• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
They should add a Twilight Princess version of Vaati just to screw with everyone's predictions. Playable Ezlo would work too (hat or minish).

Vaati would be interesting, though when it comes to a LoZ character to be added I would have to say Ganondorf and Ghirahim are the frontrunners; however I would love to see Zant in the game, his bossfight in Twilight Princess was awesome and using Twilight energy attacks would be cool to see

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

So uh, this is probably my final roster, since we know most newcomers. Keeping it at 51 characters even though the slot sizes will probably change.
Cuts are :lucas:,:squirtle:,:ivysaur:, and :snake:.

Since I believe Sal didn't leak all the newcomers, I added four more.
Ridley and K. Rool because obvious reasons.
Bandana Dee is kind of a toss-up, but I like him so....
And no, I'm not cutting Plasm Wraith and replacing it with Mewtwo.:smirk:

Anyway, what do you guys think? I know I'd be perfectly happy with it.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Vaati would be interesting, though when it comes to a LoZ character to be added I would have to say Ganondorf and Ghirahim are the frontrunners; however I would love to see Zant in the game, his bossfight in Twilight Princess was awesome and using Twilight energy attacks would be cool to see
Ghirahim, front runner?

I think you missed a few pages here.

Also, check my signature for the propper Zelda frontrunner. :smirk:

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

So uh, this is probably my final roster, since we know most newcomers. Keeping it at 51 characters even though the slot sizes will probably change.
Cuts are :lucas:,:squirtle:,:ivysaur:, and :snake:.

Since I believe Sal didn't leak all the newcomers, I added four more.
Ridley and K. Rool because obvious reasons.
Bandana Dee is kind of a toss-up, but I like him so....
And no, I'm not cutting Plasm Wraith and replacing it with Mewtwo.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I know I'd be perfectly happy with it.
Replace Plasm Wraith with Mewtwo.

Other than that, I really, really like this roster. It's got the usual suspects and some spice with BWD RB Space Dragons. Design is pretty rad as well, like the vertical setup. 9.5/10

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Where the hell are people coming up with the logic that Sal didn't leak every newcomer?
Because people say that a certain Cosmic Space Queen apparantly means that Sal didn't leak all the newcomers.
It can go either way, imo. It's why I have two rosters.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Where the hell are people coming up with the logic that Sal didn't leak every newcomer?
Apparently he was supposed to leak Rosalina with the E3 cast.

But he didn't. So that must mean he missed some newcomers in the second leak.

...Not that I agree.

What the hell is a Plasm Wraith even supposed to be?
Pikmin 3. Great game.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Because he never stated otherwise, i mean i'm not saying it's true but as long as the guy didn't say "those are all the newcomers" it can go either way. Also DLC i guess.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Apparently he was supposed to leak Rosalina with the E3 cast.

But he didn't. So that must mean he missed some newcomers in the second leak.

...Not that I agree.
Well considering Rosalina was revealed, there wasn't a point of leaking her in the second batch of newcomers.

That's what we call redundancy, children.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rosalina and Palutena give us hope. Especially regarding characters from already established series.

Aka: Mewtwo, King K.Rool, Ridley, Impa

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace

Alright, how would you feel about this? 52 characters (55 when Miis are usable), on the larger side (at least for me), considers Gematsu Leak, considers other "hints" that could be straw grasping, 4 cuts (Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur), and Jigglypuff retiring (only to be brought out of retirement as first DLC character). Miis and random share a slot.

Blue - confirmed returning vet.
Red - unconfirmed vet.
Green - confirmed newcomer.
Yellow - unconfirmed newcomer.
Purple - unconfirmed, have made an appearance/ related to Gematsu Leak.

I particularly think the arrangement fits nicely, could be a scrolling roster on 3DS and take advantage of widescreen on WiiU.
Mario/Spinoff, Zelda, Sakurai (Kirby/KI), Pokemon, Metroid, Starfox, Fire Emblem, assorted game reps, Retro, Hardware, 3rd Party, Random/Mii.

Ganon(dorf) and Wario shown in Robot Chicken segment of Digital Event, Wario franchise has assist trophies.
G&W because of the Pacman trailer and the Amiibo image.
Ridley heavily teased, the Smash Direct trophy quiz.
Robin, Marshel, Shulk because Gematsu. Could have Chrom and Chorus Men, I just prefer this. Trophy quiz for FE.
KK Rool, Kremlings...
Vaati because Trophy quiz, adds a villain, compliments the Toon side, one of the most reoccurring villains besides Ganon(dorf).
Medusa is a stretch, fills the want for females and villains, the Dark Pit cameo in the Palutena trailer was odd.
Mewtwo "we're thinking about it" roster was likely already decided at that time.
Sceptile to replace Ivy and promote remakes.
Isaac has yet to be seen as an AT and may have made the jump like Little Mac did.

This is basically my best case / favorite scenario at this point. 39 + Mewtwo - 5 + 17 + Miis. Not very likely but I wouldn't complain with this. I could have did more in depth explanations but, have at it.

Edit: Plus there could be characters that are "clones" and share the slot with their "parent," like if Falco were to be cut, he could be a costume swap of Fox. Just speculating.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Alright, how would you feel about this? 52 characters (55 when Miis are usable), on the larger side (at least for me), considers Gematsu Leak, considers other "hints" that could be straw grasping, 4 cuts (Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur), and Jigglypuff retiring (only to be brought out of retirement as first DLC character). Miis and random share a slot.

Blue - confirmed returning vet.
Red - unconfirmed vet.
Green - confirmed newcomer.
Yellow - unconfirmed newcomer.
Purple - unconfirmed, have made an appearance/ related to Gematsu Leak.

I particularly think the arrangement fits nicely, could be a scrolling roster on 3DS and take advantage of widescreen on WiiU.
Mario/Spinoff, Zelda, Sakurai (Kirby/KI), Pokemon, Metroid, Starfox, Fire Emblem, assorted game reps, Retro, Hardware, 3rd Party, Random/Mii.

Ganon(dorf) and Wario shown in Robot Chicken segment of Digital Event, Wario franchise has assist trophies.
G&W because of the Pacman trailer and the Amiibo image.
Ridley heavily teased, the Smash Direct trophy quiz.
Robin, Marshel, Shulk because Gematsu. Could have Chrom and Chorus Men, I just prefer this. Trophy quiz for FE.
KK Rool, Kremlings...
Vaati because Trophy quiz, adds a villain, compliments the Toon side, one of the most reoccurring villains besides Ganon(dorf).
Medusa is a stretch, fills the want for females and villains, the Dark Pit cameo in the Palutena trailer was odd.
Mewtwo "we're thinking about it" roster was likely already decided at that time.
Sceptile to replace Ivy and promote remakes.
Isaac has yet to be seen as an AT and may have made the jump like Little Mac did.

This is basically my best case / favorite scenario at this point. 39 + Mewtwo - 5 + 17 + Miis. Not very likely but I wouldn't complain with this. I could have did more in depth explanations but, have at it.

Edit: Plus there could be characters that are "clones" and share the slot with their "parent," like if Falco were to be cut, he could be a costume swap of Fox. Just speculating.
I really, really like this roster, and that's saying alot, since I hate the idea of Snake and Lucas being cut. The only changes I'd make is to replace Medusa with Dark Pit and to add back Lucas and Snake.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Because he hasn't leaked all his information at once. His leaks have large intervals of time in between them, when he could have leaked all his information at once. There's really no reason for him to leak information gradually like he has been doing. So it's not out of the question that there is still more information he's withholding, or information that perhaps he simply doesn't know.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I really, really like this roster, and that's saying alot, since I hate the idea of Snake and Lucas being cut. The only changes I'd make is to replace Medusa with Dark Pit and to add back Lucas and Snake.
I'm fine with Medusa/Dark Pit/Hades, though Dark Pit seems, to me, like he'll return as an alternate costume but get distinguished by the announcer/crowd, and Hades seems just a bit too boss worthy. I'd like to see Lucas back, I'm just slightly on the doubting side right now. Snake I'm indifferent on.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Because he hasn't leaked all his information at once. His leaks have large intervals of time in between them, when he could have leaked all his information at once. There's really no reason for him to leak information gradually like he has been doing. So it's not out of the question that there is still more information he's withholding, or information that perhaps he simply doesn't know.
Well that's how the tipster gave Salromano information, don't blame Gematsu.
He's not really withholding information.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well that's how the tipster gave Salromano information, don't blame Gematsu.
He's not really withholding information.
If the tipster isn't giving Gematsu all the information at once, I believe that counts as withholding information, am I wrong?

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
If the tipster isn't giving Gematsu all the information at once, I believe that counts as withholding information, am I wrong?
But he means that Sal isn't the one withholding that information, the tipster is.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But he means that Sal isn't the one withholding that information, the tipster is.
Well, the matter of who's actually withholding information isn't really significant to whether or not we'll see newcomers beyond those that were leaked, I think. The only thing that matters is that information is being withheld, and as a result, there exists the possibility that more potential newcomers are being withheld as well.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well, the matter of who's actually withholding information isn't really significant to whether or not we'll see newcomers beyond those that were leaked, I think. The only thing that matters is that information is being withheld, and as a result, there exists the possibility that more potential newcomers are being withheld as well.
Yes i was just saying that if any information is being withheld, Sal Romano isn't the one to blame.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The only reason I disliked him was because he was considered the most likely Zelda newcomer for quite some time, it's the same reason I dislike Toon Zelda.
I don't know, I thought a lot of people found him to be less than likely prior to his de-confirmation. There were a few individuals who thought of him as the most likely, but I don't think there were that many.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai did say that he was thinking about Mewtwo. If the roster was already finalized when he said that (in which he stated the roster was finalized years ago) I think that if there are no more current newcomers that made the cut yet have not been leaked, then DL characters will be a real possibility.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Sakurai did say that he was thinking about Mewtwo. If the roster was already finalized when he said that (in which he stated the roster was finalized years ago) I think that if there are no more current newcomers that made the cut yet have not been leaked, then DL characters will be a real possibility.
If the "we're thinking about it" comment was made after the roster was decide, it's likely Mewtwo was either already on the roster when he made the comment, contending for Greninja's spot, being thought of for DLC, or was not going to be in the game but Sakurai wanted to get our hopes in a twist.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If you want to be technical about it, Sakurai said he was "thinking about it" in response to whether or not Mewtwo's new form (later revealed to be a Mega Evolution) would be in Smash. So another way of interpreting it is that Sakurai may have been thinking about whether or not to incorporate Mega Mewtwo Y into the game, which the most obvious and likely way of doing so would be to make it Mewtwo's Final Smash. Of course, if Mewtwo's Final Smash was being decided upon at the time, then that would mean Mewtwo was already in the game.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I think for new Zelda reps, Impa is the leading "good guy" and Vaati is the leading "bad guy." And the only person who can replace Ganondorf, is Ganon, which I don't know if they would treat it as a newcomer.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I think for new Zelda reps, Impa is the leading "good guy" and Vaati is the leading "bad guy." And the only person who can replace Ganondorf, is Ganon, which I don't know if they would treat it as a newcomer.
Of course it'd be a newcomer, but i'm sure many people would actually have both since then we would have an alternate ego of every Zelda character.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Of course it'd be a newcomer, but i'm sure many people would actually have both since then we would have an alternate ego of every Zelda character.
I guess I'd be okay with that. We have TP Link and WW Link which are different people. TP Zelda and OoT (technically) Shiek, which are different people. I guess we could have TP Ganondorf and LBW Ganon, which would be different beings. Doesn't solve the injustice that is Falcondorf, but I guess it would be an improvement. You could scrap Vaati then. I would just hope Ganondorf isn't Captain Falcon like anymore, with or without the addition of Ganon. But Toon Link doesn't seem any less cloney. Which makes me wonder why Lucas is even in jeopardy. My guess was that custom moves were going to be the end of clones.

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Well considering Rosalina was revealed, there wasn't a point of leaking her in the second batch of newcomers.

That's what we call redundancy, children.
And them why she was not leaked with Little Mac in the first round...if he was revealed officialy after her?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And them why she was not leaked with Little Mac in the first round...if he was revealed officialy after her?
Probably because the initial leak was intended to specifically be characters revealed at E3 2013, and while Little Mac might've originally been planned to be revealed then, Rosalina was not.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Super Smash Bros. Hyper Dream Edition Alpha [line break] Shoot for the Stars

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Besides, we know that the roster was settled in the beginning, or at least the number of characters per franchise was, as Sakurai explained in the Q&A. Greninja wasn't initially settled on, but they had a slot reserved. If the leaker had old information that listed "pokemon from X/Y" which would have been that reserved slot, Rosalina should have been on that list, if she wasn't settled on, there should have been a slot with a vague name. So the fact Rosalina was not on the leaker's list suggests there could be others that evaded the list. If it's insisted she wasn't included because she wasn't tied to E3 or the Smash Direct, then that very logic would support the possibility for more to not be part of the list. Rosalina just shows that there are characters that the leaker was either no aware of or not concerned with. Rosalina could be the only one (why? no clue) and the real question isn't "Is the gematsu leak all we are getting" but "is Rosalina all we're getting outside the gematsu leak." Chalking her lack of presence in the leak up to redundancy is an assumption. It's clear the leaker either didn't know or never intended to leak her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom