• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
What are the chances of a third Kid Icarus character?
I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm confident there's no third Kid Icarus character, but I'm still not sure why Dark Pit appeared in Palutena's trailer.

I'll be very pissed if he turns out to be character and not just a skin or something.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853

I'm confident there's no third Kid Icarus character, but I'm still not sure why Dark Pit appeared in Palutena's trailer.

I'll be very pissed if he turns out to be character and not just a skin or something.
I think Dark Pit appears at the end of the trailer as a means to segue into another trailer. I wouldn't worry about Dark Pit being a playable character at this point. Magnus is an AT and so is Phosphora, so they're out, and Viridi is a stage element, so I'd say she's out as well. Most of the other characters besides Pit and Palutena weren't big enough to be considered for Smash representation anyway, except for..

.. Hades.

EDIT: Of course, we should consider Medusa, as well, but who wants her when you can have the amazingness that is our dark lord and master Hades? ;)

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913

I won't. It means Sakurai has a much bigger roster than we think if he can spare a spot for Shadow the Angel.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I won't. It means Sakurai has a much bigger roster than we think if he can spare a spot for Shadow the Angel.
Come now, that really isn't warranted. Don't think there is a worse insult than that. He's probably a boss, anyway. The tease is reminiscent of the one they did with Ridley, and both Pyrosphere as well as Palutena's Temple were excluded from the Demo.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Sal, Gematsu leaker, claimed that there was dispute upon which of the Mother characters should remain on the roster, apparently it is leaning towards Lucas getting dropped. However, there are plans for DLC characters, so Lucas will probably return anyways.
I can't find the original source for this. Do you know the link?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Why does everyone on SmashBoards have feelings for Hades? Is it like that stork thing?
It's not just Smashboards. Hades is pretty much the best and most lovable villain in any Nintendo game, so it's easy to see why.

He's almost a Disney villain. Not that he'll get in Smash though, maybe as a boss?

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Come now, that really isn't warranted. Don't think there is a worse insult than that. He's probably a boss, anyway. The tease is reminiscent of the one they did with Ridley, and both Pyrosphere as well as Palutena's Temple were excluded from the Demo.
Shadow is a character I enjoy when he's not super angsty. So you're insulting Shadow, not me. :p

But I don't think Dark Pit is in anyway.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
It's not just Smashboards. Hades is pretty much the best and most lovable villain in any Nintendo game, so it's easy to see why.

He's almost a Disney villain. Not that he'll get in Smash though, maybe as a boss?
Ah. I haven't gotten to Hades in KI:U I've made it to Viridi, does that count? Also, I don't think we'll be getting a 3rd KI rep.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Uprising is my favourite 3DS game and I still don't care too much about Hades. Or Viridi.

I mean they're good characters but personally I only had any sort of vested interest in seeing Palutena in Smash, she was probably my favourite character in the game.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So I went to Smash-Fest and played Smash Run and 2 rounds with my brothers and GF. I played as Villager for each match and I think he has more potential than what most people think.
  • The only Smash attack that I found somewhat lacking was his F-Smash, even though it was powerful, the non-existent range ruined it. Good edge-guarding abilities though.
  • His D-Smash was very fast and very useful. Pretty much guarantees another hit.
  • U-Smash was powerful. If used next to an opponent, it launches them into the "sweet-spot" and has high knock-back.
  • F-Tilt was surprising fast and strong with very good range.
  • D-Tilt had decent range.
  • Aerials were very good. B-Air had crazy knock-back for a projectile.
  • Turnips are gimmicky, one turnip doesn't really do much while three turnips cause good knock-back.
  • Gyroid Rocket does good knock-back and can potentially create some good set-ups due to the player being able to catch-up with the rocket.
  • The Tree is too situational, but honestly you have enough time to set-up after you KO your opponent.
  • Sadly, I forgot all about the Pocket special, I apologize for that.
  • Oh, and his jabs were great. DBZ sh*t right there.
I'll be uploading videos on YouTube later, but overall, I think Villager's main problem is the fact that his sort of gimmicky. But he was a very fun character to play as. The only reason I was second, was due to the fact that my brother went after my GF because she is awful at Smash Bros. He even admitted to it so I'm not lying :p

D

Deleted member

An insult? How?

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
That's true. I guess I'd only get mad if we got Dark Pit and only had a ~51 character roster. I'd be perfectly okay with him if we managed to get a roster in the 60s and had all the big names already.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Uprising is my favourite 3DS game and I still don't care too much about Hades. Or Viridi.

I mean they're good characters but personally I only had any sort of vested interest in seeing Palutena in Smash, she was probably my favourite character in the game.
I'm the opposite. Uprising is my favorite 3DS game but I liked pretty much every other god much more than Palutena.

Poseidon had potential. :[

RainbowYoshi

Smash Rookie
That's true. I guess I'd only get mad if we got Dark Pit and only had a ~51 character roster. I'd be perfectly okay with him if we managed to get a roster in the 60s and had all the big names already.
Dark Pit wouldn't really have much chance of getting in anyway. Sakurai said already that he doesn't want duplicates of any character. Which means he wouldn't want any characters with the same move sets or characters that are basically the same. With that said, Characters like Paper Mario and Dark Pit have no chance, and neither does Wolf. I believe that they would bring back Falco, but maybe change his move set a little.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Dark Pit wouldn't really have much chance of getting in anyway. Sakurai said already that he doesn't want duplicates of any character. Which means he wouldn't want any characters with the same move sets or characters that are basically the same. With that said, Characters like Paper Mario and Dark Pit have no chance, and neither does Wolf. I believe that they would bring back Falco, but maybe change his move set a little.
How is Wolf a duplicate character?

RainbowYoshi

Smash Rookie
How is Wolf a duplicate character?
Fox, Falco, and Wolf are all basically the same. I believe that Falco and Fox are the superior of the three, yet all 3 of them have the same move set. I think that Wolf will be cut, and replaced with Krystal, and that Falco's move set will be changed so he can continue in smash. Of any of those 4 characters, Fox is the only one confirmed.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Wolf has significant differences from Fox and Falco. Falco is more similar to Fox than Wolf is.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Fox, Falco, and Wolf are all basically the same. I believe that Falco and Fox are the superior of the three, yet all 3 of them have the same move set. I think that Wolf will be cut, and replaced with Krystal, and that Falco's move set will be changed so he can continue in smash. Of any of those 4 characters, Fox is the only one confirmed.
Wolf barely has the same moveset. If anyone would be cut for being a "duplicate" character, it'd be Falco over Wolf hands down.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Also, Toon Link returned. Just to keep in mind that when arguing someone is automatically going to be cut because of similarities to another character.

RainbowYoshi

Smash Rookie
Double Post Warning Received
They all have the same final smash

I never said that they are "automatically going to be cut" because they are similar. I said that I think Wolf may be cut. God you kids need to learn to read.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I feel like anyone who says Wolf is a clone doesn't even play him. Hell, even Falco.

It's fine to think they're the same, that's understandable, but to say a character should be cut when you don't even use them just seems a bit premature.

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
Wut at the bolded. No, no they're not.
There is only one defined individual Yoshi that is just a generic Yoshi in design, and that's "Yoshi" the Green Yoshi that serves as Mario's pal and sidekick.

The four Yoshis (Green, Red, Blue, Yellow) that debuted in SMW are clearly individual characters, as seen in gameplay text and in the ending (along with the newly hatched rescued Yoshis).

The Yoshi group that consistently helps Baby Mario rescue Baby Luigi in the Yoshi Island series are clearly separate characters. They each take turns carrying Baby Mario and in later games the other Babies.

Red Yoshi in the upcoming Yoshi Wooly World is clearly a separate character from Green Yoshi.

Aside from that, why do you claim that only Green Yoshi is the only "defined" Yoshi? No where in the games do they claim that Green Yoshi is Mario's only Yoshi friend. That's only shown in outside media and fan wikis/fan works.

Aside from that, you are the one who doesn't understand.
Design doesn't matter. What does matter is the individuality. Captain Toad is a defined character that has his own starring role spin-off game and is the Captain of the Toad Brigade, and Bandana Waddle Dee is a defined character that serves as the "elite" member of his species and is both Kirby's friend and Dedede's personal assistant/advisor.

Why would the generic counterparts of their species be added instead of the major and defined individual characters? It's not like the Pokémon where they are representing the species as a whole, they're representing themselves.
As someone who works in the industry, I can tell you that design does matter when it come to game and character development. But don't take that from me, here's a past example direct from Nintendo where character design clearly did matter:
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1695711/why_no_peach_in_new_super_mario_bros_u.html

When you put in a species character in a title like Smash Bros, they are representing their species. Yoshi represents the entire Yoshi species, Pikachu represents the entire Pikachu species, Luma represents the entire Luma species, etc. Individuality/personality doesn't matter when it comes to Smash Bros. during development. Most of that is left up to interpretation by the player; an example is SSE in Brawl where there are no spoken lines of dialogue and most of the story was left up to player's imaginations.

As for Bandana Dee being an "elite" member of his species, nowhere in the Kirby games is it stated he's any different than his fellow Waddle Dee beyond being an ally of Kirby and friends. The "he beats up other Waddles Dees!" isn't an answer. Other Waddle Dees have done the same thing when playable in Super Star(Ultra) and Canvas Curse.

And if design did matter....then we would never have Luigi in Smash, who's generally been a palette swap of Mario with very slight changes since his conception as a character.
Also, take Kirby. Recolor him navy blue with white eyes and purple feet. Give him gloves, shoulder pads, a cape, a sword, and a mask. Who do you have? Meta Knight.
Yes, it's true that Luigi started out as a mere palette swap, but he was given a redesign for Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA). That design carried over and was used for Luigi's likeness in Nintendo's media/ads and future titles defining him as a separate character individually and design-wise before Smash 64 came out.
Luigi was defined as a Nintendo All-Star. He also has a unique name that isn't Green Mario.

As you listed, Meta Knight has more differences from Kirby than a simple palette swap or piece of clothing. He wasn't designed as derivative of Kirby' design, but having a mysterious resemblance in body shape and size. Like Luigi, he has enough difference in design to be considered unique. He also has a unique name rather than being called Masked Blue Kirby.

....Those are all palette swaps.
Palette swaps of (in Yoshi's case) other generic Yoshis in colors of the species itself and (in Link's case) a living manifestation of the darkness inside Link.
So is Bandanna Dee. He's literally Waddle Dee's design wearing a piece of clothing and a slight color tint depending on the game. Same with Yellow Toad and Blue Toad. Or Red Yoshi. Or Metal Mario. They're palette swaps of another character's design even if they a separate defined individual in their games. As you can see, derivative character's utilize a "color/clothing/power" "original character's name" naming scheme. That's just how character design works. Can a derivative character design get their own slot? Yes, see Dr. Mario. But would Dr. Mario get in over Mario?

Now don't get me wrong, I think Waddle Dee would be an interesting choice for Smash Bros. I just find it odd that his supporters claim he's extremely unique with a bandana on while also claiming he's boring and generic without one on. It's like if Toad supporter said Blue Toad is amazing looking while demonizing the classic Toad design.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I feel like anyone who says Wolf is a clone doesn't even play him. Hell, even Falco.

It's fine to think they're the same, that's understandable, but to say a character should be cut when you don't even use them just seems a bit premature.
Clone, no.
Semi-Clone/Pseudo-clone, yes.
I play all three and they have different playstyles, but their roots still originated from Fox.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
They all have the same final smash

I never said that they are "automatically going to be cut" because they are similar. I said that I think Wolf may be cut. God you kids need to learn to read.
I don't think you have any business talking down to people when you're the one thinking Wolf's similarity to Fox means he has no chance.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Clone, no.
Semi-Clone/Pseudo-clone, yes.
I play all three and they have different playstyles, but their roots still originated from Fox.
My point is that they enough differences to warrant staying in, so I don't really think it matters much if their moves originated from Fox. The fact they have different playstyles means they shouldn't be cut, if you ask me.

I think it's fair to call them clones if you don't use them (because you're going by what you're seeing instead of playing, which is fine), but what gets on my nerves is to say they should be cut based on that.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My point is that they enough differences to warrant staying in, so I don't really think it matters much if their moves originated from Fox. The fact they have different playstyles means they shouldn't be cut, if you ask me.

I think it's fair to call them clones if you don't use them (because you're going by what you're seeing instead of playing, which is fine), but what gets on my nerves is to say they should be cut based on that.
I don't think this conversation should go any farther.
Yes they are semi-clones but they have enough differences going for them that they both warrant a spot on the new roster.
I do agree on the final smashes they need to change those.
Falco needs an Arwing since he "Prefers the air."
And Wolf needs... something else.
In short I do think they'll all get in due to the fact that Falco is a super popular character and wolf is a little more original so in other words put them both in change their Final Smashes and everyone's happy.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
An insult? How?
I exaggerated a bit. The only decent appearence Shadow has imo is Adventure 2 Battle, he was poorly written in nearly every other one (though, that doesn't mean much given that most of those games are poorly written overall).

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

I think the only exception would be due to time constraints. If they had to pick one of the two or an original character, then I personally think the original character should be in before one of the two. Then add the cut character for DLC if possible.

That's my personal opinion on the situation. Oh and they definitely need new Final Smashes.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah, time constraints I can get. Agreed on the final smashes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom