• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Sorry to continue on with my obsession of King K. Rool, but if he were to be added, do you think he'd have Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein as alternate costumes?

D

Deleted member

Sorry to continue on with my obsession of King K. Rool, but if he were to be added, do you think he'd have Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein as alternate costumes?
Considering that Villager got four costumes to work with, I will be surprised if we don't get Kaptain K. Rool. Heck, maybe we'll get Baron K. Roolenstein as well, though that's pushing more into wishful thinking.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'd say definitely Kaptain K. Rool, the most iconic alternate form for K. Rool.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I thought the "Ghirahim for Smash" meme died off eons ago, but apparently some people still want to keep the disco alive.
It's either Ghirahim or Ganondorf, and judging on how things are going, Ganondorf might be the first re-occuring veteran to be cut. I don't know I don't think Ganondorf is this "obvious" choice like so many people are saying. I'd say it's about a 60%-40% with odds favoring Ganondorf.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Considering that Villager got four costumes to work with, I will be surprised if we don't get Kaptain K. Rool. Heck, maybe we'll get Baron K. Roolenstein as well, though that's pushing more into wishful thinking.
you seem to do that a lot

wishful thinking

you should change your name to it

because I never made is past japn 101 and seeing japanse writing makes me feel inadequate

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's either Ghirahim or Ganondorf, and judging on how things are going, Ganondorf might be the first re-occuring veteran to be cut. I don't know I don't think Ganondorf is this "obvious" choice like so many people are saying. I'd say it's about a 60%-40% with odds favoring Ganondorf.
Ganondorf getting cut? For Ghirahim?

I can't even fathom Ganondorf being cut. I don't think there's any indication that that will be the case.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Despite how often she gets overlooked, I think Tetra has a lot in her favor, such as actually being a recurring character, being the Zelda of the Toon timeline, and having a recent remake on the Wii U, which actually gives her more relevance than even Ghirahim. Not to mention, the fact that she's a pirate gives her some unique potential for a move set as we haven't really had a character like that in Smash before. I don't claim that she's a shoo-in or even a likely addition, but I think she has a lot more of a chance than people give her credit for.
This. IF the Great Sea era games got another rep, I think it would be Tetra.

I honestly felt as though Ghirahim was more relevant to Skyward Sword than Tetra was to Wind Waker. But again, Tetra is Zelda, so those discrepancies are automatically negligible. However, I would be very interested in seeing a more pirate-esque move-set. It would compliment Sheik's ninja-esque move-set.

I want to believe that Ganon is the most likely Legend of Zelda representative based on prominence and prevalence (and move-set potential, to an extent, as they have not really divulged into moves pertinent to Ganondorf). I don't mind Tingle, I just feel like he is going to get the Waluigi treatment.
That's fair.

And I agree about Ganon. A true-to-the-series Ganon/Ganondorf is my most wanted Zelda series character in Smash. And Tingle... ehhhh... he's not my favorite, nor my top pick, but I don't hate him, either. At least Tingle is creepy in a funny sort of way. (Unlike later characters, like Oocoo. That thing was downright scary.) I'd be a little surprised to see him upgraded from assist trophy to playable. That role suits him well.

With Ghirahim, I find it hard to say whether or not he's likely. On one hand, Skyward Sword seems to be getting a lot of content and references in Smash, and seeing as Ghirahim is a popular request for Smash, it's possible we'll see him. On the other hand, we have yet to see a one off character like Ghirahim ever be included in the Zelda lineup aside from Sheik, who is Zelda anyway, so she kind of gets a free pass. In fact, we've actually never seen anyone outside of incarnations of the big three Zelda characters, Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, present on the roster, which makes sense when you think about it. Those three are the definitive, recurring characters of the Zelda series; we don't really need anyone outside of them. Going back to Ghirahim, I find him to be unlikely as he does little to differentiate himself from the previous one off characters before him, and at this point there is no implication that he will ever appear in another Zelda game. It's possible we'll see him again, but we really can't know at this point, or even if a future appearance of his will impact Smash at this point.

As for Ganon, I think he could be a rather interesting addition, considering he is another half of the main villain of the series and has appeared numerous times. However, I get the feeling he's probably going to be a Final Smash again.
Yeah, that's the weird thing about Smash 4. Skyward Sword seems to be recognized in just about every way (stage, music, items) except for with characters. I would be more apt to expect Ghirahim's inclusion on the roster if Skyward Link and/or Zelda were present. That's a big reason I'm questioning the possibility.
That, and the fact that in every SSB to date, only the main, recurring, Triforce-bearing characters have been recognized. It would be cool to see others, and I do wonder why we really haven't, given the popularity of the series, but I'm certainly not against the idea. There are so many interesting characters to choose from.
I could see Midna, Vaati, Skull Kid, Ghirahim, and others fitting into the game and working well, all with interesting movesets and playstyles. The Legend of Zelda is one of the few series that could get away with having six, seven, eight characters that would all be popular and unique. But it might would make the character distribution seem uneven to a lot of people. But hey, there are a ton of Pokemon in the game already.

Hopefully Sakurai pays attention to the Japanese fan-base, I would really enjoy Ghirahim in Smash. It would also incite future speculators to be more intelligent and not throw around fallacious arguments such as, "a character shouldn't be included based on their merit and popularity, they should be included if they are reoccurring characters." Most of those incompetent people imply that if Ghirahim had made one additional appearance, no matter how insignificant, that he would be plausible.
That would be very interesting, and it would indeed make those arguments fallacious. Given that he is relatively current and popular, sure, it could happen, and it wouldn't shock me. After all, being recent and currently popular, especially in Japan, does improve his chances over other one-game characters. I'll concede that the timing could be just right.
Based on past trends, I'm skeptical, and I'll admit I do favor several other characters before Ghirahim, but I'm not 100% confident either way.
Tetra looks more likely from where I'm standing, but hey, I wouldn't have expected Rosalina to be the most likely Mario series newcomer a year ago.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I thought the "Ghirahim for Smash" meme died off eons ago, but apparently some people still want to keep the disco alive.

I can't even fathom Ganondorf being cut. I don't think there's any indication that that will be the case.
i don't know I mean i guess your right, but they still have quite a bit of these re-occuring veterans to confirm. Ness, Jiggs, Ganondorf, Cpt. Falcon, Climbers, Falco. And with such a little number of newcomers, they might have to make room. Think what you will on this, Just saying they might want to keep things fresh this time around. Nothing's certain, is all I'm saying.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
I'm actually in favor of Captain Ganondorf being cut...

... and replaced with a new Ganon, in some form or other, whether beast or dorf or both, who actually uses moves inspired by the Legend of Zelda series.

D

Deleted member

....no.

It's either Ganondorf and Ghirahim or just Ganondorf.

Saying Ganondorf could be replaced by Ghirahim is like saying Fawful could replace Bowser.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Where has this mindset of "they haven't revealed all the characters yet and the game is almost out, they're all going to get cut!" come from? Do you seriously expect them to announce every character in the game? You know secret characters exist, right? And that most of these characters are traditionally secret as well, right?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Where has this mindset of "they haven't revealed all the characters yet and the game is almost out, they're all going to get cut!" come from? Do you seriously expect them to announce every character in the game? You know secret characters exist, right? And that most of these characters are traditionally secret as well, right?
Luigi. Toon Link. Lucario. Marth.

I first thought Luigi's case was a one-off exception, but other formerly secret characters have been shown beforehand.
Ness and Falcon in Melee were starters, so I guess people are assuming that all formerly secret characters will now be starters in SSB4. Will they still be secret despite being revealed beforehand? Maybe, like Snake and Sonic were in Brawl. Seems a little redundant, though.

And people thinking characters like Wario will get cut are morons. It shouldn't need explaining. (then again, there was Mewtwo in Brawl, but I'm not sure if it's equivalent.)

----

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
While I agree that assuming all characters will be revealed is ridiculous, I do think the fact that the game is near should shed worry for particular characters. Personally, I think these characters, if not revealed at or before E3, are in a pinch: Lucas, Snake, Ice Climbers, Wario (But we all know he's in), Ike, and possibly Meta Knight (Same as Wario) (Also Squirtle and Ivysaur, but most have lost all hope for them already, myself included). This is based on how these characters are starter characters (Meta Knight could possibly be a secret now, like he should've been in the first place), and hiding starter characters just doesn't make sense to me.

D

Deleted member

I still wish there was an optional & secret cheat code to unlock every character so that the people that don't feel like wasting a lot of their time playin the game won't have to do crazy tasks like err....umm.... "Play as Mario with a Wario palette for a total of 100 hours to unlock Wario" (I just made that up)

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I still wish there was an optional & secret cheat code to unlock every character so that the people that don't feel like wasting a lot of their time playin the game won't have to do crazy tasks like err....umm.... "Play as Mario with a Wario palette for a total of 100 hours to unlock Wario" (I just made that up)
Unlock Snake by inputting the Konami Code. :troll:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Luigi. Toon Link. Lucario. Marth.

I first thought Luigi's case was a one-off exception, but other formerly secret characters have been shown beforehand.
Ness and Falcon in Melee were starters, so I guess people are assuming that all formerly secret characters will now be starters in SSB4. Will they still be secret despite being revealed beforehand? Maybe, like Snake and Sonic were in Brawl. Seems a little redundant, though.

And people thinking characters like Wario will get cut are morons. It shouldn't need explaining. (then again, there was Mewtwo in Brawl, but I'm not sure if it's equivalent.)

----
Ness and Captain Falcon both went from secret characters in 64 to starters in Melee to secret again in Brawl. It's VERY possible that they are secret once again! Right now there are only 4 characters in danger of being cut, 5 if you want to consider Snake as well. Those 4 characters are Ike, Lucas, Squirtle and Ivysaur. The reason I say those 4 is simple. There has never been a time when a character who was originally introduced in Smash as a starter every became a secret character in the next installment. Now I'm not saying it's impossible to happen now but it is very unlikely.

Ike is in serious trouble because it appears that Marth is now a starting character.

Lucas is in trouble because it really makes no sense to have both Earthbound/Mother characters being unlockable.

Squirtle and Ivysaur have almost less than a 1% chance of returning since they weren't even mentioned with all the other transforming characters in the Smash Direct.

I highly doubt Wario is cut due to there being 2 assist trophies with Wario's emblem. (Ashley and Waluigi)

Ice Climbers are pretty much safe as well since they were mentioned beforehand due to Sakurai's comments of slight difficulty with programming them and we know that's been fixed thanks to Rosalina and Luma, as well as the fact that we saw the polar bear from their series as a villain in Smash Run.

I also highly doubt Sakurai would cut one of his own characters that has a unique moveset. Not to forget that he showed off Meta Knight's stage in the Direct too.

With all that being said, I would have to assume that everyone is safe except: Ike, Lucas, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Still talking about the potential cuts? Yeah, the ones we need to be concerned about are Ike, Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake.

Ike is a tough one. With Marth's reveal being completely spontaneous, and the only reveal as such, I think it's a fair assumption to call him a starter. Not only would this hurt Ike, the starter from Brawl, but it could also hurt Chrom, to an extent, as he fills Ike's starter spot perfectly (Tactician 4 SSB4). But, there is still the possibility that Marth is still an unlockable, as Sakurai doesn't have to necessarily take the same approach he did with Brawl.

As a Lucas main, I can't deny that I would be heartbroken if he's cut, but, I'm trying to discard my bias when I say that I don't think he will. I just think it'd be unrealistic for Sakurai to be completely aware of MOTHER's situation, add Lucas anyway, and cut him the next game. Lucas wouldn't be recent anymore, but still relevant, which I think should hold more water.

Squirtle and Ivysaur are almost guaranteed done unless the roster reaches a larger number than estimated to the point where there is room for them both. Since Brawl had 39 characters, this isn't impossible, though it is certainly unlikely.

Snake is less troublesome than most assume. He's on generally neutral ground, but I still think his only shot is at E3.

Last edited:

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
So Ive been playing The Wonderful 101 and I think Wonder Red would be an amazing addition to the smash roster. Come at me bro.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
On the subject of cuts, I feel like I missed something. Everyone was concerned Wolf was going to be on the chopping block, yet now I don't see him even getting brought up as an option. What changed?

So Ive been playing The Wonderful 101 and I think Wonder Red would be an amazing addition to the smash roster. Come at me bro.

Although yes, he would of been and I dare say Dillon would of been a lot of fun too. I'm just surprised Wonder Red didn't at the very least get an Assist Trophy status.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

He wasn't even on the chopping block in Melee. Nothing has changed at this point to make him less likely to return and there's no reason to debate whether or not the King of Evil will return. The only debate worth having is whether or not he will this time be in his pig form or not.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Ness and Captain Falcon both went from secret characters in 64 to starters in Melee to secret again in Brawl. It's VERY possible that they are secret once again! Right now there are only 4 characters in danger of being cut, 5 if you want to consider Snake as well. Those 4 characters are Ike, Lucas, Squirtle and Ivysaur. The reason I say those 4 is simple. There has never been a time when a character who was originally introduced in Smash as a starter every became a secret character in the next installment. Now I'm not saying it's impossible to happen now but it is very unlikely.

Ike is in serious trouble because it appears that Marth is now a starting character.

Lucas is in trouble because it really makes no sense to have both Earthbound/Mother characters being unlockable.

Squirtle and Ivysaur have almost less than a 1% chance of returning since they weren't even mentioned with all the other transforming characters in the Smash Direct.

I highly doubt Wario is cut due to there being 2 assist trophies with Wario's emblem. (Ashley and Waluigi)

Ice Climbers are pretty much safe as well since they were mentioned beforehand due to Sakurai's comments of slight difficulty with programming them and we know that's been fixed thanks to Rosalina and Luma, as well as the fact that we saw the polar bear from their series as a villain in Smash Run.

I also highly doubt Sakurai would cut one of his own characters that has a unique moveset. Not to forget that he showed off Meta Knight's stage in the Direct too.

With all that being said, I would have to assume that everyone is safe except: Ike, Lucas, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur.
I would add wolf or falco to the list as well, I really don't see both of them coming back, since they are semi-clones and 4 out of the 5 cuts from melee were semi-clones, and I get the impression and speculate that sakurai is trying to phase semi-clones out little by little.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I facepalmed when I read that Kaptain K.Rool was his costume. It's been confirmed his BROTHER.

Although that doesn't mean he can dress up or use his items in battle.

D

Deleted member

I facepalmed when I read that Kaptain K.Rool was his costume. It's been confirmed his BROTHER.

No, they are the same person. The brother thing was a typo on the Brawl trophy.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
you seem to do that a lot

wishful thinking

you should change your name to it

because I never made is past japn 101 and seeing japanse writing makes me feel inadequate
I wouldn't call them alternate costumes anyway (well, okay, the female villager is an alternate costume). He's just giving the other villager color swaps the other default faces, like the one with the yellow shirt has my character's face. I figured he'd use the numbered shirts as color swaps since they come in many different colors; like the 1 shirt is red, the 2 shirt is blue, etc.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
....no.

Saying Ganondorf could be replaced by Ghirahim is like saying Fawful could replace Bowser.
I'd argue a better analogy would be Replacing Bowser with Wart, or Tatanga. Fawful was actually important in multiple games.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'd argue a better analogy would be Replacing Bowser with Wart, or Tatanga. Fawful was actually important in multiple games.
I would argue none of those are comparable because bowser has been revealed

I wouldn't call them alternate costumes anyway (well, okay, the female villager is an alternate costume). He's just giving the other villager color swaps the other default faces, like the one with the yellow shirt has my character's face. I figured he'd use the numbered shirts as color swaps since they come in many different colors; like the 1 shirt is red, the 2 shirt is blue, etc.
1 shirt 2 shirt, red shirt blue shirt?

I'm sorry

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

I presume you also believe Wobbuffet debuted in Pokemon Red/Blue, Sothe is a swordman, Shellscrappers appeared in the Mario Bros. remake for Super Mario Advance (and by extension the other Advance remakes and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga), and Kirby's Dream Land was released on the NES.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I presume you also believe Wobbuffet debuted in Pokemon Red/Blue, Sothe is a swordman, Shellscrappers appeared in the Mario Bros. remake for Super Mario Advance (and by extension the other Advance remakes and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga), and Kirby's Dream Land was released on the NES.
This your only post I can agree with.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yep,they sure are.

Also,I got my new Being-a-Snob detector,and it's going off the charts!

Amazing! Everyone is acting like a know-it-all! This is a scientific breakthrough!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
....no.

But Golden, Fawful is an amazing replacement for Bowser! He usurped Bowser in BiS!!!

...I agree. Plus
Unlike Fawful, they killed off Ghirahim, so he doesn't have that much of a chance a reappearance. To counter my own point, it IS Zelda, but there's only SO MUCH you can get away with.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yep,they sure are.

Also,I got my new Being-a-Snob detector,and it's going off the charts!

Amazing! Everyone is acting like a know-it-all! This is a scientific breakthrough!
We're acting like people who actually know what they are talking about.

King and Kaptain are one in the same, it was confirmed to be a translation error.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We're acting like people who actually know what they are talking about.

King and Kaptain are one in the same, it was confirmed to be a translation error.
Sorry,took me a minute to relax over the fiery rage inside me.

For me being an idiot,I'm trying to say that it's best to say nothing at all in some cases,for people look it in different ways. I look at these posts as if they're ridiculing me and being a ****. Which I'm pretty sure someone did.

Also,what about Mad Scientist K.Rool (Never played DKC3)? Should he be an optional costume as well?

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
1- Ganodorf is NOT going anywhere. Replacing him is like replacing Bowser, he represents part of the Triforce and is the most recurring villain. People who even fathom it should at least play a Legend of Zelda game at least once in their lives. They are very good

2- Not all characters will be revealed before launch and not revealing them does not mean any of them being cut. Some will be revealed only after launch of the game.

3- The secret characters WILL NOT be the same as the previous games, they are never the same. Even if a character was a starter in brawl he could very well be a secret this time.

4- Sakurai since the beginning talked about NOT revealing way too much before launch, or at least reveal less than in Brawl days. He already did something similar with Kid Icarus, he can do it again. Thinking a bunch of stuff will be cut just because the game is not full of early reveals is foolish.

I really wished this "everybody will be cut" meme had already be gone by now, but it seems that since the direct, a lot of children decided to assume whatever they want and bring it back to the field. A shame really.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I want your opinions on possible semi-clone newcomers.
What do you think their chances are to be in this game.
This could include, Dixie Kong, Louie or anyone you think could be a semi-clone.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
There's no such thing as a replacement for Bowser, he's the most iconic, memorable, and recognizable Mario villain and will never get cut. Fawful can stay out though, he's anything but famous
Whoosh.

New topic: veteran changes. What are the most necessary?

I'll be the first to say that Meta Knight must be nerfed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom