• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Samurai Goroh, or Big the cat. You're choice.
If we want to stay on a logical topic with a character with much higher chances, Samurai Goroh. Though I personally believe that Black Shadow is a tad more likely.

josh bones

Smash Lord
If we want to stay on a logical topic with a character with much higher chances, Samurai Goroh. Though I personally believe that Black Shadow is a tad more likely.
......Are you implying big is not the most lkely newcomer?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
......Are you implying big is not the most lkely newcomer?
Yes. I'm also implying that it's off-topic. I don't see Big being taken as a serious character with potential here, moreso as a joke to derail this thread.

josh bones

Smash Lord
Yes. I'm also implying that it's off-topic. I don't see Big being taken as a serious character with potential here, moreso as a joke to derail this thread.
How is discussion of a character off topic on a character discussion thread.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
How is discussion of a character off topic on a character discussion thread.
This is a discussion about the possibility of characters and who could appear as playable in the next Super Smash Bros. You aren't actually explicitly stating his chances, just trying to bring him up without even discussing any of his chances, which are very, very null. You aren't even making a statement about his chances or any possibility overall.
Big the Cat is a character that has faded into obscurity as his own gameplay was a detriment to the quality of Sonic Adventure. It heavily slowed down the pace of Sonic Adventure and it's the case that since he's associated with that monotonous gameplay that he's not really seen bigger roles since.
Big only made cameos in SA2.
Ironically enough, once he's actually seen, in certain cutscenes the game is set so he will not appear again. The Final Story in SA2 opens with a cutscene where Big will appear for a split second, but the game sets it so he won't appear in that scene again unless the file is reset.

It's almost as if SEGA is attempting to remind us of him but making sure he's just shown as a running joke.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Interesting notes. Theres not many surprises or differences between Japan and everyone else. One shocker is Zelda as a whole. I thought Tingle was more requested, and despite SS not being popular, Ghirahim is up there.

I do like how they acknowledge the western audience. Considering how theyre the smaller audience and have the pleasure of being in the same region as the production team, its nice that were finally recognized. Ridley is one of the last western popular characters to be added.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Given that Link and Zelda both resemble their TP versions the most, I would not get your hopes up for anything but TP Ganondorf.
That's something that has me a bit concerned. Ocarina of Time Ganondorf did look better than the Twilight Princess incarnation, and was actually pretty good in Melee. Brawl had no respect for TP Ganondorf at all.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I thought he had that one fishing game in it, unless that was one, or just a whole different series of games in general.
Sonic Adventure features the monotonous torture known as the fishing stages. He's only been playable in a mainline game since as part of Team Rose in Sonic Heroes. Which doesn't alter his chances at all, they are still 0%.

That's something that has me a bit concerned. Ocarina of Time Ganondorf did look better than the Twilight Princess incarnation, and was actually pretty good in Melee. Brawl had no respect for TP Ganondorf at all.
If you look at it, you are right... G-Dorf look better in Melee than in Brawl.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I thought he had that one fishing game in it, unless that was one, or just a whole different series of games in general.
As I recall, Big had a storyline in Story Mode in SA1. You basically chased Froggy around from level to level, trying to catch him via your fishing rod.

As an aside, I greatly enjoyed the SA games. Played SA1 on the Dreamcast, and SA2 on the GC. Good times. :shades:

Last edited:

Knowwuh

Smash Cadet
Interesting that we got Kotake and Koume confirmed for Gerudo Valley such a long time after the stage was revealed, especially since Yellow Devil, Dark Emperor, Shy Guy racers, and Kapp'n were shown off right away for their respective stages. I've seen some argue against Ridley's likelihood of showing up as a part of the Pyrosphere stage by saying, “If he was going to be a stage hazard/background character, Sakurai would have shown him off by now.” Considering Gerudo Valley was revealed before even Pyrosphere, did Kotake's and Koume's announcement affect anyone's Ridley predictions?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Interesting that we got Kotake and Koume confirmed for Gerudo Valley such a long time after the stage was revealed, especially since Yellow Devil, Dark Emperor, Shy Guy racers, and Kapp'n were shown off right away for their respective stages. I've seen some argue against Ridley's likelihood of showing up as a part of the Pyrosphere stage by saying, “If he was going to be a stage hazard/background character, Sakurai would have shown him off by now.” Considering Gerudo Valley was revealed before even Pyrosphere, did Kotake's and Koume's announcement affect anyone's Ridley predictions?
Not really on my end. Twinrova, for all I know, was never suggested by anyone, whereas, Ridley, has had a lot of attention.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Unlike Pyrosphere, we hadn't really seen a ton of Gerudo Valley. So I don't think this changes much.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
In regards to Gerudo Valley, I think it's already been established that we at least knew there was a stage hazard in the form of a fire. We found this out in one of the very few pics we've gotten of the stage. Not to mention, as also brought up prior, I don't think many considered Twinrova having a remote chance, unlike Ridley.

With Pyrosphere, we don't even have proof of an existing stage hazard, and we've seen countless photos and even quite a bit of gameplay footage of the stage. With Gerudo Valley, on the other hand, it was a matter of discovering what caused the fire.

Last edited:

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
Who knows. All we can really conclude is that characters and stage hazards alike may be revealed separately from their stages, at any given point. Stage details can even be changed in specific situations to reflect later-revealed characters, like with the boxing ring, and Alfonzo on the Spirit Tracks stage. And whatever's going on with Pyrosphere has been strange whether Ridley's a hazard or not. Just generally, there have been multiple weird twists and some awkward timing with reveals when it comes to stage elements. At this point, I'd say it's hard to argue one way or the other about them.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The difference, I would imagine, is that:

A) In Pyrosphere's reveal pic, Sakurai indirectly alludes to Ridley (since Pyrosphere is where he and Samus battled in Other M).

B) We've seen far fewer Gerudo Valley pics than of Pyrosphere (which is used rather frequently compared to other stages.

C) Yellow Devil was confirmed at E3 in Wily's Castle reveal. We saw a fire hazard in a Gerudo pic before we saw Koume & Kotake (it therefore seems they are responsible for causing the fire, meaning that we saw the effects of the GV Stage Hazard long before their reveal). And for Animal Crossing, Rainbow Road, and Find Mii, we've only gotten 1-2 pics of each, and their hazards/stage elements were shown off basically from the onset.

So the apparent situation is that for most stages, Stage Hazards and Stage Elements are either shown immediately, or soon after, their official reveals (YD, Shy Guys, Kapp'n, Emperor, etc.) - or the effects of the Stage Hazards are shown before the Hazards are revealed (Gerudo Valley).

As seen in Pyrosphere, the damage in the stage (holes and cracks) are already there in the background, signifying that the Samus-Ridley battle has already taken place. I suppose that it's possible all Pyrosphere pics were taken after Ridley appears and messes up the place - or that he simply emerges from a hole in the background and interferes in the battle for a while.
Sakurai has drawn attention to the damage in Pyrosphere, after all.

Even in spite of K&K's reveal, though, the question remains the same. Why would Sakurai not confirm Ridley as a Hazard/Element earlier on, especially given that it's Ridley? Why mention him obliquely once, and draw attention to the damage in Pyrosphere, while not confirming his presence?

As I recall, Pyrosphere was first revealed in August 2013, so it's been several months without a (de)confirmation (whereas the gap between Gerudo's Stage Hazard effect (fire on the bridge) and the Hazard itself (K&K) was much shorter, IIRC). If Ridley is indeed a Hazard or Element, it seems rather cruel to refrain from settling the matter conclusively for months without end, given that he's a greatly popular character in the West; the longer he waits, the greater Sakurai risks disappointing that segment of the fanbase***.

The only conceivable scenarios are that Sakurai isn't aware, and plans on showing off Ridley as a Hazard/Element at whatever point; that he is aware, but for some reason is taking his sweet time to get around deconfirming him; or he indeed playable, and so Sakurai has no choice but to be coy as the proper time for reveal (most likely E3 2014) is upon us. I'm certainly hoping for the latter outcome, and given everything we've seen so far, it's not necessarily an irrational position.

And of course, Ridley's actual merits as a playable character and his worthiness for inclusion have not at all changed in light of K&K. I'd therefore say that Ridley is still very much in the running. ;)

***Of course, he's bound to disappoint some sections of the fanbase - see all the reactions to deconfirmations so far (e.g. Ashley, Waluigi, and others). But I would venture that the segment of the fanbase who support Ridley, or want him included, is much larger than for those characters of lesser prominence.

Last edited:

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
My apologies in advance for bringing up a topic that has probably been brought up many times before, but what do you guys think Lloyd Irving's chances are?

Pac-Man is really iconic, but the Tales Series popularity (especially in Japan) is nothing to scoff at either..

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm just thinking of this right now, but what would Koume do with her Ice for the Guerdo Valley stage?
Probably attack the player while Kotake takes care of the stage.
My apologies in advance for bringing up a topic that has probably been brought up many times before, but what do you guys think Lloyd Irving's chances are?

Pac-Man is really iconic, but the Tales Series popularity (especially in Japan) is nothing to scoff at either..
Practically non-existant. Sakurai has stated that third-party characters must be "legendary" to make it into Smash Bros.. Popular it may be, but Lloyd is hardly "legendary" by any means. Especially when it's likely a choice between either Pac-Man OR Lloyd. The more legendary one would win out, and the more legendary one is Pac-Man.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The Pyrosphere argument is pretty pointless, since you can twist the argument either way. The reveal of more boss hazards definitely isn't great for Ridley; Sakurai will want some more Nintendo bosses to rival the Yellow Devil, and Ridley stands as a great option for him.

Zeallyx

Practically non-existant. Sakurai has stated that third-party characters must be "legendary" to make it into Smash Bros.. Popular it may be, but Lloyd is hardly "legendary" by any means. Especially when it's likely a choice between either Pac-Man OR Lloyd. The more legendary one would win out, and the more legendary one is Pac-Man.
That makes me sad.

At least one can approximate Smash by setting the control mode to 'manual' in Tales of Symphonia.
DDing in ToS all day

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's funny how Tales of Symphonia became a non-Nintendo exclusive now that it's available on the PS3.
Personally I think Lloyd isn't going to happen, no matter how cool it might be.

Zeallyx

At least you can play as him in SSF2.
That's not much of a consolation imo.

It's funny how Tales of Symphonia became a non-Nintendo exclusive now that it's available on the PS3.
Personally I think Lloyd isn't going to happen, no matter how cool it might be.
Tales of Symphonia was already also for the PS2 in Japan for quite some time.

Last edited:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Add Goemon, Power rangers, Disney characters, more Pokemon for sure, heck, drop In some KI! and mostly, add all the veteran characters and more of their character series. There Smash4 Is completed. Good day~

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Add Goemon, Power rangers, Disney characters, more Pokemon for sure, heck, drop In some KI! and mostly, add all the veteran characters and more of their character series. There Smash4 Is completed. Good day~
I will literally eat my hat if the Power Rangers get in. I promise you that.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Oh man. I remember playing Mystical Ninja on the N64. Good times. And any of the four characters in that game would be a good fit in Smash. :shades:

Zeallyx

All that's missing there is Lloyd.

I'm not losing hope just yet.

=(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom