• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khoru

Smash Champion
1. Tessie
2. Tessie with a hat
3. Tessie disguised as Plessie
4. Tessie and the Bubble Monkey
5. Cattlesnake

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
1. Lucas
This is only if Lucas will truly be cut. I don't think we'll see another Mother character honestly.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Who knows how Sakurai works this time. During Brawl I kinda expected the likes of Dedede and Olimar to be unlockables but in the end they all winded up being starters with the exception of the third parties. So either he decided to be cool with revealing more unlockables or he still works in that way and only :4sonic::4megaman: and :4pacman: will wind up as unlockables by the game's release. (And even that may even change)

Not to mention if he's cool with revealing all unlockables, then he sure is taking his sweet time revealing the rest of them. I kinda really only expect him to reveal Ice Climbers, (Lucas?) Wario and Meta Knight up until the game's Japanese release up to this point. (Maybe Ness, Captain Falcon and Snake too)

I don't know, but I guess I'll just stick with them being starters for now...
I think we have a *few* unlockable characters shown off; almost certainly the third parties and luigi. I firmly believe Lucario is a starter now; he is a massively popular flagship pokemon that many younger kids are going to want to play.

When looking at the vast majority of the veterans that are not revealed it becomes clear that a vast majority of them are old. I'm wondering if that is a potential theme Sakurai could be considering for unlocking things? Newer characters or characters that are very important to their franchise are available right off the bat and more obscure and older characters are unlockables. As a theme it fits; unlocking new characters is a little lesson into Nintendo history.

Of the veterans that have not been revealed, there are the following classifications in my mind.

Likely unlockable (older characters)

Lucas
Ness
Ice Climbers
Captain Falcon
Falco
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
Wolf

The veterans that do not appear in this list are Wario, Meta Knight, Pokemon Trainer, Ganondorf, Snake, and Melee clones. It seems very unlikely that we'll see Melee clones or Pokemon Trainer back, and Snake is up in the air as well. Ganondorf seems to be permanently unlockable; personally I suspect he's unlockable because he's the closest thing Smash has to a truly evil character. Playing a villain in Nintendo games is very unusual and should therefore be a reward. This logic also makes me believe characters like Ridley and K.Rool are likely hidden if they are in the game. Wario and Meta Knight are the only two that don't really fit this sort of pattern and so I think we'll see them soon enough.

On a side note, I really thought Greninja and Rosalina would be unlockable; I can't say why in Greninja's case but in Rosalina's case the idea that some poor child who's never touched a smash game before could play her as their first character is strange given how complex she is to use efficiently.

This also makes me think that we might see older newcomers as unlockables and younger newcomers as starters; I guess this means the Gematsu leak trio that remain are likely starters? I have mixed feelings on that. I expect ICs to be hidden this time around and I would not be shocked if Wario & Meta Knight are well although I really can't say why in that case.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Lucas will be unlockable if Ness is a starter; likewise, Ness will be unlockable if Lucas is a starter.

Or, knock on wood, Lucas just isn't in the game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I highly doubt Ice Climbers will be unlockable, there's just no reason they would be. If they have to make any previously starter unlockable it's probably going to be Meta Knight, it fits him a ton more.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Even Palutena? Seems very fishy if you asked me.
Seems to be the case from the looks of things, I honestly don't know how Sakurai plays his cards this time around, but we are likely to see some unlockables once the 3DS version hits Japan as I can't really see him reveal all the veterans from here until release really.

When looking at the vast majority of the veterans that are not revealed it becomes clear that a vast majority of them are old. I'm wondering if that is a potential theme Sakurai could be considering for unlocking things? Newer characters or characters that are very important to their franchise are available right off the bat and more obscure and older characters are unlockables. As a theme it fits; unlocking new characters is a little lesson into Nintendo history.
Perhaps, there may also be a possibility that some of them are unlockable in one version but a starter in the other.

What I mean is something like Luigi and Toon Link are starters on the Wii U version but unlockable on the 3DS version and Lucario and Marth are starters on the 3DS version but unlockable on the Wii U version.

Guess we will have to wait and see about that... :/

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I don't know.
Luigi has been unlockable in the three games before this. He could've just revealed him for the Year of Luigi.
Same with Toon Link and Wind Waker HD. He could've just wanted them out of the way now since we expected them.
If that's the case then it raises the chances that game and watch is cut. If Sakurai is revealing all characters, even hidden ones, then its safe too assume that game and watch isn't returning due to him not being confirmed on the website after being shown.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
If that's the case then it raises the chances that game and watch is cut. If Sakurai is revealing all characters, even hidden ones, then its safe too assume that game and watch isn't returning due to him not being confirmed on the website after being shown.
He may not be revealing all hidden characters yet; just the ones he has a reason to. Also, Mr. Game & Watch tends to be one of the harder characters to unlock so he could be someone who just hasn't been revealed yet. The same goes for Captain Falcon and Ness, since they don't have any reason to be shown off yet.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I'm not really familiar with Falco, but what separates him from Fox? Because to me, it looks like his major selling point is a slower, flinch-inducing blaster and a kick reflector, and customized movesets might make Falco less unique in that regard.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
So I'm not really familiar with Falco, but what separates him from Fox? Because to me, it looks like his major selling point is a slower, flinch-inducing blaster and a kick reflector, and customized movesets might make Falco less unique in that regard.
He has a cool personality and is a flat out awesome character.

But I mean... considering how little they tried with giving Mario customizable move sets, who's to say that Fox won't be the same way, leaving Falco to be his own guy?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He's a much more defensive character. Whereas Fox is super aggressive, Falco is much more patient and can keep his distance better. Whereas Fox can rack up damage quicker, Falco has more KO options. Falco is also better at pressuring whereas Fox is a combo monster. There's also other properties like Falco having a much higher jump and higher traction.
There's so many more differences that set them apart, but let's just say that's the general gist of it. They have very different playstyles, and I personally vastly prefer Falco over Fox because he fits my style better.

That's talking Melee only, someone else could fill you on the differences between Brawl Fox and Falco. (I only play Falco in that game)

Personally, I find Melee Falco way more interesting than "unique" characters in his design.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
He has a cool personality and is a flat out awesome character.

But I mean... considering how little they tried with giving Mario customizable move sets, who's to say that Fox won't be the same way, leaving Falco to be his own guy?
I meant moveset-wise.

Because even though Lucas is much more interesting as a character than Ness (in my opinion) people seem prettty dead-set on him being cut because of some leak and his clone status.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Wat?
It could've just been a reference to the two being made in 1980. That in no way means he's cut.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I meant moveset-wise.

Because even though Lucas is much more interesting as a character than Ness (in my opinion) people seem prettty dead-set on him being cut because of some leak and his clone status.
To be honest I'm not too sure either. The moveset customization could change a lot regarding the roster. But I wouldn't worry too much about either of them if we still have Toon Link, and he's the one semi-clone that has the most similarities to the original.

This does offer an interesting idea though. Perhaps Falco and Lucas are being heavily re-worked? We've seen it with Bowser, Zelda, Shiek, and Pit. Who's to say that Falco and Lucas aren't given completely new specials?

That might be a bit unlikely, but I do think Lucas has more unique attributes to him. Namely his Rope Snake, Kicks, and Up-Smash.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You're right, jut don't be to overly confident about it. He is the only character so far to be shown and not confirmed.
Why can't I? He's already been in two of the games. If he was cut, then he would've been a long time ago.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Fine, believe what you want.
I believe they wouldn't have shown him if he wasn't going to be in. They probably just won't announce him until after release, since he's most likely a secret character.

It's so crazy that we'll know the entire roster in September (when it's released in japan). I really hope that there are a lot of secret characters and surprises to look forward to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'd throw a fit if Game and Watch was cut and we get a semi-clone over him.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I'd be pissed if any character gets cut, but alas.

Especially Snake. :[
Honestly, it's a shame but... With everyone from Brawl still in, all characters from Melee returning and all confirmed newcomers taken into account, we'd have 52 characters. (EDIT: Yeah, this is an example. Just clarifying, cause I forgot to before editing. Of course not everyone from Melee will return) That doesn't really give room for other characters, especially with the Gematsu leak taken into account which gets us up to 55. I feel like there would have to be cuts, with Squirtle and Ivysaur basically gone (:() and Lucas also being potentially cut (:(), let's just hope Snake isn't one of those characters. He's not a clone character at all and is quite popular, so it'd end up being Mewtwo all over again.
(Pichu and Young Link can stay gone for all I care btw)

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly, it's a shame but... With everyone from Brawl still in, all characters from Melee returning and all confirmed newcomers taken into account, we'd have 52 characters. That doesn't really give room for other characters, especially with the Gematsu leak taken into account which gets us up to 55. I feel like there would have to be cuts, with Squirtle and Ivysaur basically gone:(and Lucas also being potentially cut,:(let's just hope Snake isn't one of those characters. He's not a clone character at all and is quite popular, so it'd end up being Mewtwo all over again.
(Pichu and Young Link can stay gone for all I care btw)
Why on Earth would all characters from Melee return?

D

Deleted member

All cuts are a loss. If you didn't play them, it makes you wish you played them more. If you played them, it's like losing a friend. If you want a character to be cut, you're wishing death on someone.

People who want cuts = murderers

DON'T BE A MURDERER

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
I'd hardly call Young Link a cut, since they basically turned him into Toon Link. Sucks that he lost his fire arrows, though; that would help make him more unique, especially since adult Link now has a Gale Boomerang.

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
I'd hardly call Young Link a cut, since they basically turned him into Toon Link. Sucks that he lost his fire arrows, though; that would help make him more unique, especially since adult Link now has a Gale Boomerang.
Perhaps Young Link's fire arrows will come back as part of Toon Link's custom moveset?

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I just noticed something you guys, with each new iteration of Smash we've gotten two Pokemon newcomers (counting PT as one character here). Technically this is also true for the first game. If this is a continuing pattern, we can expect a second Pokemon newcomer.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I just noticed something you guys, with each new iteration of Smash we've gotten two Pokemon newcomers (counting PT as one character here). Technically this is also true for the first game. If this is a continuing pattern, we can expect a second Pokemon newcomer.
I dunno about that. If we were to get a second, I hope that it would be Zoroark, but it's probably going to be another Kalos Pokemon depending on how it goes.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Does Mewtwo count?

Really, that's the only Pokemon character that wasn't already in Brawl that I could see getting in.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Maybe Blaziken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom