• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Well both Ness and, I believe, Jiggs were considered to be cut at one time. They were not cut obviously so the question then is, was it their status as originals that saved them? Or lucky circumstances? I personally think the latter, so the idea that originals must be untouchable is a little off base to me.

Also does anyone have a link to the gematsu source talking about Lucas probably being cut? I can't find it, and I want to know it really exists.
From page 52 of the Gematsu leak thread:

Hey, guys.

Funny that this page is talking about a new e-mail, because that's exactly why I'm here. Received one last night, but missed it in the mix of all this crazy E3 coverae.

But there's not much new about it, so I didn't think it was worth posting on the site.

I'll leave what it says here, though, in case you guys can use it in any way.

Basically, I was told that:

- Last E3 before game's launch (obviously)
- Participating characters: Pac-Man, Mii Fighter, Goddess Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men (none of these are new, obv, so I take he means these are the participating characters for E3?)
- There has been internal debate about keeping Lucas versus Ness, apparently Lucas is likely to get the cut
- Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy

And that's it. This E3 should make or break whether this guy's the real deal. Let's hope for the best! =)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the fact that you said that kinda means you may be over obsessing:)
I used to. I'll admit that. But now, literally nothing stands in the way to have Impa playable. A Zelda newcomer is likely when we've gotten a Mario and Zelda one before. And Tingle is an AT again, Toon Zelda / Tetra are redundant and extremely unlikely due to Zelda's Phantom Slash, Ghirahim is a one-off, and runners up as Midna and Skull Kid are ATs. There's only Vaati I guess, and Ganon, who's likely gonna be Ganondorf's Final Smash anyway.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I'm going to put my input in.

Ridley =/= Ghirahim

This would be like comparing King K Rool to Hades. The former is a long running Nintendo villain with multiple appearances. The latter is the newest villain in a series who may or may not appear again.

Zelda Newcomer
I have no clue. The only choices left are Impa, Tetra, Toon Zelda, Vaati and Ghirahim. They each have things going against them.

Impa- they did not know about Hyrule Warriors when planning the roster. SoSkyward Sword Impa would be similar to Sheik.

Toon Zelda/ Tetra- three seperate Zelda May be too much.

Vaati- Is not recent

Ghirahim- Possible One shot character

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
From page 52 of the Gematsu leak thread:
Thanks, I see now why I could not find it on the site, but my question then is.. Is this person genuinely that Sal guy for sure?

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
What about next month?
If we are talking about veterans, I think they could unveil at least 1 veteran character next month.

If we are talking about newcomers, I'd say probably either within next month's Nintendo Direct (if they have one.)

Considering, that there is only 2 more months until the 3DS version comes out in Japan, I think Sakurai will keep some of the characters as a secret.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I presume as we're closing up this wait, we're probably going to see more significant changes with the remaining veterans.
Like for example, Meta Knight getting changes where he can't gimp as easily, Wario's moveset being changed so he's a less defensive character, Ness gaining better range by utilizing his yo-yo more, or Ice Climbers being changed to prevent chain grabbing.

Also from playing the demos, I can tell you right now there is probably going to less bias towards specific type of characters. Which would help benefit the diversity of characters, unlike say Melee which encouraged players to pick Sanic fast character.

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
NO. Those are generic Yoshis. They aren't given any sort of characterization, they aren't recurring characters, there's nothing that sets them from the rest of the species.
The one known as "Yoshi" (a.k.a. the green one from this game) is a recurring character, is Mario's close friend, and is the 7th Star Child (the other 6 being Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Wario, and DK (whether it's Cranky or modern DK is unknown)).

No characterization; no distinction; generic.
Also impossible to tell if these Yoshis are the same ones between games.
Aha! I think I understand you a bit more now, you're one of those folks who try to put story, reasoning, and continuity in titles that obviously don't have any. I'm curious to hear your fan theories about the "ongoing, continued, and connected" story between every Mario game are.

Although I still don't get where you're getting that Green Yoshi has more characterization and distinction from the other colored Yoshis in the games Yoshi appears in. They've always been treated equally in the main Mario titles and Yoshi series. Lack of characterization? Many Nintendo characters lack characterization so the player can better connect with the game world (ex: Link, Mario, all of the Pokemon protagonists, Villager, etc.). Recurring characters? I'm pretty sure I've seen Red Yoshi appear in more titles than Super Mario World, It doesn't matter if they're the "same" character or not (ex: Goomba is a recurring enemy in the Mario series, it doesn't matter if it's the "same" Goomba or not). Nothing sets them apart? I'm pretty sure most people can see that the Yoshis are each a different color. Unless you're color-blind that is.

Generic 2-player filler.
Just like Pink Donkey Kong Jr.
Except for the fact that the other colored Yoshis are recurrent and have been shown as individual characters in various titles.

I said Yoshi was the only defined Yoshi that is generic in design.
That's a personal opinion, I myself don't find Yoshi to have a generic design. He's quite unique looking and a highly recognizable character for most people, even for those who don't play video games.

Luma isn't a character. Lumas are summons that Rosalina use for fighting.

For not being a character, it's quite interesting to see Luma's name as a Smash newcomer.

Yoshi represents both the Yoshi character and the species.
The Waddle Dee species are already represented through enemies in Smash Run.
The Toad species is already represented through Peach's Neutral Special.
This is a matter of opinion.

We don't need to represent the species; we need to represent the characters. It's not a generic Toad that's become a spin-off star like Luigi, Wario, Peach, and Yoshi (both the character and species) before him; it's Captain Toad. It's not a generic Waddle Dee that's become a prominent character as of late; it's Bandana Dee.
Again, this is a matter of personal opinion. I for one would rather see the original designs the default as they are far more iconic and relevant and have the alternate designs (Like Blue/Yellow Toad, Bandana/Sailor Waddle Dee) as costumes.

It doesn't have to directly state it; he's shown to be Dedede's right-hand man in Revenge of the King as well as Returns to Dream Land, where he is assisting Dedede in chasing after Kirby in the beginning.
I wasn't going to use the "beats up other Waddle Dees" excuse; Dedede beats up Waddle Dees and they're his minions!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's been stated that Waddle Dees are simply peaceful citizens of Dream Land and not all of them serve King Dedede.

.......what the Hell?
Meta Knight was designed as derivative of Kirby's design. THEY ARE THE SAME SPECIES/RACE. Meta Knight is a palette swap wearing armor to hide the fact he's a palette swap!
That's literally no different than Captain Toad wearing adventuring gear and swinging a pickaxe!
Show anyone these two pics and I'm sure they won't mistake the two:

Show anyone these two pics and I'm sure they'll think they're the same character:

There's a big difference.

Oi, you're killing me here.
Dr. Mario is Mario. Of bloody course Dr. Mario wouldn't get in over the standard Mario
Exactly, this is what I've been saying regarding the standard Toad and Waddle Dee!

Bandana Dee? He's not a generic Waddle Dee. He's a specific Waddle Dee.
Give me a legitimate reason why, the ACTUAL CHARACTER that is prominent and supported by fans would NOT get in over random generic Waddle Dee #47 from Kirby Squeak Squad. Go on, do it. You haven't thus far, but maybe you'll surprise me with a good reason now.
Because Waddle Dee as an iconic and recurring character throughout the entire Kirby franchise and it make no sense to limit him to only Bandana Dee's look? Again, we would probably get his bandanna, sailor hat, and other headgear as costumes if he became a playable character.

No, you obviously don't get it at all.
Bandana Waddle Dee isn't being claimed as "extremely unique" solely because of the damn bandana.
What is being claimed (and what is entirely accurate) is that Bandana Waddle Dee is a DEFINED MAJOR CHARACTER that is distinct from the generic Waddle Dees.
The bandana is just a major part of his distinction. He's the only Dee to have one, or at least was until Rainbow Curse. Though it could just be that he has his own posse where he's the leader.
So yes, he would be generic without it; without it, he's just a regular Spear Waddle Dee.
Again, characterization means nothing in a title like Smash. You've admitted that Bandana Waddle Dee is Waddle Dee wearing a bandana design-wise. You've even admitted that he's not the only Bandana Waddle Dee in the Kirby games anymore. Why is it so hard to see the classic Waddle Dee design as the default costume and his bandana as an alternate should we get him as a playable character in Smash? It's like you think Waddle Dee is somehow a boring character without his bandana on.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Again, Impa was also in Skyward Sword. She'd be a better choice.
I never said Impa doesn't have a chance, I'm only stating that Ghirahim does have a chance.

Which veterans do you think will be DLC if time constraints come up as a problem?
If time constraints come up, I think it will either be Falco or Wolf, whichever is cut and Lucas.
I don't think Squirtle or Ivysaur are planned to be on the initial roster *cries a little* but I think they'd make perfect DLC characters.

Edit: Ugh, sorry for double post. I think I got an alert for someone posted here.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
This is going to sound like a very, VERY out there prediction and not one that has a ton of supporters or evidence behind it, but enough to the point where I do believe he has a chance.

Mach Rider.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/thumb...y_Melee.png/343px-Mach_Rider_Trophy_Melee.png

To describe Mach Rider, here's his trophy description from Melee: "After the destruction of his home town, Mach Rider jumped onto his machine-gun-equipped combat motorcycle and set off in search of a new home, destroying all the Quadrunners who got in his way. His motorcycle had four gears and endless ammunition. When hit, Mach Rider would break into fragments and then rejoin together." Now, you're probably asking yourself why I would possibly think that such an obscure an old character would make it into Super Smash Bros., but I think that's exactly what works in his favor. Ever since the Melee days, the character roster has generally included one long lost character from the NES era and shed new light on them. In Melee we had the Ice Climbers, in Brawl we had Pit (and also arguably R.O.B.), and we've yet to see a new retro character that represents the NES era in SSB4 yet. One could argue that Little Mac fits the bill, but he did have a reboot on the Wii. Now, if he was included in Brawl that would be a different story. But Mach Rider is just so obscure and out there that it seems like just the thing Sakurai would do. He also has a lot of moveset potential, a character that is always moving around on a vehicle that's equipped with machine gun is certainly an interesting idea and has apparently been experimented with before when Sakurai was thinking about adding the Excitebike racer to Melee. Now, I know he hasn't appeared in any super credible leaks or had too much of a major role in Super Smash Bros. games before, but he had that trophy in Melee I showed you as well as a remixed medley of music from the original Mach Rider as an alternate song for Big Blue, which reappeared as an unlockable song Brawl. I feel like Sakurai's been secretly supporting this character from the shadows but hasn't been ready to show him off yet...until now.

Last edited:

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
This is going to sound like a very, VERY out there prediction and not one that has a ton of supporters or evidence behind it, but enough to the point where I do believe he has a chance.

Mach Rider.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/thumb...y_Melee.png/343px-Mach_Rider_Trophy_Melee.png

To describe Mach Rider, here's his trophy description from Melee: "After the destruction of his home town, Mach Rider jumped onto his machine-gun-equipped combat motorcycle and set off in search of a new home, destroying all the Quadrunners who got in his way. His motorcycle had four gears and endless ammunition. When hit, Mach Rider would break into fragments and then rejoin together." Now, you're probably asking yourself why I would possibly think that such an obscure an old character would make it into Super Smash Bros., but I think that's exactly what works in his favor. Ever since the Melee days, the character roster has generally included one long lost character from the NES era and shed new light on them. In Melee we had the Ice Climbers, in Brawl we had Pit (and also arguably R.O.B.), and we've yet to see a new retro character that represents the NES era in SSB4 yet. One could argue that Little Mac fits the bill, but he did have a reboot on the Wii. Now, if he was included in Brawl that would be a different story. But Mach Rider is just so obscure and out there that it seems like just the thing Sakurai would do. He also has a lot of moveset potential, a character that is always moving around on a vehicle that's equipped with machine gun is certainly an interesting idea and has apparently been experimented with before when Sakurai was thinking about adding the Excitebike racer to Melee. Now, I know he hasn't appeared in any super credible leaks or had too much of a major role in Super Smash Bros. games before, but he had that trophy in Melee I showed you as well as a remixed medley of music from the original Mach Rider as an alternate song for Big Blue, which reappeared as an unlockable song Brawl. I feel like Sakurai's been secretly supporting this character from the shadows but hasn't been ready to show him off yet...until now.
Most people are banking on Takamaru being the retro character. He had a Nintendo Land section for who knows why, his music was in Brawl, Sakurai has expessed interest in him, and his game just got ported for the first time ever.

Mach Rider does have his own following on this board, though.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Looks like things have heated up here since E3. Well, looks like we're talking about veterans. Yeah, there was a surprising lack of them at E3. I originally hoped to see a few revealed all at the same time, starting with Game & Watch, at E3. Now that this hasn't happened, I'm not sure. It's hard to say who I think will be next. I honestly haven't a clue, mostly because there doesn't seem to be any games to use for reveals coming up. Maybe anniversaries will become a thing again?

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
All in all, I'm still hopeful that the Gematsu leak didn't reveal every newcomer, because there is so much support for certain newcomers, ( like K. Rool.)

D

Deleted member

@ RankoChan RankoChan
You have shown me nothing but ignorance and are conveniently using the Galaxy appearance for Captain Toad as opposed to the more relevant appearance from 3D World and his own game (which would be how he would appear in Smash) to make a point.

Rather than waste any more of my time and sanity continuing this idiotic discussion, I'm simply going to ignore you from here on out.

Last edited by a moderator:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
All in all, I'm still hopeful that the Gematsu leak didn't reveal every newcomer, because there is so much support for certain newcomers, ( like K. Rool.)
I don't think it did. Rosalina wasn't on his list at all, and, the Miis technically being Mii Fighters has me kinda suspicious, too.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Looks like things have heated up here since E3. Well, looks like we're talking about veterans. Yeah, there was a surprising lack of them at E3. I originally hoped to see a few revealed all at the same time, starting with Game & Watch, at E3. Now that this hasn't happened, I'm not sure. It's hard to say who I think will be next. I honestly haven't a clue, mostly because there doesn't seem to be any games to use for reveals coming up. Maybe anniversaries will become a thing again?
Famicom anniversary is at July 15th.

Maybe ROB?

D

Deleted member

I don't think it did. Rosalina wasn't on his list at all, and, the Miis technically being Mii Fighters has me kinda suspicious, too.
Except that they were listed as "Mii Fighters" in the latest leak right before their reveal.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
You know.... now that I think about it. You know I think will be DLC?

Takamaru.

Defintely Takamaru.

New untouched playstyle. Not present in the current build of the game, or in previous games. Very unpredictable compared to K.Rool, Isaac, and the like. Retro character. Can breathe new life and hype to a forgotten franchise...

Imo, DLC will be:

Lucas
Mewtwo
Takamaru

No more, no less, and in that order.

Calling it now, you heard it here first folks.
Kinda doubt Lucas Dlc, if he's out, he's out. Why would he be cut just to get added back in.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Interestingly enough for the rest of the Gematsu newcomers:

Rhythm Tengoku was released on August 3rd, the month for the next direct. (Rhythm Heaven DS and Fever were late July in Japan though) Not that it'll mean much, as only Lil Mac was revealed during an anniversary.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, how do you guys like my newest roster? (Thanks to Khoru for creating the image)
Yay for having K. Rool and Ridley.
Yay for Shulk.
I like the pick of Captain Toad, but I doubt he'll happen.
I still don't think Vaati's likely at all, but I know better than to try and convince you otherwise.
Dark Pit is certainly possible after Palutena's trailer, but he still seems odd to me.
No Jiggs? Are you insane?
Four Fire Emblem characters and all of them are sword-weilding lords? Why not Robin or Anna? For that matter, why Lucina over Chrom?
Snake's a bold choice. Especially after Sakurai mentioned how amazing it was to have Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man together. I would like Snake to make it back, but I don't think it's happening at this point bar DLC.
Is there a reason you doubt the Sal leak?

6.5/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom