have Shiek, but she became a mainstay of the roster and she was relevent when she was introduced in Melee. But Vaati compared to the other Zelda characters... IDK
Last time he appeared was a couple months before Skyward Sword. Wasn't that long ago... :glare:

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
brainstorm with me what if this time around he is one of the end of the line hard to reach characters? in my opinion sakurai could of did that to make people work hard.
Actually I think there's a chance Wolf is there, hiding between the remaining characters. Although Ninka's leak looks pretty legit and it states he is cut, so I don't know what to believe. He was one of my mains in Brawl, so I'd be happy if he's still here.

?????????????

Smash Master
Actually I think there's a chance Wolf is there, hiding between the remaining characters. Although Ninka's leak looks pretty legit and it states he is cut, so I don't know what to believe. He was one of my mains in Brawl, so I'd be happy if he's still here.
That comes to a question of whether he knew Wolf was cut, or assumed so because he hadn't seen him yet.

Honestly, I would expect the former, given that he knew he hadn't unlocked All-Star Mode yet. But who knows?

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
what he actually said was his friend did not see them it couldn't of been a final build and I strongly believe he is there but like one of those characters that is in the last batch of unlockables that are hard to get.
That comes to a question of whether he knew Wolf was cut, or assumed so because he hadn't seen him yet.

Honestly, I would expect the former, given that he knew he hadn't unlocked All-Star Mode yet. But who knows?
agreed I too do think he is assuming because he did not see him.
Wolf required the most matches, so I went the SSE route.
that is why I say he is probably a hard to reach, end of the line character.

?????????????

Smash Master
I'll make it simpler. I believe he believes that he knows Wolf is cut, because he knows he doesn't have every character unlocked, yet he believes Wolf is cut.

...Not sure if that was conveyed any better.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I'll make it simpler. I believe he believes that he knows Wolf is cut, because he knows he doesn't have every character unlocked, yet he believes Wolf is cut.

...Not sure if that was conveyed any better.
the leaker assumed he is cut and actually when you unlock every character you get a notice saying you did it. did anyone ask the leaker he got a notice like that?

?????????????

Smash Master
the leaker assumed he is cut and actually when you unlock every character you get a notice saying you did it. did anyone ask the leaker he got a notice like that?
I don't think anyone asked him that specifically, but I think he already knew he didn't have every character because there was still a padlock on All-Star Mode.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think anyone asked him that specifically, but I think he already knew he didn't have every character because there was still a padlock on All-Star Mode.
In all honesty, I think he would've flat out shown that All-Star was fully unlocked if he did have All-Star fully unlocked. That's why I don't buy the "different times" theory. He'd WANT people to know it was the full roster.

?????????????

Smash Master
In all honesty, I think he would've flat out shown that All-Star was fully unlocked if he did have All-Star fully unlocked. That's why I don't buy the "different times" theory. He'd WANT people to know it was the full roster.
Exactly. A leaker would want to show eveything, if he had it.

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
Right then: Ice Climbers.

I'm confused by the whole "too complicated for 3DS" thing. Because some people say that, then others say the 3DS is MORE powerful than the Gamecube.

Basically, what are the hardware specs for the Gamecube and 3DS? As a comparison. I just don't see Ice Climbers as a justifiable cut, so I ask this question.

Naoshi

Last time he appeared was a couple months before Skyward Sword. Wasn't that long ago... :glare:
The Four Swords remake? I forgot about that. IDK, that wasn't a major appearence. I mean... it was just a small short DSiWare game.

I'd LOVE to see him getting in the game, it would be cool but I'm not expecting it. :(

Right then: Ice Climbers.

I'm confused by the whole "too complicated for 3DS" thing. Because some people say that, then others say the 3DS is MORE powerful than the Gamecube.

Basically, what are the hardware specs for the Gamecube and 3DS? As a comparison. I just don't see Ice Climbers as a justifiable cut, so I ask this question.
3DS just has modern shaders, but it is not powerful than the Wii and probably not more powerful than the Gamecube. The lower resolution helps them making graphics look a lot closer to the GC/Wii though (3DS is 240p as Wii/GC is 480p, but the 3DS's GPU I believe is much weaker)

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
dedede's final smash is the big gay bomb (*sigh* its just not the same)

wolf was the first out of the 3 super secret characters, mainly because of SSE and he commited suicide when he appeared

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
3DS just has modern shaders, but it is not powerful than the Wii and probably not more powerful than the Gamecube. The lower resolution helps them making graphics look a lot closer to the GC/Wii though (3DS is 240p as Wii/GC is 480p, but the 3DS's GPU I believe is much weaker)
I dunno. I just don't buy the whole "isn't powerful enough" argument. I don't imagine that programing it would be a problem.

I keep hearing (or reading) it's to do with the frame rate, but that seems right to me either!
Given, I don't have the greatest hopes for them being in the initial roster (as in if DLC happens), but I must question further details as to why the Ice Climbers aren't likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom