• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I see a few DLC scenarios:
  1. I'll take it like Skullgirls-If the DLC happens to be based on community choice (IE: Polls and request petitions decide it) then I'd say have it be free for a couple of weeks to a month for people who are actively playing and supporting, and then make it paid for those who aren't.
  2. Otherwise, if it's pre-decided, I'd have it be always paid. That's content that they worked hard to get out post-release and at that point I'd rather see them get paid higher to make profiting content and successful sales thanks to DLC.
  3. Third option is to have a "bundle" deal and have characters be 50/50 predetermined and requested at a reduced price together for people who really want the additional toppings. Again, cake metaphor.
I'm hoping it's taken as the point where the game is complete as is, but the DLC is a nice add-on (like the newest entry of Mario Golf, the DLC is optional but it doesn't feel like it's completely required); I want it to be like it's not required to get everything you can out of the game on it's own.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I can see Nintendo selling them for at least $1.99-4.99 for marketing purposes.
IMO they shouldn't be free at all, you're getting a whole new feel of playstyle with a new character, I feel like it's not that much to pay and it's something worth buying $5 for.
Pretty much how I think it will work.

IMO, there are 3 different ways DLC could be implemented if it is implemented (Free or Paid):
  1. Character DLC - Character packs are available
  2. Character + Other DLC - Character(s) are available for download, and with them comes costumes, stages, music, special trophies/assist trophies, items, etc. that are related to the character(s)
  3. No characters - costumes, stages, music, special trophies/assist trophies, items, etc. are available.
Of course, that is how I see it. I can see why people wouldn't want DLC characters (because you are basically forced into buying it if you want the full experience) but I have confidence that Nintendo will handle it well. Hell, if its free, there shouldn't be any problems.

EDIT: Also, there is the chance that DLC characters could be implemented through the Amiibo figures. I would jump all over a K Rool figurine if they made one :awesome:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

DLC should be free in case :lucas: doesn't make it. I'm still hopeful for his return though.

Morbi

Scavenger
DLC should NOT be free; I have no idea where people are construing that notion. If you do not want it do not buy it. It is not "unfair" and people WILL buy character DLC regardless of how you feel about it.

D

Deleted member

DLC should NOT be free; I have no idea where people are construing that notion. If you do not want it do not buy it. It is not "unfair" and people WILL buy character DLC regardless of how you feel about it.
I will buy it regardless. The bad idea here is DLC through amiibo. I hope that doesn't happen. That would be way too pricey IMO.

D

Deleted member

I don't intend to get too many amiibo, mainly because I have no money. Probably just one of Greninja and counters for Greninja.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I don't mind DLC or Amibos. What I do mind is if they are only available together.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Compromise between "DLC should be free" and "Creators should be paid". All DLC characters are from games released after smash. When you purchase a Nintendo game which has a DLC character in Smash, you get a redeemable code for that character. If you're a fan of the game, you get the respective character free. If you're on the fence about a game, worst case scenario, you trade it in and get to keep the DLC character. If you don't intend to buy the game but want the character, you can pay for the DLC. It improves rep for Nintendo, and it's also another way to encourage the purchase of new games rather than used.

D

Deleted member

The problem with having DLC within an Amiibo, if you have a group of friends who all own the game, you would only need to buy one and everyone gets the content. They could have the data locked once one user receives the data, but I feel that would be odd. I'm betting on Amiibo is only used for the FP in this game.

As for the DLC itself, I don't want to see any newcomers. I feel like it would ruin some of the novelty of Smash. Stages and alt. costumes, etc. would be cool, but the thing I would like to see most,(assuming they aren't unlockable in the standalone game) are stage builder packs. Stuff like specially designed regular blocks based off of the various franchises, as well unique gimmick parts based on each series. By regular I just mean standard ground like Final Destination, just with: example- a yarn texture like Kirby's epic yarn.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Here's my view on DLC

The only free DLC is basically characters that deserved to be in that didn't make it in, but more big shot characters and ANY third party DLC you'd have to pay for, at least .99 a character, but with third party characters, since it's a Nintendo all star game, we could maybe compromise by paying extra, like 1.99 for third party characters.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
DLC will cost money.

Don't complain about it.
Just because it's Nintendo DLC doesn't mean they're giving it away for free.

They don't make you pay 10 bucks a character but they still want money.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Developers need the money to continue developing games, that's just how it goes, there's no perfect world. :p
I never said there was a perfect world.

(although the infinite universe theory begs to differ, I don't think that answer would be acceptable on these boards.)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I bet half of the people who are against paid DLC were ripped off by Crapcom. You can't deny it if that's really the case. :troll:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I bet half of the people who are against paid DLC were ripped off by Crapcom. You can't deny it if that's really the case. :troll:
Admittedly, I've been a victim of this. **** SFxT man.

Although I do like the DLC practice of having it free for a short period of time.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What the hell is a Plasm Wraith even supposed to be?
Let's just say that its the smarter relative of the Water Wraith with elemental powers, the voracious hunger for Pikmin, and an appearance vaguely similar to Dali's "Homage to Newton" albeit deformed. Lastly,
It is the main antagonist of Pikmin 3 that kidnapped Olimar and became TOO attached to him. Definitely the most disturbing thing from the Pikmin universe.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Have four or five characters. You can pick one for a free download. The others can be purchased separately or in a bundle.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
3DS Roster.png

Yes, No, Maybe,
I don't know,
Can you repeat the question?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
You forgot to add the "at the current time" or something to that effect. We shall see whether or not they decide to make plans once development on the game has ceased in the near future.
That is true - Once the development has ceased. And even then it's only a possibility.

"For now, you could consider DLC as not being in the cards.

I feel as though many people are now putting all of their hopes and dreams on DLC. Most wanted newcomer not on the Gematsu Leak? DLC! Character cuts? DLC! Relying on DLC to fulfill all expectations will most likely only lead to more disappointment.

Morbi

Scavenger
View attachment 16844
Yes, No, Maybe,
I don't know,
The roster is decent; however, I have one complaint pertaining to organization. Why is Isaac's icon between Takamaru and Marth? Do you see the problem? Takamaru has blue-hair, so he should be before Marth and his fellow blue-haired Lord, Ike. Isacc would look better next to Shulk. It makes you look unprofessional to be completely and utterly honest. Order your anime swordsmen better or GTFO. No offense intended (oh I totally intended it). :troll:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
"I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate DLC!"
-Kefka

But yes there's no denying the possiblity, i just hope that if it does become true, it just doesn't relate to Amiibos.

3 personal problems for me:
1. Isaac
2. Marshal, switch to Chorus Men
3. And Chrom needs to be there somewhere.
You're not the boss of me now!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

"I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate DLC!"
-Kefka

But yes there's no denying the possiblity, i just hope that if it does become true, it just doesn't relate to Amiibos.
These are my thoughts for the most part. I don't despise DLC, but I would just rather not have to pay extra for characters who will no doubt deserve to be part of the main roster. I'll buy 'em anyway though... I guess I'm fine with it as long as I don't have to pay 15-ish dollars for a figure just so I can play as a character. You don't have to buy figures for DLC in other fighters, so it shouldn't be required for this one.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
View attachment 16844
Yes, No, Maybe,
I don't know,
Yes

The only things I don`t like about it are the cut of Snake and the poor organization. I mean, I can`t judge a roster for not having Snake at this point, but I still don`t like the idea of cuts. I also struggle seeing Takamaru in anymore, but he isn`t a bad choice by any means. Same to Isaac.

Props for Marshel and Robin.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The roster is decent; however, I have one complaint pertaining to organization. Why is Isaac's icon between Takamaru and Marth? Do you see the problem? Takamaru has blue-hair, so he should be before Marth and his fellow blue-haired Lord, Ike. Isacc would look better next to Shulk. It makes you look unprofessional to be completely and utterly honest. Order your anime swordsmen better or GTFO. No offense intended (oh I totally intended it). :troll:
Isaac should be in between Robin and Shulk. Shulk should be next to Ness.

I swear, if Shulk is in the game and he's not next to Ness on the Smash 4 CSS...

Last edited by a moderator:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
View attachment 16844
Yes, No, Maybe,
I don't know,
+ Robin over Chrom is good. More diversity.
+ Marshall over Chorus Men is also good, represents Rhythm Heaven more than a single minigame would.
+ Ness and Lucas is nice to see for once.
+ Takamaru is a good choice for a retro character...
- But having him or Isaac over Mewtwo is a bit iffy in my opinion.
- I'm not big in Isaac in general actually, Golden Sun never really stuck with me.
- No Snake? This is unforgivable, this roster is awful, what are you on...
++++++ Presence of K Rool and Ridley. Instantly gets my approval for that.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom