• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Pfffffffffffffffffft Sceptile. PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTT no.

Also I doubt he'll throw in character DLC because the whole "adding characters isn't addition but multiplication" thing.
Except it's multiplication of work required, if it's DLC then the characters that couldn't be done before release could be made DLC after they're finished and other characters can have all of their focus put on them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think this game will have it's own version of the 'Forbidden 7' who'll turn out to be DLC characters. With that I mean, character data will likely already be on disk.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Except it's multiplication of work required, if it's DLC then the characters that couldn't be done before release could be made DLC after they're finished and other characters can have all of their focus put on them.
Yeah, sure, I guess releasing previously unfinished characters could maybe work. Still doubt it'll happen though. Idk man.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Mewtwo or no DK newcomer is in this game, I would feel that DL characters were guaranteed.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
They gave Ganondorf human form because Sakurai was making last minute clones during Melee's development.
Which proves my point. Pig Ganon isn't needed. The only pig we need in Smash is Porky.
Yeah funny that, the reason Ganondorf got in is because he has a similar build to Falcon.

And I prefer Pig Ganon because I like that the big bad guy for a game set on a fantastical world full of monsters is a monster himself. His design is very reminiscent to classic 80's anime as well, which I'm very fond of.

Furthermore, Smash is very light on 2D Zelda representation. Personally, as someone who prefers 2D Zelda, I'd like that to be addressed. I associate with the more childish Link in these games than adult Link in 3D Zeldas.
I think the Nintendo universe is fantasy enough. Pig Ganon being added wouldn't really make a difference. Once Ganondorf is revealed with a completely new move set, I doubt you would remember Pig Ganon even existed. Are you serious? Pig Ganon from The Legend of Zelda cartoon? no, just no.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of the "Forbidden Seven" I don't believe any of them have shown up yet up to this point now that I think about it, not even in that massive trophy dump they threw out during the 3DS trailer. (Although we have no idea who this Pra_Mai is and Toon Sheik seems to be obsolete now that transformations are gone)

But yeah, I'm fairly sure that if there are any more characters who didn't make it due to time constraints will probably be brought in through DLC if it will really happen.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If Mewtwo or no DK newcomer is in this game, I would feel that DL characters were guaranteed.
Sure, we'll get Dixie Kong and Mewtwo. :p
Ridley might be an exception if he's taking long to develop.

Which proves my point. Pig Ganon isn't needed. The only pig we need in Smash is Porky.

I think the Nintendo universe is fantasy enough. Pig Ganon being added wouldn't really make a difference. Once Ganondorf is revealed with a completely new move set, I doubt you would remember Pig Ganon even existed. Are you serious? Pig Ganon from The Legend of Zelda cartoon? no, just no.
That doesn't mean Ganondorf can't get the improvement he needs such as his trident pig form.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo and Dixie Kong where already part of Brawl's Forbidden 7. They where also the ones, along with Roy, that people where the most hyped for.

SPEAKING OF PRAI_MAI... IT COULD BE THE MII FIGHTERS! :crazy:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can't see Ridley as DLC. He's already in the game. Whether he's a boss or a playable remains to be seen, but his role has already been decided upon if he's showing up and casting his shadow like that.
Which will mean he's a stage hazard like Yellow Devil.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Once Ganondorf is revealed with a completely new move set, I doubt you would remember Pig Ganon even existed. Are you serious? Pig Ganon from The Legend of Zelda cartoon? no, just no.
That's quite the assumption to make since I do like Falcondorf, yet I still want Pig Ganon.

I seriously don't know what you're trying to say. What does the cartoon have to do with what I said? Your WHOLE reply has nothing to do with what I said, and all you did was make a really baseless assumption. :\ I want Pig Ganon because I like 2D Zelda. Period.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Couple that with the fact that having only Samus as a playable character makes good Metroid representation. Of course, you could play as other hunters in Hunters, but really Metroid is about exploration and solving things as a lone bounty hunter. Wouldn't it be weird to play as other characters? I feel playable Ridley could kinda trash his novelty or his character or whatever.

Oh yeah, this is my 300th post! Booyah.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Mewtwo and Dixie Kong where already part of Brawl's Forbidden 7. They where also the ones, along with Roy, that people where the most hyped for.

SPEAKING OF PRAI_MAI... IT COULD BE THE MII FIGHTERS! :crazy:
No. They were considered in the planning stages of Brawl, but didn't make into the development stages because Sakurai was against it.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Sorry.

I explained myself well enough. I do not claim to know Sakurai or what he's thinking. That'd be impossible to do. After all, his mind is too complex for mortal humans to comprehend.

How would Impa be uglier than 2 Links, 2 Zeldas and 2 Ganons actually?

Ganondorf may very well get a revamp. But have the revamps of Zelda, Sheik, Link or Bowser lead to them getting new Final Smashes? Wouldn't think so. Ganondorf also won't be cut for Ganon, as he has showed up in the E3 short movie which was based on Robot Chicken. And, in TP form.

Is it really that hard for you to understand that it's more than 98% likely that Ganondorf will have Ganon as a Final Smash?

How has Sheik killed Impa's chances actually? As far as I can tell, Hyrule Warrior's Impa seems to fight NOTHING like Sheik. It'd be like comparing Marth and Ike as this point. Stupid.

Eiji might've said there's a lot of playable characters. Sure. But what exactly will that mean? The Zelda franchise isn't EXACTLY KNOWN for having a big cast of playable characters. Also; Impa got shown first. Even before Zelda and Midna. They are very likely doing this for SOME kind of purpose.

So now, what exactly would be the problem of having Impa playable? As far as I can see: she still has one major thing going on for her: she's acchieved playable status in the Zelda franchise. Sheik never had this. Neither did Ganon or Ganondorf.

Know why Rosalina, for example got into Smash? Playable status. It's actually a real big ****ing thing.

My problem with you is that you insist your choice >> my choice. I actually would like a playable Ganon. And Impa fighting Ghirahim would be a nice thing to see in Smash. But, I just don't see either happening. And I think most people who are expecting a Zelda newcomer in a way will agree that Impa is just a more likely choice than either of the two.

But stay mad if you like. I won't care.
The problem with your theory is that some characters are getting new and better final smashes, Luigi and Pit are a perfect example of this, I never said that they would cut ganondorf over Ganon but Ganon would be his own character, Why do you say that it would like bad? Ganon and Ganondorf look nothing alike and people won't give a **** as they will probably play a lot different, (you don't see a giant pig throwing a falcon punch, do you?)
Hyrule warriors is an spin off, Impa got a sword, that's fantastic, a lot of characters uses swords now, the dynasty warriors series features a lot of characters anyway, or they probably showed Impa because they felt like it, you are putting way too much hope into an spin off, also I don't see why showing Impa in hyrule warrios means anything to smash
Midna achieved playable status in hyrule warriors and she is only an Assit trophy, ganondorf is all but confirmed to be playable as well, achieving playable status in an spin off game is not a big feat actually, otherwise we would already have waluigi in smash, If they revealed Impa as a playable character in Zelda U for example then I would agree that she is likely, but being one of the many characters on the spin off game, my problem with you is that you are being a complete hypocrite, Ghirahim cannot get over Impa but Impa can get over ganon, we should just accept that Impa isn't likely, at least for this game

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Allow me to catch up.

First off, I think having DLC characters is a fine idea, as long as it's not overkill. Having exciting characters being thrown in through DLC could become part of the novelty of character inclusion. Not to mention, I doubt we'd even get that many considering how hard it is to balance out characters in the first place.

Now Impa. I personally think she is the best choice for a Zelda newcomer. She has had multiple incarnations in the franchise, she plays an important role and she's really just a solid choice for a character.

In SSB5.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Didn't our big boy Sal throw in a "maybe" or "possibly" there when he mentioned DLC doe?

Wait nvm, he threw in a "planning." Planning.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Now Impa. I personally think she is the best choice for a Zelda newcomer. She has had multiple incarnations in the franchise, she plays an important role and she's really just a solid choice for a character.
It was good like this. Sometimes, a masterpiece doesn't quite need that finishing touch, you get me? ;)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would recommend pushing for character to appear as DLC now so that you won't be disappointed by the initial roster.

From the personal standpoint, I don't really care much.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sheikah are represented by Sheik, I am not sure what Impa really offers at this point.

Ghirahim also has a big sword like Impa sports in Hyrule Warriors. Add him over Impa.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Sheikah are represented by Sheik, I am not sure what Impa really offers at this point.

Ghirahim also has a big sword like Impa sports in Hyrule Warriors. Add him over Impa.
Ghirahim has appeared in one game, and is associated with/is the sword of Demise, who is the reason behind the reincarnations of hatred in Zelda games (i.e. Ganon and sometimes not Ganon), and he has a pretty awesome personality, but other than that and some decent "moveset potential" that's all he's got going for him. Love how you dig Ghirahim, as I too dig him quite deeply, but Impa has higher merits for playable status as stated a few posts up and one post down.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
His most recent leak is quite vague. DLC and Lucas getting cut are both "maybe".
Ah, the almighty "maybe." That's where it was. Really hope they don't cut Lucas. Lucas was extremely excellent in Brawl, while Ness was pretty sluggish in comparison. If he's cut, hopefully give Ness a better feel.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
So.... Outdated information I'm thinking. They would have already decided by now.
Good thinking. Sakurai did say most of the roster was finalized 2 years back. Most. This big boy could just be out of new material and could have just spread announcing what he knew as he pleased, because why not have some fun toying with the fans?

Only if you count manuals and being depicted in a stained glass window. Otherwise it's just five.
Regardless of this what's important is her significance to the series, further backed by her numerous appearances and her specific roles in the games.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yeah, I'm not arguing against that or anything. I just think saying she has appeared in eight games is an overstatement.
I think it still helps her case though. While not in the game, it still makes her the first notable NPC created for the series.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ghirahim has appeared in one game.

Impa has appeared in eight.
Rosalina has appeared in several games. Toad has appeared in a million and has been playable long before Rosalina was even a nugget of imagination in someone's lump of gray matter.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Yeah but he's been portrayed as just another member of a species or race or whatever. Sure, that applies to Yoshi but at least Yoshi has some significance in being Mario's protector and eventual sidekick in the Yoshi's Island games and the Super Mario series, respectively. And sure, Toad have been playable in the main Mario series too, but even then they're portrayed a bit generically. Toads are as common as your friendly neighborhood Goombas or Koopas except they're typically on the good guys' team.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
That's quite the assumption to make since I do like Falcondorf, yet I still want Pig Ganon.

I seriously don't know what you're trying to say. What does the cartoon have to do with what I said? Your WHOLE reply has nothing to do with what I said, and all you did was make a really baseless assumption. :\ I want Pig Ganon because I like 2D Zelda. Period.
Yeah funny that, the reason Ganondorf got in is because he has a similar build to Falcon.
It was as if you used Ganondorf as a reason for Pig Ganon not being in Smash when that's not the case. If Captain Falcon was never in Smash, Pig Ganon still wouldn't have got it.

Didn't you say you preferred Pig Ganon because his design is very reminiscent to classic 80's anime? Of course I'm going to think you referenced the cartoon. I don't watch 80's anime so I don't know any 80's anime villains. Also, you being more associated with childish Link has nothing to do with Pig Ganon and it would be weird if Pig Ganon remind you of Child Link.

Don't reply to my post explaining why you like Pig Ganon. That's what the Pig Ganon support thread is for. I'm not trying to read about a character I don't like. To me, Pig Ganon has nothing to do with Ganondorf just as Roidley has nothing to do with Ridley to most Metroid fans.

If my last reply had nothing to with what you said, that goes to show how much I despise Pig Ganon.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If my last reply had nothing to with what you said, that goes to show how much I despise Pig Ganon.
...Good for you?

You wondered why people wanted Ganon, I gave you a reason why I wanted Ganon. Now you're saying you don't want to know why anyone wants Ganon?

What's your deal? I'm not trying to convince you to like the character, I'm saying the character HAS fans, mainly those who love 2D Zelda.
It was as if you used Ganondorf as a reason for Pig Ganon not being in Smash when that's not the case. If Captain Falcon was never in Smash, Pig Ganon still wouldn't have got it.
Also, you being more associated with childish Link has nothing to do with Pig Ganon and it would be weird if Pig Ganon remind you of Child Link.
...Reading comprehension, man.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ghirahim has appeared in one game, and is associated with/is the sword of Demise, who is the reason behind the reincarnations of hatred in Zelda games (i.e. Ganon and sometimes not Ganon), and he has a pretty awesome personality, but other than that and some decent "moveset potential" that's all he's got going for him. Love how you dig Ghirahim, as I too dig him quite deeply, but Impa has higher merits for playable status as stated a few posts up and one post down.
Ghirahim has appeared in one game.

Impa has appeared in eight.
Either way, it's still more significant than Ghirahim.
I love you guys.

Aeolia

Smash Cadet
They should add a Twilight Princess version of Vaati just to screw with everyone's predictions. Playable Ezlo would work too (hat or minish).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom