• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'd hardly call Young Link a cut, since they basically turned him into Toon Link. Sucks that he lost his fire arrows, though; that would help make him more unique, especially since adult Link now has a Gale Boomerang.
I don't count Young Link or Pichu as cuts. Young Link for the reasons you mentioned, and Pichu because... eh....
I only have them in my sig because it rounds off nicely to 20 characters, and for completeness.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So I just wanted to bring up this interview. http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html We know that Greninja was added before he became "hot", so could there be another "hot" Pokemon that was added?
Yes.

Anyone that mentions Sceptile is wrong. :troll:
Seriously though, Sceptile's no "hot" new Pokemon. He's as "hot" as Blaziken and Swampert.
In reality he has no merit aside from the "obligatory" typing triangle that we already have.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So I just wanted to bring up this interview. http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html We know that Greninja was added before he became "hot", so could there be another "hot" Pokemon that was added?
Being "hot" won't guarantee you to be in Smash, but sure, there's still hope for Mewtwo to return, but I'm not getting my hopes too high in case he doesn't make it. Heck, I could see a lot of Pokemon DLC characters assuming Gematsu is real. Some including Blastoise, Delphox, Sceptile, too much for one post.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The "Type Triangle" is laughable. Sceptile will not get in before Blaziken. And I don't think Blaziken will get in, unless they have room after Mewtwo and Jigglypuff.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I brought something like this up a couple days ago...

I don't think Greninja fits with the "hot" part. Unless the PC/GF decided at the beginning to make Greninja popular (like, make him good competitively, cool "ninja" design, etc.) due to bias, thus making this frog a popular X/Y pick, especially for the competitive scene. But still, X/Y wasn't even released when Greninja was picked, so it wasn't because of popularity... but I can't shake the feeling that GF pushed for Greninja. Smash makes characters popular and get recognition, after all. I just hope as to why Greninja was chosen doesn't end up causing misconceptions in the future (especially if people don't understand that he was chosen before the release of X/Y -- if they waited on X/Y's release, it would have been "too late").

If I got to choose any X/Y starter, I think I would pick Chesnaught (as much as I love Delphox) because he could fit an interesting archetype of being a heavyweight, armoured tank. Some more heavyweights would be cool, because they always seem to be underrepresented in Smash. And we need some more to balance out all the mid-lightweights.

But yeah, Mewtwo fits Sakurai's Pokemon criteria to a T. I'd like to know exactly why Sakurai voluntarily came out of the audience and said, "We are thinking about it" when someone asked if Mewtwo's new Y form is going to be in Smash, in the Pokémon X/Y Roundtable. Greninja was chosen at the start of development... this was in what, 2012? Why would Sakurai consider adding Mewtwo (or any fighter) a year+ after the roster was more or less finalized (the Roundtable was in June 2013)? Unless if Sakurai was hinting at implanting Mewtwo's Y form specifically (maybe as a FS), but then Sakurai indirectly confirmed Mewtwo... or if they are considering Mewtwo as DLC... I dunno.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah, I brought something like this up a couple days ago...

I don't think Greninja fits with the "hot" part. Unless the PC/GF decided at the beginning to make Greninja popular (like, make him good competitively, cool "ninja" design, etc.) due to bias, thus making this frog a popular X/Y pick, especially for the competitive scene. But still, X/Y wasn't even released when Greninja was picked, so it wasn't because of popularity... but I can't shake the feeling that GF pushed for Greninja. Smash makes characters popular and get recognition, after all. I just hope as to why Greninja was chosen doesn't end up causing misconceptions in the future (especially if people don't understand that he was chosen before the release of X/Y -- if they waited on X/Y's release, it would have been "too late").

If I got to choose any X/Y starter, I think I would pick Chesnaught (as much as I love Delphox) because he could fit an interesting archetype of being a heavyweight, armoured tank. Some more heavyweights would be cool, because they always seem to be underrepresented in Smash. And we need some more to balance out all the mid-lightweights.

But yeah, Mewtwo fits Sakurai's Pokemon criteria to a T. I'd like to know exactly why Sakurai voluntarily came out of the audience and said, "We are thinking about it" when someone asked if Mewtwo's new Y form is going to be in Smash, in the Pokémon X/Y Roundtable. Greninja was chosen at the start of development... this was in what, 2012? Why would Sakurai consider adding Mewtwo (or any fighter) a year+ after the roster was more or less finalized (the Roundtable was in June 2013)? Unless if Sakurai was hinting at implanting Mewtwo's Y form specifically (maybe as a FS), but then Sakurai indirectly confirmed Mewtwo... or if they are considering Mewtwo as DLC... I dunno.
Maybe they're debating whether to use Mewtwo's Mega X or Y form.

I don't really see an issue in terms of new models for his Final Smash, due to Giga Bowser and the Landmaster.

Aeolia

Smash Cadet
We could get a pic of the day where Pokémon Trainer gets confirmed as an assist trophy that summons 6 Sceptiles.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Maybe they're debating whether to use Mewtwo's Mega X or Y form.

I don't really see an issue in terms of new models for his Final Smash, due to Giga Bowser and the Landmaster.
That's the thing though... if they were debating whether to use a Mega form for Mewtwo, then Sakurai would have indirectly confirmed Mewtwo (Mewtwo most likely would have been in the game already, way before the interview). It's kinda confusing either way... who knows really lol.

Anyway, what I'd really love to see is a standalone Pokemon Trainer (or a person in general). Someone who fights without Pokemon (though summoning 1 or 2 is okay for me). I know it probably won't happen, especially since the Pokemon themselves seem to be the stars and icons of the franchise. However, if the day ever comes, I think it would be a hilarious idea.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Alright, finally got myself a 54 character roster that I'm satisfied with. Since things seem to have died down, I'll spice the place up by showing it off. I'll then proceed to watch, and participate in, the chaos that follows.

Remember to keep in mind that this is my wish roster, but I also wanted to keep it reasonable.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Alright, finally got myself a 54 character roster that I'm satisfied with. Since things seem to have died down, I'll spice the place up by showing it off. I'll then proceed to watch, and participate in, the chaos that follows.

Remember to keep in mind that this is my wish roster, but I also wanted to keep it reasonable.
I'm digging it.
As long as Impa uses her giant-fricken-sword from Hyrule Warriors.
And is that Marshall?

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Props for having the masked man 9.5/10 because i still don't like Impa and i would rather have Isaac instead.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I'm digging it.
As long as Impa uses her giant-fricken-sword from Hyrule Warriors.
And is that Marshall?
Thanks! That is Marshal, and yes, Impa must use that sword that puts the Ragnell to shame.

Props for having the masked man 9.5/10 because i still don't like Impa and i would rather have Isaac instead.
Thank you! I damn near cried when I took him out of my roster after the Smash Direct. I am so pleased to have him back. As most here probably know, he is my #1 most wanted. Also, not liking the idea of Impa is a respectable opinion. You will be happy to know that if I didn't have Impa, Isaac would have been the immediate next choice.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The lack of Pig Ganon in these wishlist rosters is saddening, but understandable.
I kinda dig Masked Man, though I see him more as Assist Trophy material. Now Porky, on the other hand...
(Wow, I really like pigs)

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Impa would be quite interesting for Smash, I love her Hyrule Warriors design.
Hyrule Warriors is what made me like her so much as a choice. She has been given much more moveset potential that would be really fun to see in Smash.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The lack of Pig Ganon in these wishlist rosters is saddening, but understandable.
I kinda dig Masked Man, though I see him more as Assist Trophy material. Now Porky, on the other hand...
(Wow, I really like pigs)
Mine.
There Are Too Many Characters Roster.png

I mean, it's at the expense of Ganondorf, but, honestly, we should have had Ganon from the start, plus, replacing Ganondorf with Ganon isn't that different from a revamped Ganondorf, really.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, here's what probably will be my last prediction roster:

Characters with green borders are newcomers, characters with red borders are alts.

The 3rd Fire Emblem slot is an Awakening character (Chrom or Robin/Avatar/Tactician). The placeholder Pokémon slots are two out of Jigglypuff, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Mewtwo.

Newcomers: Rosalina & Luma, Palutena, new Fire Emblem character, Greninja, Villager, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters, Chorus Men, Shulk, Mega Man and Pac-Man for a total of 12.

Cuts from Brawl: Snake (as much as I'd like him to return, I feel he won't happen), two or three Pokémon characters out of Ivysaur, Jigglypuff and Squirtle depending if Mewtwo returns or not.

Total number of characters: 49

Alts (aesthetic changes like model or voices with no impact on gameplay): Dry Bowser (for Bowser), Classic Wario (for Wario), Dark Pit (for Pit), Wireframe Mac (for Little Mac), male Wii Fit Trainer (for Wii Fit Trainer) and Ms. Pac-Man (for Pac-Man).

Feel free to comment on it (or not).

Last edited:

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Yeah, I say revamp Ganondorf's moveset and then replace Beast Ganon with Pig Ganon as a final smash. I dont think PG is that deserving of his own character, especially not over Ganondorf.

(EDIT to avoid double post)

Characters with green borders are newcomers, characters with red borders are alts.

The 3rd Fire Emblem slot is an Awakening character (Chrom or Robin/Avatar/Tactician). The placeholder Pokémon slots are two out of Jigglypuff, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Mewtwo.

Newcomers: Rosalina & Luma, Palutena, new Fire Emblem character, Greninja, Villager, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters, Chorus Men, Shulk, Mega Man and Pac-Man for a total of 12.

Cuts from Brawl: Snake (as much as I'd like him to return, I feel he won't happen), two or three Pokémon characters out of Ivysaur, Jigglypuff and Squirtle depending if Mewtwo returns or not.

Alts (aesthetic changes like model or voices with no impact on gameplay): Dry Bowser (for Bowser), Classic Wario (for Wario), Dark Pit (for Pit), Wireframe Mac (for Little Mac), male Wii Fit Trainer (for Wii Fit Trainer) and Ms. Pac-Man (for Pac-Man).

I feel that this is the most likely roster at this point. The only thing I might change is drop one of the Mother kids and add some sort of newcomer not mentioned in the Gematsu leak.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

I like it. Good, balanced pics, guesses on alts, and fair sizing.
This is perfectly viable, I'd say.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Yeah, I say revamp Ganondorf's moveset and then replace Beast Ganon with Pig Ganon as a final smash. I dont think PG is that deserving of his own character, especially not over Ganondorf.
Why not? He's the original villain of Zelda and has been in way more games than Ganondorf. The reason we had Young Link and now Toon Link is that in most games Link is a child, and Sakurai felt that aspect should be represented. That being the case, wouldn't it make sense to also represent the more common form of the main antagonist? He's more deserving than Sheik, at the very least.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So, dumb question: Why do so many people want Ghirahim?

I mean, he's cool for a villain, no denying that. But if I had to choose a Zelda newcomer for a game of Nintendo all-stars, I wouldn't put my money on the one-shot villain.

Impa at least has been in more than one game. Granted, they can't decide whether she's an old lady or a ninja, but her name is spoken across more generations than his. Or Vaati! They brought back Toon Link, why not the one-shot-to-reoccurring villain?

Though it looks unlikely at this point, my number one most wanted Zelda newcomer is Pig Ganon. Not as a Final Smash, but his own character.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Ehh... I'll be honest, this roster is safe, but extremely boring as a result of that. This is exactly the reason I'm hoping for a 51 or more character roster: With all brawl characters + gematsu + rosalina, it not only forces at least 2 cuts to fit it into 49 characters but it also requires another cut to get another character in (such as Snake being cut here to get that extra Pokemon slot). 51 chars at least allows for either no cuts from Brawl (very very unlikely, sorry Squirtle and Ivysaur) or for 2 other newcomers / Mewtwo to get in.
But, what can you do? If this is what we get I can at least be happy with Shulk, Mega Man and Little Mac. I also like how you included alts for the characters btw, also how you left the FE and Pokemon slots open, there's something you don't see normally with these rosters.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well this is my prodiction

Ridley: go ahead and complain hes not getting in but if august 6th is when the direct is and its another smash direct prepare yourselfs. (And basicly go look at the whole ridley thread for proof.)

R.H rep: yes i do think its the chorus men but just making sure just incase its another one.

Mewtwo: way to much evidence supports him
  1. Look at the interview on how he picks pokemon reps
  2. Look at all of the promotion mewtwo has done.
  3. Most request character even above ridley
  4. Sakurai listen to the fans this time around best example tripping is gone (besides by the banana peel)
  5. Mewtwo was supose to be in all of the smash bros games including 64
  6. There was 6 playable pokemon in brawl not 4 thats why i think just going back to 6 is likely

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Well this is my prodiction

Ridley: go ahead and complain hes not getting in but if august 6th is when the direct is and its another smash direct prepare yourselfs. (And basicly go look at the whole ridley thread for proof.)

R.H rep: yes i do think its the chorus men but just making sure just incase its another one.

Mewtwo: way to much evidence supports him
  1. Look at the interview on how he picks pokemon reps
  2. Look at all of the promotion mewtwo has done.
  3. Most request character even above ridley
  4. Sakurai listen to the fans this time around best example tripping is gone (besides by the banana peel)
  5. Mewtwo was supose to be in all of the smash bros games including 64
  6. There was 6 playable pokemon in brawl not 4 thats why i think just going back to 6 is likely
There's a direct on August 6th?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
August 6 is incidentally Rhythm Heaven's anniversary, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom