• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I know that Falcon is coming back, but if they aren't doing much with him, I don't see the point in him being a secret character since everyone and their grannies know he's in the game, same goes with Ness & Jigglypuff really.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Yikes, those Tingle boxarts are the stuff of nightmares. With Ganondorf more than likely returning as a veteran (and hopefully a brand new moveset), I don't think we'll get a Zelda newcomer, unless Mario and/or Pokemon also get a 6th rep (which might happen with the latter if they decide to make Jigs and Mewtwo return)

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Yikes, those Tingle boxarts are the stuff of nightmares. With Ganondorf more than likely returning as a veteran (and hopefully a brand new moveset), I don't think we'll get a Zelda newcomer, unless Mario and/or Pokemon also get a 6th rep (which might happen with the latter if they decide to make Jigs and Mewtwo return)
And if we do get a sixth Mario rep, I'm placing my bets on Paper Mario

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We already have Tink and Sheik, Ganon would be unique and therefore, people wouldn't care about him at all, Hyrule Warriors is an spin off and if you consider Skyward sword, then ghirahim would get over Impa, anyway
Why would he? Have you even completed Skyward Sword? Up till mid-game, yeah you MIGHT think Ghirahim is more important than Impa. Finish the game however, and you will know it's not the case.

Not even that, but isn't it more logical to chose the character that more people would know off cause she has appeared in far more games?

To me it is.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The idea of having 2 versions of 3 playable characters each of the Zelda franchise is really a bad idea.

Vaati isn't likely at all. He has no actual villain role outside of Minish Cap. Yes, Four Swords. But since when do people give a flying **** about Four Swords?

I'd look more at the characters who are making it into the bigger console titles. Aka: Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors...
I, sir, care about Four Swords! Well; Adventures anyway.
If you could get a group of four together(which was a pain in the ass with four GBAs and four link cables, a Gamecube AND the Adventures game) then the game became one of the most fun times I've ever had playing a Zelda game.

I also would very much like Vaati to be one of the playable cast on Hyrule Warriors. Although Impa is currently the one I'm most pumped about playing. Followed by Midna.

Also I think it might be a little too early to class Hyrule Warriors as a bigger console title until post release. But I certainly hope you're right because this seems like a fun spinoff.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why is it so much of a problem that Zelda has 1 more character? It has been this way since Brawl ever since Dr.Mario got cut. :rolleyes: Pokémon will very likely get both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. DKC also should have a newcomer. So it all balances out very nicely.

And why WOULDN"T the two biggest franchises of Nintendo left -Donkey Kong Country and the Legend of Zelda- get a newcomer this time around? Are King K.Rool, Dixie Kong and Impa lesser namesakes than the likes of Greninja and Rosalina? I wouldn't think so!

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Why would he? Have you even completed Skyward Sword? Up till mid-game, yeah you MIGHT think Ghirahim is more important than Impa. Finish the game however, and you will know it's not the case.

Not even that, but isn't it more logical to chose the character that more people would know off cause she has appeared in far more games?

To me it is.
I have played the game and love it, Ghirahim is the main show until the last 5 minutes when demise appears, Ghirahim is the one started the events of the game and Zelda would have probably never met Impa if it wasn't for Ghirahim, I would say that Ghirahim is more important than Impa in skyward sword, So why are supporting Anthony, a one off who by your logic will never get in over the main villain that has appeared in most games of their franchise? It seems that appereances matter but only when they benefit somebody you want
Also by this logic then you can't say that Impa would make more sense than Ganon, who is a far more recurring character in the franchise, so by this logic then it will be Ganon or no one

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have played the game and love it, Ghirahim is the main show until the last 5 minutes when demise appears, Ghirahim is the one started the events of the game and Zelda would have probably never met Impa if it wasn't for Ghirahim, I would say that Ghirahim is more important than Impa in skyward sword, So why are supporting Anthony, a one off who by your logic will never get in over the main villain that has appeared in most games of their franchise? It seems that appereances matter but only when they benefit somebody you want
Also by this logic then you can't say that Impa would make more sense than Ganon, who is a far more recurring character in the franchise, so by this logic then it will be Ganon or no one
Anthony Higgs isn't even part of this discussion! Man, how do you expect to take you seriously like this? I already said: Anthony Higgs was just FAR MORE likely than Ridley, NEVER more deserving. Ridley, in fact, never was likely since the moment Pyro Sphere came up.

And I also said: Anthony Higg's chances have basically been killed off once the Gunner Miifighter showed up. So long for a Metroid newcomer!

Ghirahim is as much of an one-off as Anthony Higgs is. I cannot keep on a discussion about how a long lasting, soon to be playable character in the franchise >>> a one-off villain in a series that has a 10.000 or so of these. Example: Majora, Yuga, Nightmare, Zant, Bellum...

However, Anthony Higgs has one advantage: Metroid has an EXTREMELY ****ty supporting cast. And seeing as side-kicks often make it in before villains, and Ridley was in an extremely bad situation (and still is), what is a man to do who would like to see a Metroid character? Support the Mysterious Black Man. Especially since Samus is in Other M design.

*sigh* Why do I have to explain logic? :rolleyes:

Impa is not as re-occuring as Ganon, no of course not. But there's a reason they went with GanonDORF in the first place : it's Ganon but in humanoid form. It just suits much better as a fighter, and Ganon has been Ganondorf's Final Smash since Brawl. IT WILL VERY LIKELY REMAIN HIS FINAL SMASH. I won't explain why, as I also already did this before.

Then there's also the 2 Links, 2 Zeldas, 2 Ganons fiasco. It just looks ugly.

Impa is easily the best Zelda character suited for Smash left. She wasn't announced in Hyrule Warriors as a 2nd character for nothing! In fact, Nintendo has shown interesst in having a female protagonist in Zelda. With the rate Impa is going now, it might very well be her one day. Especially if Hyrule Warrios is to become a success. And with playable Zelda, and the return of Ganondorf... I think a lot of Zelda fans would really love to play it! It's like the ultimate fan-service game for Zelda fans. Canon or not, it's popularity is the only thing what will count in the end.

Also the fact they seem to go for a more stabilised design for Impa is a good sign for her as a re-occuring character in Zelda. Just check this image:

Impa has had a revival role in Skyward Sword, and is likely there to stay. I say she should be welcomed in Smash because of this!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Impa is shaping up to be Zelda's Rosalina. I'm actually far more accepting of her as Sheik's spot is as good as confirmed for all coming Smash games, and Impa now has a style of her own instead of being similar to Sheik.

I still regret Tingle's disconfirmation though. (He would have been an awesome troll character while not being a surprise pick)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa is shaping up to be Zelda's Rosalina. I'm actually far more accepting of her as Sheik's spot is as good as confirmed for all coming Smash games, and Impa now has a style of her own instead of being similar to Sheik.

I still regret Tingle's disconfirmation though. (He would have been an awesome troll character while not being a surprise pick)
Thanks Fal. I know you hated the idea before, but eventually: all what I always said was about to happen to Impa in regard to character development in the series turned out to be true.

I dunno man, I think I might be psychic or something.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I like Impa a lot better now, after seeing her true potential in Hyrule Warriors.

However we may have to wait until next Smash.
I don't think Impa will be happening this time.

I'm rooting for Impa and Tingle next round.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Anthony Higgs isn't even part of this discussion! Man, how do you expect to take you seriously like this? I already said: Anthony Higgs was just FAR MORE likely than Ridley, NEVER more deserving. Ridley, in fact, never was likely since the moment Pyro Sphere came up.

And I also said: Anthony Higg's chances have basically been killed off once the Gunner Miifighter showed up. So long for a Metroid newcomer!

Ghirahim is as much of an one-off as Anthony Higgs is. I cannot keep on a discussion about how a long lasting, soon to be playable character in the franchise >>> a one-off villain in a series that has a 10.000 or so of these. Example: Majora, Yuga, Nightmare, Zant, Bellum...

However, Anthony Higgs has one advantage: Metroid has an EXTREMELY ****ty supporting cast. And seeing as side-kicks often make it in before villains, and Ridley was in an extremely bad situation (and still is), what is a man to do who would like to see a Metroid character? Support the Mysterious Black Man. Especially since Samus is in Other M design.

*sigh* Why do I have to explain logic? :rolleyes:

Impa is not as re-occuring as Ganon, no of course not. But there's a reason they went with GanonDORF in the first place : it's Ganon but in humanoid form. It just suits much better as a fighter, and Ganon has been Ganondorf's Final Smash since Brawl. IT WILL VERY LIKELY REMAIN HIS FINAL SMASH. I won't explain why, as I also already did this before.

Then there's also the 2 Links, 2 Zeldas, 2 Ganons fiasco. It just looks ugly.

Impa is easily the best Zelda character suited for Smash left. She wasn't announced in Hyrule Warriors as a 2nd character for nothing! In fact, Nintendo has shown interesst in having a female protagonist in Zelda. With the rate Impa is going now, it might very well be her one day. Especially if Hyrule Warrios is to become a success. And with playable Zelda, and the return of Ganondorf... I think a lot of Zelda fans would really love to play it! It's like the ultimate fan-service game for Zelda fans. Canon or not, it's popularity is the only thing what will count in the end.

Also the fact they seem to go for a more stabilised design for Impa is a good sign for her as a re-occuring character in Zelda. Just check this image:

Impa has had a revival role in Skyward Sword, and is likely there to stay. I say she should be welcomed in Smash because of this!
And how I am supposed to take you seriously when you contradict yourself WITH YOUR OWN LOGIC and is a complete hypocrite the most of the time, So you claim to know what Sakurai thinks? WHAT IF GANONDORF GETS A REVAMP? WHAT IF GANONDORF GETS A NEW FINAL SMASH? You are already making assumptions WITHOUT ANYTHING TO BACK THEM, we already have 2 zeldas and 2 links, Impa would make the zelda reps look even uglier, Ganon has more potential than Impa anyway and is more popular, also your logic is "GHIRAHIM, VAATI, ETC CANNOT GET OVER IMPA BECAUSE THEY ONLY APPEAR IN ONE GAME BUT IMPA CAN GET OVER GANON BECAUSE OF MY FANMADE RULE THAT THERE CAN'T BE 2 GANON'S, the problem is that Eiji implied there will be a lot of characters in the game, Impa was revealed first, good for her, she will be 1 of the many characters in the game, Sheik already killed all Impa chances of being playable, you should be happy if she manages to be a trophy unlike Brawl, where she was only a sticker if I recall, let's be honest, other than your fan made rule that "there can't be two ganon's" then Ganon is the perfect zelda newcomer, popular, unique, recurring, important, recent,would represent the A link to the Past timeline, etc, Impa will probably not happen, at least this time

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Paper Mario is a Paper Mario character. He's even less associated with the Super Mario series than Donkey Kong and Yoshi are.
Ummm... No. Paper Mario is far more associated with the Super Mario series than Donkey Kong. You see Goombas running around on Donkey Kong Island? I haven't seen Bowser anywhere either... Shy Guys maybe? Also not! But they where in Yoshi's Island to! Ohh wait... Donkey Kong actually ISN'T as much as a Mario "sub-franchise" as I thought!?

What an enlightening surprise!

Also: Ghirahim is the most likely Zelda newcomer because duhhh.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I will never understand why some people want Pig Ganondorf playable. You would think they gave Ganon a human form for a reason. I even seen demands going as far as requesting Pig Ganon from the SNES days.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Hyrule Warriors makes every Zelda character important, just saying. Impa will probably keep the minor roles again as new Zelda installments come. I do like the big sword she has though.

I will never understand why some people want Pig Ganondorf playable. You would think they gave Ganon a human form for a reason. I even seen demands going as far as requesting Pig Ganon from the SNES days.
They gave Ganondorf human form because Sakurai was making last minute clones during Melee's development.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I do like how a Ganon would give a duplicate of every Zelda character. The series is known for different parallel worlds and time streams.

But I still feel like Ghirahim has the best shot out of possible Zelda newcomers. He has flair.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I do like how a Ganon would give a duplicate of every Zelda character. The series is known for different parallel worlds and time streams.

But I still feel like Ghirahim has the best shot out of possible Zelda newcomers. He has flair.
I would've said the same to Midna if I were in the Brawl speculation circle, and look what happened to her.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Ummm... No. Paper Mario is far more associated with the Super Mario series than Donkey Kong. You see Goombas running around on Donkey Kong Island? I haven't seen Bowser anywhere either... Shy Guys maybe? Also not! But they where in Yoshi's Island to! Ohh wait... Donkey Kong actually ISN'T as much as a Mario "sub-franchise" as I thought!?

What an enlightening surprise!
Okay, those were a poor choice of words. I realize that. That's no reason to be so rude about it, sheesh.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah funny that, the reason Ganondorf got in is because he has a similar build to Falcon.

And I prefer Pig Ganon because I like that the big bad guy for a game set on a fantastical world full of monsters is a monster himself. His design is very reminiscent to classic 80's anime as well, which I'm very fond of.

Furthermore, Smash is very light on 2D Zelda representation. Personally, as someone who prefers 2D Zelda, I'd like that to be addressed. I associate with the more childish Link in these games than adult Link in 3D Zeldas.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would've said the same to Midna if I were in the Brawl speculation circle, and look what happened to her.
I still think he has the best chance. There is a big possibility that there will be no Zelda newcomer (although the existing cast did get some new moves).

Maybe DLC.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Man I just had a weird dream that Wolf in a shrunken Fox-like form, a Wario variant called "Third Stage Final Wario" (who was like Wario in a space suit that fought with rocket gloves like ZSS boots), and Gary the Snail from Spongebob (in hyper-realistic form) were all revealed today, on Saturday, even though the site doesn't even update today.

It was one of those vivid dreams that feels incredibly real too, so I was 100% convinced and losing my s*** in disbelief over the choices. And no I'm not making this up. As part of the dream, I searched the boards and found nothing on the Wario or Gary, but found Wolf, and was convinced that I had woken up and actually had Wolf be confirmed, which got me super excited. It was only when I fully woke up that I realized it was all a weird dream. But now I'm disappointed because Wolf hasn't been confirmed. Damn.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I actually like Impa's Hyrule Warriors design the best.
My only gripe with the design is that she has a bit too pale of a skintone for a Sheikah. Both of her other ninja designs have her with more olive-complected skin, and I think that did a good job of making her look distinct from the Hylians.

Other than that, the design is perfect.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I really doubt there will be newcomer DLC. Unless it means having last minute semi-clones as DLC (Such as the Forbidden 7 in Brawl), I seriously doubt we'll get newcomers with original movesets.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well, Sonic delayed Brawl. He was popular and Sakurai decided to add him.

I think he should add at least one unique DLC. There should be a poll.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I actually really like the Falcondwarf that we have. My friend mains him, and is incredibly hard to beat. I feel that a new moveset would be best utilized on a newcomer from the Zelda series.

D

Deleted member

In terms of DLC, I'm hoping for stages. It makes sense. Both stage rosters are different, while both character rosters are the same. I would totally buy DLC characters if they happen, but I think stages are much more likely.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I'm still against character DLC. To me, having character DLC really trashes the novelty of having those characters.

For DLC, I'd only want costumes, and possibly stages as well.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sonic's situation was different, It would probably be Mewtwo as the only unique DLC since he's a cut veteran.
I do not think the situation was that different. If Sakurai decided for DLC, he might just have released Brawl and had Sonic as a free download.

I can see Sceptile available along with the release of the remade pokemon game. I am sure Sakurai has a list of characters and some were lower priority. But can now be added.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, those were a poor choice of words. I realize that. That's no reason to be so rude about it, sheesh.
Sorry.
And how I am supposed to take you seriously when you contradict yourself WITH YOUR OWN LOGIC and is a complete hypocrite the most of the time, So you claim to know what Sakurai thinks? WHAT IF GANONDORF GETS A REVAMP? WHAT IF GANONDORF GETS A NEW FINAL SMASH? You are already making assumptions WITHOUT ANYTHING TO BACK THEM, we already have 2 zeldas and 2 links, Impa would make the zelda reps look even uglier, Ganon has more potential than Impa anyway and is more popular, also your logic is "GHIRAHIM, VAATI, ETC CANNOT GET OVER IMPA BECAUSE THEY ONLY APPEAR IN ONE GAME BUT IMPA CAN GET OVER GANON BECAUSE OF MY FANMADE RULE THAT THERE CAN'T BE 2 GANON'S, the problem is that Eiji implied there will be a lot of characters in the game, Impa was revealed first, good for her, she will be 1 of the many characters in the game, Sheik already killed all Impa chances of being playable, you should be happy if she manages to be a trophy unlike Brawl, where she was only a sticker if I recall, let's be honest, other than your fan made rule that "there can't be two ganon's" then Ganon is the perfect zelda newcomer, popular, unique, recurring, important, recent,would represent the A link to the Past timeline, etc, Impa will probably not happen, at least this time
I explained myself well enough. I do not claim to know Sakurai or what he's thinking. That'd be impossible to do. After all, his mind is too complex for mortal humans to comprehend.

How would Impa be uglier than 2 Links, 2 Zeldas and 2 Ganons actually?

Ganondorf may very well get a revamp. But have the revamps of Zelda, Sheik, Link or Bowser lead to them getting new Final Smashes? Wouldn't think so. Ganondorf also won't be cut for Ganon, as he has showed up in the E3 short movie which was based on Robot Chicken. And, in TP form.

Is it really that hard for you to understand that it's more than 98% likely that Ganondorf will have Ganon as a Final Smash?

How has Sheik killed Impa's chances actually? As far as I can tell, Hyrule Warrior's Impa seems to fight NOTHING like Sheik. It'd be like comparing Marth and Ike as this point. Stupid.

Eiji might've said there's a lot of playable characters. Sure. But what exactly will that mean? The Zelda franchise isn't EXACTLY KNOWN for having a big cast of playable characters. Also; Impa got shown first. Even before Zelda and Midna. They are very likely doing this for SOME kind of purpose.

So now, what exactly would be the problem of having Impa playable? As far as I can see: she still has one major thing going on for her: she's acchieved playable status in the Zelda franchise. Sheik never had this. Neither did Ganon or Ganondorf.

Know why Rosalina, for example got into Smash? Playable status. It's actually a real big ****ing thing.

My problem with you is that you insist your choice >> my choice. I actually would like a playable Ganon. And Impa fighting Ghirahim would be a nice thing to see in Smash. But, I just don't see either happening. And I think most people who are expecting a Zelda newcomer in a way will agree that Impa is just a more likely choice than either of the two.

But stay mad if you like. I won't care.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'm still against character DLC. To me, having character DLC really trashes the novelty of having those characters.

For DLC, I'd only want costumes, and possibly stages as well.
I agree with it partially, it trashes the novelty, and it honestly feels like more a fanservice thing than a newcomer actually getting in the main roster for great merits. Which is why I doubt we'll get Waddle Dee, Isaac, Robin, or Toad as playable DLC anytime soon until the next installment.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I do not think DLC trashes the novelty. Sakurai can either have a longer development time to add more characters or release the game and have characters for download later to inject more excitement into the game. These games are made every five years or so, filling the gap with new features would be nice.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Pfffffffffffffffffft Sceptile. PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTT no.

Also I doubt he'll throw in character DLC because the whole "adding characters isn't addition but multiplication" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom