• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Anyway...

Even if the Sal Romano leak were to be fake, I think Shulk and at the very least Marshal are going to be in. What do you guys think?
I still think Shulk is a viable option, but I'm going to assume that the Chorus Men were as false as Chrom for the moment
Well, regardless of the Gematsu leak being untrustworthy, there is evidence towards a Rhythm Heaven character.
So the blank spot should be a RH character.
I do see the Sneaky Spirit as an odd thing in Smash Run, but we currently don't know if enemies have to be from a character represented franchise. We could very well have random enemies from various series running around, much like the items and stages with no character.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still think Shulk is a viable option, but I'm going to assume that the Chorus Men were as false as Chrom for the moment.
That's understandable. My reason for thinking Marshal is in is because of the Sneaky Spirit enemy in Smash Run. I just can't see a Rhythm Heaven enemy being in that without a playable character. But that's what my gut tells me.

Also, I like the roster. I'm not a huge fan of Krystal, but it still looks nice. At least that alone proves why the 47 character roster thing is bs, not that it needed proving. Looks good.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Everyone's a little bit ra- err, biased.

So how about Rayman for DLC? No? Happy Mask Salesman?

Anyway, I've done some thinking on a larger roster, looking for some input as per usual. And some help.

First notes right off the bat, as Miis are entirely custom characters, I would suspect that their icon will only appear when that nice big customizations button is on, perhaps they would replace random. Then there's that obvious blank space, that's where I'm looking for help, I'm sure there'll be varying opinions of who should go there. I've also added our beloved pink puff (the eyeball, not the marshmallow) back. One thing I'm rather happy about is that everyone has a nice looking icon for once.

I'm also prepared for the inevitable Snake/Krystal/whatever haters, so say what you will, I really don't care. I'm thinking positive!
I would suggest a Rythm heaven character to fill that slot. Or maybe Hawlucha :awesome:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Anyway...

Even if the Sal Romano leak were to be fake, I think Shulk and at the very least Marshal are going to be in. What do you guys think?
I still think that K. Rool and Ridley need some heavy attention first. I'm okay with Shulk, but I'm still not sold on seeing a Rhythm Heaven fighter, regardless of the franchise's representation in Smash Run.

D

Deleted member

I've warmed up a bit to Marshal myself, mainly because the irritating "Chorus Men can mean Marshal" hoopla is now "The potential RH character can be Marshal", which is much more reasonable.

Wrestler & Reporter are still my top choice, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Khoru

Smash Champion

Anyway, I've done some thinking on a larger roster, looking for some input as per usual. And some help.

First notes right off the bat, as Miis are entirely custom characters, I would suspect that their icon will only appear when that nice big customizations button is on, perhaps they would replace random. Then there's that obvious blank space, that's where I'm looking for help, I'm sure there'll be varying opinions of who should go there. I've also added our beloved pink puff (the eyeball, not the marshmallow) back. One thing I'm rather happy about is that everyone has a nice looking icon for once.

I'm also prepared for the inevitable Snake/Krystal/whatever haters, so say what you will, I really don't care. I'm thinking positive!
if anything, i'd advise placing the icons in the order of the demo roster

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I don't get why people are expecting a lot more newcomers, Sakurai said they're running out of new challenger videos and he also stated that they were going to make videos for all new characters, put two and two together you'll know that there aren't that many newcomers left. Not to mention Sakurai has also stated that there's not going to be as many newcomers as before. We'll probably get four more newcomers AT MOST.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai actually never said there wouldn't be as many Newcomers as before.

That's just fan speculation.

Burruni

Smash Hero
While I am someone who's in the 4x13 belief, "detracting" pool for Snake and a few of these newcomers, I would have absolutely no qualms with this roster as long as the blank spot went to a RH rep, preferably Marshal. It mostly comes from some personal bias against some of these newcomers... if for no other reason than I love seeing "nonsensical" fighters join the roster like Mr.G&W, Ice Climbers, WFT, a RH rep, and to an extent Jigglypuff and Wario instead of some big "fan favorites" like say Ridley, Krystal, or Mewtwo. The biggest lines this walks on for me is Snake and having 2 new DK reps. No roster is gonna please everyone, and just putting a RH rep in the blank spot would be enough to make this damn well good enough to hit most "demographics." Sorry if this came out salty, but if we can get 4x14, please let it look like this.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Popularity is a major factor, but its not the end-all decision. However, if a character is both popular and brings something new to the table, its a win-win situation all around. If the character is also important to the series, then that's a win-win-win scenario. I'm sure all of these options are considering in choosing characters.

However, if there are two characters of equal importance, one brings something new and one is barely different from existing characters, the one that brings something new is the clear winner.

I'd say Isaac, personally. An RH rep is also possible, but I highly doubt both Krystal to be added and Snake coming back. If I were to pick that roster, I'd drop Krystal and Snake, add Isaac and Sami for sure. For the final slot, an RH rep or Black Shadow.

I'm not 100% sold on Takamaru, but its possible.

I don't get why people are expecting a lot more newcomers, Sakurai said they're running out of new challenger videos and he also stated that they were going to make videos for all new characters, put two and two together you'll know that there aren't that many newcomers left. Not to mention Sakurai has also stated that there's not going to be as many newcomers as before. We'll probably get four more newcomers AT MOST.
Mistranslations, mistranslations everywhere. Sakurai never said we're not getting as many newcomers as before, and he never said we were running out of newcomers, just newcomer VIDEOS. That actually implies there may be several more characters we don't know about yet, and several characters could also be late additions, as well. This actually hints at more characters than we were expecting originally.

While I am someone who's in the 4x13 belief, "detracting" pool for Snake and a few of these newcomers, I would have absolutely no qualms with this roster as long as the blank spot went to a RH rep, preferably Marshal. It mostly comes from some personal bias against some of these newcomers... if for no other reason than I love seeing "nonsensical" fighters join the roster like Mr.G&W, Ice Climbers, WFT, a RH rep, and to an extent Jigglypuff and Wario instead of some big "fan favorites" like say Ridley, Krystal, or Mewtwo. The biggest lines this walks on for me is Snake and having 2 new DK reps. No roster is gonna please everyone, and just putting a RH rep in the blank spot would be enough to make this damn well good enough to hit most "demographics." Sorry if this came out salty, but if we can get 4x14, please let it look like this.
I disagree entirely with this, I think DK is the MOST LIKELY franchise to get two new reps at this point, and have two reps planned from the start. Lucina wasn't planned to be a new rep, but the DK franchise is hugely underrepresented based on its popularity and sales, combined with the fact that K. Rool and Dixie are too important to the franchise; I feel they both should be added at the same time and both would bring new things to the table, as well.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I really don't see more than three additional newcomers being possible at this point.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

I think there is always room for another Shulk.

Seriously though, great roster, I'd add Marshal/Chorus Kids.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman

I'm not sold on 4 Star Fox characters, and 3 Kirby characters. I've always believed that Kirby was Nintendo's fourth most popular franchise. (After Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon of course) If the top three franchises can get five or six representatives, and Fire Emblem can get four (I'm not hating on Fire Emblem, but, on an international stage, Fire Emblem, still isn't as popular as it is Japan, where it makes sense for them to have four), then I don't see why the Kirby franchise couldn't get four.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm expecting a few more newcomers, but overall less newcomers than Brawl had.

Even though I want MORE.
Let's see, Brawl had Meta Knight, Pit, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Diddy Kong, Lucas, King Dedede, Olimar, Lucario, R.O.B., Toon Link, Wolf, Solid Snake, and Sonic. That's as many as 18 Brawl newcomers.

Smash 4 currently has Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Little Mac, Greninja, Mii Fighter, Palutena, Pac-Man, Lucina, and Robin. We might see a maximum of 14 newcomers, if Sakurai truly is revealing them all before Smash 3DS's release.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Also if he's running out of videos, why couldnt he cram a bunch into one? Even if we had three videos with 2 characters each, tharts 6. Not saying thats what I' expecting, but I think the video argument is a dumb one.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I fixed it.
I'm so proud of you.

Anyway, a lot of people are saying that Chorus Men/Marshal/whatever is not likely likely now. I still think some form of them are likely due to Smash Run. And while I think there's reason to believe both sides (either for or against it), the Sneaky Spirit is a good nod in their favor. I would personally look forward to seeing them.

Burruni

Smash Hero
7/21/2014

This is my new Roster!! What do you think?
View attachment 18962
There are some BIG problems... let's not even argue about about what the roster size is or about any of the newcomers/unconfirmed vets.... Your layout doesn't synergize with any way that the series has gone before. All characters in a series has been adjacent to one another, whether it be horizontally (64, Melee) or vertically (Brawl), and you don't even remain consistent within the roster with your choice... that's a technical thing but it is somewhat irksome. However, looking past that, the E3 demo proves that Zelda and Sheik will be in separate slots, just like Samus and ZSS, and Greninja/Charizard/Sceptile (if he is in). The only characters that have been hinted to in any way to being in one slot are the Mii Fighters due to how they are limited in their usage (only local/online with friends).

D

Deleted member

Oddly enough, I can see this as a devastating Final Smash, where opponent will get hurt by the masses of camera flashes.

Hands down, best tag-team combination for a game.
Not just the camera flashes, but the pure radiant energy of manliness emulating from Wrestler himself. :awesome:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
if anything, i'd advise placing the icons in the order of the demo roster
The demo roster didn't have every character, so I couldn't possibly know how it's supposed to look with the added characters.

Because there's the very high possibility of secret newcomers who wouldn't be revealed before release. Also, the amount of videos means nothing for the amount of newcomers, as we've had multiple characters in a single video before.

You were polite about it, so I certainly don't blame you for not liking Snake. If you want him gone for stupid reasons however, then there would be an issue. I don't personally get the mindset of wanting characters solely to piss people off, nor the belief that popular characters are popular just to be popular, those characters are popular because a great deal of people genuinely want them, myself included. As far as two DK newcomers being too much, it's one of Nintendo's largest franchises and it more than deserves it, besides the fact that we have two Fire Emblem newcomers.

I'm not sold on 4 Star Fox characters, and 3 Kirby characters. I've always believed that Kirby was Nintendo's fourth most popular franchise. (After Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon of course) If the top three franchises can get five or six representatives, and Fire Emblem can get four (I'm not hating on Fire Emblem, but, on an international stage, Fire Emblem, still isn't as popular as it is Japan, where it makes sense for them to have four), then I don't see why the Kirby franchise couldn't get four.
There really isn't any need for a fourth Kirby character. Sure there are fans of Bandana Dee, but I personally don't see Headband Goomba as playable material, and I'm a fan of the Kirby franchise myself. I think franchises getting a certain amount of reps is BS, I judge on a character level, and Krystal is a character that fits well into Smash.

I'd say Isaac, personally. An RH rep is also possible, but I highly doubt both Krystal to be added and Snake coming back. If I were to pick that roster, I'd drop Krystal and Snake, add Isaac and Sami for sure. For the final slot, an RH rep or Black Shadow.
I'm not 100% sold on Takamaru, but its possible.
Krystal and Snake have nothing to do with each other, so that doesn't make any particular sense. I do think Isaac is a possibility, but I'm assuming that Little Mac is our only assist upgrade for the moment. Nothing else to say about the rest.

Though for the whole Rhythm Heaven thing, and this goes out to everyone that mentioned them, I believe I've made my opinion clear on the matter. I don't think the Chorus Men are a thing that will happen, and I'm not sold on any other possible rep.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Krystal and Snake have nothing to do with each other, so that doesn't make any particular sense. I do think Isaac is a possibility, but I'm assuming that Little Mac is our only assist upgrade for the moment. Nothing else to say about the rest
I didn't say they had anything to do with one another, I just don't think Star Fox is big enough at this point in time to get a new rep (I think Kirby will get a fourth rep before Star Fox), and Snake's lack of being revealed so far coupled with Kojima's statements makes me believe he's cut.

As for Isaac, I actually think at this point, we'd have known all the returning AT's if we weren't getting at least one more promotion, and Isaac is by far the second mostlikely AT to be promoted after Little Mac. Frankly, out of all the possible options, if that is the roster I think Isaac would get the last spot.

Though for the whole Rhythm Heaven thing, and this goes out to everyone that mentioned them, I believe I've made my opinion clear on the matter. I don't think the Chorus Men are a thing that will happen, and I'm not sold on any other possible rep.
I don't think Chorus Men will be playable at all. I do think a Rhythm Heaven rep is likely, but I'm starting to believe that if we had an RH rep we wouldn't have Sneaky Spirit shown off in the E3 demo, so my bets are on an RH stage only for right now.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Great Fairy for Smash!

B: Eye Poke (chargeable attack, can be stored)
Side B: Floating Swipe (like Captain Falcon's Raptor Dive but with sparkles instead of fire)
Up B: Laughing Spin (vertical spin, can deal damage as well)
Down B: Expose (can stun foes for a few seconds)

I'd dig this pretty deeply! Great Fairy for Smash!

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Because there's the very high possibility of secret newcomers who wouldn't be revealed before release. Also, the amount of videos means nothing for the amount of newcomers, as we've had multiple characters in a single video before.
There's only been one instance where two newcomers were revealed in one trailer and that was when both characters came from the same game and one of them was a clone.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I try to stay out of this as much as I can. So much so that I often try to break up this flamewar by bringing up my well insightful objective reasoning on who would join that battle and why. I change my views repeatedly when circumstances change. For example, I initially thought that we'd only get 44 playable characters, and that the gematsu characters would be in, and Ike, ROB, Lucas, Wolf, Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle were all out. Of course, once Ike was shown, I changed my stance and brought everybody back except the latter two. Once E3 passed, however, I started taking other possibilities like Ridley and Mewtwo seriously as returning veterans. Robin and Lucina making it in with Chrom's disconfirmation, however, made me reevaluate my views altogether and now I am convinced that there are hints both in the promotional material and outside of it, on who's going to be in.

For example, for the longest time, I was speculative on Shulk's chances and simply kept him on my list of newcomers since he seems to be arguably the most highly requested character to join the battle. Once Monolith Soft retweeted the news, I knew that Shulk was in fact a playable character in this game--even when it turned out our newcomers were Robin and Lucina. Ridley is the only character that I'd give the guarantee to being playable, however, given how he is teased a ton (though if anything, we probably won't know for sure until the game comes out since it is likely that he'd be a secret character). I am also fairly certain on Dark Pit as well, and it's a safe bet that, at the very least, King K. Rool will be in the game, but I am not as sure of his chances at being a playable character.

However, some hints are not quite as cut-and-dry. For example, the Fi trophy only hints at a Skyward Sword rep, but deductive reasoning points towards Impa, Ghirahim, Demise, and Groose as the only major characters left in that game with a shot at being playable. The Sneaky Spirits only hint towards a Rhythm Heaven character in general; if you want to apply the games where they appeared, you might narrow your list down a bit, but just about anyone has as much of a shot as the Chorus Kids. The difference, however, is that one can apply deductive reasoning to narrow down the Skyward Sword rep even further, and one can deduce Ghirahim--or be wrong and just as likely get Impa. With the Sneaky Spirits, the only near-certainty is a playable Rhythm Heaven character.

Mewtwo is another story, but given the finalization of the roster began around the time that Sakurai said that he "...was thinking about..." adding him back into the roster, he seems like a safe bet, but hardly a guarantee.

That just leaves my odd prediction of an 8-Bit Mario as a playable character. I was contemplating who character 55 could be should we get that many, and I was contemplating a retro newcomer. What I wasn't paying a great deal of attention to was with the patterns with the joke characters in Melee and Brawl--specifically Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. respectively. What do they have in common? They are retro; they are unexpected; they are unlockable; and they are directly tied into important chapters in Nintendo--and by extension, video game--history. 8-Bit Mario fills all these roles arguably better than R.O.B. or Mr. Game & Watch. What's more, I discovered the possibility and toyed with the notion that Sakurai would even do such a thing, and over time came to enjoy it. It's not much in the way of teases, hints, evidence--take your pick--but in the amiibo segment of the Digital Event featuring the Treehouse people, all the bubbles had a character that was either confirmed, disconfirmed, or will be confirmed at a later date--including Lucina and Mr. Game & Watch. What was interesting was that Mario popped up twice--one in his 3D model, the model that we see in Smash Brothers, and another based on his appearance in Super Mario Bros. on NES.

All that was what got me to think that we'd get 8-Bit Mario as a playable character, alongside King K. Rool, Chorus Kids, Ghirahim, Ridley, Dark Pit, Mewtwo, and Shulk. There may be more outside of these eight--or even instead of these eight--but I wouldn't put it passed me to suspect that Sakurai may be acting rather coy with all eight of them. I do not know what to think of characters like Dixie Kong or Bandana Dee or even Isaac--even though I find the latter to be highly unlikely. But for all I know, somebody else completely unexpected (from my own perspective) could join the fight.

As far as returning veterans go, I am just assuming that Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are the only sure cuts. Lucas is a maybe, and R.O.B. and Wolf aren't totally safe yet--but for the time being, there's no reason to assume that either of these three are going to be gone.

Now the real question is, who do I want in the game? Well, I'd take just about anybody so long as they aren't Ganondorf-levels of bad like he was in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Other than that, I am just waiting for Meta Knight and Falco to return, and I'll be a happy camper.

Still, I'd much rather take Hades over Dark Pit. But I won't complain if I like what I see.

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
Double Post Warning Received
Fawful for Smash Bros please!

I really hope the Chorus Boys are confirmed soon! I'd love to play as them!

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperBrawler

Smash Master

Where did you get that Falco? Also wondering how you made that roster in the first place. Looks nicer than mine because I used the Roster Maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom