• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Does anyone recognize the enemy in the bottom left corner? The closest thing to it I could find are the Pigtunias from Mother 3.
Probably Kid Icarus, with all the love it's getting.

Personally, I hope we see Dark Pit's fate ASAP so I barely have to see anything about him here.

Morbi

Scavenger
Probably Kid Icarus, with all the love it's getting.

Personally, I hope we see Dark Pit's fate ASAP so I barely have to see anything about him here.
Dark Pit? Interesting discussion topic, thank you for bringing it up! I would hate to sound pretentious; however, I find those who believe that he is an alternate costume inept at speculation as they fail to comprehend Sakurai's very own words in favor of their biased opinions based on outdated precedence. Regardless, I am certain that his role will be amazing, even if he is not playable. I hope that he is confirmed as playable; however, so that I might play as Pittoo whilst my sister plays as Pit. It would certainly be glorious.

Dark Pit needs his own emoticon. :4pit:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Welp, because of your statement about not wanting to see him, you had to see him one more time :troll:

Though I agree, knowing his fate would be nice.

Morbi

Scavenger
Welp, because of your statement about not wanting to see him, you had to see him one more time :troll:

Though I agree, knowing his fate would be nice.
Oh, we will certainly be seeing more Dark Pit in the future regardless of his fate. :troll:

Knowing is believing, I suppose. But, I can tell you this, as you are curious. Do not tell your friends, please.

Dark Pit is in the game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It is also illogical (perhaps even more so) to assert a presumptuous perspective over the one presented to us.
Identifying Method of Operation is not a presumptuous perspective, it is studying the behaviors, statements, and habits of an individual to try to understand his or her thought process. To call it a presumptuous perspective is about as accurate as to claim that numerically analyzing the data we have been given on the roster we can identify the CSS or series representation.

Morbi

Scavenger
Identifying Method of Operation is not a presumptuous perspective, it is studying the behaviors, statements, and habits of an individual to try to understand his or her thought process. To call it a presumptuous perspective is about as accurate as to claim that numerically analyzing the data we have been given on the roster we can identify the CSS or series representation.
Is there a way to "numerically analyze the data we have been given on the roster so that we can identify the CSS or series representation" in favor of Dark Pit? If not, I am not interested. :troll:

"Bu-butt, Keed Ikrus: Downrising onlee getz uno knewcumer becuz... Sackuray iz r naht biazed, Looseena acception ta rul."

Edit- I did not mean to insinuate that that line was you in any way, shape, or form. It is my interpretation of the arguments against Dark Pit. Haha...

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Dark Pit? Interesting discussion topic, thank you for bringing it up! I would hate to sound pretentious; however, I find those who believe that he is an alternate costume inept at speculation as they fail to comprehend Sakurai's very own words in favor of their biased opinions based on outdated precedence. Regardless, I am certain that his role will be amazing, even if he is not playable. I hope that he is confirmed as playable; however, so that I might play as Pittoo whilst my sister plays as Pit. It would certainly be glorious.

Dark Pit needs his own emoticon. :4pit:
Wasn't this topic already up? I saw him on the same page while scrolling on my phone so I don't think I brought him.

Regardless, I'm sure someone would've brought him up in no time.

Morbi

Scavenger
Wasn't this topic already up? I saw him on the same page while scrolling on my phone so I don't think I brought him.

Regardless, I'm sure someone would've brought him up in no time.
Did you perhaps misspell, "MorbidAltruism," as "someone"? I suppose you are correct, if it was not the current topic, I would have done everything in an attempt to change that.

The case of Dark Pit requires more minds to discern reality from fiction; however, it seems as though people do not wish to contemplate the possibilities. So a little encouragement goes a long way! :4pit:

Albeit, I am sure that my enthusiasm probably turns more people off to the sentiment than it helps to incite discussion. I; however, open the floor to anyone that believes otherwise (in regards to playable Dark Pit) with plausible reason as I am always looking to alter my perspective.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm curious Morbid, have you considered before that it was just clones from past Smash games which may have, as you perceive, altered the playing grounds for Lucina?
I disagree on many of the points you bring up about Pit's favor, but one thing I do agree on is that there is of course the possibility that Lucina is not the only clone, and that she may have been swayed into creation based on another characters split. You argue Dark Pit and Dr Mario (though I've not read into why Dr Mario), and I'm curious why you would not consider the possibility that characters like Lucas and Ness were going to be alternates, and that they instead were the ones who were divided, which gave rise to your infamous
However.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm curious Morbid, have you considered before that it was just clones from past Smash games which may have, as you perceive, altered the playing grounds for Lucina?
I disagree on many of the points you bring up about Pit's favor, but one thing I do agree on is that there is of course the possibility that Lucina is not the only clone, and that she may have been swayed into creation based on another characters split. You argue Dark Pit and Dr Mario (though I've not read into why Dr Mario), and I'm curious why you would not consider the possibility that characters like Lucas and Ness were going to be alternates, and that they instead were the ones who were divided, which gave rise to your famous However.
I never considered such as they were already separate characters; HOWEVER, that is certainly a good point. I suppose it is entirely possible. I would probably still assert in favor of something more unprecedented inciting the change, but I have been wrong before (no, not I have not :troll:).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I never considered such as they were already separate characters; HOWEVER, that is certainly a good point. I suppose it is entirely possible. I would probably still assert in favor of something more unprecedented inciting the change, but I have been wrong before (no, not I have not :troll:).
It would be unprecedented no matter what the scenario, as we have never had Alt Characters before (or even the mention that they were in development, and likey they never were given the lack of true alt costumes until this game).
We have plenty of evidence that clone characters may have been on the cutting block- move customization, alt characters confirmed, the words Sakurai has made into a calling card on this site. He has even expressed somewhat dismay at having to include characters who are not fully original, and has in fact stated in the past Mario's Doctor version was included for the music after being offered, at first, as a joke idea.

There is also a much better representation of series balance we are getting this game in regards to things such as popularity/sales, and number of games, which is shown most evidently in the likes of Wii Fit Trainer. She is representing Nintendo's fourth highest grossing franchise, period. It seems her unique 'gimmick' could have been given to many other types of characters, and she does not appear to be full of a personality that would have gotten her on board; she has been otherwise forced into a community which in large part still having a hard time accepting her.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I have realized that supporting characters that everyone wants is futile, Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, nothing matters anymore, the only character that's worthy of being supported now it's Dark Pit, our lord and savior.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have realized that supporting characters that everyone wants is futile, Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, nothing matters anymore, the only character that's worthy of being supported now it's Dark Pit, our lord and savior.
Thank you! It is great when one comprehends the truth of the matter. Dark Pit is our Lord and savior, amen.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
sorry, but i only have one character left to support for this thing...

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Thank you! It is great when one comprehends the truth of the matter. Dark Pit is our Lord and savior, amen.
I have to admit, I rather dislike this concept of a "Lord and savior" character.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I have to admit, I rather dislike this concept of a "Lord and savior" character.
I don't know what your reasoning is, but I feel strongly the same. Whenever someone gets on a "lord and savior" kick with a character, I start to get offended, so I tend to step out of the conversation at that point. When Goomy was revealed for Pokémon X/Y, I became very uncomfortable.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Did you perhaps misspell, "MorbidAltruism," as "someone"? I suppose you are correct, if it was not the current topic, I would have done everything in an attempt to change that.
Nah, I meant "someone." :p
There's nothing wrong with people supporting characters. I receive a lot of criticism for supporting Paper Mario, an alternate version of Mario, so I understand your points and I agree that the trailer increases his chance towards playability. However, I also think that the trailer could hint towards the following: Alt costume, stage hazard, or playability. I'm personally leaning towards a stage hazard at most.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I will now attempt to argue that Dark Pit would not be made a playable character because, as a fallen angel, he would be considered Lucifer in many places. Devil alone caused some issues as the AT, but having a playable Satan... I'm just wondering what countries that had issue with Injustice would do. Would the game even clear in certain regions? To play as a fallen angel just so flippantly?

Slightly a joke.

Slightly.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
I will now attempt to argue that Dark Pit would not be made a playable character because, as a fallen angel, he would be considered Lucifer in many places. Devil alone caused some issues as the AT, but having a playable Satan... I'm just wondering what countries that had issue with Injustice would do. Would the game even clear in certain regions? To play as a fallen angel just so flippantly?

Slightly a joke.

Slightly.
A lot of religious people considered Pokemon to be the devil when it came out. *shrug*

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Nah, I meant "someone." :p
There's nothing wrong with people supporting characters. I receive a lot of criticism for supporting Paper Mario, an alternate version of Mario, so I understand your points and I agree that the trailer increases his chance towards playability. However, I also think that the trailer could hint towards the following: Alt costume, stage hazard, or playability. I'm personally leaning towards a stage hazard at most.
I still believe that his lack of a confirmation in Palutena's trailer indicates that he's not playable. But some kind of role in the game, whether it's a special alternate costume or some kind of stage hazard, is practically guaranteed.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

Slightly a joke.

Slightly.
I had no idea the world was that soft. Where were these people when Bayonetta was literally dismembering angels? I don't think religious overtones should be an issue in video games at all. They're a province of creative expression and it's already a shame that Sub-Zero's fatality introduced the rating system way back.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I had no idea the world was that soft. Where were these people when Bayonetta was literally dismembering angels? I don't think religious overtones should be an issue in video games at all. They're a province of creative expression and it's already a shame that Sub-Zero's fatality introduced the rating system way back.
I won't pretend to have done much direct research on this issue, though I may now proceed to do so; but it has very little to do with being soft. I remember peripherally hearing that xbox was banned from one country for a long period of time, no?

This is not really something I can represent without knowing more of the actual facts, but it is not exactly a light topic, considering it involves more heavy issues that delve into peoples true beliefs. The things you really need to discuss to know who a person is, but directly involve 'religion and politics,' which are somehow in this country I live in, the USA, considered impolite to talk about.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
But what if Ridley goes against all odds, becomes playable and is worshipped as the lord and savior of Smash speculation? would you dislike him then? :awesome:

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
I won't pretend to have done much direct research on this issue, though I may now proceed to do so; but it has very little to do with being soft. I remember peripherally hearing that xbox was banned from one country for a long period of time, no?

This is not really something I can represent without knowing more of the actual facts, but it is not exactly a light topic, considering it involves more heavy issues that delve into peoples true beliefs. The things you really need to discuss to know who a person is, but directly involve 'religion and politics,' which are somehow in this country I live in, the USA, considered impolite to talk about.
LOLWUT?
By that logic, Diablo would've never released in the US. Besides, the US government separates church from state (although many ignorant people believe otherwise).

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Slightly a joke.

Slightly.
Woulnd't then Ganondorf, being the king of demons, also bother people then?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

Talking about volatile subjects like those would be the fastest way to lose the voter base, so I will have to agree with you. I've forgotten that I live in U.S. myself and know exactly how touchy people can get over their personal convictions. I would like to clarify that I'm not trying to condemn these beliefs, but what I am saying is that they shouldn't play an active part in regulating how a video game is developed. I think the censorship system we have in place right now will suffice. Why a country would go a step beyond and ban an entire system escapes me. I'm going off topic here, though.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But what if Ridley goes against all odds, becomes playable and is worshipped as the lord and savior of Smash speculation? would you dislike him then? :awesome:
First of all, Robin was the one who saved Smash speculation.

And actually, if that were to happen, I don't think I would dislike Ridley all of the sudden. It more so has to do with "lord and saviors" in speculation. I suppose I've developed a distaste for "worship" in speculation ever since the Gematsu leak and its zealots took over. It bothered me just how much people treated that thing like some sort of holy gospel.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Ganondorf's most controversial title to my knowledge is the dark lord. Don't know if it gets any worse than that. We need titles like these to identify the villains, else we may end up slaying innocent NPCs by accident.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
LOLWUT?
By that logic, Diablo would've never released in the US. Besides, the US government separates church from state (although many ignorant people believe otherwise).
Are we really going to get into the facade of the de jure law separating church and state versus the de facto implementation of its practice?

We are not talking about Diablo, a popular game in its own merits absolutely, but certainly not a game developed with as large of a fan base in mind, particularly with an attempt to reach even more people than the fan base even prior dictated.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
First of all, Robin was the one who saved Smash speculation.

And actually, if that were to happen, I don't think I would dislike Ridley all of the sudden. It more so has to do with "lord and saviors" in speculation. I suppose I've developed a distaste for "worship" in speculation ever since the Gematsu leak and its zealots took over. It bothered me just how much people treated that thing like some sort of holy gospel.
You will eventually have to fall into the salvation of Dark Pithism, you cannot escape!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You will eventually have to fall into the salvation of Dark Pithism, you cannot escape!
I don't have to if Dark Pit isn't a separate playable character.

So I should be alright.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Are we really going to get into the facade of the de jure law separating church and state versus the de facto implementation of its practice?

We are not talking about Diablo, a popular game in its own merits absolutely, but certainly not a game developed with as large of a fan base in mind, particularly with an attempt to reach even more people than the fan base even prior dictated.
Your point is still absolutely asinine. Bringing up people's sensibilities as a point AGAINST dark pit is a null point, since there's content throughout all media pertaining to religiosity and evil. Just because Dark Pit is "a fallen angel" we can't have him in the game? Let's just ignore the fact that he is NOTHING like the figure of Lucifer in the Biblical story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom