• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I assume you're referring to Krystal being playable, right? I'm not going to say that she's not or anything, but considering the stage is based on Star Fox Assault, wouldn't that mean Peppy retired? The two arwings are probably Slippy and Krystal, while Fox and Falco are missing.
That would be the conjecture.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, its kinda hilarious how people are jumping to conclusions about Krystal, even though if this is based on Assault, its just as likely to suggest that Peppy retired (which he did in Adventures) and the second Arwing is Krystal. Granted, it definitely shows that Krystal likely isn't forgotten like some stupid detractors have brought up, but it doesn't hint at Krystal being playable at all.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yeah, I don't think it really says anything about Krystal one way or another, but my first thought upon seeing it is that she is probably in one of those Arwings. (Which would make me lean towards not playable baring an Alfonzo situation.)

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
on the topic of series getting mlore reps i do think kirby will get 4 with bandana dee. starfox is a maybe.i really do think kirby will get 4 before starfox though

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
on the topic of series getting mlore reps i do think kirby will get 4 with bandana dee. starfox is a maybe.i really do think kirby will get 4 before starfox though
I think Kirby and Star Fox are neck-and-neck for a fourth rep... but DK will get a fourth rep before either of them do.

domokl

Smash Lord
I think Kirby and Star Fox are neck-and-neck for a fourth rep... but DK will get a fourth rep before either of them do.
i find it that kirby might a fourth rep because of sakurais bias. it is because of his bias that dk was pushed out of his rightful spot in the trailer four of mario link and pikachu then replaced by kirby. dk probably would have had 4 in brawl if he hadnt been overshadowed by sakurais bias for kirby

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If we have an obscenely large roster and Donkey Kong balloons up to four reps, Kirby is definitely next up in line. Kirby is an active and popular franchise that has sold more then 3 times the amount of software that Star Fox has. Hell, the games sell better then Metroid, too.... and kids actually know the characters from merchandise and cartoons.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why limit yourselves to "reps"? Why not just discuss the characters themselves instead of what they would imply to relation to other series in the game?

For example, I think Krystal is a fairly plausible Smash candidate. She's popular, visually distinct, and has the potential to be a stand-out newcomer due to her magic staff.
Having her plus veterans would mean Starfox gets four characters whereas more deserving series get less, but that wouldn't matter much if those character all had something to add to the game.

Just my two cents, though.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Why limit yourselves to "reps"? Why not just discuss the characters themselves instead of what they would imply to relation to other series in the game?

For example, I think Krystal is a fairly plausible Smash candidate. She's popular, visually distinct, and has the potential to be a stand-out newcomer due to her magic staff.
Having her plus veterans would mean Starfox gets four characters whereas more deserving series get less, but that wouldn't matter much if those character all had something to add to the game.

Just my two cents, though.
That sort of thinking only goes so far.... that's how we get into the Kid Icarus conundrum. Sakurai bias aside, people will argue that the series doesn't deserve multiple reps, but it is literally filled with visually distinct characters with unique personalities and ridiculous move set potential.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I don't think our Pic of the Day confirms Krystal. I also don't think it deconfirms her either. Every Star Fox stage has had multiple Arwings flying with the Great Fox despite having certain pilots being playable. Hell, even if Falco was on Lylat cruise with Fox, he would still show up on Codec. I think this is a good sign for her as a character since they referenced Assault a bit more and are approaching Star Fox's more recent games instead of 64.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Krystal is not that unique, has a lot of people who don't like her, and is from a declining series :rolleyes:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
i find it that kirby might a fourth rep because of sakurais bias. it is because of his bias that dk was pushed out of his rightful spot in the trailer four of mario link and pikachu then replaced by kirby. dk probably would have had 4 in brawl if he hadnt been overshadowed by sakurais bias for kirby
Sakurai bias is overrated. Yes once the characters were included he gave them a disproportionate amount of attention, but we can't forget that he didn't even include any of his characters past Kirby until they were among the most popular and demanded, with him passing over MK in Melee in favour of characters he didn't make, and having had Dedede planned yet scrapped twice before.

Plus if anything it seems like his bias is focused on KI this time, not Kirby. It was the only series initially revealed that wasn't part of the original eight. Look how many items KI has already received, as well as enemies present from that series. And it looks like its getting at least two ATs.

Not to mention... when the Brawl trailer was released the DK really wasn't doing all that great, that series didn't really get rejuvenated until DKCR. This time the first instance of gameplay showed Mario, Link, Pikachu, and DK...

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
declinig series? It literally just got revived this e3.
I guess I missed that, retracted I guess, what did they do exactly, I haven't seen anything personally, I'm curious.

Your first argument is somewhat subjective, your second could be applied to literally any character, and the last one completely irrelevant to anything.
Staff wielder is not unique, it can't be made unique because it's a basic blunt weapon. She could as best be a snake knockoff which would be almost unique if Snake isn't in the game anymore. And the Krystal hate is far more vehement than pretty much any other character I've ever seen except, and I've been wtahcing these kinds of threads since pre-brawl. No one gets this much hate.

domokl

Smash Lord
I guess I missed that, retracted I guess, what did they do exactly, I haven't seen anything personally, I'm curious.

Staff wielder is not unique, it can't be made unique because it's a basic blunt weapon. She could as best be a snake knockoff which would be almost unique if Snake isn't in the game anymore. And the Krystal hate is far more vehement than pretty much any other character I've ever seen except, and I've been wtahcing these kinds of threads since pre-brawl. No one gets this much hate.
they annouced starfox wii u at e3 this year.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
they annouced starfox wii u at e3 this year.
Huh, I need to step my game up, I used to be so on top of this stuff, getting older blows. Anyway, I'll take back the third point I made. Also, did they announce if Krystal in the WIIU version?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Staff wielder is not unique, it can't be made unique because it's a basic blunt weapon. She could as best be a snake knockoff which would be almost unique if Snake isn't in the game anymore.
How does a weapon being a "basic blunt weapon" make it doomed to be repetitive. No one else wields a staff in Smash Bros. exclusively. Well, Palutena, but her's is more of a fantasy magic staff, whereas Krystal's is designed for actual combat.

And the Krystal hate is far more vehement than pretty much any other character I've ever seen except, and I've been wtahcing these kinds of threads since pre-brawl. No one gets this much hate.
That is probably only applicable to Smashboards, and frankly, it comes with the territory. Krystal is one of the most requested characters for Smash, and has been since Brawl, it's naturally that a character with such large demand will receive backlash.

domokl

Smash Lord
Huh, I need to step my game up, I used to be so on top of this stuff, getting older blows. Anyway, I'll take back the third point I made. Also, did they announce if Krystal in the WIIU version?
we dont know yet all they could show off was a tecxh demo.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
How does a weapon being a "basic blunt weapon" make it doomed to be repetitive. No one else wields a staff in Smash Bros. exclusively. Well, Palutena, but her's is more of a fantasy magic staff, whereas Krystal's is designed for actual combat.

That is probably only applicable to Smashboards, and frankly, it comes with the territory. Krystal is one of the most requested characters for Smash, and has been since Brawl, it's naturally that a character with such large demand will receive backlash.
I believe the way weapons work in smash bros (no real cutting/slashing/breaking) she would be another sword user with an aethstetically different sword (in this case a staff). I persoanlly don't see anyway to make that any more exciting than Ike, Marth, Link, Robin, or Lucina's current repitorie, they have the melee weapon range covered very well. If you give her assault weapons, I can see her maybe being more unique, but then I think she'd just be a female snake.

and on the second point, guys like K.Rool don't get backlash so much as people just don't think he'll get in, Ridley is the only other one I see people complain about and that's because of his technicalities, most people don't seem to hate his character, guys like Issac or Roy have very little resistance. Krystal seems to be the only popular character who recieves backlash based on her merit AND character itself. Usually it's one or the other.

I was also active on Gamefaqs and gamestop back in my heyday, people there hate her too. More than here back then actually.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
It's refreshing to see some discussion about the Star Fox franchise. Despite there being two Arwings that could be representing Slippy and Krystal, which by the way was an interesting thought; I would have never thought about that myself, I think that it may point towards Krystal's inclusion more so than not. If they want to add another Star Fox representative, Krystal is probably next in line due to, in my opinion, being the next best choice to represent the franchise. The stage itself also seemingly representing Assault, which Krystal played a pretty big part in. At the same time, it could also mean nothing for Krystal, and we're just getting an awesome looking Star Fox stage while Falco and Wolf continue to represent Star Fox by themselves. I think it could go either way.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I believe the way weapons work in smash bros (no real cutting/slashing/breaking) she would be another sword user with an aethstetically different sword (in this case a staff). I persoanlly don't see anyway to make that any more exciting than Ike, Marth, Link, Robin, or Lucina's current repitorie, they have the melee weapon range covered very well. If you give her assault weapons, I can see her maybe being more unique, but then I think she'd just be a female snake.
She could use it like a twinblade. No one else does that.

and on the second point, guys like K.Rool don't get backlash so much as people just don't think he'll get in, Ridley is the only other one I see people complain about and that's because of his technicalities, most people don't seem to hate his character, guys like Issac or Roy have very little resistance. Krystal seems to be the only popular character who recieves backlash based on her merit AND character itself. Usually it's one or the other.
I was also active on Gamefaqs and gamestop back in my heyday, people there hate her too. More than here back then actually.
Regardless there is a lot of demand for her too. Granted, there was for Chrom too, and I'm not saying she's fairly likely, I'm just saying she's a possibility based on what could do.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
She could use it like a twinblade. No one else does that.

Regardless there is a lot of demand for her too. Granted, there was for Chrom too, and I'm not saying she's fairly likely, I'm just saying she's a possibility based on what could do.
Pit puts his together and uses them like a twinblade, if I understand what you mean by a twinblade.

And I just think if Sakurai is taking what people want into consideration (which we have no idea if he even cares at all), putting in a character who has perhaps the largest hatebase of all realistic newcomers, when there are other slightly less popular characters with much smaller hatebases available, I don't see anyone logically choosing the former.

Bloop

Smash Journeyman
Even if Sakurai bias was a legitimate argument, Sakurai was gone from Hal long before Super Star Ultra which, and if I'm wrong someone please correct me, was Bandana Dee's first non-throw away/joke appearance.
So while /technically/ Sakurai created a bandana wearing Waddle Dee, the current iteration of Bandana Dee is more or less a post Sakurai creation.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's what I thought, Doesn't pit use his double swords in a lot of moves similar to that style? I'm thinking of his Fsmash, Side B (vbrawl), Usmash, maybe his Dsmash too?
No, he does not do that.

He uses his Bow, then separates it into two knives, but never uses them as a sword together (at least, not like I'm picturing)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Prince Fluff is best fourth Kirby rep anyway,

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I put this in the social thread, but since it pertains to characters I'll post it here too:

I know already people will laugh at this but:

Last night, in my dream we were playing Smash. I have no idea what version it was, but I was playing on a stage I had never seen before as Ganondorf. I rolled, and a glitch happened. There was an Easter egg for the stage that allowed Falco to roll inside of it and for some reason it allowed that to happen (maybe this meant Ganondorf will still be a clone like Falco?). Why? Because it was a Starfox stage. One that looks oddly like the one announced this morning. On the stage there was a symbol for Falco to go in the ship, and a symbol for Krystal. Haha, maybe Krystal gets in now? Probably not.

I found that kind of funny that this happened.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Have a roster!

Layout's a little weird, but I'm purposefully showing off a few icons that I made in the form of Mii Fighters and the large Random Slots.

Yes, it's a little on the large side, but I have a reasoning for all of the characters listed here.
[collapse=Explanations]King K. Rool has his Kremlings in the game and is one of the most popular characters around.

Takamaru is in because Sakurai has explicitly stated that he's going to do his best to bring back old characters like he did with Pit in Brawl. If he's been adding filler clones, I imagine that he's succeeded.

Dark Pit is a Lucina-esque clone. I'll post a quote from a conversation that I had before to explain.
In the case of Pit and Dark Pit, it's actually fairly easy to make a clone like Fox and Falco.

They are similar in appearance. But that's easily fixable.

Those are Pit's recolors in Brawl.

For Dark Pit's recolors, give him silver/gray instead of gold, blood red instead of pink, lime instead of forest green, and dark blue or indigo instead of light blue.

Also, it's easy to keep the color of his wings black with a hint of another color and make all of Pit's wings white with a hint of another color. Along with that, concept art shows that Dark Pit's wings are actually slightly different:

They're slimmer and that could be implemented in Smash.

Then, give him different kinds of weapons than Pit.

^This^ is Pit's arsenal.

These are the weapons that Dark Pit has canonically used.

Of those, these can be used to replace Pit's moves:

And we can change his down special entirely or have him use a power like Reflect Barrier, Bumblebee, Brief Invincibility, Energy Charge, Libra Sponge, or more that could all have similar effects and be cloned from Pit's down b.

Dark Pit also has the power to fly after he absorbs the power of Pandora. Because of this, it's entirely plausible that Dark Pit could use Pit's old Up B and glide. And be a more aerial-based clone of Pit, since Pit's now much more ground based.

That also gives a reason for including him. In Uprising, you go between land battles and air battles. Right now, Pit seems to represent the land battles far more. Dark Pit can be the opposite.
Ridley is controversial, but the Ridley thread's posts have convinced me that he's more likely than not.

Jigglypuff is a 64 vet and Mewtwo is a veteran/newcomer hybrid that would be easy to make while still being one of the most requested characters. I don't think six Pokemon is a stretch.

Chorus Kids are in because I do think the Gematsu leak had a lot of information, and since we have a Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run. However, I could see Karate Joe getting in instead easily.

Shulk is a surprisingly popular character from a new, critically acclaimed Nintendo franchise. He is not a generic anime swordsman (you'd know if you've even bothered to look at a single video of gameplay on youtube), and Sakurai seems to be a fan of his series.
[/collapse]
Feel free to tear me apart. I'm in the mood for a (friendly) debate.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Have a roster!

Layout's a little weird, but I'm purposefully showing off a few icons that I made in the form of Mii Fighters and the large Random Slots.

Yes, it's a little on the large side, but I have a reasoning for all of the characters listed here.

[collapse=Explanations]King K. Rool has his Kremlings in the game and is one of the most popular characters around.

Takamaru is in because Sakurai has explicitly stated that he's going to do his best to bring back old characters like he did with Pit in Brawl. If he's been adding filler clones, I imagine that he's succeeded.

Dark Pit is a Lucina-esque clone. I'll post a quote from a conversation that I had before to explain.

Ridley is controversial, but the Ridley thread's posts have convinced me that he's more likely than not.

Jigglypuff is a 64 vet and Mewtwo is a veteran/newcomer hybrid that would be easy to make while still being one of the most requested characters. I don't think six Pokemon is a stretch.

Chorus Kids are in because I do think the Gematsu leak had a lot of information, and since we have a Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run. However, I could see Karate Joe getting in instead easily.

Shulk is a surprisingly popular character from a new, critically acclaimed Nintendo franchise. He is not a generic anime swordsman (you'd know if you've even bothered to look at a single video of gameplay on youtube), and Sakurai seems to be a fan of his series.
[/collapse]

Feel free to tear me apart. I'm in the mood to debate.
If we got this this roster, I would have had 9 out of my top 10 most wanted characters make it (sorry Isaac.)

Seems fairly plausible too.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hey, somehow I have never posted in this thread FIRST POST!!

I'm still editing my roster.
Somewhere a cross between what I see happening and what I want happening. Closer to what I see happening, actually. The Layout is not where I want it (with this many chracters, it would not be a brick, just would not), and I have the ones I see as DLC in the bottom right, and do not think it is possible to get the antagonists together.
May end up being one row shorter. But Here it is :)

Last edited:

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Have a roster!

[/collapse]
Feel free to tear me apart. I'm in the mood for a (friendly) debate.
Just add some more out-there characters. Dark Pit is cool though. Just think the roster is a little boring. It's a good roster though.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Honestly, if I look at a roster and it at least has Shulk, Ridley, and both Mother reps, it's going to get a like from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom