• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
The reason I feel that way is mainly because Chrom in Smash sounds kinda boring to me. But you're right. I should finish the game before I decide who my favorites are.
Honestly, I would ideally like to see Ike return ("Prepare yourself!" has become as iconic to my friends and I as "Show me your moves!" and "Falcon PAWNCH!").
If there is a new FE fighter, I just want them to be distinct and fun to play as. I'm not picky who it is.

In terms of who is most likely of the three Awakening characters, I find Chrom to be the most likely, more so than Robin or Lucina. As you pointed out, Chrom is the face of Awakening, is the most recognizable character from it and could get pushed into the game by IS as a result.
Now, as for Lucina... I'd suggest you play through the game entirely before saying she's the most likely. I'm not sure how far into the game you are, but after her first couple of appearances, she doesn't really hang around or do much. She has a big impact on the game through her actions, but at the same time, she doesn't really do a lot.
So, kind of like Sheik. ;)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also I find it ironic that N3ON is persistent with saying that a Lucina alt would never happen for Marth, even though that Marth and Lucina have actually shared the same model in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Which isn't surprising since the DLC characters recycle character models.

Also pantless Marth is the only option, Lucina need not apply.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, kind of like Sheik. ;)
In a way, yes. Although in terms of Smash, considering that Sheik is Zelda, one of the most important characters to the entire Zelda franchise, I think her inclusion with Zelda made sense, even if Sheik herself did little.

Morbi

Scavenger
In a way, yes. Although in terms of Smash, considering that Sheik is Zelda, one of the most important characters to the entire Zelda franchise, I think her inclusion with Zelda made sense, even if Sheik herself did little.
I would agree with you; but I have a concurring opinion. Sheik does contribute a lot to Ocarina of Time, she is actually probably the most prevalent character, more so than Ganondorf, more so than Zelda, more so than Sariah. I mean; Sheik, as a plot device, was essential to the game.

I suppose the same could be said about Lucina, but then we come back to your first notion: Sheik is Zelda. So it makes any discrepancy negligible.

"I am Groot!"

Last edited:

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Oh, putting her in Melee made perfect sense. Giving Zelda an alter-ego transformation helped make her more interesting, and Sheik turned out to be really cool.

I would agree with you; but I have a concurring opinion. Sheik does contribute a lot to Ocarina of Time, she is actually probably the most prevalent character, more so than Ganondorf, more so than Zelda, more so than Sariah. I mean; Sheik, as a plot device, was essential to the game.

I suppose the same could be said about Lucina, but then we come back to your first notion: Sheik is Zelda. So it makes any discrepancy negligible.
I question whether she would have made it in initially if she weren't Zelda, though. This time around, she had the benefit of appearing in two SSB games, being a fan favorite character, and having been in Ocarina of Time 3D, where yes, despite only appearing on occasion, she plays an important role in the story.

On a related note, I actually don't expect that, if there is a Legend of Zelda newcomer, for it to be a one-and-done character like Ghirahim. Skull Kid didn't make it into Melee, Midna and Zant didn't make it into Brawl, so I would be surprused by a newcomer from Skyward Sword, especially since not even Link and Zelda were updated to their Skyward incarnations. I would assume that the logic behind this was that the Twilight Princess designs would look better in HD, and also so that Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf would all match. I hope Link and Zelda have some alt costumes, though. Skyward Zelda would be especially interesting since she looks so different than Twilight Princess Zelda.

Anyway, the recurring characters, Link, Zelda, Ganon, seem to be the ones who make the cut. I kind of expect Tetra or even Tingle to make the cut rather than Ghirahim, given that they've appeared in more than one game. Maybe that's my personal bias talking though. I do think The Wind Waker could see another rep. Before the no transformations reveal I would have expected a Zelda/Tetra combo, with a Spirit Tracks-inspired Phantom as a Final Smash, but now, I could still see Tetra. She's been in a few games, including the recent TWW HD.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I question whether she would have made it in initially if she weren't Zelda, though. This time around, she had the benefit of appearing in two SSB games, being a fan favorite character, and having been in Ocarina of Time 3D, where yes, despite only appearing on occasion, she plays an important role in the story.

On a related note, I actually don't expect that, if there is a Legend of Zelda newcomer, for it to be a one-and-done character like Ghirahim. Skull Kid didn't make it into Melee, Midna and Zant didn't make it into Brawl, so I would be surprused by a newcomer from Skyward Sword, especially since not even Link and Zelda were updated to their Skyward incarnations. I would assume that the logic behind this was that the Twilight Princess designs would look better in HD, and also so that Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf would all match. I hope Link and Zelda have some alt costumes, though. Skyward Zelda would be especially interesting since she looks so different than Twilight Princess Zelda.

Anyway, the recurring characters, Link, Zelda, Ganon, seem to be the ones who make the cut. I kind of expect Tetra or even Tingle to make the cut rather than Ghirahim, given that they've appeared in more than one game. Maybe that's my personal bias talking though. I do think The Wind Waker could see another rep. Before the no transformations reveal I would have expected a Zelda/Tetra combo, with a Spirit Tracks-inspired Phantom as a Final Smash, but now, I could still see Tetra. She's been in a few games, including the recent TWW HD.
It's not often that you see someone saying Tetra is one of the more likely Zelda newcomers. Regardless, I actually agree with you. Despite how often she gets overlooked, I think Tetra has a lot in her favor, such as actually being a recurring character, being the Zelda of the Toon timeline, and having a recent remake on the Wii U, which actually gives her more relevance than even Ghirahim. Not to mention, the fact that she's a pirate gives her some unique potential for a move set as we haven't really had a character like that in Smash before. I don't claim that she's a shoo-in or even a likely addition, but I think she has a lot more of a chance than people give her credit for.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's not often that you see someone saying Tetra is one of the more likely Zelda newcomers. Regardless, I actually agree with you. Despite how often she gets overlooked, I think Tetra has a lot in her favor, such as actually being a recurring character, being the Zelda of the Toon timeline, and having a recent remake on the Wii U, which actually gives her more relevance than even Ghirahim. Not to mention, the fact that she's a pirate gives her some unique potential for a move set as we haven't really had a character like that in Smash before. I don't claim that she's a shoo-in or even a likely addition, but I think she has a lot more of a chance than people give her credit for.
I honestly felt as though Ghirahim was more relevant to Skyward Sword than Tetra was to Wind Waker. But again, Tetra is Zelda, so those discrepancies are automatically negligible. However, I would be very interested in seeing a more pirate-esque move-set. It would compliment Sheik's ninja-esque move-set.

I want to believe that Ganon is the most likely Legend of Zelda representative based on prominence and prevalence (and move-set potential, to an extent, as they have not really divulged into moves pertinent to Ganondorf). I don't mind Tingle, I just feel like he is going to get the Waluigi treatment.

"I am Groot!"

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don't think Tingle will make it into the game, mostly because he isn't very well liked in general. From what I've heard, he's also not highly requested by the Japanese fanbase, that honor goes to Ghirahim.

It's most likely that Little Mac will remain the only promoted Assist Trophy, and that Tingle will be revealed as an AT soon.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't think Tingle will make it into the game, mostly because he isn't very well liked in general. From what I've heard, he's also not highly requested by the Japanese fanbase, that honor goes to Ghirahim.

It's most likely that Little Mac will remain the only promoted Assist Trophy, and that Tingle will be revealed as an AT soon.
Hopefully Sakurai pays attention to the Japanese fan-base, I would really enjoy Ghirahim in Smash. It would also incite future speculators to be more intelligent and not throw around fallacious arguments such as, "a character shouldn't be included based on their merit and popularity, they should be included if they are reoccurring characters." Most of those incompetent people imply that if Ghirahim had made one additional appearance, no matter how insignificant, that he would be plausible.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I honestly felt as though Ghirahim was more relevant to Skyward Sword than Tetra was to Wind Waker. But again, Tetra is Zelda, so those discrepancies are automatically negligible. However, I would be very interested in seeing a more pirate-esque move-set. It would compliment Sheik's ninja-esque move-set.

I want to believe that Ganon is the most likely Legend of Zelda representative based on prominence and prevalence (and move-set potential, to an extent, as they have not really divulged into moves pertinent to Ganondorf). I don't mind Tingle, I just feel like he is going to get the Waluigi treatment.
With Ghirahim, I find it hard to say whether or not he's likely. On one hand, Skyward Sword seems to be getting a lot of content and references in Smash, and seeing as Ghirahim is a popular request for Smash, it's possible we'll see him. On the other hand, we have yet to see a one off character like Ghirahim ever be included in the Zelda lineup aside from Sheik, who is Zelda anyway, so she kind of gets a free pass. In fact, we've actually never seen anyone outside of incarnations of the big three Zelda characters, Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, present on the roster, which makes sense when you think about it. Those three are the definitive, recurring characters of the Zelda series; we don't really need anyone outside of them. Going back to Ghirahim, I find him to be unlikely as he does little to differentiate himself from the previous one off characters before him, and at this point there is no implication that he will ever appear in another Zelda game. It's possible we'll see him again, but we really can't know at this point, or even if a future appearance of his will impact Smash at this point.

As for Ganon, I think he could be a rather interesting addition, considering he is another half of the main villain of the series and has appeared numerous times. However, I get the feeling he's probably going to be a Final Smash again.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

So are the Miis, and they probably making as playable.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I thought the "Ghirahim for Smash" meme died off eons ago, but apparently some people still want to keep the disco alive.
I think it's getting more popular as of late, actually. It seems the multiple items from Skyward Sword, the Fi trophy, and Ghirahim's theme being played during Nintendo's E3 trailer have gotten people hyped up for Ghirahim's inclusion.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think it's getting more popular as of late, actually. It seems the multiple items from Skyward Sword, the Fi trophy, and Ghirahim's theme being played during Nintendo's E3 trailer have gotten people hyped up for Ghirahim's inclusion.
I'm not seeing much of a boost.

It's more like "Hey, remember when people were hyping up the mediocre Skyward Sword game? Good times."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I thought the "Ghirahim for Smash" meme died off eons ago, but apparently some people still want to keep the disco alive.
I have no idea where the Magnus fanbase went. It was roaring when SSB4 was announced.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Hm? I'm not quite sure I understand. How could Uprising kill the Magnus fanbase, since it was the game Magnus debuted in?
Clearly you weren't around when people found out about what actually happens in that game.

Also it doesn't help that we can still just ask for Ike back.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have no idea where the Magnus fanbase went. It was roaring when SSB4 was announced.
I agree with this sentiment. Prior to joining Smashboards, I would watch a lot of roster prediction videos. I wasn't even aware a forum existed for Smash Brothers. Almost every single video had Magnus in it. I thought that he had a large fan-base, but upon joining, in the entire year that I have been here, I have not once seen anyone advocating for Magnus.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I agree with this sentiment. Prior to joining Smashboards, I would watch a lot of roster prediction videos. I wasn't even aware a forum existed for Smash Brothers. Almost every single video had Magnus in it. I thought that he had a large fan-base, but upon joining, in the entire year that I have been here, I have not once seen anyone advocating for Magnus.
Hmm, Youtube it seems. Did you ever get a chance to see any of my rosters?

Wait WHAT? I don't remember Magnus dying!
In terms of Smash speculation, they died, not in the actual game.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
To clarify the confusion:

When Uprising was first being shown off, they showed the chapter that featured Magnus quite extensively. When Uprising launched, people realized that Magnus really isn't that significant of a character; he only makes appearances in three of the game's twenty-five chapters. Additionally, people started to realize that maybe he wouldn't be that interesting of an addition; after all, we do have a bunch of people with swords already and look at that awesome guy with the sword in the new Fire Emblem game, he needs to get in before Magnus.

I would argue that a combination of Uprising, Palutena, and Fire Emblem killed off Magnus.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Its probably only just me but Magnus kind of looks like a character that came from the Castlevania games.

I wonder if his last name is Belmont? :troll:

On-topic: I only expect Palutena for playable fighter & thats it for me on KI: U.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
On the topic of alternate costumes, giving Olimar an alternate costume for Louie or one of the guys from Pikmin 3 seems weird to me.

Also, I'm glad they stuck with Olimar; he's one of my favorite Nintendo characters and I would have been upset if they replaced him with one of the new three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom