• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I've never really found Tingle too likely as a Zelda newcomer. I believe the only thing he did that was really important was in WW and in MM he was only semi-important (depending on if you want to see the map often or not.)

?????????????

Smash Master
Feedback plz...

Perfect, no?
While I don't think either 4 DK characters or 4 Fire Emblem characters is unreasonable, I think you're pushing the size of the roster at 52. I would say no more than 50. That's my feeling/advice.

Takamaru is pretty bland imo
How? I could honestly understand this argument if it was about Chrom or Roy, but how is Takamaru bland? Katana fighting style, throwing knives, shuriken, fire and electric manipulation, clay bombs, and invisibility? He has so much to work with.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So everyone has to have a meaningful role in more than one game to be considered? I guess being present from the beginning isn't good enough, and then being in multiple titles was peoples other prerequisite, now they have to be important on a regular basis as well?... hmm the list of hopefuls gets shorter by the day from what people expect out of these choices.
Maybe to me I guess??

Since I said,
I'd realistically consider her.
I was only referring to my own personal opinion. I didn't suggest that, "Impa cannot be considered to be playable unless my criteria has been met! Because I am the guy who makes the rules and Sakurai listens to me!!!"

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
So in regards to R.O.B., does anyone think he'd he considered a high priority to include in the next roster, based on his extremely unique traits?

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
How? I could honestly understand this argument if it was about Chrom or Roy, but how is Takamaru bland? Katana fighting style, throwing knives, shuriken, fire and electric manipulation, clay bombs, and invisibility? He has so much to work with.
But he's just a Goroh clone. :troll:
But enough of my nonsense. Anyone got something interesting to talk about?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I get the feeling that we will be getting a Kirby disconfirmedation soon.

Mario has Waluigi deconfirmed on Thursday.
Pokemon has Dedenne deconfirmed on Friday.
Zelda has Kotake and Koume deconfirmed today.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕

. . . . . . . .
i'm now inconsiderably worried about bandana dee now. . . . . .
though its just probably another fan speculated theory . . . . I hope. . . .

Last edited:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052

No, Metroid Ridley deconfirmation next. :troll:
Anyways, those are all coincidences, and Dedenne and the Witch Twins never really had a chance in the first place.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So I read a thread explaining Japanese Smash discussion, and who is popular, and I've also been doing some research on the subject by myself.

Here's something really interesting that I found. Right next to Mewtwo, the most popular character is Roy!
I feel that this greatly increases his chances.

Japan completely overlooked Little Mac, yet Sakurai heard the outcries over the seas.
Wouldn't Sakurai hear outcry for a character coming from where he lives?

-Everyone wanted Mega Man, so naturally he got in.
-Everyone wants Mewtwo, and he is basically shoe-in.
-The West wanted Mac, and he got in.
-The West wants Ridley, and he is pretty likely in everyone's eyes (unless you're a toobiggot).
-Japan (The East) wants Roy, so why shouldn't he get in?

So yeah, I am starting to think Roy is pretty likely to return. But it would seem unfair to have Marth, Ike, Roy, and no Awakening representative (considering how big of a hit Awakening was).

So I now believe that there may very well be 4 Fire Emblem characters.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
So I read a thread explaining Japanese Smash discussion, and who is popular, and I've also been doing some research on the subject by myself.

Here's something really interesting that I found. Right next to Mewtwo, the most popular character is Roy!

Japan completely overlooked Little Mac, yet Sakurai heard the outcries over the seas.

-The West wants Ridley, and he is pretty likely in everyone's eyes (unless you're a toobiggot).

So yeah, I am starting to think Roy is pretty likely to return. But it would seem unfair to have Marth, Ike, Roy, and no Awakening representative (considering how big of a hit Awakening was).

Thoughts?
Possibly, I was always a fan of Roy. However, I think they would rather go with a current gen rep, so I see Chrom or Lucina a bit more likely, and Roy not being added, but I guess we'll see in time!

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Because popularity shouldn't matter extremely when deciding on character choices?
Well the fact is, it does in Smash.

For all we know, it was probably just a mere coincidence, plus none of them had decent chances anyways.
I'm rooting for a Dixie (or other DK character) de-confirmation tomorrow!
Whose with me!

Possibly, I was always a fan of Roy. However, I think they would rather go with a current gen rep, so I see Chrom or Lucina a bit more likely, and Roy not being added, but I guess we'll see in time!
This is what I originally thought, but I just realized how popular Roy's return is.
Popularity plays a big role in choosing Smash characters, and if Roy is on the same tier with Mewtwo in Japan Smash Discussion, that increases his chances greatly in my eyes.

Plus, think about it this way. Shouldn't it be the same for Pokémon newcomers? Yes, it should. But Mewtwo's return is highly wanted. It is wanted to a point where we all know that Sakurai knows.
It is kind of the same with Roy, except that Roy is a bit less popular than Mewtwo.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
The thing with Roy is that he still is one of the most popular FE characters in Japan, sitting near that level Marth is at, and is one of the few popular ones over here. I think Roy has a better chance than some estimate.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I wouldn't mind Roy's return, but I think more than three FE characters is overkill. I'd be fine with Roy replacing Ike though.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Well the fact is, it does in Smash.

I'm rooting for a Dixie (or other DK character) de-confirmation tomorrow!
Whose with me!

This is what I originally thought, but I just realized how popular Roy's return is.
Popularity plays a big role in choosing Smash characters, and if Roy is on the same tier with Mewtwo in Japan Smash Discussion, that increases his chances greatly in my eyes.

Plus, think about it this way. Shouldn't it be the same for Pokémon newcomers? Yes, it should. But Mewtwo's return is highly wanted. It is wanted to a point where we all know that Sakurai knows.
It is kind of the same with Roy, except that Roy is a bit less popular than Mewtwo.
You could certainly apply the same logic to current Pokemon, but the issue lies in 6th gen. There really hasn't been one Pokemon that's been extremely iconic in this gen, unlike Mewtwo and Lucario, who are staples of the franchise. Unless a new hero arises from our current gen, the previous icons will reign in the roster. HAWLUCHA DOES NOT COUNT. (Although I would LOVE that if it were to happen.) FE, however, has had plenty of characters in their latest installment that could have enough merit to truly make them rep their series well in Smash. If you'd like, I could go a bit more detail, but I'd rather here your perspective on my previous claim, i'm all for discussion :)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Thoughts?
Roy is in a franchise with an ever changing cast. At this point, it would be like adding a Pokemon from Gen 2 or 3 to add Roy over Chrom or a current character. Now I'm not saying that Chrom would get in on recent activity alone, because Sakurai doesn't add characters that way. But to think that Intelligent Systems would recommend Roy over a character who is the flagship character of their latest and best selling game? I don't buy that.

Don't come at me with Chrom hate for those of you reading. I frankly don't give a damn if you're going to ignore the flat out consistencies between Pokemon and Fire Emblem. The only thing Chrom has going against him is the bland parts of his character.

What I'm saying is, that it wouldn't make much sense on Sakurai's part to add Roy back at this point. Popularity on its own doesn't mean jack squat. You need a bit of everything. See Rosalina.

Honestly, considering neither of the likely additions to Fire Emblem add anything, I would say just keep Marth and Ike and call it a day.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Thoughts?
Tbh, I am kinda surprised about Roy's high popularity in both Japan and in the West, however, I ain't one to complain haha.

I do not believe that Smash 4 needs a playable Awakening character just because the game was successful. I want a character like Robin, for example, because I think he could a pretty unique addition, and I personally like Robin himself. Sakurai is a fan of the FE games, and Brawl certainly wasn't lacking in FE content. I think Smash 4 will have a good amount of Awakening content (music, trophies, perhaps an AT, etc.), and that's enough for me -- I'd be fine if we don't get an Awakening character, though some people might disagree.

Although I always thought that Roy does have a good chance , he still has competition, and I have a deep feeling that we won't see him again (as much as I hate to admit haha), unless if there's DLC (though I hope to be proven wrong).

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Roy is in a franchise with an ever changing cast. At this point, it would be like adding a Pokemon from Gen 2 or 3 to add Roy over Chrom or a current character. Now I'm not saying that Chrom would get in on recent activity alone, because Sakurai doesn't add characters that way. But to think that Intelligent Systems would recommend Roy over a character who is the flagship character of their latest and best selling game? I don't buy that.

Don't come at me with Chrom hate for those of you reading. I frankly don't give a damn if you're going to ignore the flat out consistencies between Pokemon and Fire Emblem. The only thing Chrom has going against him is the bland parts of his character.

What I'm saying is, that it wouldn't make much sense on Sakurai's part to add Roy back at this point. Popularity on its own doesn't mean jack squat. You need a bit of everything. See Rosalina.
I agree with most of what you're. I just think that Roy has a sort of "boost" going for him due to his high popularity in Japan. But as you said, popularity on its own doesn't cut it.

Though I don't think that adding Roy would be like adding a 2nd or 3rd Gen Pokémon, only because Roy was already in a Smash game, and that was one of the things he was known for.

As for IS recommending Chrom, you have to remember that Sakurai asks IS to recommend NEWCOMERS. While I don't know this for a fact, I think Sakurai decides what he is doing with veterans mainly by himself, with maybe a little input by IS. But I think the newcomer is the main thing IS cares about. IS probably won't care if Sakurai brings back Roy ALONG WITH Chrom, since they will still be promoting Awakening.

And don't get me wrong, I don't think Roy should get in over Chrom. In fact, I think Chrom is the first obvious choice for a FE newcomer. He doesn't have anything against him, and can easily have a different Playstyle than Marth or Ike. A sword is such a unique weapon, as there are so many different ways to use it.

I just feel that if Marth, Ike, and Chrom get in, Sakurai may consider giving FE a 4th slot, due to Roy's popularity. And just like Chrom, Roy can be unique too, especially with that Fire aspect. God knows how Sakurai could use THAT).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Frankly, as nice as it would be to have 2 new characters for any series, I don't think any series will get 2 this time around. There really isn't a need to dig that deep. Would I like K.Rool and Dixie? Yeah, I would. But I think we're only going to see one per series this installment.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Brawl Roster.png

Not a prediction roster as such, but a hypothetical one.

Mewtwo and Roy are in due to popularity. Mii and Pac-Man are in on the assumption (though I don't necessarily agree with it) that the pre-E3 rumour turns out to be true. Cranky Kong is in over Dixie and Rool because I can definitely see Sakurai being that kind of troll, Palutena because of the hypothetical leaks, Ridley because Ridley, Goroh because I think he could be an interesting moveset and Duck Hunt Dog/Simon Belmont because f**k the rules I love the NES era.

So yeah... thoughts?

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I'd rather have a character with more potential in terms of uniqueness, like Tiki or Anna. Or maybe a Lyn, or a supporting character like Lucina just because.

Hmmm, who are the most important FE characters?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
View attachment 9569

Not a prediction roster as such, but a hypothetical one.

Mewtwo and Roy are in due to popularity. Mii and Pac-Man are in on the assumption (though I don't necessarily agree with it) that the pre-E3 rumour turns out to be true. Cranky Kong is in over Dixie and Rool because I can definitely see Sakurai being that kind of troll, Palutena because of the hypothetical leaks, Ridley because Ridley, Goroh because I think he could be an interesting moveset and Duck Hunt Dog/Simon Belmont because f**k the rules I love the NES era.

So yeah... thoughts?
The first thing my eyes gazed upon was Simon

And sir,if Konami got a new rep,my gloves would fit Simon.
No,that's not sexual you dirty boy.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I agree with most of what you're. I just think that Roy has a sort of "boost" going for him due to his high popularity in Japan. But as you said, popularity on its own doesn't cut it.

Yes.

Though I don't think that adding Roy would be like adding a 2nd or 3rd Gen Pokémon, only because Roy was already in a Smash game, and that was one of the things he was known for.

I guess Sakurai might acknowledge those characters first, like ATs and cut characters.

As for IS recommending Chrom, you have to remember that Sakurai asks IS to recommend NEWCOMERS. While I don't know this for a fact, I think Sakurai decides what he is doing with veterans mainly by himself, with maybe a little input by IS. But I think the newcomer is the main thing IS cares about. IS probably won't care if Sakurai brings back Roy ALONG WITH Chrom, since they will still be promoting Awakening.

Honestly I don't think two FE newcomers/returning cut characters will make it.

And don't get me wrong, I don't think Roy should get in over Chrom. In fact, I think Chrom is the first obvious choice for a FE newcomer. He doesn't have anything against him, and can easily have a different Playstyle than Marth or Ike. A sword is such a unique weapon, as there are so many different ways to use it.

So I wasted my time?

I just feel that if Marth, Ike, and Chrom get in, Sakurai may consider giving FE a 4th slot, due to Roy's popularity. And just like Chrom, Roy can be unique too, especially with that Fire aspect. God knows how Sakurai could use THAT).

Again, two FE won't make it. Choose one.

Or choose someone else.
What does everyone think of Lucina?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Alright.
I'll bite.
But I'm picking out of the box.

Seth

Last edited: