• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You, I like you. I'm in the same boat in thinking KI doesn't deserve a second character at this point in time. If we get a new KI character, but not a new DK one, I'll be furious.
I'm the opposite. Despite being a huge DKC fan, I could easily live without a third character. I frankly dislike K.Rool (don't get the wrong idea now, I think it'd be cool if he's in) and while I DO love Dixie, I have no idea what she could bring to the table. I said it here anyway, I'd rather an arcade DK rep to be the third rep, but that ain't happening so eh.

On the other hand, Uprising is the only Kid Icarus game I played, and Palutena is by far my least favorite out of the main cast, but I still think she deserves in. Hell the title of the series in Japan is her namesake.

Knowwuh

Smash Cadet
SmashBoards needs a Villager No. 6 head icon pronto. :4villager:

I'm not going to say Kid Icarus doesn't deserve another character, but I'll agree that Donkey Kong deserves one waaay before KI. I'd be furious as well.
I like Palutena, but I definitely agree that DK (and Metroid) need some more love too.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Today we saw 4 of the Villager's costumes/palettes. Now, I'd like to point out that all but one(the one that stares at your soul) are exactly like the possible starting character in Animal Crossing: City Folk.
So that brings me to some more speculation. What colors are left? We've seen, Red(default), possibly a pink, yellow, and green. Also note that it could be possible that we'll get a similar scenario like Wario. Maybe you can switch between a male or female with a full set of palettes, or maybe we'll get 3 males and 3 females for a total of 6 palettes.
On a side note, BAA is a serious drug abuser and BAB is possessed.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I think Villager is gonna take Olimar's spot in Classic Mode
The spot where you fight a bunch of them.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Yep. I also believe Metroid deserves another rep way before KI, because, sure, Samus and ZZS are separate slots... but when it comes down to it, we only have Samus playable from the Metroid series. but unfortunately... well... that's still in the shadows up in the air

@ Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur
I basically agree with 99% of that post. the 1% is I really won't be shocked at any inclusions/leave outs at this point. When you expect to be surprised, the shock value lessens a bit.

But i was a huge advocate for no cuts (other than the cloniest of clones) pre brawl, and I agree, the only exclusion that surprised me was mewtwo. I liked Roy a lot more until I went and played his game and realized how much of a little prick he was, xD

I just have trouble seeing them cut jiggles. Why would they drop a 64 vet? I feel those are the ones you start from.
That's a good point. When I say shocked, I only mean that I will be genuinely surprised. Including Mewtwo as a super-secret-surprise hidden character makes so much sense, given the demand and the marketability, that the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't do it would be to give more priority to other Pokémon.
I would agree that, at this point, Jigglypuff is safer than Mewtwo, and not just because she's been in every game to date. Jiggs is also the only girly Pokemon in Smash, for lack of a better word, so I would imagine the devs see her as appealing to certain demographic. And again, she can be used to hype up the new Fairy type. Beyond that, she would be easier to include than Mewtwo, who would need a major redesign from his Melee days.

I am trying to keep my hype for newcomers down, because, if my expectations are low, then I won't feel too let down if my wishes don't come true, and I will be overjoyed if they do.
I remember the months leading up to Melee's release, I was playing the heck out of Golden Sun, and Isaac was my most wanted newcomer for Melee. I didn't expect him, but I hoped. When I saw Roy's challenger approaching silhouette, I was out of my mind excited. I was sure it was Isaac. Who else? Then I saw it was only Fire Marth. I was devastated, and genuinely angry when I found out about Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link, haha. But I was a kid then.

In the months leading up to Brawl, my most wanted newcomers were Charizard, R.O.B., Ridley, Isaac, Little Mac, and Olimar, from what I remember. And I was pleasantly surprised, for the most part.

Now, I'm looking forward to the game, but I'm tempering my hype. I don't know who to expect, so every newcomer thus far has been a pleasant surprise. I will say that I was literally fist-pumping and flailing like an idiot when Mac's trailer debuted. He was my most wanted newcomer this time around.

Edit: I agree about Metroid needing another rep before Kid Icarus. I still consider the zero suit as an alternate form for Samus, and not a standalone character, even if Samus does have two slots on the CSS. She's still one character. Not that I have anything against Palutena. I think she's the best choice after Pit for the series. I'd just like a second Metroid character, that's all.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
That's a good point. When I say shocked, I only mean that I will be genuinely surprised. Including Mewtwo as a super-secret-surprise hidden character makes so much sense, given the demand and the marketability, that the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't do it would be to give more priority to other Pokémon.
I would agree that, at this point, Jigglypuff is safer than Mewtwo, and not just because she's been in every game to date. Jiggs is also the only girly Pokemon in Smash, for lack of a better word, so I would imagine the devs see her as appealing to certain demographic. And again, she can be used to hype up the new Fairy type. Beyond that, she would be easier to include than Mewtwo, who would need a major redesign from his Melee days.

I am trying to keep my hype for newcomers down, because, if my expectations are low, then I won't feel too let down if my wishes don't come true, and I will be overjoyed if they do.
I remember the months leading up to Melee's release, I was playing the heck out of Golden Sun, and Isaac was my most wanted newcomer for Melee. I didn't expect him, but I hoped. When I saw Roy's challenger approaching silhouette, I was out of my mind excited. I was sure it was Isaac. Who else? Then I saw it was only Fire Marth. I was devastated, and genuinely angry when I found out about Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link, haha. But I was a kid then.

In the months leading up to Brawl, my most wanted newcomers were Charizard, R.O.B., Ridley, Isaac, Little Mac, and Olimar, from what I remember. And I was pleasantly surprised, for the most part.

Now, I'm looking forward to the game, but I'm tempering my hype. I don't know who to expect, so every newcomer thus far has been a pleasant surprise. I will say that I was literally fist-pumping and flailing like an idiot when Mac's trailer debuted. He was my most wanted newcomer this time around.

Edit: I agree about Metroid needing another rep before Kid Icarus. I still consider the zero suit as an alternate form for Samus, and not a standalone character, even if Samus does have two slots on the CSS. She's still one character. Not that I have anything against Palutena. I think she's the best choice after Pit for the series. I'd just like a second Metroid character, that's all.
Ha, I can relate on a few points. Young link and doc were the dumbest things ever to me, back then.

My Brawl list was basically Charizard, Ridley, Ray01, and isaac, and bomberman. so while I was a bit disappointed, one that I didn't expect, Charizard, got in. (I didn't expect bomberman at all haha)
The fact that he's solo now makes me even happier, he's probably cemented his place in the franchise for good.

While I'm not sure Metroid will ever get it's day, I honestly have been happy with every newcomer so far. I feel like Isaac still stands a chance this time around, and although less likely, Ray01 might even get his chance to shine. I also love the idea of a playable mach rider, where he's always on his bike. If that happens, I totally leaked it. leaker source: sakurai is my dad.

Honestly, at this point, if I see Ridley, Mewtwo, Ray01, or Isaac playable, and there aren't any major cuts, I'll be super happy. I think the only way this game could disappoint me at this point is if the only other newcomers are from sal's leak and there are substantial vet cuts.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Because people still treat seniority as an actual factor to inclusion.

by people i mean those who speculate. There is no proof that the game devs care about getting jiggs in this time because of seniority
What is Jiggly in Brawl and Mewtwo cut.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm loving the Villager's alts, but none besides the original really appeal to me and the other guy is even more psycho killer. I think there'll be a whole pallet set for each, six males and six females. There is one thing I'd really like to see though, it'd be amazing if you could use your New Leaf data to get your own mayor as an outfit in Smash 3DS and even transfer it to the Wii U version as well. I would main Villager all day long if I could play as my mayor. Gotta dust off New Leaf.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Yeah, I'm really excited to see so many costumes for Villager. I mean, I have totally expected at least a girl Villager alt costume ever since the male fitness trainer was shown a while back, but I'm glad Villager has so many options. I do kind of hope for a few more, and I do like the idea of being able to import one's character from New Leaf.

I'm hopeful that there will be many more alt costumes, at least one for most characters. If only WFT and Villager's alts had been shown so far, I would be more pessimistic and only expect the nameless, voiceless fighters to get basic gender swaps.
But after seeing wireframe Mac and even Wario's two costumes in Brawl, I'm cautiously optimistic. I think we could possibly see a number of alt costumes for any character that would make sense, so long as the character's name and size would stay the same (Peach would not become Daisy, Pikachu would not become Raichu, etc.).
I'd love to see Dr. Mario, Skyward Link and Zelda, the Fusion suit or possibly some other suits for Samus, Link's Outset or conductor clothes, and some others, and honestly, I could see it happening. I question we would see the same level of fan service as in Project M, but hey, I can dream.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So new topic, could Ness possibly have a :lucas:alt. costume and a Ninten alt. costume in the game?
No.

And in response to the topic before, I think that Mewtwo can very well get in over Jigglypuff, since she was such low priority in Brawl.

That being said there's no reason not to include both.

And if Palutena gets in without K. Rool I'll be disappointed but I love them both. Getting one is a blessing, I suppose.
Even though K. Rool needs to be in this game.

Last edited:

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
So new topic, could Ness possibly have a :lucas:alt. costume and a Ninten alt. costume in the game?
Probably not at all. As far as we've seen, alternate costumes can represent another character only in color scheme (ie. Peach's Daisy alt). They're there to allow you to play with different outfits/iterations of the same character, not to cram in several characters with similar appearances. It'd be like having Falco and Wolf as alternate costumes for Fox, despite the fact that Falco and Wolf are individual characters in their own rights. We will probably never see characters actually become another separate character for an alternate costume - that would poorly represent the character(s) in question. I'm pretty sure I've even read a statement from Sakurai regarding that exact situation, but I could be mistaken.

Then again, Ninten can kind of be considered an earlier iteration of Ness, at least in his concept and design. It's possible Ness could have an alt that represents him, I guess.

Last edited:

Gune

Smash Lord
Nah that would be a kick in the face to Lucas fans and sakurai knows it.
And in response to the topic before, I think that Mewtwo can very well get in over Jigglypuff, since she was such low priority in Brawl.
And so was toon link yet he was the second brawl vet revealed, brawl priority=\=ssb4 priority.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I just can't see Toon Link getting in yet Jigglypuff getting the shaft.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Only difference is that Toon Link has his own kind of importance in the Zelda series and Jigglypuff is just a Pokemon who has only Fairy type in her favor to get in SSB4. :p
So it makes sense.
No.
Toon Link's importance is basically fabricated. Toon Link is Link with a different name and dinner plate eyes. Jigglypuff is a unique character that is independent of other Pokemon.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I just beat Fire Emblem Awakening for the first time. I hate Chrom even more now. And it's become evident that Avatar would be the much better character choice. Oh and for the love of all things good, let's get a Lucina alt for Marth! Chrom's personality doesn't offer much and I think that Avatar is really the brains of the operation. Chrom is really just the puppet who acts as the king.

I mean Ike wouldn't always listen to Soren, he just confided in him. Heck a lot of the time he doesn't listen to Soren. Chrom I think never really went on his own path.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I just beat Fire Emblem Awakening for the first time. I hate Chrom even more now. And it's become evident that Avatar would be the much better character choice. Oh and for the love of all things good, let's get a Lucina alt for Marth! Chrom's personality doesn't offer much and I think that Avatar is really the brains of the operation. Chrom is really just the puppet who acts as the king.
Exactly.
Robin doesn't need to be on the battlefield - they're technically always present as they are the Tactician, therefore every strategic decision the player makes is Robin.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I suspect people expecting a Lucina alt will be disappointed. It's not like Villager or WFT or Wario where the alt costume still is Villager or WFT or Wario, Lucina is not the same character as Marth, and can't be retconned into being the same character like Little Mac's alt.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I suspect people expecting a Lucina alt will be disappointed. It's not like Villager or WFT or Wario where the alt costume still is Villager or WFT or Wario, Lucina is not the same character as Marth.
actually, for a large section of FE awakening, Lucina was effectively the same character as marth, lol

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No, I don't understand how anyone thinks it's likely.

Lucina and Marth fight completely different and have a different body shape. It would be awkward to have them use the same bones.

Chrom over Ike, on the other hand...however unlikely as it is, it would work.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
No, I don't understand how anyone thinks it's likely.

Lucina and Marth fight completely different and have a different body shape. It would be awkward to have them use the same bones.

Chrom over Ike, on the other hand...however unlikely as it is, it would work.
I disagree with this on both points

Lucina could basically fit of marth pretty easy, just like the difference between the fit trainers. except less obvious gender changes. because marth is a girl.

And Chrom and Ike are very different. Ike is built a lot bigger, and his swordplay is much different. Would not work at all.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I suspect people expecting a Lucina alt will be disappointed. It's not like Villager or WFT or Wario where the alt costume still is Villager or WFT or Wario, Lucina is not the same character as Marth, and can't be retconned into being the same character like Little Mac's alt.
Why wouldn't a Lucina alt work? Both Marth and Lucina are women after all.

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
I just can't see Toon Link getting in yet Jigglypuff getting the shaft.
I think people were wrong to assume Toon Link was such an obvious cut, just given Wind Waker's success and importance. Like... I can see how, with his low priority in Brawl and clone status, he'd seem expendable. But still, he fills the (apparently) crucial niche of "child link", and represents one of the most popular and successful games in his series. Lots of veterans are in a worse position than he was.

Not sure whether or not Jigglypuff is among those veterans, though. Her seniority and Fairy-Type could mean a lot, or nothing at all. It'll be hard to say until we know whether she's in or not. She's only in real competition with Mewtwo, though, and that's only if Pokemon is limited to 5 slots.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I disagree with this on both points

Lucina could basically fit of marth pretty easy, just like the difference between the fit trainers. except less obvious gender changes. because marth is a girl.

And Chrom and Ike are very different. Ike is built a lot bigger, and his swordplay is much different. Would not work at all.

Wrong. very wrong.

Chrom and Ike are both very muscular and wield a two-handed sword with one hand.

Marth is actually somewhat muscular as well in his own series; Lucina, however, is built very thin, so that it is clear she is effeminate even before she removes the mask. Plus, she uses the same fighting style as Chrom, which is drastically different from Marth's.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Lucina obv could work as an alt for Marth, look at the WFTs, but just because it could work doesn't mean it'll happen.

Why wouldn't a Lucina alt work? Both Marth and Lucina are women after all.
Lucina is too masculine in comparison though. :p

Morbi

Scavenger
Lucina obv could work as an alt for Marth, look at the WFTs, but just because it could work doesn't mean it'll happen.

Lucina is too masculine in comparison though. :p
It could work, but at that rate, it would probably be "Masked Marth." I don't necessarily think we will get full-blown Lucina.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It could work, but at that rate, it would probably be "Masked Marth." I don't necessarily think we will get full-blown Lucina.
Like I've said above, I don't think we're going to any version of Lucina as a Marth alt... it wouldn't work as a simple palette swap and they're not the same character like the other alts have been.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Oh one more point on not wanting Chrom I'd like to make. In the past three Fire Emblem games the characters you make decisions as are Ike, Micaiah, and Avatar. Not Chrom. So it seems more fitting not to have him. Heck in the remake of Marth's games I think you can only make decisions as him

Morbi

Scavenger
Like I've said above, I don't think we're going to any version of Lucina as a Marth alt... it wouldn't work as a simple palette swap and they're not the same character like the other alts have been.
That is the interesting notion about Lucina though, she is supposed to be Marth at the beginning of Awakening. They aren't the same character, but they share the same name, so the example isn't comparable to Black Shadow as a Ganondorf alternate or something to that extent. It is one of the alts were a different character might be applicable. But as you say, probably not.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Wrong. very wrong.

Chrom and Ike are both very muscular and wield a two-handed sword with one hand.

Marth is actually somewhat muscular as well in his own series; Lucina, however, is built very thin, so that it is clear she is effeminate even before she removes the mask. Plus, she uses the same fighting style as Chrom, which is drastically different from Marth's.
I'm kinda flabbergasted, I feel I could use those same pictures to issue my points. I'd keep arguing but honestly I really don't care what fire emblem characters are included. I feel 3 blue haired swordsmen would be a little boring, and someone other than a sword user would be cool, but thats about as far as my opinions go.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm kinda flabbergasted, I feel I could use those same pictures to issue my points. I'd keep arguing but honestly I really don't care what fire emblem characters are included. I feel 3 blue haired swordsmen would be a little boring, and someone other than a sword user would be cool, but thats about as far as my opinions go.
I suppose in that case, you'd prefer Robin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom