• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Vaati isn't relevant? OK, let me check IMDB to see if Snoop Dogg will be reprising his role as Vaati for Smash 4. These are pretty good arguments against/for characters, right?

I don't really support Vaati, but "relevancy" and IMDB should never be used in arguments ever.
I thought Snoop voiced Epona, not Vaati?

EDIT: Never mind, it was 50 Cent. Got my rappers confused.

Last edited by a moderator:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Well it was never said it was a "Beta" roster, Sakurai actually said that the roster was done a long time ago (when they started to work with SSB4) :drifloon:
Source? I recall him saying something along the lines of "I had an idea for what I wanted the roster to look like" during the roundtable.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Think the leak is relatively accurate, but not 100% correct.

Would really like Snake back and right now he's at about 50/50.
There's no evidence for him but none against him either. This is true of others like Shulk, Chrom, The "other" earthbound rep, ROB, MetaKnight, Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf and so on.

Iceclimbers and Rhytm Heaven have smash run enemies.
Wario and Falcon have assist trophies linked.
Saturn and Badge are back which points to an Earthbound rep.

I would like if the DLC was in Packs for characters:

Melee Pack:
- Melee Retro Stages
- some New Stages to Rep the characters
- Dr. Mario
- Mewtwo
- Pichu
- Young Link (MM Moveset)
- Roy

Brawl Pack:
- More Brawl Retro Stages
- New ones
- Squirtle
- Ivysaur
- Others that are cut

WiiU/3DS
- Entirely New Characters and Stages

As you can probably tell, I am sour about cuts! :p

Could see them at the end just releasing another version later on with the DLC in it to try to double dip.

D

Deleted member

Think the leak is relatively accurate, but not 100% correct.

Would really like Snake back and right now he's at about 50/50.
There's no evidence for him but none against him either. This is true of others like Shulk, Chrom, The "other" earthbound rep, ROB, MetaKnight, Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf and so on.

Iceclimbers and Rhytm Heaven have smash run enemies.
Wario and Falcon have assist trophies linked.
Saturn and Badge are back which points to an Earthbound rep.

I would like if the DLC was in Packs for characters:

Melee Pack:
- Melee Retro Stages
- some New Stages to Rep the characters
- Dr. Mario
- Mewtwo
- Pichu
- Young Link (MM Moveset)
- Roy

Brawl Pack:
- More Brawl Retro Stages
- New ones
- Squirtle
- Ivysaur
- Others that are cut

WiiU/3DS
- Entirely New Characters and Stages

As you can probably tell, I am sour about cuts! :p

Could see them at the end just releasing another version later on with the DLC in it to try to double dip.

I'm in agreement with you on everything but completely new characters. Even stages to an extent. I just feel adding completely new stuff through DLC would just ruin a bit of the novelty for each forthcoming game. The only new things I would like through DLC are alternate costumes and stage builder packs. I like the rest of your ideas though.:p

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
And I hate when "relevancy" is used as an argument against a character. Just me personally.
The thing is though, that even though its not the end all be all that many who dont want to hear it think those that use it are claiming, the proof is in the pudding. I mean look at all the newcomers we have now, they are all from the current era of nintendo (especially the stages), or have at least had a presence in it even the ones not revealed yet. I know many want all their favorites, but it would seem that sakurai is looking towards new series and new characters for the potential they bring. AT's seem to be the best bet for characters from across the board, not to say that we couldnt get a past favorite because thats still very possible.

He could reach through the bowels of nintendos past to scrape the barrel, but in all honesty the major players for most if not all the franchises are present. I personally dont believe in even "reps" for all around or the notion that sakurai would look at series representation amount before he would look towards a unique character themselves. Sure there are some characters that probably werent as necessary as they were easy for the team to make, but most of those were carry over from past games. With this game weve seen some of the most unique and promising newcomers the series has ever seen, and with each new franchise they also bring along new assets and new worlds to bring into the smash bros universe.

To sum it up, it doesnt mean everything and wouldnt keep a character out, but it definitely has its place among sakurai's thought process and what he looks towards as well as what he wants the show off from many of the series.

Last edited:

PsychoVillager

Smash Rookie
What about Agnes from Bravely Default? (And I would like Layton as a newcomer but I can't picture him hitting with his hat)

[Like I said in other threads, I would like to see new games in Smash Bros like Bayonetta, Bravely, Xenoblade, Golden Sun or Layton]

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What about Agnes from Bravely Default? (And I would like Layton as a newcomer but I can't picture him hitting with his hat)

[Like I said in other threads, I would like to see new games in Smash Bros like Bayonetta, Bravely, Xenoblade, Golden Sun or Layton]
Bravely Default is by Square Enix, not Nintendo. It's a third party franchise.

Same goes for Professor Layton, except it's owned by Level-5 instead of Square Enix.

Bayonetta isn't by Nintendo either. The series is owned by Sega.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well to be fair, PsychoVillager did say that he would like to see them (except with Agnes)

I'd like to see Layton too but ah well.... :/

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Robin?

*sigh*

Life is unfair

3 personal problems for me:
1. Why are you complaining about Isaac? He actually deserves to be in the game
2. Agreed
3. Agreed even though I dislike Chrom, I'd rather take him over ****ty Robin

...wait that was only one problem. WHY AM I GOING NUTS
Agree with the bolded.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton would have certainly been a character with a good chance had his third party status not hold him back and would have probably been more requested had he been a 1st or 2nd party character.

He is well requested as is (most notably in the UK) and many fans went nuts when that "Layton in Smash" misunderstanding with ONM happened a couple month's ago. But overall, I'm not sure how he would fare for the next games though, unless the series will continue on after Smash 4 (Which with a hint for a new upcoming film, that may just be a possibility) and if Sakurai tones his "Third parties need to be legendary" requirement down a little bit but not too much, then maybe....

It would be great if Layton made it in, but I'm not holding much hope for him for the current games though.

D

Deleted member

The thing is though, that even though its not the end all be all that many who dont want to hear it think those that use it are claiming, the proof is in the pudding. I mean look at all the newcomers we have now, they are all from the current era of nintendo (especially the stages), or have at least had a presence in it even the ones not revealed yet. I know many want all their favorites, but it would seem that sakurai is looking towards new series and new characters for the potential they bring. AT's seem to be the best bet for characters from across the board, not to say that we couldnt get a past favorite because thats still very possible.

He could reach through the bowels of nintendos past to scrape the barrel, but in all honesty the major players for most if not all the franchises are present. I personally dont believe in even "reps" for all around or the notion that sakurai would look at series representation amount before he would look towards a unique character themselves. Sure there are some characters that probably werent as necessary as they were easy for the team to make, but most of those were carry over from past games. With this game weve seen some of the most unique and promising newcomers the series has ever seen, and with each new franchise they also bring along new assets and new worlds to bring into the smash bros universe.

To sum it up, it doesnt mean everything and wouldnt keep a character out, but it definitely has its place among sakurai's thought process and what he looks towards as well as what he wants the show off from many of the series.
I understand that it is important, but I just hate it when people say "X" hasn't been in a game recently, and will not be playable. It just bothers me.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Well at least a Layton mii is really easy to make. All you gotta do then is set him to swordfighter and give him the top hat and coat. :V

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I understand that it is important, but I just hate it when people say "X" hasn't been in a game recently, and will not be playable. It just bothers me.
Well, the "relevancy" or "recency" arguments have always been a load of tripe so it makes sense why many people hate it. People get proven wrong countless times and they still don't learn how things work. It's amazing.

This is Smash Bros., not a marketing ploy for the latest games. Part of its charm is to have Nintendo characters, old and new, battling.

Sheik, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch and Captain Falcon are good examples of characters that would be cut if it were for such bull****. Would anyone in their sane mind want that to happen?

But, I have to reinforce the obvious. If there are notable characters from recent games and especially from newer IPs, obviously they will also be added to the roster, but it's just like I said: that's part of Smash's charm.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If Layton was an actual Nintendo character, how more requested would he have been?
He could have been one of the most requested characters, and could have been a lock.

Really, if he wasn't third party, he would be an ideal addition to the roster.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If Layton has owned by Nintendo then I would probably support him a lot.

However, he's not, so I just think of him as a cool addition rather than someone I really support.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well he is already requested tons in Europe and America, seeing as to how most people see that it's published by Nintendo, it's why Layton is one of the most requested out there. His requests wouldn't change much even if he was a Nintendo character.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
It's already bad enough there's no enough room to include Medusa...
Idk who to Cut for Mewtwo everyone very much deserves a role (personally I say Falco, who, While Cool, is still very much a clone and I'm not interested in him at all Also FoxXWolf OTP)
And Chrom over Robin....ehhhhhhh, what does Chrom bring to the Field that we don't already have
What's he gonna do, MARRY ME TILL DEATH DO US PART?

3DS Roster.png

Fine with the Chrous Men and the changing around tho

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ DustyPumpkin DustyPumpkin
If you're going to include Chorus Kids you may as well add Chrom.

Replace Robin with Chrom and Isaac with Mewtwo and it's perfect.
I like both of them but I just don't think Isaac will make it, and Robin and Chrom aren't both getting in.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Idk who to Cut for Mewtwo everyone very much deserves a role (personally I say Falco, who, While Cool, is still very much a clone and I'm not interested in him at all Also FoxXWolf OTP)
And Chrom over Robin....ehhhhhhh, what does Chrom bring to the Field that we don't already have

View attachment 16887

Of course:troll:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601

View attachment 16887

Just a tiny preference to Marshal for the reason I gave yesterday, but no major issues. Great job!

#TeamAnyoneButChrom

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Warning Received
@ DustyPumpkin DustyPumpkin
If you're going to include Chorus Kids you may as well add Chrom.

Replace Robin with Chrom and Isaac with Mewtwo and it's perfect.
I like both of them but I just don't think Isaac will make it, and Robin and Chrom aren't both getting in.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430

View attachment 16887

Please, please, please switch Samus's and Ridley's positions. My OCD flared stronger than a forest fire at that. Also, switch Pit and Palutena.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why would their positions be switched...?
It has Pikachu and Kirby at the end of their rows, but it has Ridley at the end of the row. Going off that having the protagonist/mascot/whatever at the end of the row, Samus and Ridley should swap places.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Why would their positions be switched...?
It has Pikachu and Kirby at the end of their rows, but it has Ridley at the end of the row. Going off that having the protagonist/mascot/whatever at the end of the row, Samus and Ridley should swap places.
And Pit before Palutena because main characters seem to be coming first everywhere else.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This is my preferred roster.

My preferred Roster Roster.png

Yeah, it's 52 characters. The roster probably won't get that big, but this one has all the characters I want or expect.

Hopefully if particular characters aren't in, they just get added as DLC.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
This is my preferred roster.

View attachment 16893

Yeah, it's 52 characters. The roster probably won't get that big, but this one has all the characters I want or expect.

Hopefully if particular characters aren't in, they just get added as DLC.
I find your addition of Lucas pleasing. :laugh:

Well he is already requested tons in Europe and America, seeing as to how most people see that it's published by Nintendo, it's why Layton is one of the most requested out there. His requests wouldn't change much even if he was a Nintendo character.
A shame he's so close to Nintendo... yet so far from Smash Bros. :(

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Bravely Default is by Square Enix, not Nintendo. It's a third party franchise.

Same goes for Professor Layton, except it's owned by Level-5 instead of Square Enix.

Bayonetta isn't by Nintendo either. The series is owned by Sega.
Platinum Games owns Bayo, SEGA only published the first game.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Well, the "relevancy" or "recency" arguments have always been a load of tripe so it makes sense why many people hate it. People get proven wrong countless times and they still don't learn how things work. It's amazing.

This is Smash Bros., not a marketing ploy for the latest games. Part of its charm is to have Nintendo characters, old and new, battling.

Sheik, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch and Captain Falcon are good examples of characters that would be cut if it were for such bull****. Would anyone in their sane mind want that to happen?

But, I have to reinforce the obvious. If there are notable characters from recent games and especially from newer IPs, obviously they will also be added to the roster, but it's just like I said: that's part of Smash's charm.
It was already explained by @HylianHeroBigBoss but well... let me point a couple of things out:

- R.O.B, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit and Ice Climbers are all classics

- When Captain Falcon and Sheik came out for the first time they were recent characters and also relevant, and now they are veterans...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sega still owns some aspect of Bayonetta, or else they wouldn't still be listed as copyright holders for Bayo 2.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Long time no see ladies and gents. I've been bored, so I got around to designing a little something. Not something for a playable character, not advocating for a playable character...but rather the return of a certain Mid-Boss who made his introduction in Smash Bros 64:

Metal Mario! In recent years, Nintendo has been trying almost endlessly to make this guy his own stand-alone character, being an ultimate rivals of sorts in alot of Crossover Nintendo games. So, in recollection of this, I think Metal Mario (JUST Metal Mario) should come back as a semi-final boss for Classic Mode, and possibly Adventure mode if there is one. And better yet, give him his own moveset!

Standard B: Mercury Shot (A charge special, Metal Mario will charge up something in his hand, then thrusting his arm forward, releasing a wave of shiny Silver liquid in the form of a projectile. Will do more damage and go faster depending on how long the button is held for. 8-16%)

Side + B: Metal Wave (Metal Mario will punch the ground, letting out a wave of Metal shards along the ground to deal damage. This move can either be used as a hold the side + B or Smash + B, the hold version being weaker but can be used to transition into combos as it knocks the opponent upwards, but the smash version is made to knock the opponent away horizontally and keep the opponent away. 10-18%)

Up + B: Steel Rocket (Metal Mario will perform an upward-lunging punch, in the same vein as Mario’s Super Jump Punch, only his goes a greater distance than the Super Jump Punch, as well as hitting harder, but only hitting once. With a helpless state and a long ending lag, this move is very high risk high reward. 15%)

Down + B: Diamond Hide (Metal Mario’s body will gleam bright for a brief moment, which will reflect damage back at the opponent, working as his own personal counter attack. This move’s timing is very pin-point, so it takes time to learn how to master. Deals 50% damage dealt during counter)

Final Smash is still debatable, especially on the front if he should be able to pick up items or a Smash Ball. Regardless, I wanna get some Metal Battle music back in Smash Goddammit. :p

D

Deleted member

Long time no see ladies and gents. I've been bored, so I got around to designing a little something. Not something for a playable character, not advocating for a playable character...but rather the return of a certain Mid-Boss who made his introduction in Smash Bros 64:

Metal Mario! In recent years, Nintendo has been trying almost endlessly to make this guy his own stand-alone character, being an ultimate rivals of sorts in alot of Crossover Nintendo games. So, in recollection of this, I think Metal Mario (JUST Metal Mario) should come back as a semi-final boss for Classic Mode, and possibly Adventure mode if there is one. And better yet, give him his own moveset!

Standard B: Mercury Shot (A charge special, Metal Mario will charge up something in his hand, then thrusting his arm forward, releasing a wave of shiny Silver liquid in the form of a projectile. Will do more damage and go faster depending on how long the button is held for. 8-16%)

Side + B: Metal Wave (Metal Mario will punch the ground, letting out a wave of Metal shards along the ground to deal damage. This move can either be used as a hold the side + B or Smash + B, the hold version being weaker but can be used to transition into combos as it knocks the opponent upwards, but the smash version is made to knock the opponent away horizontally and keep the opponent away. 10-18%)

Up + B: Steel Rocket (Metal Mario will perform an upward-lunging punch, in the same vein as Mario’s Super Jump Punch, only his goes a greater distance than the Super Jump Punch, as well as hitting harder, but only hitting once. With a helpless state and a long ending lag, this move is very high risk high reward. 15%)

Down + B: Diamond Hide (Metal Mario’s body will gleam bright for a brief moment, which will reflect damage back at the opponent, working as his own personal counter attack. This move’s timing is very pin-point, so it takes time to learn how to master. Deals 50% damage dealt during counter)

Final Smash is still debatable, especially on the front if he should be able to pick up items or a Smash Ball. Regardless, I wanna get some Metal Battle music back in Smash Goddammit. :p
I like the idea, but at the same time, if they were to make a unique moveset for him, they would have to make him playable. That, or at least make those moves custom for Mario. But you did give me an idea. That idea being dlc for alt costumes, as well as custom moves based on that costume. As for amiibo, let's just assume it's only used for figure players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom