• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
If he turns around his Falcon Punch, close enough. It is also made out of fire.
It's not fire! It's. . . . . Very hot...wind?
You'd think a character like Dr. Mario, who came from a well known and positively received series available in both Japan and in the West (not only that, but appeared in Melee), would receive more requests. Perhaps it's his clone status or him basically looking like Mario in a lab coat discourages people from requesting him? I can't say for sure.

Perhaps it's also because of the competition the Mario series had, though Roy's game didn't even get localized, so Doc has an advantage in that area. It seems like that doesn't mean much anyway as Doc isn't highly popular.

Doc is one of my Melee secondaries. For some reason I think he's a pretty hilarious fighter. My pipe dream is for him to return fully de-cloned. Perhaps using megavitamins (also in the shape of puzzle blocks), viruses, and various medical producers/maneuvers in mean of attack. Make him a more comedic fighter, kinda like WFT. However, I know that's never going to happen, and him being a semi-clone will take less time and resources, so I think that's the better route.

There are other Mario characters that I'd prefer to see before Dr. Mario, though. Like Dr. Luigi! :awesome: I'm joking, I'm joking.
No Nurse Peach?
I really wish for alternate costumes without having to resort to mods. :urg:

D

Deleted member

You'd think a character like Dr. Mario, who came from a well known and positively received series available in both Japan and in the West (not only that, but appeared in Melee), would receive more requests. Perhaps it's his clone status or him basically looking like Mario in a lab coat discourages people from requesting him? I can't say for sure.

Perhaps it's also because of the competition the Mario series had, though Roy's game didn't even get localized, so Doc has an advantage in that area. It seems like that doesn't mean much anyway as Doc isn't highly popular.

Doc is one of my Melee secondaries. For some reason I think he's a pretty hilarious fighter. My pipe dream is for him to return fully de-cloned. Perhaps using megavitamins (also in the shape of puzzle blocks), viruses, and various medical producers/maneuvers in mean of attack. Make him a more comedic fighter, kinda like WFT. However, I know that's never going to happen, and him being a semi-clone will take less time and resources, so I think that's the better route.

There are other Mario characters that I'd prefer to see before Dr. Mario, though. Like Dr. Luigi! :awesome: I'm joking, I'm joking.
I can imagine getting a good deal of leverage from simply transferring the old Mario moves to a new Dr. Mario, enough to base on a whole new moveset. It's also true that Dr. Mario's game is absurdly popular as a Mario puzzle game, but it's one of those cases where relatively, popularity only gets you to a certain point. Versus other Mario newcomers it's hard to request Dr. Mario, the series has a tonne of characters to compete.

I totally agree on him being hilarious, the pill in place of the fireball and its nonsensical flinch was always satisfying to hit. I prefer a projectile that has a good trajectory over one that is just more easily spammed, that plus the strong melee moves really fit my style. When currently Mario has the one-time FLUDD there's plenty else to put on Dr. Mario's down special.

It's not impossible. I can see Sakurai potentially running out of time to add another Mario newcomer and deciding to re-implement Doc to appease Mario fans, or Melee fans, either one works. Although I imagine what with the Lucario and Toon Link reveals, when Sakurai talked of cuts (I forget the term he used) that it probably meant Melee return characters like Doc or Pichu. Oh well, maybe some day Doc will return.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

This is what I'd love to see as well.
Not fully de-cloned, though, since it's not Doc without THE FIST.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
And the reverse sex kick.

Still find it odd that people want one Melee clone, but not others. I see them all in the same boat.

Personally, I hope all four -- Doc, Pichu, Young Link, and Roy -- make it in, but maybe luigified a bit, and having completely unique Final Smashes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, I'm dumb for not knowing this thread existed, anyway, here's a shower of rant:
I'm surprised you guys are still supporting characters like Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario. THERE WON'T BE ANY MORE MARIO CHARACTERS. I've been supporting Toad since announcement, and I wasn't giving up even after Peach's reveal, but Rosalina is what threw in the towel for me. They can't have more than 5 Mario characters, that would be absolutely overboard. They'd be giving the franchise too much attention. Can you guys just face facts?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I find it hilarious that Mario and Doc's fist enlarges pretty big, slams on the opponent, then shrinks back to normal. But that's Smash for you. Also, it seems like some characters have eaten the Gum-Gum Fruit.

I also find it hilarious when people put down characters like Toad, for example, saying stuff like, "How could Toad possibly fight? His arms are too short!!" No joke, I've heard people say this before. This argument falls flat as there's characters in Smash with even more stubby limbs, like Kirby, Jiggs, Pikachu, etc.

D

Deleted member

And the reverse sex kick.

Still find it odd that people want one Melee clone, but not others. I see them all in the same boat.

Personally, I hope all four -- Doc, Pichu, Young Link, and Roy -- make it in, but maybe luigified a bit, and having completely unique Final Smashes.
It's not that I don't "want" Roy, Pichu, etc., it's that I honestly don't care much about them. If they return, cool, if they don't, oh well. I just care about Doc.
As for Young Link, I see no reason for both him and Toon Link to co-exist. Just give Toon Link the Fire Arrows (which he did use in Wind Waker, Sakurai!), and it's all good.

Staarih

Smash Master
They can't have more than 5 Mario characters, that would be absolutely overboard. They'd be giving the franchise too much attention. Can you guys just face facts?
I see where you're coming from and I do agree to some extent, but never say never when it comes to Sakurai and his unpredictability. I personally wouldn't bother supporting any other new Mario character expect for Paper Mario (and Geno if that counts as well), as he could easily represent his own series (or Mario RPG's as a whole) anyway to differentiate at least a bit from the other Mario characters.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, I'm dumb for not knowing this thread existed, anyway, here's a shower of rant:
I'm surprised you guys are still supporting characters like Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario. THERE WON'T BE ANY MORE MARIO CHARACTERS. I've been supporting Toad since announcement, and I wasn't giving up even after Peach's reveal, but Rosalina is what threw in the towel for me. They can't have more than 5 Mario characters, that would be absolutely overboard. They'd be giving the franchise too much attention. Can you guys just face facts?
Technically in Character Terms,Pokemon had 6 reps in Brawl. Yes,Charizard,Squirtle,and Ivysaur are Independent. To back up my statement,in order to get all the Pokemon Trainer Classic Mode trophies,you had to win ATLEAST three times in order to get each INDIVIDUAL character trophy of the trio.

So,there can be a 6th rep.
6 Reps are a chance,not a big one,but a chance furtherless.

EDIT : PKMN Trainer also has a trophy himself,but I wouldn't say that's a 7th rep for the fact he's not actually playable,but is needed for an action move.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Technically in Character Terms,Pokemon had 6 reps in Brawl. Yes,Charizard,Squirtle,and Ivysaur are Independent. To back up my statement,in order to get all the Pokemon Trainer Classic Mode trophies,you had to win ATLEAST three times in order to get each INDIVIDUAL character trophy of the trio.

So,there can be a 6th rep.
6 Reps are a chance,not a big one,but a chance furtherless.

EDIT : PKMN Trainer also has a trophy himself,but I wouldn't say that's a 7th rep for the fact he's not actually playable,but is needed for an action move.
Heh. I remember getting a little annoyed by that when I played. Mostly since I'm not all that good with Ivysaur. I do like Squirtle and Charizard though.

D

Deleted member

In terms of playable characters, yes, Pokémon has six.

However, in terms of actual count of characters, Pokémon has only four. The Trainer is the character; the Pokémon are just who the player controls.

EDIT: In any case, it is unwise to expect another Mario newcomer after Rosalina, just as it is unwise to expect any Pokémon newcomer if Mewtwo shows up unless either Jigglypuff or Pokémon Trainer isn't returning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
In terms of playable characters, yes, Pokémon has six.
However, in terms of actual count of characters, Pokémon has only four. The Trainer is the character; the Pokémon are just who the player controls. In any case, it is unwise to expect another Mario newcomer after Rosalina, just as it is unwise to expect any Pokémon newcomer if Mewtwo shows up unless either Jigglypuff or Pokémon Trainer isn't returning.
How about Zelda? Fire Emblem? Earthbound?

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Do you guys think Twinrova is a BGC, or a Stage Hazard?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I say stage hazard. Perhaps that's the cause of the fire?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I would expect Fire Emblem to have a higher chance of having a newcomer. Zelda is also available for a newcomer if given the chance. Earthbound is really a question of who would be a newcomer besides Maked Man (aka Claus)

Stage Hazard, and here's why.

It seems super obvious to me.
It's actually kind of both.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I would expect Fire Emblem to have a higher chance of having a newcomer. Zelda is also available for a newcomer if given the chance. Earthbound is really a question of who would be a newcomer besides Maked Man (aka Claus)
Porky is the best choice. He's an antagonist that has a notable difference from the other characters, as well as appearing in both of their games, so I'm sure he would be the next character.

Nobody can agree on a Fire Emblem and Zelda newcomer, so I vote Lucina and Midna/Ghirahim respectively.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I say stage hazard. Perhaps that's the cause of the fire?
So it's been this long since a stage hazard was revealed, even though we've seen the stage eh?

Tingle is best Zelda newcomer. Fire Emblem is so pooped up I don't know which Marth to vote for.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So it's been this long since a stage hazard was revealed, even though we've seen the stage eh?
The difference is that we've seen, like, two screenshots and two seconds of footage of Gerudo Valley, whereas every other photo takes place at Pyrosphere, and Sakurai hinted at the presence of one of the most requested characters and we still have seen nothing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Porky is the best choice. He's an antagonist that has a notable difference from the other characters, as well as appearing in both of their games, so I'm sure he would be the next character.

Nobody can agree on a Fire Emblem and Zelda newcomer, so I vote Lucina and Midna/Ghirahim respectively.
I don't have a Porky moveset,so I'm sticking with Lightsaber Claus.

Tingle is best Zelda newcomer. Fire Emblem is so pooped up I don't know which Marth to vote for.
Pooped Up?

This is the most questionable thing I have seen here so far.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I find it hilarious that Mario and Doc's fist enlarges pretty big, slams on the opponent, then shrinks back to normal. But that's Smash for you. Also, it seems like some characters have eaten the Gum-Gum Fruit.

I also find it hilarious when people put down characters like Toad, for example, saying stuff like, "How could Toad possibly fight? His arms are too short!!" No joke, I've heard people say this before. This argument falls flat as there's characters in Smash with even more stubby limbs, like Kirby, Jiggs, Pikachu, etc.
That, and Toad's perfectly capable of doing scissor kicks in Mario Strikers. :laugh:

Marth's Wife, Ceada

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That, and Toad's perfectly capable of doing scissor kicks in Mario Strikers. :laugh:

Marth's Wife, Ceada
Your probably the first person I've seen bring her up, given most of the weird fanart of Marth with the other fire emblem characters seems like most people don't even know that Marth does technically have a wife in canon lol

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Your probably the first person I've seen bring her up, given most of the weird fanart of Marth with the other fire emblem characters seems like most people don't even know that Marth does technically have a wife in canon lol
My experience with the Fire Emblem series is next to none and even I know Ceada is Marth's Wife.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well, to be fair I don't know if it's that people don't know that or they just simply choose to ignore that fact.

D

Deleted member

Don't see how any of that is relevant, considering I'm talking about a particular case of having a 6th Mario character and 6th Pokémon character (on the premise that Mewtwo comes back and all of Brawl's Pokémon are present).

But in my opinion, a 5th Zelda (not a 6th for the same reason as Mario and Pokémon), character and a 3rd FE character (not a 4th) aren't that out there. Though a 3rd Earthbound/Mother character shouldn't be expected.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
if there's a 6th pokemon character, I'd want someone from X and Y.

namely Hawlucha.

.....that's what the conversation was about, right?

(let's change it to that if it's not anyways)

Last edited:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
...anyone want to talk about shulk? is there any contendant that could take away his "i represent the wii players" spot or he is just not popular/important enough?

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Don't see how any of that is relevant, considering I'm talking about a particular case of having a 6th Mario character and 6th Pokémon character (on the premise that Mewtwo comes back and all of Brawl's Pokémon are present).

But in my opinion, a 5th Zelda (not a 6th for the same reason as Mario and Pokémon), character and a 3rd FE character (not a 4th) aren't that out there. Though a 3rd Earthbound/Mother character shouldn't be expected.
I would love to see Mother 1's version of Gigyas making it in but it's not likely. I think we are not going to get new Zelda or Pokemon charcters..but we are going to get another Fire Emblem Charcer

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, to be fair I don't know if it's that people don't know that or they just simply choose to ignore that fact.
Methinks it's the latter, especially since I've heard she got hate for "getting in the way" of their Marth x Roy or Marth x Ike shippings.

Eh anyway, what series are we discussing now?

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
So Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening... I'm pretty much positive he is joining. It's almost certain in my mind...

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well I don't know how Fire Emblem's choices aren't pooped up. You got Melee's Red Marth, Awakening's Lady Marth, and Awakening's Chrom/Marth to choose from.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There is also Robin.

So Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening... I'm pretty much positive he is joining. It's almost certain in my mind...
Considering the emphasis on variety, don't be surprised if Chrom doesn't make it in. Though that said, I still expect there to be 3 FE characters.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Red Marth? You mean Roy? Luc... er Lady Marth, (for the sake of spoilers), may join, but maybe as an assist trophy, or paired with Chrom. I'm thinking the Fire Emblem roster gets three characters. Marth is confirmed, I bet Chrom will join, and then it will be either Ike or "Lady Marth"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Dammit,not a FE discussion,it always ends with someone debating over Chrom and Lucina.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So Fire Emblem discussion again huh? Well I'll pass then.

Btw, I know how.... sensitive some of you guys can get in regards to Chrom but do try not to tear the new member apart alrighty? Thanks. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom