• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That is the interesting notion about Lucina though, she is supposed to be Marth at the beginning of Awakening. They aren't the same character, but they share the same name, so the example isn't comparable to Black Shadow as a Ganondorf alternate or something to that extent. It is one of the alts were a different character might be applicable. But as you say, probably not.
It doesn't matter what the character was disguised as, that doesn't make her Marth, they're still separate characters. She's never actually supposed to be Marth, and she never shares Marth's name, she's supposed to be masquerading under the guise of Marth, and that's different. Bowser Jr. was operating under the guise of being Mario, but that didn't make him Mario either. The only difference between her being a Marth alt and Black Shadow being a Ganondorf alt here is that Lucina and Marth are from the same series while the others are not - neither example is the same character they'd be the alt of.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Well, its worth considering that in awakening Lucina as lord ans Marth as Lodestar have the exact same battle model, just Lucina having longer hair.

But jokes aside, I don't think Lucina would fit as a Marth alt because Marth does have a male figure that Lucina just wouldn't fit in. They could just completely make a new skin like for the wii fit trainers though. But all in all i'm not even with having characters as alt costumes for other characters. It would just be abit weird and as someone said above, a kick in the teeth to certain fans.

Morbi

Scavenger
Is Jigglypuff vs Mewtwo the new Roy vs Chrom?
Is that really the case? It is so pathetic that people attach so much arbitrary value to slots.

It doesn't matter what the character was disguised as, that doesn't make her Marth, they're still separate characters. She's never actually supposed to be Marth, and she never shares Marth's name, she's supposed to be masquerading under the guise of Marth, and that's different. Bowser Jr. was operating under the guise of being Mario, but that didn't make him Mario either. The only difference between her being a Marth alt and Black Shadow being a Ganondorf alt here is that Lucina and Marth are from the same series while the others are not - neither example is the same character they'd be the alt of.
Technically female Villager is a separate character as well though, it is just a gender swap, but inherently, for obvious reasons, they are not the same character. There is an overt difference, but I don't necessarily believe separate character alts are deconfirmed as we already have them, if you see what I mean.

That being said, I could see a Shadow Mario alt too, I don't know why. I suppose I feel better about it if they share a name and roughly the same design.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
To Chrom? Yes. I think the tactition could be interesting, magic and swords. Or as unlikely as Hector is, axes are pretty awesome too. Hell, a wyvern knight would be amazing, start working mounted units into smash, haha.
Jill Fizzart! Or Elincia. I'd love either. But of course neither is Plausible.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I want both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. ):
Good thing you'll probably get both.

There's literally no good reason not to have both, but if it comes down to it, Mewtwo will likely be the one who misses the boat.

We expected seven Pokemon characters before Greninja, now suddenly we expect five?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Technically female Villager is a separate character as well though, it is just a gender swap, but inherently, for obvious reasons, they are not the same character. There is an overt difference, but I don't necessarily believe separate character alts are deconfirmed as we already have them, if you see what I mean.

That being said, I could see a Shadow Mario alt too, I don't know why. I suppose I feel better about it if they share a name and roughly the same design.
But they are both Villager - not a character pretending to be Villager. Masked Marth is not Marth, and Lucina is not Marth, and unless the character was called Masked Marth, it wouldn't be apt - it'd still be Lucina (and ofc then she'd have to be her own character - as Marth is not "Masked Marth").

The character is Marth, so all versions of Marth would fit under that character, like all versions of Villager could fit under the "Villager" character, but characters who aren't Marth himself don't fit under a character called Marth. The closest you'd get is Marth (or whatever character) coloured like another - such as Daisy for Peach, Claus for Lucas, Dark Pit for Pit, etc. but that's just a colour swap - the character is still Peach/Lucas/Pit/whoever. Giving Marth a Masked Marth or Lucina alt would be switching the character - it'd no longer be Marth (even if it would be a character who claims to be Marth).

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You'll probably get both.

There's literally no good reason not to have both, but if it comes down to it, Mewtwo will likely be the one who misses the boat.

We expected seven Pokemon characters before Greninja, now suddenly we expect five?
Brawl - > Pika, Lucario, PT (3 pkmn) , jiggly = 6
Sm4sh - > Pika, Lucario, Chari, Gren, Mewtwo, jiggly = 6

farfetched?

Morbi

Scavenger
But they are both Villager - not a character pretending to be Villager. Masked Marth is not Marth, and Lucina is not Marth, and unless the character was called Masked Marth, it wouldn't be apt - it'd still be Lucina (and ofc then she'd have to be her own character - as Marth is not "Masked Marth").

The character is Marth, so all versions of Marth would fit under that character, like all versions of Villager could fit under the "Villager" character, but characters who aren't Marth himself don't fit under a character called Marth. The closest you'd get is Marth (or whatever character) coloured like another - such as Daisy for Peach, Claus for Lucas, Dark Pit for Pit, etc. but that's just a colour swap - the character is still Peach/Lucas/Pit/whoever. Giving Marth a Masked Marth or Lucina alt would be switching the character - it'd no longer be Marth (even if it would be a character who claims to be Marth).
Hence the portion of the post where I assert, "there is an overt difference." I just feel as though that discernible difference is negligible. Trust me, I know the difference, I am just stating that it is a possibility, one that I would be interested in.

Good thing you'll probably get both.

It is weird, I actually believe the opposite to be true (as I believe that Mewtwo was decided on months ago).

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Chrom and Ike are both very muscular and wield a two-handed sword with one hand.
Chrom's and Lucina's sword are the same sword (heck, even marth has the same sword!). It's not a two handed sword if a 17 year old girl can hold it just fine with one.
I disagree with you drastically on Chrom and Ike, but I'd rather not go into specifics because you probably won't budge either.

You'll probably get both.

Apparently the average representation of pokemon has been 16%.
We'd need like 7-8 reps if the roster is 48+, or else we're going below average on this one.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Good thing both of them are all but confirmed. These two have so much going for them.
You know, it does make me curious why Charizard was the Pokemon veteran to be revealed in a trailer. You'd think if there is one, it'd be Mewtwo since he's a veteran who missed the boat on one game, making his return pretty damn significant.

At the same time though, Zard being on his own is also kinda of a big deal, and I guess the trailer was meant to focus on starters, with Zard/Greninja being the most popular combination in X/Y.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I honestly believe if Lucina were an alt costume for Marth, it'd work out fine. Sure, they are different people, but they use the same sword, and have similar enough builds that you could easily swap models with identical hitboxes, and easily make it believable.

And I'm not even suggesting this in place of a third FE rep. It'd just be more things. idk why people are getting weird over it.

Morbi

Scavenger
You know, it does make me curious why Charizard was the Pokemon veteran to be revealed in a trailer. You'd think if there is one, it'd be Mewtwo since he's a veteran who missed the boat on one game, making his return pretty damn significant.

At the same time though, Zard being on his own is also kinda of a big deal, and I guess the trailer was meant to focus on starters, with Zard/Greninja being the most popular combination in X/Y.
No, the Direct was feeding off of the hype of new stages, new items, new assists, returning items, new game-mode, mechanic switches, game-play, 4 veterans, and an unexpected newcomer. There is a point where hype tops off; you can only be so excited. They are saving Mewtwo for E3, there will be a bigger audience, it is going to be after another information drought, and we probably aren't going to get as much news in regards to the actual game. So Charizard makes sense as Sakurai just confirmed that Transformation characters were gone, Charizard is another veteran that everyone unanimously expected to return (even if some thought he would be attached to the detrimental Pokemon Trainer).

"I am Groot!"

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

That reminds me, veterans are confirmed to get spotlights in trailers.

So perhaps Mewtwo will get his own trailer.

edit: At E3.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I honestly believe if Lucina were an alt costume for Marth, it'd work out fine. Sure, they are different people, but they use the same sword, and have similar enough builds that you could easily swap models with identical hitboxes, and easily make it believable.

And I'm not even suggesting this in place of a third FE rep. It'd just be more things. idk why people are getting weird over it.
Saying it won't happen isn't the same as saying it couldn't work.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Saying it won't happen isn't the same as saying it couldn't work.
Fair, I mis-englished.

I'll agree, I don't think it's very likely. I do think it'd be a great chance for more FE reps without overcrowding the roster with similar swordsmen/women/marths

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That reminds me, veterans are confirmed to get spotlights in trailers.

So perhaps Mewtwo will get his own trailer.

edit: At E3.
Probably E3's trailer will feature veterans, in that case. It's plausible to think the trailer will be huge.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Making Lucina a Marth alt. is essentially making a clone character, so it's pointless to tack her on to him.
Lucas isn't an alt for Ness, after all (and Lucas was actually intended to be a clone)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Making Lucina a Marth alt. is essentially making a clone character, so it's pointless to tack her on to him.
Lucas isn't an alt for Ness, after all (and Lucas was actually intended to be a clone)
It is making a clone character. It's so making a clone character, that you don't even have to go the difference to balance this new character as well, it'd literally just be another skin.

It isn't pointless, because it gives fans of Lucina the ability to play as her in game, with a play style that fits the character, and without taking up a spot on the roster that could go for someone more important.

Honestly it could work for lucas too, but since Earthbound would then really only have 1 rep, and lucas is already a vet, he should stay separate IMO

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Speaking of clones/alts,
What are the odds Chrom is actually an Ike semi-clone?

And, assuming he is a semi-clone, what are the odds he brings along a more unique friend (i.e. Robin)?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I feel like Chrom has some strong chances for playability one way or another. Idk for sure how the FE characters are going to go, but I don't really see 2 FE newcomers happening. I wouldn't mind it, though, as long as the 4'th char wasn't a sword user, haha.

Morbi

Scavenger
Speaking of clones/alts,
What are the odds Chrom is actually an Ike semi-clone?

And, assuming he is a semi-clone, what are the odds he brings along a more unique friend (i.e. Robin)?
I highly doubt we are going to get more than one additional Fire Emblem character unless necromancy is involved and Roy is a blatant clone with the other Fire Emblem representative being original.

The chances of Chrom being an Ike semi-clone probably correlate to the priority list. I don't think it is too likely, but I suppose it is a possibility is Sakurai didn't feel up to the task of creating a unique move-set for some reason.

"I am Groot!"

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Today we saw 4 of the Villager's costumes/palettes. Now, I'd like to point out that all but one(the one that stares at your soul) are exactly like the possible starting character in Animal Crossing: City Folk.
So that brings me to some more speculation. What colors are left? We've seen, Red(default), possibly a pink, yellow, and green. Also note that it could be possible that we'll get a similar scenario like Wario. Maybe you can switch between a male or female with a full set of palettes, or maybe we'll get 3 males and 3 females for a total of 6 palettes.
On a side note, BAA is a serious drug abuser and BAB is possessed.
Perhaps there will be six for each gender? What if one wanted to play the female Villager in red team, but can't because it's a male Villager?

I just beat Fire Emblem Awakening for the first time. I hate Chrom even more now. And it's become evident that Avatar would be the much better character choice. Oh and for the love of all things good, let's get a Lucina alt for Marth! Chrom's personality doesn't offer much and I think that Avatar is really the brains of the operation. Chrom is really just the puppet who acts as the king.

I mean Ike wouldn't always listen to Soren, he just confided in him. Heck a lot of the time he doesn't listen to Soren. Chrom I think never really went on his own path.
Nope. Rather have Chrom than Robin making the roster. Hell, give us Mia or Nephenee instead

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Guys,what about Seth?
I know he wasn't in that game,but still.
I want to stab with his magical spear on his majestic steed with his swagtastic red hair. and beard.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Guys,what about Seth?
I know he wasn't in that game,but still.
I want to stab with his magical spear on his majestic steed with his swagtastic red hair. and beard.
Yeah sure. We do need someone who could put Meta Knight to shame in brokenness.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
I am only a few chapters into Awakening (I really wish I'd finished it by now. Stupid college.), but from what I've seen, I would agree that Robin, and not Chrom, is the central character.

That said... who do you guys honestly believe Intelligent Systems are most likely to choose to represent and promote their game?
Robin would make for an interesting fighter, possibly more so than any other character in the game, since he/she can wield weapons and cast spells, but being a player avatar whose face, hair, voice, name, and even gender can be customized might hurt his/her shot at being the mascot-type rep of the game. Then again, Villager proves that may not matter.
Still, Chrom and Lucina are the two most prominent characters on the box art, and are therefore the characters people are most likely to associate with that game. I have a gut feeling they have better chances than Robin, as far as promoting the game goes.

Marth is the series mascot, the original lord, starred in his own DS game a few years back, and was an important part of the story in Awakening (Chrom's ancestor, and the alter-ego of a main character), as well as a playable Einherjar.
Ike is a fan-favorite, is a main character in two FE games, was more distinct from Marth than Roy, and was also an Einherjar unit in Awakening, so I could see them asking/allowing him to return in Smash 4.

If they do indeed want a new fighter unique to Awakening, Chrom or Lucina seem more likely as mascots than Robin. I almost feel like of the three, Lucina is actually the most likely Awakening mascot, especially if the developers want a female rep. Maybe not the best choice, but the most likely.
But I'm thinking as a fan, not as a developer. For all I know, Awakening may be represented by only a stage, or there will be four or five FE fighters.

Last edited:

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Also, on the topic of alt costumes:

Marth's Awakening look would make way more sense than a Lucina character swap. If Lucina makes it in, she'll be on her own, either playable or as an assist.

Related Topic: Will Marth have finally learned English, after having spent so much time now in the English-speaking world? I hope so. The Japanese was both clever and logical before, but I think he should have localized voice acting now.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I am only a few chapters into Awakening (I really wish I'd finished it by now. Stupid college.), but from what I've seen, I would agree that Robin, and not Chrom, is the central character.

That said... who do you guys honestly believe Intelligent Systems are most likely to choose to represent and promote their game?
Robin would make for an interesting fighter, possibly more so than any other character in the game, since he/she can wield weapons and cast spells, but being a player avatar whose face, hair, voice, name, and even gender can be customized might hurt his/her shot at being the mascot-type rep of the game. Then again, Villager proves that may not matter.
Still, Chrom and Lucina are the two most prominent characters on the box art, and are therefore the characters people are most likely to associate with that game. I have a gut feeling they have better chances than Robin, as far as promoting the game goes.

Marth is the series mascot, the original lord, starred in his own DS game a few years back, and was an important part of the story in Awakening (Chrom's ancestor, and the alter-ego of a main character), as well as a playable Einherjar.
Ike is a fan-favorite, is a main character in two FE games, was more distinct from Marth than Roy, and was also an Einherjar unit in Awakening, so I could see them asking/allowing him to return in Smash 4.

If they do indeed want a new fighter unique to Awakening, Chrom or Lucina seem more likely as mascots than Robin. I almost feel like of the three, Lucina is actually the most likely Awakening mascot, especially if the developers want a female rep. Maybe not the best choice, but the most likely.
But I'm thinking as a fan, not as a developer. For all I know, Awakening may be represented by only a stage, or there will be four or five FE fighters.
In terms of who is most likely of the three Awakening characters, I find Chrom to be the most likely, more so than Robin or Lucina. As you pointed out, Chrom is the face of Awakening, is the most recognizable character from it and could get pushed into the game by IS as a result.

However, I don't think Robin is entirely out of the picture. As you pointed out, Robin is about as important, if not more important, than Chrom is in Awakening. Now, admittedly you have yet to play the game through yet, so your stance on the matter may change (though if you think Robin is more important in the beginning, just wait until the end when). Anyway, the way I see it, being a customizable character is not the thing that makes Robin less than likely; Villager disproves this entirely, especially with today's reveal. What I think holds Robin back is the fact that s/he is not heavily promoted due to being a customizable character. That's not to say that Robin isn't used for promotion, but it's significantly less than how frequently Chrom and Lucina are used. However, this may not actually matter that much either; Greninja was not even known of before X and Y came out, and certainly wasn't promoted, yet he got onto the roster anyway. Because of this, and due to the fact that Robin is a main character, as you said, it seems quite within the realm of possibility that Robin could be chosen over Chrom. That's not to say that Robin is more likely than Chrom, but I think there is a definite possibility for this to happen, especially if Sakurai is looking for a more unique character from Fire Emblem.

Now, as for Lucina... I'd suggest you play through the game entirely before saying she's the most likely. I'm not sure how far into the game you are, but after her first couple of appearances, she doesn't really hang around or do much. She has a big impact on the game through her actions, but at the same time, she doesn't really do a lot.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Now, as for Lucina... I'd suggest you play through the game entirely before saying she's the most likely. I'm not sure how far into the game you are, but after her first couple of appearances, she doesn't really hang around or do much. She has a big impact on the game through her actions, but at the same time, she doesn't really do a lot.
I thought it was strange that such a heavily promoted character ended up being so insignificant in the game beyond her first appearance, which is pretty early.
It doesn't help she, herself, is just as bland as Chrom. Father and daughter indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom