• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Crap. K, just delete all, spoiler tags and photos, I should not have posted that.

Ray MK III as a playable character, anyone?

I'd love to see a custom robo character :) It's a shame that the series has been dormant for so long, or else it would certainly receive a rep in smash 4.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I know, right! They could totally revitalize it in Smash. It has six games, and I think it has more than enough content/characters/etc. to merit it as its own Smash universe.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It's sick of absolutely all characters/discussions at this point. But we refuse to shut up until E3, so here we are.

Swords are clearly the main characters of Fire Emblem, anyway.

For that same reason I want a character people have "given up on/are 99% sure they're not in" to be revealed.

I don't count Greninja because that was so left field that and no one really cared that much for it prior to the reveal.
this_ends_now_by_rundash-d4zmfgr.jpg

Maxilian

Smash Ace
How about we talk about something I've yet to see here (watch, this'll be something we've gone over 300 times): What do we think is the likelihood of a 6th Mario character, and who do we think it'd be?

Personally, I'd grade it at about a 50% chance, and pick Paper Mario as the 6th character. Hey, he isn't in my top 20! I should fix that!
Bowser Jr, mostly because he is more popular than Paper Mario, he have unique attacks (i know that PM also have unique attacks) and he's a villain (something we are lacking).:drohyou:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Exactly.
Robin doesn't need to be on the battlefield - they're technically always present as they are the Tactician, therefore every strategic decision the player makes is Robin.
Dont know what the hell your talking about...never played FE in my life but i want Robin in because there needs to be a Batman and Robin event match.

Batman is ofc Cpt.Falcon

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Dont know what the hell your talking about...never played FE in my life but i want Robin in because there needs to be a Batman and Robin event match.

Batman is ofc Cpt.Falcon
Well that's a pretty cool idea :drflip:

Oks... guys if Mewtwo ends up being a playable character, what do you want his ultimate to be? His X form? his Y form? or something completely different?:drohmy:

I personally want his Y form :drohyou:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I do like the idea of "promoting" some of Brawl's AT's into playable characters, and Ray MK III would be a good option, but we need to get Isaac, and maybe even (dare I say it?) Tingle first, in my opinion.
I always liked the idea of Isaac as a playable character but i really doubt it will happen :drsad:, and Tingle.... I HATE THAT GUY! :drflip:, well... i don't really hate him but i want Ghirahim and we all know that if one of them gets in, it takes the spot of the other :drshrug:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Even if Ray had a post-Brawl game, it wouldn't really mean much for his chances. Just look at Saki and Starfy.

Here's my comparison: Isaac hypothetically gets into Brawl, and now, we get both Saki and Shulk turned playable. Can they be differentiated from each other. Yeah. Does their simultaneous inclusion as three blond young male sword users from D or F-List RPGs feel hackneyed and drab? Absolutely, IMO.
They are about as "redundant" as including Marth, Ike and Takamaru in the roster and thus aren't good examples.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So what new kinds of fighters would you like to see in Smash?

I've heard arguments for shapeshifters (Slime and the Plasm Wraith), polearm wielders (Ganon and Bandana Dee) and mech-pilots (Porky and Dr. Wily)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I know it's not gonna happen, but imagine Chaos from Sonic.

He can turn into water, has multiple forms, and a clear cut amazing final smash, his final form, perfect chaos.

I've just always imagined him as an amazing fighter. One of the best Sonic characters to date imo.

Niala

Smash Ace

I've heard arguments for shapeshifters (Slime and the Plasm Wraith), polearm wielders (Ganon and Bandana Dee) and mech-pilots (Porky and Dr. Wily)
Interesting ideas, the only one that I don't really like is mechs. Shapeshifters could be interesting, but with the evident cut to battle transformations it might be harder to apply it-- you could have them shift during their attacks, of course, but how does that differ from somebody like Game&Watch, whose arsenal consists of relatively random objects that appear out of nowhere? It could still be fun, though. I really like the idea of Chaos from Sonic Adventure now that it's presented itself.

Polearm wielders could probably be broadened to include all kinds of weapons, really (save perhaps swords, we have enough of those). Bandana Dee has interested me for some time, but even somebody like Bowser Jr. with his Magic Brush could has a lot of potential as a weapon wielder.

I'm not really sure what to respond in regards to mechs. I just... don't think they fit, I suppose.

Before the direct, I had come up with a moveset for Anna where she switched weapons, although I never posted it since it was based off of a DownSpecial switch between her staff and sword, and it's evident that wouldn't work with this iteration of Smash. I still think it presents an interesting and unique idea, though.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman

He can turn into water, has multiple forms, and a clear cut amazing final smash, his final form, perfect chaos.

I've just always imagined him as an amazing fighter. One of the best Sonic characters to date imo.
Honestly, I wish that Sonic could be treated as a Nintendo character, which is to say that he could have multiple playable characters. His franchise has a wealth of interesting and potentially unique fighters. Chaos would certainly be one that I'd be thrilled to see, and there are plenty of other, lesser-known Sonic characters that could truly be unique and interesting fighters.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I am not even remotely worried about Mewtwo. Sakurai would have to be a complete idiot to not put him in.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Him and Metal Sonic are my favorites.

A paper character that can fold into different shapes like a boat(to swim) or airplane(to glide). :troll:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Paper Mario looks more substantial than G&W, so I guess slightly heavier than that?

As for new weapons? Short of Simon Belmont it seems impossible, but I think a whip-user would be pretty cool. He could have a low damage and knockback but an amazing keep away game and decent mobility with his whip. Mad grab game too.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

A rhythm-based fighter, a puzzle-based fighter, a whip-based fighter, someone with a bunch of tail attacks, someone who uses their hair to fight, and someone like Green Lantern, having the ability to materialize random objects through an object they wear - like a ring or a bracelet.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
hello i joined this forum to share these informations about super smash bros for wiiu and nintendo 3ds.
i'm japanese so don't care about possible grammar errors.
i work at nintendo and 2 my friends talked to me about a leak that made the director very furious.
i serched about that leak and i found this forum.
it seemed that you want to know about the characters so i wanted to make you happy.
i created this secret account to don't do the bad end of that person that has leaked those images, in fact he told everyone about that.
but i don't think it's enough so i put intentionaly 3 wrong informations to make this leak seeming a fake leak.

before starting i want to talk about 2 leaks:
the first one is that leak i talked about, the palutena leak.
it is true and as i said before the person that leaked it was fired because he told everyone about it.
the second one is the sal leak.
it is half right, in fact chrous men, chrom and shulk aren't playable.

now here there are the informations i have for you:

many stages hint to some playable characters;

balloon fight=balloon fighter
pyrosphere=ridley
arena ferox=my unit
jungle japes=king k rool
halbert=metaknight
tomodachi life/find mii=mii
palutena temple=palutena

before the direct gerudo valley=sheik and prism tower=greninja

ridley, my unit, king k rool and mii have alternate costumes

that's all i can say about characters

now i have to go but i have some informations about items and stages and smash run.
if i have time i will post them
Plz be real even though 100/ fake........

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well its kinda hard to tell you're not a robot king because of your profile pic
I am a robot king. Super king. I have all the powers of super man, and a king. also, I can extend my arms

But seriously, you do understand why people thought you mean bayleef? Not only the incorrect pokemon, but then you waited days to post again.

While Gen 3 starters have slightly more of a chance, most people 'round here will still dislike that option, as the common opinion is there will be 2 more pokemon in the game, jigglypuff and mewtwo.

of course, I don't speak for everyone. Your roster just had a bunch of choices on it that I thought were odd in general, and you left out a few characters I like, which is why I didn't like it, personally.

D

Deleted member

Yeah that was just Megaman, the rest were Villager and Wii Fit Trainer and they were obviously not one of the most wanted newcomers.
The point is that it's not impossible to see Ridley/K. Rool/Mewtwo at E3 if they are playable. Also, an Animal Crossing rep was very highly requested pre-Brawl, so it's likely their inclusion was influenced from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think a 6th mario rep is possible and I think it will either be bowser jr or paper mario but (and there's a little biais in that) I think paper mario has a little more chance than jr here's why:

Both of the characters would be added because of their uniqueness. That's how I see them I see their uniqueness as one of the main reason to worth a 6th rep. However, paper mario has an advantage that is quite unusual: since he's from a different series, he has more potential than what you would actually expect. I see alot of people claiming that it would be the toon link situation all over again but it goes ALOT further than this.

Toon link has one thing in common with him: he's the same main character but represented differently. The main inconvenient with toon link is that if you look at the whole character, even if you try, he would still feel like link which is why he ended up being a clone. This is due to the fact that not only he is link but also because he come from the same series as link which also means similar abilities.

Here, this is not the case. Paper mario is mario but is from an rpg series while the main series is a platformer. Therefore, to suit the character, he HAS to have a playstyle not suited for platformer abilities but rather rpg abilities. But it gets even better: because of this, it has a so big potential in like every department that he is more unique than enough. There's a reason why I think he has "infinite potential" go to the thread to check for yourself it's crazy. There's even potential to have gimmicks and you know how Sakurai might like those.

Also, may people can claim that the main series is repped properly. However that is not the case with paper mario: with only trophies and stickers, it deserves more than that. To put this in perspective, M&L got one music so why paper mario, with one of the most diverse ost, can't have a single one? So, not only there's a need for uniqueness and big potential but also for the series itself. We know Sakurai likes to rep new series now so why not doing the same for this series? There's a big need for it.

That is why I think his chance are helped a little more than jr. Both are worthy addition and Sakurai will have the final word on it. Also, no paper mario has no advantage by reping his own series instead of the main one because it doesn't matter that he's from the paper mario series and that he would be added because of how big his potential is not because of which series he reped.

Would like to receive feedbacks on this. Remember, my opinion, my interpretation.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Yeah that was just Megaman, the rest were Villager and Wii Fit Trainer and they were obviously not one of the most wanted newcomers.
But how many surprise characters can Sakurai really put in without alienating not just Smash fans, but Nintendo fans? I understand that surprises can keep things exciting, but anticipated newcomers do a similar thing as well. The roster needs to be a healthy combination of both.

My theory is that Sakurai showed most of the surprises so far (Rosalina, WFT) and this E3 will have more of what we expect, such as addition of some expected newcomers. Of course, there will be more surprises, such as how the Sal leak says Chorus Men, but It would be strange to see nothing but WTF characters from this point on. I would also be pretty disappointed, as would others, with nothing else but surprises.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The point is that it's not impossible to see Ridley/K. Rool/Mewtwo at E3 if they are playable. Also, an Animal Crossing rep was very highly requested pre-Brawl, so it's likely their inclusion was influenced from there.
Ironically, showing a "surprise character" is the most predictable and the least exciting thing that Sakurai could do at this point, considering WFT (and to a lesser extend, Rosalina, the Villager and Greninja).

D

Deleted member

Ironically, showing a "surprise character" is the most predictable and the least exciting thing that Sakurai could do at this point, considering WFT (and to a lesser extend, Rosalina, the Villager and Greninja).
I'm not sure if there's even going to be any surprise characters at E3 this time around (counting Chorus Men). Pac-Man and Mii are obviously going to be there and a third newcomer would probably be a very highly anticipated character; someone like Palutena (most likely), Shulk, King K. Rool or Mewtwo would fit that bill.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Would you rather have the main protagonist (who is literally a flat Mario) in a niche series than the secondary antagonist of the franchise and main villain of New Super Mario Bros, the best selling main Mario sub-series at this point?

Yeah.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Would you rather have the main protagonist (who is literally a flat Mario) in a niche series than the secondary antagonist of the franchise and main villain of New Super Mario Bros, the best selling main Mario sub-series at this point?
Since when was Bowser Jr. the big bad of anything?

Also, I pick neither.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Yeah.
I'd rather have the main protagonist who's literally a flat Mario with almost an infinite possibility of an astonishing moveset. Bowser Jr. is a great choice, but I will always support Paper Mario over any Mario character. Bowser Jr. isn't always the secondary antagonist and isn't the main antagonist of any game. If anything, he played a ginormous role in Sunshine and I guess you could consider him the main antagonist there, with some imagination of course.
We have two Link's, two Samus's, and technically two Zelda's. Two Mario's isn't preposterous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom