• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Skull Kid and Vaati are not one off villains.
I think a better way to group them together would be "not Ganondorf."

Skull Kid was only a villain once though, so he is a one-off villain, though he has appeared in other roles.

I just don't see Vaati since he was made by Capcom, seems more like Nintendo would rather sweep him under a rug.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
If snake was in he'd probably would of been announced by now along with sonic.
What's the logic behind this notion? Why would Snake need to be revealed at any time other than whenever Sakurai feels the need to reveal him? I mean, Sakurai revealed Charizard & Greninja during a Smash Bros. Direct and Lucario at a random time, rather than having any of them coincide with the release of X&Y. If Snake is in the game, Sakurai will reveal him whenever he feels the time is right. There is no precedence for timing.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think a better way to group them together would be "not Ganondorf."
Skull Kid was only a villain once though, so he is a one-off villain, though he has appeared in other roles.
I just don't see Vaati since he was made by Capcom, seems more like Nintendo would rather sweep him under a rug.
You forgot to mention that Skull Kid got as far as an Assist Trophy, and his game is over ten years old.
Meanwhile, a character who's just as popular for Smash as him got a game merely three years ago, among many other things from his game...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You forgot to mention that Skull Kid got as far as an Assist Trophy, and his game is over ten years old.
Meanwhile, a character who's just as popular for Smash as him got a game merely three years ago, among many other things from his game...
Assist Trophy =/= playable, it's the perfect role for him really. Though I can't fathom why he doesn't make the moon drop.

Are you insinuating that the Skyloft stage means anything towards Ghirahim? I don't think a stage that has nothing to do with him in his own game would have anything to do with him in Smash, that's like saying we should have got Zant with the Bridge of Eldin.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Assist Trophy =/= playable, it's the perfect role for him really. Though I can't fathom why he doesn't make the moon drop.

Are you insinuating that the Skyloft stage means anything towards Ghirahim? I don't think a stage that has nothing to do with him in his own game would have anything to do with him in Smash, that's like saying we should have got Zant with the Bridge of Eldin.
First off, don't compare Ghirahim to Zant. If anything, he's comparable to Midna, who also got an Assist Trophy (and two trophies in Brawl).

Second, I wasn't talking about just the stage. There is a myriad of Skyward Sword content, including the Skyloft stage, trophies, TWO items, and, most interestingly, Ghirahim's theme is remixed into the Skyloft theme music. The main remix of BotG that plays on the stage has his theme in it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think any one-off villains will ever be playable, that includes Ghirahim, Vaati, and the deconfirmed Skull Kid.
No need to hate on the Happy Mask Salesman, he's only the greatest Zelda character ever. :troll:

I'd think I'm more correct with the Salesman, but that's just an opinion. :troll:
I mentioned Vaati because he's not a one-off villain, he's the main antagonist of three games in the series. Yes, in one of them Ganondorf usurped Vaati, but Vaati is still the main antagonist most of the game. :p Either way, I don't think he's likely at all, but I do think he's more likely than Ghirahim.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
First off, don't compare Ghirahim to Zant. If anything, he's comparable to Midna, who also got an Assist Trophy (and two trophies in Brawl).

Second, I wasn't talking about just the stage. There is a myriad of Skyward Sword content, including the Skyloft stage, trophies, TWO items, and, most interestingly, Ghirahim's theme is remixed into the Skyloft theme music. The main remix of BotG that plays on the stage has his theme in it.
Err, Ghirahim is completely comparable to Zant, and not comparable at all to Midna. Midna wasn't a villain, she's the Fi of TP.

We got loads of TP content in Brawl, and we got MM content in Melee. We always get content from the newest games for multiple series, but that doesn't mean anything for newcomers. We got a Jungle Beat stage in Brawl with K. Rool's theme on it, for instance.
I mentioned Vaati because he's not a one-off villain, he's the main antagonist of three games in the series. Yes, in one of them Ganondorf usurped Vaati, but Vaati is still the main antagonist most of the game. :p Either way, I don't think he's likely at all, but I do think he's more likely than Ghirahim.
I just don't think that any of the games that Vaati appeared in are really notable when compared to the bigger games.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
We just got a new Starfox stage revealed. Maybe we'll finally get another Starfox character revealed soon.
I don't think it means anything. If we get a Villains Trailer it does make it more likely for a Wolf reveal, though.

Glad we FINALLY got another stage from an established franchise, though. Now just waiting on DK. Also interesting, they DIDN'T bring in a stage from 64 3D, instead its from Assault. I don't think Assault ever got a stage before.

Oh, calling it, Command is going to get a stage on 3DS.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Err, Ghirahim is completely comparable to Zant, and not comparable at all to Midna. Midna wasn't a villain, she's the Fi of TP.
That's not what I meant. I meant that both are fan-favorite characters that had a huge role in their respective games.
We got loads of TP content in Brawl, and we got MM content in Melee. We always get content from the newest games for multiple series, but that doesn't mean anything for newcomers. We got a Jungle Beat stage in Brawl with K. Rool's theme on it, for instance.
Not true.

Majora's Mask technically got Young Link to represent it, whereas Wind Waker got Toon Link in Brawl.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
We just got a new Starfox stage revealed. Maybe we'll finally get another Starfox character revealed soon.
DAT AIN'T FALCO-

Also the obligatory STAIRFAX WII U CONFIRMED! Not that we didn't already know that...

Though indeed, finally. We've got the content, now the characters! Hopefully this bodes well for Krystal. :troll:

That's not what I meant. I meant that both are fan-favorite characters that had a huge role in their respective games.

Not true.

Majora's Mask technically got Young Link to represent it, whereas Wind Waker got Toon Link in Brawl.
I meant in regards to stages and items, Melee had a stage from Majora's Mask and Brawl had a WW and TP stage, it makes sense to see Skyloft in this game.

And comparing Ghirahim to Midna is a little... off. They're popular for completely different roles and reasons. And I doubt he's anywhere near as popular as Midna.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Glad we FINALLY got another stage from an established franchise, though. Now just waiting on DK. Also interesting, they DIDN'T bring in a stage from 64 3D, instead its from Assault. I don't think Assault ever got a stage before.
Actually it did get a stage in Brawl, the Lylat Cruise.

The events in the stage are mostly based off of Assault (And other games) whereas the ship (so far) hasn't appeared in any Star Fox game to date

First part of the Cruise

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I meant in regards to stages and items, Melee had a stage from Majora's Mask and Brawl had a WW and TP stage, it makes sense to see Skyloft in this game.

And comparing Ghirahim to Midna is a little... off. They're popular for completely different roles and reasons. And I doubt he's anywhere near as popular as Midna.
It doesn't matter. The point is, they're both fan-favorite characters.
Ghirahim has recency on his side, and, additionally, he hasn't been disconfirmed yet, yet a lot of characters competing with him with similar positions in the series have...
...Just saying...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think it means anything. If we get a Villains Trailer it does make it more likely for a Wolf reveal, though.

Oh, calling it, Command is going to get a stage on 3DS.
Remember though, most Wii U stages are home console game specific whereas most 3DS stages are hand held game based. (for the most part at least)

I wonder if we will see Falco or Wolf soon then, probably not before the release of the 3DS version but still......

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually it did get a stage in Brawl, the Lylat Cruise.

The events in the stage are mostly based off of Assault (And other games) whereas the ship (so far) hasn't appeared in any Star Fox game to date

First part of the Cruise
I was under the impression it was a generic stage based on Star Fox in general. Its not specifically from Assault at all.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Remember though, most Wii U stages are home console game specific whereas most 3DS stages are hand held game based. (for the most part at least)
Gross, that means it's possible we get a Command stage. I hope they go with 64 3D instead.

I wonder if we will see Falco or Wolf soon then, probably not before the release of the 3DS version but still......
I wouldn't be surprised if we got one of them before release. I'd guess Falco.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It doesn't matter. The point is, they're both fan-favorite characters.
Ghirahim has recency on his side, and, additionally, he hasn't been disconfirmed yet, yet a lot of characters competing with him with similar positions in the series have...
...Just saying...
Happy Mask Salesman has unique moveset potential on his side, and he hasn't been deconfirmed yet.
...Just :troll: ing...

He isn't really that recent anymore, as the game is quite old at this point. He'll eventually fade away like most characters do.

Enough Zelda though, how 'bout dat StairFax? Still no word on Falco or Wolf, and Krystal is still in the running as well.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Ok, the whole, "my franchise doesn't deserve this many characters," is a load. I don't give a Beaver-Constructed Wall if a series has less than another. If a franchise has the potential to include a unique character, then by all means, let it happen!

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
Ok, the whole, "my franchise doesn't deserve this many characters," is a load. I don't give a Beaver-Constructed Wall if a series has less than another. If a franchise has the potential to include a unique character, then by all means, let it happen!
*Applauded Woo Smart man smart man

Happy Mask Salesman has unique moveset potential on his side, and he hasn't been deconfirmed yet.

He isn't really that recent anymore, as the game is quite old at this point. He'll eventually fade away like most characters do.

Enough Zelda though, how 'bout dat StairFax? Still no word on Falco or Wolf, and Krystal is still in the running as well.
Hoping for a star fox reveal trailer. If they do have one then announcing 2 vets and 1 newcomer
Vets= Wolf,Falco
Newcomer= Krystal

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
THEY REFERENCED ASSAULT. THEY REFERENCED ASSAULT. JAMES. THEY REALLY DID IT. I'M GETTING INCREDIBLY HYPER NOW.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Recent enough to be promoted constantly by Nintendo in Smash and other games.

Backwards compatibility is a thing, you know.
Err, if you mean Hyrule Warriors, Agitha is a playable character in that, so I hardly think Ghirahim appearing is "promotion."

What on earth does backwards compatibility have to do with anything?
THEY REFERENCED ASSAULT. THEY REFERENCED ASSAULT. JAMES. THEY REALLY DID IT. I'M GETTING INCREDIBLY HYPER NOW.
Namco could possibly have influenced Sakurai into choosing Krystal, we just have to wait and see. :troll:

Though at this point, I'm thinking a Star Fox trailer is looking just as likely as a Villains trailer. Here's hoping.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

See, here's the thing. The fact that Falco and Wolf HAVEN'T been announced yet is what hurts Krystal. Maybe they decided that Wolf was more important, they declone him further, and don't worry about Krystal.

I know Krystal has potential, and I wouldn't mind her at all. I just don't think she's all that likely right now.

Though at this point, I'm thinking a Star Fox trailer is looking just as likely as a Villains trailer. Here's hoping.
Doubt it. Wolf would probably appear in the Villains Trailer and Falco announced on the website, or post-release. I think a DK or RPG trailer is more likely.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
See, here's the thing. The fact that Falco and Wolf HAVEN'T been announced yet is what hurts Krystal. Maybe they decided that Wolf was more important, they declone him further, and don't worry about Krystal.

I know Krystal has potential, and I wouldn't mind her at all. I just don't think she's all that likely right now.

Doubt it. Wolf would probably appear in the Villains Trailer and Falco announced on the website, or post-release. I think a DK or RPG trailer is more likely.
The lack of Falco and Wolf is what makes Krystal seem more likely, actually. All the more reason for both them and Krystal to be revealed in a Star Fox trailer. Wolf wouldn't be in the villain trailer either, as he isn't one, my bets are on K. Rool/Ridley/Ganondorf.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Err, if you mean Hyrule Warriors, Agitha is a playable character in that, so I hardly think Ghirahim appearing is "promotion."
I was referring to Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros, and anywhere else that Zelda is promoted. It's almost always Skyward Sword.

Also, backwards compatibility means Nintendo can still promote and sell copies of Skyward Sword, which means that promoting the game is not a bad idea.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

Namco could possibly have influenced Sakurai into choosing Krystal, we just have to wait and see. :troll:

I'm just having an incredible fear that it may have been a deconfirmation. I'm praying that it's not.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think people are reading too much into this. Everyone started thinking that Fire Emblem was going to get major announcements at E3, and nothing happened. It was an entire month before anything FE-related came up.

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman

Objection! His lack of announcements for this could have other reasoning behind it as well.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I was referring to Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros, and anywhere else that Zelda is promoted. It's almost always Skyward Sword.

Also, backwards compatibility means Nintendo can still promote and sell copies of Skyward Sword, which means that promoting the game is not a bad idea.
Again, Smash always has content from the latest games, so that means nothing. And Hyrule Warriors has content from across the Zelda franchise, so that also means nothing. Nintendo may be selling SS, but it's still an old game, so the recency argument is null.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Again, Smash always has content from the latest games, so that means nothing. And Hyrule Warriors has content from across the Zelda franchise, so that also means nothing. Nintendo may be selling SS, but it's still an old game, so the recency argument is null.
You're missing the point entirely, I give up.

Well, I never give up, but I don't see the point in continuing this.
Let's just except the fact no one will ever agree on Zelda.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guess the Zelda franchise will become the new Fire Emblem debate, eh?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

I understand entirely, the Happy Mask Salesman is the obvious choice for Smash because the Moon appears in Hyrule Warriors and Skull Kid is an assist trophy, it's obviously pointing towards him. :troll:

This is why I attempted to change the subject, though I guess Krystal will just generate hate.

So about that villain trailer...

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I know the potd looks like the picture you'd see in the stage select screen, and that if anything, the two Arwings are probably going to be stage hazards, but considering that there's nobody fighting on top of the Great Fox, does anybody think this might be hinting at Falco's return?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Of course.

And we all know who won that debate.

(Note: It was me.) :troll:
I was actively against Chrom at one point, and I highly preferred Robin over any other FE character.

Robin was the character who was actually planned from the start, while Lucina just kind of happened.

Doesn't that make me the winner? :troll:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I was actively against Chrom at one point, and I highly preferred Robin over any other FE character.

Robin was the character who was actually planned from the start, while Lucina just kind of happened.

Doesn't that make me the winner? :troll:
No.

Everyone wins because Robin is clearly the best representative of Awakening.
I wanted both Robin and Lucina for different reasons because I argued both had more merit than Chrom.
I didn't' expect both, honestly, but neither did Sakurai, so there's that.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
No.

Everyone wins because Robin is clearly the best representative of Awakening.
I wanted both Robin and Lucina for different reasons because I argued both had more merit than Chrom.
I didn't' expect both, honestly, but neither did Sakurai, so there's that.
Really confrontational are we? Aren't you happy enough with Lucina? :troll:

I think we can agree that we both won, and Gematsu lost, however.

Though, on a scale of 10 - Jesus, if the Happy Mask Salesman actually became playable, would I be the new Sal Romano? :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom