• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
+ Marshall over Chorus Men is also good, represents Rhythm Heaven more than a single minigame would.
But Marshall is an intro, which is hardly any better.

And Chorus Kids are a choir, something that actually has to do with musical rhythm. Marshall is pretty generic.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
+ Marshall over Chorus Men is also good, represents Rhythm Heaven more than a single minigame would.
So I see you've never played Rhythm Heaven...

Chorus Kids are actually music based, and represent many minigames in the series due to the fact that they are a trio. Many minigames feature multiple characters keeping rhythm together or mimicking each other. Chorus Kids represent this FAR more than Marshal. I can't see as many rhythm mechanics with Marshal.

Marshal's importance is overrated. He's one of the three "hosts" of Rhythm Heaven Fever. He has not appeared in any other game, so no, contrary to popular belief, he is not the main character of Rhythm Heaven. Chorus Kids appear in the iconic minigame Glee Club (Rhythm Heaven DS), the minigame Munchy Monk (Fever), and even made an appearance in Warioware (Game & Wario). They are also used as promotional characters for Rhythm Heaven DS (used almost exclusively as mascots for the game). Plus Marshal is based off of the Chorus Kids. Without them the little thing wouldn't even exist.

Now is my time to come out and say that I hate the idea of Marshal getting in instead of Chorus Kids.
Any Rhythm Heaven representation is good, but Marshal doesn't even represent the series very well and bores me.

Thank you Spinosaurus for the introduction. :p

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Where does your zero motivation come from?
Well I already have Shulk and Little Mac.
I'm getting the Japanese-esque character I wanted with Greninja, and the rhythm-based character I wanted with Chorus Kids.
I'm not particularly motivated by stuff like Lucas or Mewtwo.
Also, the Bowser overhaul compensates for any heavyweight newcomers.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm surprised that the idea of a rhythm based trio moveset doesn't click well with you guys. :p
The rhythm based trio move-set is the only thing that clicks well with me. It is not as though I could possibly be interested in the aesthetics of the character. I am not even sure if they even have a personality to be completely and utterly honest.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The rhythm based trio move-set is the only thing that clicks well with me. It is not as though I could possibly be interested in the aesthetics of the character. I am not even sure if they even have a personality to be completely and utterly honest.

They do have some personality, and I think it's kinda charming.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I'm surprised that the idea of a rhythm based trio moveset doesn't click well with you guys. :p
Being a trio might be hard to control (if they go the Rosalina Luma approach) or overpowered (if they go Ice Climbers approach). However i think the trio thing will be just aesthetical, you know as in not actually having three sparate characters, but rather one unit that attacks in harmony.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

This pic accurately describes how many people in the Smash community will react/are reacting to their addition to the Smash roster, especially if they get in over characters like Ridley and K.Rool.

If they have a fun or interesting moveset and/or playstyle, then I'll be fine with them.

----

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The trio should act as a unit and not scatter. Each attack can have two additional inputs so each attack can have one, two, or three of the kids participating.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Personally, I prefer Marshal because I think he'd have a more far-fetched and fun moveset than the Chorus Men would (Like, I think he could sing, and do much more). I've never played Rhythm Heaven, but I think that as host, Marshal would be able to pull from the rest of the series more easily than the Chorus Men.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Marshal is just... Boring.

Chorus Kids can do so much more than Marshal, since they can pull from the minigames easier.
Again, most minigames revolve around duos, trios, quartets, etc. The Chorus Kids can work together to complete the goals from the games, and three characters just makes more sense when thinking about a rhythm based moveset. Press the buttons in time and each Kid performs the action one after the other. It works better than anything I can imagine Mashal doing.

The most exciting thing Marshal can do is swing around that sign of his.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I'm on team Karate Man, because Struck by the Rain + Lonely Storm will make for awesome trailer background music.

D

Deleted member

This pic accurately describes how many people in the Smash community will react/are reacting to their addition to the Smash roster, especially if they get in over characters like Ridley and K.Rool.

If they have a fun or interesting moveset and/or playstyle, then I'll be fine with them.

----
Poor Chorus Kids. At least Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. will be able to sympathize with them. Maybe even Ike- wait no.

*sigh* I hate when characters are unfairly backlashed...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

----
Honestly, I wouldn't be hyped at all, but that's due to me never playing Rhythm Heaven.
But I think a third DK rep is very necessary at this point.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I love when a roster has many non-obvious choices. It makes the game feel so much more interesting. This franchise is about celebrating Nintendo's history, no? Introducing people to new franchises, playing new games, it's a part of Nintendo; they choose to make these franchises that are beloved by so many. I can thank Smash for helping me like characters I previously hated (Wario) as well as trying games I never would have looked at otherwise. (Fire Emblem, EarthBound, F-Zero etc.)

I may be in the minority, but I'd take Chorus Kids over a new character from an existing series any day.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
*sigh* I hate when characters are unfairly backlashed...
To be fair Chorus Kids now aren't getting as much backlash as you'd normally expect, with most who are indifferent to them admitting to having never played Rhythm Heaven, which is fair! Out of 3 Gematu characters Chrom is the one that's getting the short end of the stick from what I noticed.

Although, it's possibly another story if Chorus Kids get revealed, which could go either way.

D

Deleted member

To be fair Chorus Kids now aren't getting as much backlash as you'd normally expect, with most who are indifferent to them admitting to having never played Rhythm Heaven, which is fair! Out of 3 Gematu characters Chrom is the one that's getting the short end of the stick from what I noticed.

Although, it's possibly another story if Chorus Kids get revealed, which could go either way.
To be fair though, I can see where people are coming from if they hate on Chrom. With Marth and Ike already confirmed, we have two anime swordspeople already, and Chrom doesn't seem to add anything if you were to just look at a picture of him, however, with how the team has made the new characters extremely diverse and colorful thus far, I am confident/hopeful Chrom will be much more interesting than we expect. And if not, I can say I will use him as a joke character kind of how I currently use Yoshi.

I'm glad that the Kids aren't getting too much hate though. I'll admit I haven't played Rhythm Heaven, but I'm a sucker for cute, stick figure like characters, and they do seem like they'd be an incredibly unique addition.

D

Deleted member

I'm not saying that I would hate if one got in, but am I the only one who thins we need another DK rep? I feel Dixie or Cranky wouldn't bring enough new to the table(although I guess that hasn't stopped sakurai before) so I would be fine with K.Rool, but I don't think he's in the "WE NEED HIM!!!" boat. I would take any of the yet to be shown Gematsu characters, Ridley,or any other new franchise rep like Takamaru, or Isaac before K.Rool. Again, I would be completely fine with him in, but I'm just wondering if I'm alone on this.

Edit: I would actually take K.Rool before Chrom, because I don't really want three blue haired dudes with swords from fire emblem. I would rather have someone like Robin or Anna.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
There are other ways to represent a franchise rather than having a playable character. You can never have all IPs with playable characters in Smash, that's for sure.

It's frustrating if we don't get fan-favourite characters like K. Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo in which people wanted for the longest time. And I'm not blaming this on the inclusion of other fighters, however, at this point, why not include the 3, or at least 2 of them? Like what's to lose? I admit Ridley may have some technical issues, but I want to see innovative and creative developers. They could make him work fine if they actually tried.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I think for new Zelda reps, Impa is the leading "good guy" and Vaati is the leading "bad guy." And the only person who can replace Ganondorf, is Ganon, which I don't know if they would treat it as a newcomer.
Actually i wouldn't say that Vaati is the leading "bad guy", cause is true that he's popular but he's not relevant anymore :dr-_-:, so i will put there Ghirahim or Ganon, also.... Impa won't happen, why? cause the roster was chossen before Hyrule Warriors development started, also it was already stated that Sakurai didn't know the character that will be in HW, so that makes it impossible to put that Impa in SSB4, so... the leading "good guy" would be Tetra :drifloon:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Actually i wouldn't say that Vaati is the leading "bad guy", cause is true that he's popular but he's not relevant anymore :dr-_-:, so i will put there Ghirahim or Ganon, also.... Impa won't happen, why? cause the roster was chossen before Hyrule Warriors development started, also it was already stated that Sakurai didn't know the character that will be in HW, so that makes it impossible to put that Impa in SSB4, so... the leading "good guy" would be Tetra :drifloon:
He's not relevant? Care to explain?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Why do people harp on so much about relevancy? Well, I guess it is the reason that R.O.B was left out of Brawl, he wasn't relevant at all. Same with Ice Climbers, Pit, G&W...
Oh wait

Maxilian

Smash Ace
He's not relevant? Care to explain?
Why do people harp on so much about relevancy? Well, I guess it is the reason that R.O.B was left out of Brawl, he wasn't relevant at all. Same with Ice Climbers, Pit, G&W...
Oh wait
Well is based on the idea that he's not a recent character and at the same time he's not old enought to be a "classic" character, like Pit, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B or Ice Climbers :dr^_^:

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Well is based on the idea that he's not a recent character and at the same time he's not old enought to be a "classic" character, like Pit, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B or Ice Climbers :dr^_^:
His last game was only 2 months before Skyward Sword, so unless you want to say Ghirahim's not recent enough, Vaati is plenty recent.

D

Deleted member

Vaati isn't relevant? OK, let me check IMDB to see if Snoop Dogg will be reprising his role as Vaati for Smash 4. These are pretty good arguments against/for characters, right?

I don't really support Vaati, but "relevancy" and IMDB should never be used in arguments ever.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Vaati isn't relevant? OK, let me check IMDB to see if Snoop Dogg will be reprising his role as Vaati for Smash 4. These are pretty good arguments against/for characters, right?

I don't really support Vaati, but "relevancy" and IMDB should never be used in arguments ever.
What? :drohmy:

His last game was only 2 months before Skyward Sword, so unless you want to say Ghirahim's not recent enough, Vaati is plenty recent.
True, but in the end... the more recent Zelda's game character is Ghirahim (actually Demise but noone likes him), i'm not saying that Vaati have no possibilities but i wouldn't say he's the most likely Zelda's newcomer :dr-_-:

D

Deleted member

Apparently, IMDB is used as a source for straw grasping confirming VAs for newcomers, even though the information on that site is incorrect.

And I hate when "relevancy" is used as an argument against a character. Just me personally.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Impa can't be in because there was already a Beta roster before she was revealed for Hyrule Warriors? It's called a "Beta" for a reason.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm probably totally wrong on this, but this is why I personally can't see Impa as a playable character.

Nintendo what the hell is she supposed to be a wizened old sage or a ninja.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
View attachment 16844
Yes, No, Maybe,
I don't know,
Can you repeat the question?
Robin?

*sigh*

Life is unfair

3 personal problems for me:
1. Isaac
2. Marshal, switch to Chorus Men
3. And Chrom needs to be there somewhere.
3 personal problems for me:
1. Why are you complaining about Isaac? He actually deserves to be in the game
2. Agreed
3. Agreed even though I dislike Chrom, I'd rather take him over ****ty Robin

...wait that was only one problem. WHY AM I GOING NUTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom