• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
LEIF'S GOT BEEF.
No he doesn't.
He's literally almost as fragile looking as Marth is.
View attachment 9569

Not a prediction roster as such, but a hypothetical one.

Mewtwo and Roy are in due to popularity. Mii and Pac-Man are in on the assumption (though I don't necessarily agree with it) that the pre-E3 rumour turns out to be true. Cranky Kong is in over Dixie and Rool because I can definitely see Sakurai being that kind of troll, Palutena because of the hypothetical leaks, Ridley because Ridley, Goroh because I think he could be an interesting moveset and Duck Hunt Dog/Simon Belmont because f**k the rules I love the NES era.

So yeah... thoughts?
• Cranky would be hilarious and I welcome the possibility.
• Ridley is neat.
• Palutena is nice.
• Goroh would be a good surprise.
• Mewtwo is to be expected.
• Roy would certainly be a twist! Can't say I'd prefer him over other options though.
• Miis aren't my cup of tea, but I think they have to be implemented somewhere.
• The Hound (Duck Hunt Dog) would be nice surprise too, although I do prefer other retro options personally.
• Pac is plausible.
• Don't lie, the only reason why you added Simon is because you want a Captain N cast reunion. It's okay, we all do.

Dairz

Smash Ace
View attachment 9569

Not a prediction roster as such, but a hypothetical one.

Mewtwo and Roy are in due to popularity. Mii and Pac-Man are in on the assumption (though I don't necessarily agree with it) that the pre-E3 rumour turns out to be true. Cranky Kong is in over Dixie and Rool because I can definitely see Sakurai being that kind of troll, Palutena because of the hypothetical leaks, Ridley because Ridley, Goroh because I think he could be an interesting moveset and Duck Hunt Dog/Simon Belmont because f**k the rules I love the NES era.

So yeah... thoughts?
I think 4 guests is pushing it, but other than that its awesome!

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I'd rather have a character with more potential in terms of uniqueness, like Tiki or Anna. Or maybe a Lyn, or a supporting character like Lucina just because.

Hmmm, who are the most important FE characters?
Besides Marth? I'd say Tiki and Robin. Tiki's been in a lot of the games, and Robin is basically a representation of the player.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Ganon is one of the few characters I really support and would really love to see in this game as a playable character. He could be a solid compromise between those who like Ganondorf as he is and those who want the King of Evil to have a unique moveset. Also, it could be a VERY unique moveset. That being said, he is a character I will have to wait until release to have my heartbroken for as I have no reason to believe he would be announced prior to the full roster. I don't think he'd generate a huge amount of hype.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ganon is one of the few characters I really support and would really love to see in this game as a playable character. He could be a solid compromise between those who like Ganondorf as he is and those who want the King of Evil to have a unique moveset. Also, it could be a VERY unique moveset. That being said, he is a character I will have to wait until release to have my heartbroken for as I have no reason to believe he would be announced prior to the full roster. I don't think he'd generate a huge amount of hype.
It's really no use. We know even with our hopes and dreams he will more likely be the same.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Jonathan's Roster.png

So, might I get some feedback on my roster here? It's been awhile, and I'd very much appreciate feedback based on the current likelihood of these characters.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I can't understand the mindset of people who want Ganon in the game. You all know he was already in Brawl right? Oh yeah, no items. Fox only, Final Destination.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Here's why.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself too well.

I meant to say: "I am kinda surprised about Roy's high popularity in both Japan and in the West showing up even today".

I understand why Roy is popular and his cut did greatly affect people. Even if people want to make they argument that people didn't care about Roy before his cut (which I disagree with), he's still popular and people obviously feel negative towards his removal. Popularity is popularity know matter how it's earned.

Anyway, because of Roy's popularity, this doesn't make him a flavour of the month character, as we wouldn't even see people bring him up today and his popularity would've been nonexistent. Melee made Roy popular, but that doesn't necessarily mean he would be highly requested in Japan (and the West), or else other cut characters like Dr. Mario. Young Link, Pichu would be just as requested as Mewtwo/Roy, and we would have seen a lot more backlash towards Dr. Mario, Pichu, etc.

I never knew a series like Smash could have a huge impact on a character, especially for a character that debuted 10+ years ago. It's crazy when you think about, but that's the nature of this popular series. That's what it does to characters.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Sorry, I didn't explain myself too well.

I meant to say: "I am kinda surprised about Roy's high popularity in both Japan and in the West showing up even today".

I understand why Roy is popular and his cut did greatly affect people. Even if people want to make they argument that people didn't care about Roy before his cut (which I disagree with), he's still popular and people obviously feel negative towards his removal. Popularity is popularity know matter how it's earned.

Anyway, because of Roy's popularity, this doesn't make him a flavour of the month character, as we wouldn't even see people bring him up today and his popularity would've been nonexistent. Melee made Roy popular, but that doesn't necessarily mean he would be highly requested in Japan (and the West), or else other cut characters like Dr. Mario. Young Link, Pichu would be just as requested as Mewtwo/Roy, and we would have seen a lot more backlash towards Dr. Mario, Pichu, etc.

I never knew a series like Smash could have a huge impact on a character, especially for a character that debuted 10+ years ago. It's crazy when you think about, but that's the nature of this popular series. That's what it does to characters.
I cannot say as to why Roy gained popularity.

He wasn't a popular character, usually being cast aside with characters like Dr. Mario and Young Link. But note the past tense, he wasn't a popular character. I cannot say what exactly caused Roy to gain a cult status in the fanbase, considering he is more or less an inferior Marth. I want to say it was because he was scrapped in the next installment and people were retracting their opinions out of some sort of pity, like Mewtwo. But again, he was one of the 6 last minute clone characters, so he lacked the justification of Mewtwo sporting a unique moveset. So why didn't the likes of Dr. Mario and Pichu get the same reaction? Then I'd presume it had to do with some fans out there having a preference for Roy, supposedly due to how it's easier to use Roy. For example, I know ChronoBound mentioned that he liked Roy more then Marth due to feeling he can make kills better (which is a farce in my opinion). But again, I would argue again that you could say similar things for Dr. Mario and Pichu, but again they don't the cult that Roy has.

So what is it exactly with Roy that gave him a cult status in the fanbase?

I honestly cannot figure it out. I could see Roy gain some fans from Project M, where he's enhanced and modified to be more viable (I should know, I love using him). But even before that sometime after Brawl was released Roy gained an odd amount of popularity, and I cannot exactly pinpoint the exact answer as to why.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
View attachment 9574

So, might I get some feedback on my roster here? It's been awhile, and I'd very much appreciate feedback based on the current likelihood of these characters.
Good work on the roster now this is only my opinion but get rid of these 3 and you just made mine

Get rid of ike tetra and possible lucas there you go thats my roster

I really like it overall though

And I know takamaru might be more likely but I would replace him with Mach rider

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

He wasn't a popular character, usually being cast aside with characters like Dr. Mario and Young Link. But note the past tense, he wasn't a popular character. I cannot say what exactly caused Roy to gain a cult status in the fanbase, considering he is more or less an inferior Marth. I want to say it was because he was scrapped in the next installment and people were retracting their opinions out of some sort of pity, like Mewtwo. But again, he was one of the 6 last minute clone characters, so he lacked the justification of Mewtwo sporting a unique moveset. So why didn't the likes of Dr. Mario and Pichu get the same reaction? Then I'd presume it had to do with some fans out there having a preference for Roy, supposedly due to how it's easier to use Roy. For example, I know ChronoBound mentioned that he liked Roy more then Marth due to feeling he can make kills better (which is a farce in my opinion). But again, I would argue again that you could say similar things for Dr. Mario and Pichu, but again they don't the cult that Roy has.

I honestly cannot figure it out. I could see Roy gain some fans from Project M, where he's enhanced and modified to be more viable (I should know, I love using him). But even before that sometime after Brawl was released Roy gained an odd amount of popularity, and I cannot exactly pinpoint the exact answer as to why.
I'm completely dumbfounded just like you as to why Roy gained popularity. The scary thing is that Sakurai predicted that people will fall in love with him, as he has some sort of "charm" (I think mentioned on Roy's Melee page), which is technically right as now he's highly popular. O.o I think describing his popularity as a cult isn't too far off though.

To find out what exactly makes Roy popular, you're gonna have to ask every Roy supporter why they like/support Roy... good luck with that. :laugh: jk, jk. I'm sure there's some people who supported Roy even before his cut, perhaps why we see a lot of fans requesting him. Though I wasn't around pre-Brawl, so I can't say. But is it true that he gained more popularity after Brawl's release? I'd also like to know if Japan is in a similar case. It's bizarre to say the least.

So Chrono particularly liked Roy because he feels it's easier to land kills versus Marth? Hmm, interesting (I think I remember him mentioning it). I think there are a lot of things that attracted me to Roy as a kid. I vaguely remember liking that Dtilt > Fsmash combo. :laugh: Although why I chose to main Roy back than was something deeper I think.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I wouldn't know exactly, but I'm guessing it has to do with him not making it into Brawl and also the fact that Fire Emblem has become immensely popular worldwide. Even if Roy was a clone and not necessarily liked at the time of Melee, he still gained some fans and users, who were disappointed about him not making it into Brawl. So around the time of Brawl was when he was acknowledged more, because he DIDN'T return, and the requests on him began to grow. At the same time, the Fire Emblem series kept growing and growing, so he gained fans through that too. I feel like there's just a lot of fandom, nostalgia and sentimental value to him, which shows as popularity.

I do see where Roy fans are coming from. The transition from Melee to Brawl was the first to have characters cut, so no one really saw it coming (necessarily). So basically after that it was needed to be loud with these characters again, to possibly help them make it in the next game. I hate seeing characters cut, so I was a bit disappointed to see Roy and especially Mewtwo go. But who knows, maybe they'll make it in now, a little tweaked of course. I would love to see all characters in one game, though many (if not all) of the Melee ones especially were clones so maybe just have the Brawl roster + warrant spots for Roy and Mewtwo, and have Dr. Mario, Pichu and Young Link as alts or something, if they all had to be included somehow. But realistically though, I think only Mewtwo has the best shot of making it in this time out of the Melee cuts.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 9574

Don't think anyone else saw this yet, so I'll give it a try.

First of all the number of characters at 50 is a very cautious, good prediction. K. Rool as the only DK rep is probably accurate and the best bet for the series. I'd disagree on Tetra being added for Zelda rep, but that series is insanely tricky to guess, so Tetra's not bad in that slot. Only other rep I could see at this point is Tingle, he just makes a very good fit as assist trophy. Ridley's a good pick. Mewtwo returning for the 'new' Pokemon rep is a good choice, I totally agree.

Robin over Chrom I get the sense is part of a wider feeling that we need to re-evaluate Chrom's chances, as I don't especially consider Robin likely over the distinguished pattern for FE newcmers. I think I may just be stuck in the past on that one, so that pick is also fine. Takamaru I really don't know on. He's a decent pick yeah, but it's like Zelda, retro characters are practically impossible to know.

Shulk is probably the most questionable pick on here, but the fact they're pushing him by having him in X probably helps his chances, so not a bad pick. Pac-Man, yes, I duly hope so. It's another unknown with a third-party, most seem to agree Pac-Man's likely. Mii is likely, but is a rep with infinite implementations in the game other than being playable and I can see Sakurai holding off on Mii's reveal no matter the execution.

Other than that, no cuts to the roster, which I agree with. This roster is sure not to be wholly accurate, but as far as things we know, this is a very good roster. I'd be pretty happy with it considering it has Ridley, Mewtwo and K. Rool. The only points of contention are the Zelda rep, Robin and Mii, in my opinion, all just because of the circumstances surrounding them. This is fairly close to what my roster would look like.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I cannot speak for others, but I remember that my main reason for getting attracted to Roy were his fire sword attacks (particularly Neutral B and Up B). Flashy effects do help with first impressions, I think.

One reason why Roy escaped Dr. Mario or Pichu's fate could be because he was more distinct as a character, like Falco and Ganondorf. Dr. Mario is just another version of Mario while Pichu wasn't a very popular pokémon as far as I know, which allowed his to develop a cult which Doc and Pichu failed to get.

D

Deleted member

Roy's popularity in Japan has one interesting factor. His game was only ever officially released in Japan, before the Hector/Lyn/Eliwood game, this may give an explanation, according to Chrono, for his large fanbase in the East. If you went by that alone, it would suggest Roy has a shot at locking out Chrom or Robin. I'm playing Roy's game right now, the character is not that interesting, but I can see why he'd get fans based on that alone.

As far as his Melee set goes, I tended to use Roy over Marth. His fire-based attacks weren't that much of a boon competitively, but they were fun to use. I felt the same way about Dr. Mario, a twist on the original moveset that made it far more satisfying to play. Roy's mechanic of using the width of the sword over its edge for his sweetspot gives the playstyle of the character some nice differentiation from Marth too.

It's hard to say exactly why this all adds up to his massive popularity, especially in the East, but it goes a ways in explaining it.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I must say, of the Cut Melee characters, I of course want Mewtwo back the most (and I am very sure he will be back, so I am not worried), but... I also have come to reeeally want Doctor Mario back, for some reason. :/

Have him be like he was in Melee, and with that, I mean have him have his Side Smash, Down Special and Back Air that Mario also had in Melee, giving him a few unique animations.
I really doubt he would ever come back (maybe as a alternate costume, but without the Vitamins... he's not a real doctor!), but who knows.

D

Deleted member

Doc was one of my Melee mains next to Ganondorf so I'd love for him to return, as long as it didn't necessitate any other characters were cut. It should be fairly easy to implement a Mario clone. However, it seems that Sakurai is keeping the roster fairly tight, so it probably is too much even if he was a direct clone that re-used Melee moves.

I'd be happy if he returned, though, sure there are many fans who feel the same way. Although if any clones return, it will be Mewtwo, Roy, and Doc at a distant third. I'd prefer Doc to Roy, but they can elaborate on Roy further from Marth than Doc, who is essentially an alternate costume for Mario.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I want to know why people dislikes Roy more than anything. Yes, he was a clone, yes, he's not exactly important to FE like Marth or Ike, but he wasn't what I would call a joke character like Pichu/Dr.Mario, he was more of a plus character to me, like Toon Link or Falco. His playstyle was fun rather than competitive but who cares? He's the weakest lord? So what, that didn't stop Jigglypuff. And certainly it's not as if they couldn't make something different for his moveset this time around, look at Project M's Roy for example.
So... why? By being a pseudo-clone doesn't mean he'll steal a spot to anyone since they're easier to implement.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How? I could honestly understand this argument if it was about Chrom or Roy, but how is Takamaru bland? Katana fighting style, throwing knives, shuriken, fire and electric manipulation, clay bombs, and invisibility? He has so much to work with.
I bet he's a Many Swords Bigot. :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want to know why people dislikes Roy more than anything. Yes, he was a clone, yes, he's not exactly important to FE like Marth or Ike, but he wasn't what I would call a joke character like Pichu/Dr.Mario, he was more of a plus character to me, like Toon Link or Falco. His playstyle was fun rather than competitive but who cares? He's the weakest lord? So what, that didn't stop Jigglypuff. And certainly it's not as if they couldn't make something different for his moveset this time around, look at Project M's Roy for example.
So... why? By being a pseudo-clone doesn't mean he'll steal a spot to anyone since they're easier to implement.
It must stem from the fact Roy was a clone, plain and simple. I disagree that Doc Mario is considered a joke character, although he's not taken as a serious candidate. What Roy also has going against him, unlike Falco for example, is how non-viable he is at tournaments. Marth completely blows him out of the water, so he ends up in a similar position as Pichu. It's lame that tier lists and tourney preference gets to determine opinion like that, but it really does. I have no doubt if Pichu or Doc Mario were as big as Falco at competitive levels they'd have instead returned, or even worse, if Sakurai wasn't such a fan of StarFox.

Most fans also don't appreciate the concept of implementation being easier for a clone or returning character, they probably sub-consciously consider Roy as a rival to their most wanted newcomers. Some people really think Roy is in competition with Ridley.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
He's the weakest lord? So what, that didn't stop Jigglypuff.
Jigglypuff crushes Dragons now... (Maybe that's why Ridley hasn't shown up in games yet!)

I always enjoyed Roy. I don't really know much about the FE franchise since I haven't played any of the games. Marth, Ike, and Roy are the only three characters I know. Oh, and Chrom from all of the discussions.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
It must stem from the fact Roy was a clone, plain and simple. I disagree that Doc Mario is considered a joke character, although he's not taken as a serious candidate. What Roy also has going against him, unlike Falco for example, is how non-viable he is at tournaments. Marth completely blows him out of the water, so he ends up in a similar position as Pichu. It's lame that tier lists and tourney preference gets to determine opinion like that, but it really does. I have no doubt if Pichu or Doc Mario were as big as Falco at competitive levels they'd have instead returned, or even worse, if Sakurai wasn't such a fan of StarFox.

Most fans also don't appreciate the concept of implementation being easier for a clone or returning character, they probably sub-consciously consider Roy as a rival to their most wanted newcomers. Some people really think Roy is in competition with Ridley.
Well, Dr. Mario is a joke because he would easily be an alternate costume for Mario more than anything.
As for Roy I would like to see how much people would support him if he were more different than Marth or even be better than him in the tier list. Yes, it's sad some people think this way.

D

Deleted member

Well, Dr. Mario is a joke because he would easily be an alternate costume for Mario more than anything.
As for Roy I would like to see how much people would support him if he were more different than Marth or even be better than him in the tier list. Yes, it's sad some people think this way.
I was more talking in terms of terminology for Dr. Mario, he is basically a joke, but not referred to as one. Doc actually has some success at tournaments, oddly enough. Thing about that character is he's the definitive clone because he's literally the same character. It must have taken a fraction of the amount of time as other newcomers in Melee to add Doc.

It's honestly so bad, that way of thinking, I imagine Roy would've returned in Brawl had he occupied the top ten of the Melee tier list. The tiers seep out of Smash Boards to the general fanbase, that proceeds to parrot how good the characters are as if their capability as a fighter represents their viability as a rep. This happens in other series like Pokémon too, when it's basically just numbers being imbalanced. If Roy had better stats then it'd all be very different.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I could see DLC about these Melee Clones. ^^ I doubt Sakurai would care to spend time bringing them back during Smash 4's development, so if he decides he wanna make some DLC, they would be perfect and easy.

Roy, Doctor Mario, Pichu, and Young Link, as well as a few Retro Stages, would be a awesome DLC pack.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, I might have some info.

Last night I went to Gamestop to pick up Bravely Default. We got on the topic of Nintendo, and eventually Smash Bros. I asked him about news about a potential release date. He told me, that while he doesn't exactly know when, he DOES go to a conference between Nintendo and Gamestop every year. At said conference, they typically see one brand new game; yet to be announced, and one that is a huge title. He also said, that usually Nintendo when releases one big Spring or Summer game (MK8), that they almost always follow up with a big November release...looks like Smash Bros might be dropping in November.

What that means for character speculation, I cannot say. But it might be an indication of how many more character we may see.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 9574

So, might I get some feedback on my roster here? It's been awhile, and I'd very much appreciate feedback based on the current likelihood of these characters.​
Or FSG approves it in English, just too lazy to remake it now. :p

And yeah, this is actually my face, with sunglasses on in order to still preserve a part of my anonymity. ;)

Does a trombinoscope exist somewhere on the forum BTW ?​

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think when people say he's the weakest lord, they're referring to his Fire Emblem game where he's actually pretty bad due to lackluster stats, growths and a very late promotion which makes him dead weight in a game that's more difficult then some of its companions. He's also not exactly the most interesting character there either so that also could've effected opinions on him.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Well, I might have some info.

Last night I went to Gamestop to pick up Bravely Default. We got on the topic of Nintendo, and eventually Smash Bros. I asked him about news about a potential release date. He told me, that while he doesn't exactly know when, he DOES go to a conference between Nintendo and Gamestop every year. At said conference, they typically see one brand new game; yet to be announced, and one that is a huge title. He also said, that usually Nintendo when releases one big Spring or Summer game (MK8), that they almost always follow up with a big November release...looks like Smash Bros might be dropping in November.

What that means for character speculation, I cannot say. But it might be an indication of how many more character we may see.
Interesting, maybe we will have like 17 more characters reveals, two per month except for June, E3 would probably have 3 character reveals.
Forget spears, we need someone with a lance in this game.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
People like fire and instant death attacks.

Hence, the fascination with Captain Falcon and Roy.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Except Falcon doesn't have an instant kill move.
Unless if you're bad.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Doc was one of my Melee mains next to Ganondorf so I'd love for him to return, as long as it didn't necessitate any other characters were cut. It should be fairly easy to implement a Mario clone. However, it seems that Sakurai is keeping the roster fairly tight, so it probably is too much even if he was a direct clone that re-used Melee moves.

I'd be happy if he returned, though, sure there are many fans who feel the same way. Although if any clones return, it will be Mewtwo, Roy, and Doc at a distant third. I'd prefer Doc to Roy, but they can elaborate on Roy further from Marth than Doc, who is essentially an alternate costume for Mario.
You'd think a character like Dr. Mario, who came from a well known and positively received series available in both Japan and in the West (not only that, but appeared in Melee), would receive more requests. Perhaps it's his clone status or him basically looking like Mario in a lab coat discourages people from requesting him? I can't say for sure.

Perhaps it's also because of the competition the Mario series had, though Roy's game didn't even get localized, so Doc has an advantage in that area. It seems like that doesn't mean much anyway as Doc isn't highly popular.

Doc is one of my Melee secondaries. For some reason I think he's a pretty hilarious fighter. My pipe dream is for him to return fully de-cloned. Perhaps using megavitamins (also in the shape of puzzle blocks), viruses, and various medical producers/maneuvers in mean of attack. Make him a more comedic fighter, kinda like WFT. However, I know that's never going to happen, and him being a semi-clone will take less time and resources, so I think that's the better route.

There are other Mario characters that I'd prefer to see before Dr. Mario, though. Like Dr. Luigi! :awesome: I'm joking, I'm joking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom