• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
AND here we go again with people calling Chrom bland. I wonder how long it has been since this topic was brought up...
I completely understand Chrous man being "bland", though.
As one who has 100% FEA I can say, without a doubt, that Chrom has a bland fighting style up until he gets that one thing later in the game. The only problem being that the one thing wouldn't fit his character.
I find the Chorus Kids to be one of the most interesting ideas actually.
Yes, who doesn't want three ******* in bow ties running around, singing. That's the most unique and interesting thing ever.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
It depends for me.
If Chorus Kids = just Marshal, then I'm not interested.
But if it's a trio, they have my interest. That's something bold and new. Rhythm can easily tie into their moves.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yes, who doesn't want three ******* in bow ties running around, singing. That's the most unique and interesting thing ever.
I was talking about a character that has an emphasis on an rhythm based playstyle that involves you trying to keep up the momentum using your tools and having mechanics that reward you for playing in that style.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Found this interesting survey on reddit, post E-3. It shows voter confidence on potential characters as well as fan favorite veterans and newcomers. Be aware not everyone that voted is aware of the Gematsu leak.

http://imgur.com/a/iW7qq#S8YqhIU
Pretty sure that was already posted here.
Some guy posted the results of a survey about the opinions of possible newcomers.

Let me tell you, I'm more than mad that so many people hate Bandana Dee.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I was talking about a character that has an emphasis on an rhythm based playstyle that involves you trying to keep up the momentum using your tools and having mechanics that reward you for playing in that style.
I don't think anyone has successfully figured out a rhythm based moveset. If so, PM it to me.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Edit: Darn, posted already.
Nonetheless it is interesting to note the most well-received veterans were both Fire Emblem characters.
Interesting information there in the voter confidence imgur. The veteran information didn't really surprise me - people love their Waifu/Husbando Emblem - but the potential newcomer information did. A lot of the potential newcomers have really crappy voter confidence. Broke my heart to see so few people were confident in Geno, but I guess that's the way that cookie crumbles.

Having said that, I think that just kinda goes to show you that it's Sakurai's job to convince us his picks are worth playing.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
As long as people are posting rosters, I'm just gonna say I will automatically disapprove of any and all non-Gematsu rosters that lack Ray.

I expect Sakurai not to respect him as playable, but with a 3 gen 5 game series and an AT appearance in Brawl, he should not be so obscure to the fans.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
OMG, 4 Palutena avvys in a row. O.o

Anyway, it's because there's a rumor that supposedly they wanted to have EITHER Ness or Lucas in the roster.
...seeing how their specials are so alike, I can see why the worry. I mean, due to the whole customizing specials.

Unless they give Lucas/Ness different specials, I can see one of them being in danger. Even if I don't really believe it when I say it out loud, for some reason.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
The lack of Takamaru in recent rosters is surprising me. What's going on?
I'm guessing that with the Sal leak, and just plain as we go on with more reveals, people aren't finding much room for him anymore. Even if we get more unleaked newcomers, there can't be more than a few of them, and those slots typically go to K. Rool, Ridley, a Zelda newcomer, or some combination.

I'm of the opinion he was never very likely in the first place, so it's nice to get some community confirmation on that. His game just made it overseas, he only has one game and a few cameos, and doesn't have the same notoriety as Pit (I think? I heard he was popular in the West pre-brawl) or unique factor as Ice Climbers. I think the fact we've gotten a retro newcomer in Melee & Brawl is more coincidence than a pattern.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The lack of Takamaru in recent rosters is surprising me. What's going on?
47/48 characters is sounding more and more likely and Takamaru (and anyone else) just don't fit.

Sucks though, I actually want him in, just for the sake of having a samurai. Oh well.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
His game being released outside of Japan would hypothetically mean Nintendo is pushing the franchise for a revival, which helps Takamaru's case at being playable in SSB4 as the revived character.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Why do people believe that Lucas is getting cut from the game? That's one of the dumbest predictions for roster cuts I've ever heard.
Sal, Gematsu leaker, claimed that there was dispute upon which of the Mother characters should remain on the roster, apparently it is leaning towards Lucas getting dropped. However, there are plans for DLC characters, so Lucas will probably return anyways.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
You know... a second Namco third party isn't out of the running. Considering we haven't even had a reference to Dig Dug yet, it's possible he's a newcomer, it's just highly improbable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know... a second Namco third party isn't out of the running. Considering we haven't even had a reference to Dig Dug yet, it's possible he's a newcomer, it's just highly improbable.
Pookas are enemies in Smash Run.

However, they've become integrated with the Pac-Man franchise, so it's more than likely they're labeled as Pac-Man enemies as opposed to Dig Dug.
I seriously doubt a 2nd Bamco character.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer

Here is my prediction roster. I choose 55 characters because I thought the roster would be 50, but with Zero Suit and Sheik going solo, I changed it to 50.

I think the Gamtsi Leak will happen, but I believe that the Chorus Boys could be a mistranslation for Marshall.

I also have K Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Takamaru, Lip and Captain Rainbow as newcomers.

King K Rool seems to be hinted at by the Kremlings being in Smash run with other Nintendo All Star rivals. Plus the rumor of Chunky Kong being an Assist Trophy makes me think that there will be a DK newcomer.

Ridley seems to be hinted at, but if he was a boss, they would have probably then included Pyrosphere at the demo. Plus, I think it might be similar to ROB and Toon Link.

Mewtwo has been mentioned before by Sakurai, and is the second most popular Pokemon after Charizard. He uses his Y Mega as a Final Smash, because then both X and Y have a version exclusive Mega Evolution.

Takamaru seems to be getting a new game and had a minigame in NintendoLand.

Lip is the weakest character on my roster as now. Mostly she is for the Captain Rainbow trio.

Captain Rainbow is in because of the Not So Little Mac trophy. I don't think that they would include a trophy for that unless the main character was in the game.

If I had DLC spots, they would be Roy/Pichu/Dr. Mario/Young Link/Squirtle/Ivysaur and Isaac/Robin/Bandana Dee/Krystal/Black Shadow/Chibbi Robo.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Some guy posted the results of a survey about the opinions of possible newcomers.

Let me tell you, I'm more than mad that so many people hate Bandana Dee.
Hey Isaac is the highest non-leak newcomer, that's pretty neat!

No off-topics gifs in the future though plz.

Wow, that one is so negative. Only characters to get over 50% are Chrom, Shulk and veterans.
In other words its inaccurate and pointless cause k rool has <50%
Sounds about right, none of the non-leak potential newcomers have particularly good odds at this point.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
If Mewtwo gets in, I really hope that its Final Smash won't be a Mega.
Three Megas for Smash -_-

Although they are unique in a way (with Lucario's Aura going to the max at Mega Evo) I really dislike the fact that we have so many (similar?) transformation FSs

F***ing three Landmasters in Brawl good god >:C

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
If Mewtwo gets in, I really hope that its Final Smash won't be a Mega.
Three Megas for Smash -_-

Although they are unique in a way (with Lucario's Aura going to the max at Mega Evo) I really dislike the fact that we have so many (similar?) transformation FSs

F***ing three Landmasters in Brawl good god >:C
I hope the new Splatoon Rep obtains a Landmaster!

thesandman

Smash Cadet
Ive got a question. Seeing as how sakurai is including all of the big name characters because of their fame and being considered the video game pioneers, ive seen alot of websites suggesting characters like digdug and bomberman. What are your guys opinions on the retro characters that arent as well known as the 4 confirmed, but still deserve to be recognized as important to gaming history.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ive got a question. Seeing as how sakurai is including all of the big name characters because of their fame and being considered the video game pioneers, ive seen alot of websites suggesting characters like digdug and bomberman. What are your guys opinions on the retro characters that arent as well known as the 4 confirmed, but still deserve to be recognized as important to gaming history.
I think he's trying to recognize the biggest of the best that have connections with Nintendo in more than one way.
1.Mario- obvious
2.Sonic- Nintendo's original rival and Mario's new best friend
3. Mega Man- I think I remember hearing he was the first 3rd party character to appear on a Nintendo system and if that's true there's an obvious reason he was included.
4. Pac-Man- THE video game pioneer character and Miyamoto's favorite character.
5. Snake- Popular character on NES, But that's not a good reason, the best reason would be because Sakurai is friends with Kojima.
I do think Bomber Man deserves to be in but any other third party character? Not so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom