• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Do you guys think that Pacman will have a Ms. Pacman costume? I think that would be a pretty hilarious addition.
I hope so. There is fan art already. (Not made by me)
image.jpg

But what if Chorus Men and Shulk also have counters? :troll:
Not to get off topic, but your sig is missing Pichu, Young Link, and Doctor Mario. Just saying :p.

D

Deleted member

I hope so. There is fan art already. (Not made by me)
View attachment 16657

Not to get off topic, but your sig is missing Pichu, Young Link, and Doctor Mario. Just saying :p.
Gah. I made an icon for Young Link, but I guess I forgot to add him. I guess I probably could add Doc too, but I think everyone's under the assumption that Pichu is something less than a veteran :troll:

D

Deleted member

1. You don't play as Takamaru in said minigame, you play as your Mii.
2. Said minigame isn't canon to the Mysterious Murasame Castle franchise.

I don't why they decided to use Shurikens but the fact is that in the original game, the only canon material, Takamaru never uses Shurikens. I think it's safe to say that if Takamaru were to appear in Smash Bros., he would use his actual weapons instead of something made up for a minigame.

(Twice in one day)

More than half the **** people do in Smash was never done in canon or generally defies canon in some way.
At least there's actually basis for Takamaru to use shuriken. Especially with the apparent stigma about knives that would very likely affect the throwing knives as much as it did Snake's and Sheik's knives. He needs a suitable substitute, which shuriken are.

Last edited by a moderator:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I am surprised Zero Boot Samus wasn't the first example brought up. Takamaru using throwing stars wouldn't be anywhere near as unusual as that.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

(Twice in one day)

More than half the **** people do in Smash was never done in canon or generally defies canon in some way.
At least there's actually basis for Takamaru to use shuriken. Especially with the apparent stigma about knives that would very likely affect the throwing knives as much as it did Snake's and Sheik's knives. He needs a suitable substitute, which shuriken are.
I'm not saying it's impossible for Takamaru to use shurikens in Smash because it "defies canon" or anything. I'm mainly arguing because a lot of people falsely claim that Takamaru uses shurikens and thus Greninja and Sword Mii are "taking his moves", which is complete bull****. It's more likely, in my opinion, that he would use the throwing knives, windmill blades and fireballs.

Regarding the "stigma about knifes": Sheik never used a knife in OoT and it wasn't even part of her design until Brawl, so they would've had to change her moveset to incorporate it. Snake's knife might just be something they didn't end up utilizing rather than something they decided against due to some kind of "stigma". But even if that was the reason, using a knife to stab someone and using it as a throwing weapon is quite different and doesn't necessarily carry the same stigma. And Takamaru has windmill blades as well in case knives are out.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm not saying it's impossible for Takamaru to use shurikens in Smash because it "defies canon" or anything. I'm mainly arguing because a lot of people falsely claim that Takamaru uses shurikens and thus Greninja and Sword Mii are "taking his moves", which is complete bull****. It's more likely, in my opinion, that he would use the throwing knives, windmill blades and fireballs.

Regarding the "stigma about knifes": Sheik never used a knife in OoT and it wasn't even part of her design until Brawl, so they would've had to change her moveset to incorporate it. Snake's knife might just be something they didn't end up utilizing rather than something they decided against due to some kind of "stigma". But even if that was the reason, using a knife to stab someone and using it as a throwing weapon is quite different and doesn't necessarily carry the same stigma. And Takamaru has windmill blades as well in case knives are out.
A kunai is technically not a knife. It can't really cut anything and actually started out as a multi-purpose gardening tool. Martial artists just learned to use them to be deadly weapons and they evolved into what they are now from there.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
In Nazo no Murasame jo, he never uses them. And Nintendo Land isn't canon. So he probably wouldn't use them actually.
I would like to agree, however this prevents me:
There's not even a Bowling Ball item in Animal Crossing, so I don't know why he would drop one especially if they could easily replace it with something else that's actually from the game.
Ninja stars fit Takamaru perfectly so it's possible to see them implement them into his moveset. Yes, I know Nintendo Land isn't canon, but neither is Smash.

D

Deleted member

I would like to agree, however this prevents me:
There's not even a Bowling Ball item in Animal Crossing, so I don't know why he would drop one especially if they could easily replace it with something else that's actually from the game.
Ninja stars fit Takamaru perfectly so it's possible to see them implement them into his moveset. Yes, I know Nintendo Land isn't canon, but neither is Smash.
Ball Return.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
There there. *pats head* The fools don't know what they think, my pretty pretty shiny shiny.
I'm not really a fool considering Nintendo themselves made a mini-game dedicated to Takamaru using shurikens.
@GoldenYuiitusin had a pretty good argument why it's possible for him to use them. Thinking it's impossible for him not to is quite foolish if you ask me.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just to end this silly argument, allow me to propose a few examples:

Most of the confirmed swordsman so far use broadswords (Link, Toon Link, and Ike). Does that mean that Chrom is disconfirmed for using similar styled blades? No.

There are already a few heavy reptiles with clawing attacks (Charizard and Bowser). Does that mean that Ridley and King K. Rool are out of the question for falling in a similar category? No.

It doesn't hurt if certain fights share similar characteristics, weapons, and statuses. Though it does matter if they can work differently enough to be unique.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
A kunai is technically not a knife. It can't really cut anything and actually started out as a multi-purpose gardening tool. Martial artists just learned to use them to be deadly weapons and they evolved into what they are now from there.
Takamaru doesn't use kunai, though. He uses "kogara". Which, from what I understand, was also originally not meant to be a weapon, but rather a tool to cut wood. It is, however, more knife-like than a kunai.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Just to end this silly argument, allow me to propose a few examples:

Most of the confirmed swordsman so far use broadswords (Link, Toon Link, and Ike). Does that mean that Chrom is disconfirmed for using similar styled blades? No.

There are already a few heavy reptiles with clawing attacks (Charizard and Bowser). Does that mean that Ridley and King K. Rool are out of the question for falling in a similar category? No.

It doesn't hurt if certain fights share similar characteristics, weapons, and statuses. Though it does matter if they can work differently enough to be unique.
That's not my argument, but yes I do agree with you.
Was that directed towards me?

D

Deleted member

I agree that it's too hasty to make judgments on Takamaru based on other characters considering many characters share types of weapons as well.
However, regardless of him using throwing knives in the original game, I can almost guarantee that he won't use them in Smash and will have shuriken take their place.

a. Sheik had a knife in official OoT artwork.

(Don't bother using the "non-canon" excuse since neither are any of Sheik's other weapons in Smash, and they don't even have basis outside of Smash.)

b. Sakurai directly stated on the old Brawl DOJO within the questionaire that Snake would not use his survival knife because of how knives are viewed outside Japan. In Japan, knives are seen as no different from swords in terms of fiction. Outside Japan, knives are heavily associated with gang violence and imitable criminal acts. To keep Smash as a game "fun for everyone" everywhere in the world, he kept Snake from using his knife.

Sakurai said:
『スマブラ』のスネークは武器を使わないのではなくて、
ナイフや拳銃の類を使わないのです。
手榴弾やロケットランチャーなどは、まだ洒落で済みそうなので使う予定です。
日本人にとっては、実銃もサバイバルナイフも、剣などと同様、
ファンタジーに近いです。
普段からホンモノを触っているわけではありませんよね?
が、海外ではそうではありません。
外に出れば、変質者や強盗の被害に遭うかもしれない。
自分の子供たちが、危険にさらされているかもしれない。
現実にほど近い驚異なのです。
年齢制限がはっきりと高いゲームならもちろんOKなのですが、
『スマブラ』はそうではありません。
だからというわけでもないのですが、世界の人に対して
バランス良く配慮できなければ、皆が笑って楽しめるゲームには
成り得ないと私は思いますね。
前作のフォックスのブラスターに、目立つように模様がついているのも
そんな理由からです。
The stigma isn't about the use of the knife. It's about the knife itself.

Same with realistic firearms, which led to certain design aspects (such as Fox's Blaster) altered from the original versions to be less realistic, or just not used at all (such as Snake and Captain Falcon, who keep their guns in their holsters at all times in Smash).

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's not my argument, but yes I do agree with you.
Was that directed towards me?
Not you, just this whole "Takamaru can't use shirukens" debate in general. It's better moving on to a more interesting topic than just beating the dead horse.

D

Deleted member

Not you, just this whole "Takamaru can't use shirukens" debate in general. It's better moving on to a more interesting topic than just beating the dead horse.
....is your avatar what I think it is?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
....is your avatar what I think it is?
Yes, it's Dark Pit...ehm...he's...yeah, it's exactly what you think it is. And yes, Palutena also features in the picture, though you can't see her face.

What about hair colour representation?:troll:

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
a. Sheik had a knife in official OoT artwork.

(Don't bother using the "non-canon" excuse since neither are any of Sheik's other weapons in Smash, and they don't even have basis outside of Smash.)

b. Sakurai directly stated on the old Brawl DOJO within the questionaire that Snake would not use his survival knife because of how knives are viewed outside Japan. In Japan, knives are seen as no different from swords in terms of fiction. Outside Japan, knives are heavily associated with gang violence and imitable criminal acts. To keep Smash as a game "fun for everyone" everywhere in the world, he kept Snake from using his knife.

The stigma isn't about the use of the knife. It's about the knife itself.

Same with realistic firearms, which led to certain design aspects (such as Fox's Blaster) altered from the original versions to be less realistic, or just not used at all (such as Snake and Captain Falcon, who keep their guns in their holsters at all times in Smash).
Alright. I was not aware Sakurai had made a statement regarding the subject. In that case I have no arguments.

Still, like I said, Takamaru has windmills blades as well. Those do not carry any stigma, as far as I know.
Just to be clear, there is no "Takamaru can't use shurikens" debate. We're arguing on whether or not he would use shurikens instead of his original weaponry.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Takamaru doesn't use kunai, though. He uses "kogara". Which, from what I understand, was also originally not meant to be a weapon, but rather a tool to cut wood. It is, however, more knife-like than a kunai.
I'm not sure that's the case. Unlike the kogara, the kunai is highly associated with ninjas, which Takamaru often borrows aspects from despite being a Samurai. If anything, he may be using a tanto incorrectly.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Is the Takamaru can't use Shurikens because Greninja has shurikens?

They wouldn't even play the same.

D

Deleted member

Yes, he has windmill blades, though they wouldn't serve as replacement for the standard throwing knives like the shuriken would.
In fact, he'd much likely have the windmill blades as well regardless of whether he has throwing knives or shuriken. Same with fireballs.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Wikipedia and some other sites call them kogara.
I'm honestly not even sure where you're getting the word "kogara" from. The image provided on that page you linked me to:

Calls the above one a kogatana and the below one a kogai.

Where'd you even get the idea that Takamaru is using these? Have a source of some sort?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yes, it's Dark Pit...ehm...he's...yeah, it's exactly what you think it is. And yes, Palutena also features in the picture, though you can't see her face. :troll:
There you have it, it's humorous hug scene between the two.

Now if you excuse me, I have some Wii Fit to attend to.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It would be a little silly if Takamaru wasn't playable in Smash, after being playable in a third-party fighting game. Or I guess it's more of a hack-and-slash game, but still.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I'm honestly not even sure where you're getting the word "kogara" from. The image provided on that page you linked me to:

Calls the above one a kogatana and the below one a kogai.

Where'd you even get the idea that Takamaru is using these? Have a source of some sort?
It's in the title of the page. Though the word seems to actually be "kozuka" when it's used as a noun.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/小柄
  1. knife attached to the sheath of a sword
Like I said, it's what wikipedia and some other sites call the weapons Takamaru throws. Wikipedia's description of Takamaru:
剣術と忍術に長けた、幕府最強の剣客。剣と小柄、そして様々な術を使って敵を倒す。

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Sakurai's unpredictability, we have no idea when he'll be revealed, but it will happen one day.
I know he's pretty much a shoe-in at this point, but it just that I want him in the game PERIOD.
They're probably gonna make him an unlockable veteran like in Mario Kart 7
Nah, that's just one unlockable appearance he's had, and I doubt that any "never been unlockable" type characters would EVER shift to unlockable, but it's kinda possible, y'never know.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Don't quote me on this, but with all this talk about unlockable veterans, since we don't see Ike on the box art for either title, but we do see Marth on one of the box arts , one might say Ike's unlockable

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom