• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Well, he is wrong, obviously.
Why is this relevant.
Because something like that clearly wouldn't be outdated. Are you saying that he just made it up despite the past info being legit?

He didn't say that. He was likely guessing.
Except he did.
Sal Romano said:
As I'm sure most of ya know, the leaker e-mailed me last night teasing Shulk.

He also e-mailed me again this morning saying Nintendo keeps a lot secret from Bandai Namco, and that Sakurai may change his mind as he does all the time, but that Shulk was 100%.

A quote: "I only know what has been done, not what or when they will be made available. Sakurai may change his mind, and he does all the time. Shulk will not be changed."

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Finally, a newcomer I'm genuinely excited about. (Robin). While I'm not crazy about Lucina, (another FE sword user, so yawn..) I'm excited about Robin being able to use tomes, I really hope it makes for an interesting game mechanic.

Mabataki

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-4743-1372

54 characters total. 4 cuts (Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucas)

Bowser Jr: Has soooo much potential! Adds a lightweight villain for variety, too!
Paper Mario: Represents his own series - so much potential for a largely ignored sub-series.
Dixie/K. Rool: Kirby got 2 newcomers in Brawl, it's DK's turn :)
Ridley: That shadow in the April direct still seems so conspicuous - especially because it's almost August and it still hasn't been cleared up
Mewtwo: 6 Pokemon reps seems perfect. No reason to drop Jiggs.
Shulk/RH Rep (Chorus Kids for placement): My personal hopes. Spooky Spirit is in Smash Run, so hopefully that means something.
Almost perfect. i changed a few things though
roster2.png

Rayman has a chance now
we now have a completely Marth clone and Lucas is barely a semi-clone so if Lucas gets cut at this point it would be a crime
For the Miis, they need put the option in the corner of the UI rather than a part of the roster. it would look better

Cpt.

Smash Lord
What is going on? God Damnit! I go to work for a month and this happens????? Hello????

Well this is awesome news at least!

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
"Oh hey, now that Gematsu is a fraud, the quality of speculation will surely improve now!"

****ing. Bull. Crap.
Anyone who thinks it'll improve is kidding themselves.

It does open up a lot more hope, though. There's a difference between doubt in a character and the quality of the reasoning used to justify them.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
And for the record, I really hopes this could mean the chorus kids are just an AT or something, so many more deserving characters out there..

Hong

The Strongest
Give it a day. People are going to feel a little high. No, literally. Excitement to extreme amounts can have a bodily chemical reaction that will make you a little high and impair your judgment.

All that I am looking out for, at the end of the day, is a Mother character. I don't care who it is. Just hand them over.

HVDooD

Smash Cadet
Still don't get why Lucina and Falco are so cloney, it's not like they diddn't have other options....
Like Namco the team behind Soul Calibur, so many unique sword styles they could've made Lucina like Raphael/Amy
for all i care but no Sakurai got lazy and decide to maker her a semi-clone of Marth.
Same with Falco all these assault weapons he had with the assault riffle and home launcher, he can be the zoner
of the Star Fox crew but no same old Fox clone with 64 blaster and landmaster when he prefers the air...Really?!
Ganondorf is the biggest offender, he looks like a fat *** version of Captain Falcon. Ganondorf the great king of evil
a clone and he doesn't even throw his magic balls like in Oot what a waste.
Best part is i don't blame these characters i blame Sakurai, he looks meh about making Smash games
since Brawl and i think a change of Director is needed rather than characters!
I'm prepared to take all the hatred in the world for this but Sakurai looks uninspired to me lately, like he doesn't care.
He tries to screw over the competitive Smash players in Brawl by adding tripping but he kills the whole game by doing
so and now he takes out L-cancelling and the games speed and movement feels off...
Nothing wrong with showing your game off at EVO to create hype and more people getting into it.
But for Sakurai that seems to be a problem.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I'm soooo pumped about Lucina being in the game. In fact, if the main reason we got her is because her moveset is close to Marth's, I'd happily take more characters like this if that meant we got to play as them.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm going to post my updated 52 character dream roster that won't happen but that's why I called it a dream roster

My only regret is having to leave out Beast Ganon. and mach rider and sukapon.

But I managed to fit custom robo in there somehow so it's aight.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Well, since the shroud of Gematsu has fallen, I'll repost my wishlist of Smash newcomers.
I don't get why everyone is Saying gematsu is wrong. He was right, but he didn't get to see all the new characters :)

Which is the BEST outcome, one which I was hoping for.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Still hoping for Issac, but I think Robin takes the whole battlemage role.

But he has so much potential to be completely different, ho hum

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Today was a bittersweet day, but I will say it was more on the sweet side. In one hand, although Chrom was one of my most wanted characters, Robin absolutely blew me out of the water, and I'm really excited to see a mage-based Fire Emblem character in Smash. Lucina also looks cool, and since Marth is my Main, I'm sure I'll use Lucina often. Also, to a somewhat greater extent, this disproves the Gematsu Leak and makes Smash predictions and speculation exciting again. Although I still have unwavering support for Shulk, I can now support King K Rool, Isaac, and Paper Mario with greater confidence. Captain Falcon coming through was also very exciting, and he looks awesome. Also, we have 4 Fire Emblem reps... I think that this solidifies Fire Emblem's importance as a Nintendo Franchise. Fire Emblem isn't that niche Japanese exclusive Turn-Based Strategy anymore, its a high class franchise along the likes of StarFox, Metroid, and Donkey Kong. I'm really happy for that, since I love Fire Emblem and think that it is severely underrated in the gaming industry.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The best part were the people complaining how predictable Sakurai was getting.

Ironically, I predicted there would be Fire Emblem-related news.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I have an idea for a newcomer trailer. So, theres a dank, dark cave. And you see footsteps, and the legs if a boy walking past a pile of rocks in the cave. Behind the rocks, after the boy passes, a Jigglypuff appears and follows the boy and attacks. The boy is attacked. In the dark cave, you see only the silhouette of the boy. Hus eyes glow blue, and is revealed to be Shulk. Cue Shulk gameplay for a minute or so, inclding Jigglypuff as another fighter.

It goes back to the trailer. Shulk begins to walk away and travels to the back of the cave, along with the Jigglypuff. They reach the deepest chamber. Suddenly, they see a large figure lurking in the chamber. Light pours in and it is revealed to be Mewtwo. Shulk prepares for battle and cue more gameplay of Shulk and Mewtwo.

The trailer ends with Shulk panting, worn from battle. His eyes glow blue. Mewtwo's eyes glow yellow. Trailer over.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Today was a bittersweet day, but I will say it was more on the sweet side. In one hand, although Chrom was one of my most wanted characters, Robin absolutely blew me out of the water, and I'm really excited to see a mage-based Fire Emblem character in Smash. Lucina also looks cool, and since Marth is my Main, I'm sure I'll use Lucina often. Also, to a somewhat greater extent, this disproves the Gematsu Leak and makes Smash predictions and speculation exciting again. Although I still have unwavering support for Shulk, I can now support King K Rool, Isaac, and Paper Mario with greater confidence. Captain Falcon coming through was also very exciting, and he looks awesome. Also, we have 4 Fire Emblem reps... I think that this solidifies Fire Emblem's importance as a Nintendo Franchise. Fire Emblem isn't that niche Japanese exclusive Turn-Based Strategy anymore, its a high class franchise along the likes of StarFox, Metroid, and Donkey Kong. I'm really happy for that, since I love Fire Emblem and think that it is severely underrated in the gaming industry.
Exactly what I expect: better support.

I seriously think that more and more support thread will have better support. I don't know how it will grow but it's really soon.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The best part were the people complaining how predictable Sakurai was getting.

Ironically, I predicted there would be Fire Emblem-related news.
Sakurai the Great and Unpredictable.

Before the tweeting and whatnot I was also betting Chrom over Shulk. But then I went to bed sad.

But pretty sure nobody saw this double reveal coming, with Falcon sprinkles on top.

Wow that sux for his street cred haha
To be fair, they have all the trailers made already it seems like. Plus, Chrom is fully modeled in game.

Leak technically could be legit, and someone at nintendo is monitoring Sal's account, saw that post, and they changed which trailer they showed.

I agree, that's a bit of a longshot, but keep it in the back of your mind come the next character reveal, is my advice.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Do you guys want Lucina to be her OWN character, and take up a roster slot, or to be just a skin for Marth? I honestly don't know... if Lucina is a clone, I think I might want her as a skin, because I wouldn't want her to take up roster space. Plus, if she is a clone and has a roster spot.... then FREAKING Dark Pit may become his own character. However, if she proves to be more unique than Marth and more of a semiclone, I'd want her as a roster spot. Thoughts?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I just really hope that she is different enough from Marth, otherwise *points at Wii Fit, Villager, Robin and other characters with costumes.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Do you guys want Lucina to be her OWN character, and take up a roster slot, or to be just a skin for Marth? I honestly don't know... if Lucina is a clone, I think I might want her as a skin, because I wouldn't want her to take up roster space. Plus, if she is a clone and has a roster spot.... then FREAKING Dark Pit may become his own character. However, if she proves to be more unique than Marth and more of a semiclone, I'd want her as a roster spot. Thoughts?
If Dark Pit was a character, he would've gotten his reveal during the Palutena trailer, like Lucina got hers during Robin's trailer.

So I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Put a cork in it.

Rhythm Heaven is deserving of a representative, and Chorus Kids are a great choice.
Ok, I have a question though - if you could choose any rhythm heaven rep, who would it be? Because I've heard numerous people say they thought there were better reps from the series than the kids.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I just really hope that she is different enough from Marth, otherwise *points at Wii Fit, Villager, Robin and other characters with costumes.
I think she'll have her own unique attributes, You all have to remember we did not see all of her attacks, only a few that do share similarities with Marth. She would not haver her own slot and the title of "newcomer" without being an actual new character. Give it time, and she will surely shine.

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
It's looking like Lucina from the trailer is going to be a more agile and faster version of Marth, that's all I pretty much I got from it ha; I haven't played much Fire Emblem so not sure what else she is known for, all I know is that Robin looks pretty cool and I'll be looking to try him/her out.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 18187
Here you go, my updated roster. It's got almost everything that will make Smash fans happy, barring Snake and Isaac.
K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Shulk, and Chorus Kids are my newcomers. All of them have different things going in their favor, so I'll just list them off.

STARTER:

Shulk - Gematsu may not look too good right now, but that doesn't mean Shulk's chances are any lower. Xenoblade is becoming a Nintendo IP now, and Chronicles is a critically acclaimed cult classic. Also, Gematsu may have been wrong about Chrom and Shulk's reveal today, however I still think that it's at least partially true. Which leads me to...

Chorus Kids - While I'll admit their chances rest almost solely on the leak, I am still confident that the leak is simply outdated. It's credibility is damaged, but not killed. A Rhythm Heaven character seems all too likely with Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run, and I've explained in the past why Chorus Kids would be a great choice.

SECRET:

K. Rool - Kremlings galore in Smash Run. That "big Kremling" almost certainly is not K. Rool, so I think it's fair to say that K. Rool is once again one of the most likely candidates for Smash 4.

Dixie Kong - Two DK characters? Well we got two FE characters, didn't we? A completely original character and a semi-clone: it could definitely happen again with K. Rool and Dixie; both of which have a lot of merit and potential.

Ridley - I'm not as confident in Ridley as I once was, but I don't think that his chances are dead at all. He has been teased quite a lot, and I just feel that he would fit in very well. Sakurai is well aware of the Ridley situation, but I'm unsure of how he will approach it.

OTHER:

Mewtwo - I'm not going over this one.

If I had to make cuts they would likely be Ridley, Dixie, and Lucas.
But I don't have to right now.
Were :popo: an intentional cut?

EDIT: Figured I'd post my new roster as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom