• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Really happy with the characters we got today. Like many, I expected Shulk because of the Gematsu leak, but I was pleasantly surprised when we got Lucina and Robin (who looks to be very unique character) along with the return of Captain Falcon. I'm also glad that the Gematsu leak has been proven to not be 100% true so we can speculate on characters that weren't on the Gematsu leak.

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
I think after today its just better not to take leaks seriously until everything in them is proven, I'm just happy that Gematsu was squashed cause now you can actually speculate on characters in the game besides having a set few and saying this is what's coming so don't get your hopes up.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I think it is notable that Foul Mouth said nothing about Chrom.
now look where we are.
I am taking foul mouth seriously at this point. I don't believe it per se, but I have my eye on it.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Getting back to when Wolf and Krystal were brought up, you are all undermining her importance to the franchise.

I do believe that Wolf is way more important. I also believe that Krystal is extremely important. They both have their fair merits that should warrant them a spot. Wolf obviously has a better chance being the veteran, but don't count Krystal out, ESPECIALLY after today's events.

And Krystal doesn't only have a hatebase. She has a huge fanbase as well, both in general and for Smash. Krystal is hated here far more then the general american consensus.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm just tired of leaks man. I don't trust them ever now.

I don't care even if it has a picture, I will write it down as true.

Gematsu has been with us for more than a FULL YEAR! And it has only NOW been disproven! I'm out.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Was bored, so I drew a thing.

I've been seeing an increased amount of Chorus Kids hate after todays reveal, sadly. :<

Maxilian

Smash Ace
But a hatebase that is as sizable as krystals is a major deterrent, IMO
Krystal hatebase is not that big (Tingle have a really big hatebase and still got in as a AT)

Pac-man hatebase is actually really small is just really load, also Pac-man had a big title at his side that helped him a lot (also Namco is working with Nintendo in Smash 4, so i wouldn't compare him with Krystal, still i think that Krystal can become a playable character, having in mind that she can be an unique character)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I don't think it's worth it to ditch Gematsu at this point. We've already calculated the probability that it's just a bunch of guesses (and it's really low). Dechromfirmation is a hit to the resume but it's still an impressive leak. It's no longer the gospel but it's still worth keeping an eye out for. Like if we get Chorus Men then we'll all be coming back to the leak as we're confused about it still.

We know from Part 2 in April that the leaked info is from early in development (Pokemon X/Y was a character before Greninja was chosen). It is within the realm of possibility that Chrom was planned and cut for Robin. That said I do understand why people are skeptical about the leak now.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Krystal hatebase is not that big (Tingle have a really big hatebase and still got in as a AT)

Pac-man hatebase is actually really small is just really load, also Pac-man had a big title at his side that helped him a lot (also Namco is working with Nintendo in Smash 4, so i wouldn't compare him with Krystal, still i think that Krystal can become a playable character, having in mind that she can be an unique character)
I seem to see a lot against her, but I'll concede fif you say so.

The pac man thing makes total sense, hes a video game mascot, historic, and an incredibly recognizable character. Krystal has a few appearances, is the second lackey after falco, and isn't super unique (staff functions very similar to a sword in smash physics)

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I seem to see a lot against her, but I'll concede fif you say so.

The pac man thing makes total sense, hes a video game mascot, historic, and an incredibly recognizable character. Krystal has a few appearances, is the second lackey after falco, and isn't super unique (staff functions very similar to a sword in smash physics)
We've barely seen any staff action in Smash as it is, so how can you make that assumption?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
We've barely seen any staff action in Smash as it is, so how can you make that assumption?
I just meant that while in real life swords cut while staffs are blunt, everything in smash is essentially a blunt weapon since there is no differentiation between a slash or cut and bat for example. They all function similarly, so I can think of a handful of unique animations before a staff becomes recycled sword animations from all of the swordsmen. I could be wrong, but I don't see it being that unique.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
No Gematsu Roster.png

Here you go, my updated roster. It's got almost everything that will make Smash fans happy, barring Snake and Isaac.
K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Shulk, and Chorus Kids are my newcomers. All of them have different things going in their favor, so I'll just list them off.

STARTER:

Shulk - Gematsu may not look too good right now, but that doesn't mean Shulk's chances are any lower. Xenoblade is becoming a Nintendo IP now, and Chronicles is a critically acclaimed cult classic. Also, Gematsu may have been wrong about Chrom and Shulk's reveal today, however I still think that it's at least partially true. Which leads me to...

Chorus Kids - While I'll admit their chances rest almost solely on the leak, I am still confident that the leak is simply outdated. It's credibility is damaged, but not killed. A Rhythm Heaven character seems all too likely with Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run, and I've explained in the past why Chorus Kids would be a great choice.

SECRET:

K. Rool - Kremlings galore in Smash Run. That "big Kremling" almost certainly is not K. Rool, so I think it's fair to say that K. Rool is once again one of the most likely candidates for Smash 4.

Dixie Kong - Two DK characters? Well we got two FE characters, didn't we? A completely original character and a semi-clone: it could definitely happen again with K. Rool and Dixie; both of which have a lot of merit and potential.

Ridley - I'm not as confident in Ridley as I once was, but I don't think that his chances are dead at all. He has been teased quite a lot, and I just feel that he would fit in very well. Sakurai is well aware of the Ridley situation, but I'm unsure of how he will approach it.

OTHER:

Mewtwo - I'm not going over this one.

If I had to make cuts they would likely be Ridley, Dixie, and Lucas.
But I don't have to right now.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Was bored, so I drew a thing.

I've been seeing an increased amount of Chorus Kids hate after todays reveal, sadly. :<
Most people just accepted Chorus Men; however, they are no longer obligated to because they arbitrarily believe that the leak is false in its entirety. Unfortunate, but warranted. They did not accrue any support without the leak anyways, so it is not as though they lose anything relevant.
:4robinf:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
View attachment 18187
Here you go, my updated roster. It's got almost everything that will make Smash fans happy, barring Snake and Isaac.
K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Shulk, and Chorus Kids are my newcomers. All of them have different things going in their favor, so I'll just list them off.

STARTER:

Shulk - Gematsu may not look too good right now, but that doesn't mean Shulk's chances are any lower. Xenoblade is becoming a Nintendo IP now, and Chronicles is a critically acclaimed cult classic. Also, Gematsu may have been wrong about Chrom and Shulk's reveal today, however I still think that it's at least partially true. Which leads me to...

Chorus Kids - While I'll admit their chances rest almost solely on the leak, I am still confident that the leak is simply outdated. It's credibility is damaged, but not killed. A Rhythm Heaven character seems all too likely with Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run, and I've explained in the past why Chorus Kids would be a great choice.

SECRET:

K. Rool - Kremlings galore in Smash Run. That "big Kremling" almost certainly is not K. Rool, so I think it's fair to say that K. Rool is once again one of the most likely candidates for Smash 4.

Dixie Kong - Two DK characters? Well we got two FE characters, didn't we? A completely original character and a semi-clone: it could definitely happen again with K. Rool and Dixie; both of which have a lot of merit and potential.

Ridley - I'm not as confident in Ridley as I once was, but I don't think that his chances are dead at all. He has been teased quite a lot, and I just feel that he would fit in very well. Sakurai is well aware of the Ridley situation, but I'm unsure of how he will approach it.

OTHER:

I have to stop you at the "Leak is outdated" theory. Sakurai had said during the roundtable that he decided the roster from the beginning.

Replace Chorus Kids with Bandana Dee and I would be on board with you.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I have to stop you at the "Leak is outdated" theory. Sakurai had said during the roundtable that he decided the roster from the beginning.
Plans change, however.

Characters are cut. Last minute additions are made.
Shulk and Chorus Kids still have merit aside from the leak (especially Shulk) so I wouldn't be surprised to see either one.

The leak still has 8/11, Sneaky Spirit, and Mii Fighters in its repertoire.
You can't throw it away as 100% disconfirmed, as there is evidence that points towards it being at least partially correct.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
View attachment 18187

STARTER:

SECRET:

OTHER:

Beautiful.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Even after everything thats happened, I'm still down for Chorus Kids.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Plans change, however.

Characters are cut. Last minute additions are made.
Shulk and Chorus Kids still have merit aside from the leak (especially Shulk) so I wouldn't be surprised to see either one.

The leak still has 8/11, Sneaky Spirit, and Mii Fighters in its repertoire.
You can't throw it away as 100% disconfirmed, as there is evidence that points towards it being at least partially correct.
- Question: when was Greninja chosen to be added?

- Answer: All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not wait for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings.

Seems unlikely that they would change their roster at all if they wanted to take this big of a risk with Greninja.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I guess I have to wait patiently for Shulk now.

Honestly, two months until the Japanese release. Will they all be revealed pre-launch? If so, we should expect more days like this.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Those claiming the leak is "outdated info":

What do you have to say about the fact that the "leaker" stated Shulk was a guarantee for today's reveal?
An unlucky guess, perhaps?

I mean, everyone thought it would be Shulk tomorrow. We were quite confident about it.

Shroob

Sup?
Those claiming the leak is "outdated info":

What do you have to say about the fact that the "leaker" stated Shulk was a guarantee for today's reveal?
Someone actually brought up a really nice theory that I only learned recently about.

Say you're trying to catch a snitch, and you know one of three people is the snitch. How do you find them out? The best way to do so, is you tell the three people stories that conflict with one another. That way, when one of the stories is made known(Leaked), you're able to pinpoint the leaker.

tl;dr: People were told conflicting news about who the trailer would be about, Sal's leaker was told the wrong answer to try to root him out.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I hate being right all the time, but it's just my personal rule not to trust leaks no matter how credible. I predicted Gematsu was fake by MIRACLE, but I NEVER thought that Chrom would be Sal's big mistake. Here's my newcomer prediction list as it stands right now.

Krystal
Chorus Boys
Shulk
Dixie Kong
Paper Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom