• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
So... if Chrom and Roy both managed to make it in, what do you guys think their Final Smashes will be?
Roy's Final Smash should be his critical ranged attack from his game, FE6, where he swings his sword and throws out these blasts of fire towards foes.

At least, that's how I remember it being like. Haven't seen it in a while so feel free to correct me.

----

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
While I do expect Chrom the most compared to others, I certainly don't want him. It will be the 4th Lord and it's getting rather redundant. I would like Robin.

For Zelda, I'm so indifferent to a newcomer it could really be anyone and I would be happy (except for Tingle, and a TZ/Tetra combo.) I love that series so anyone would really do. I think i would go for Vaati, he is to the Four Sword like what Ganondorf is to the Master Sword. Tetra would be pretty cool too, but tacking on Toon Zelda to her would feel a little bit pointless, seeing as we already have that with Zelda/Shiek.

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
...anyone want to talk about shulk? is there any contendant that could take away his "i represent the wii players" spot or he is just not popular/important enough?
The only thing I see going against Shulk is his lack of notable games. To my knowledge, Xenoblade is decently obscure, and X isn't terribly clear on if Shulk is even present. However, he does seem to have a decent following, and I can imagine he'd bring some interesting move set potential, so I wouldn't say it's impossible, by any means.

What does everyone think of Chibi Robo's chances? All these deconfirmations that have been happening have made me a little nervous as to whether or not Sakurai could see him as being important and unique enough...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
True. I like Fire Emblem. I also like the effect it has on Smash Speculation, considering just how strongly people clearly feel about it.
But you put Chrom as first in line.
And someone's going to complain that it wasn't somebody else,and my impression of that is : "Eugh!? THAT'S A CLONE. THIS PERSON HAS TRUE POTENTIAL AND A NON-CLONE BASED MOVESET and swag. "

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
But you put Chrom as first in line.
And someone's going to complain that it wasn't somebody else,and my impression of that is : "Eugh!? THAT'S A CLONE. THIS PERSON HAS TRUE POTENTIAL AND A NON-CLONE BASED MOVESET and swag. "
Saying that people have opinions of FE characters is by far a huge understatement.:laugh:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
So... if Chrom and Roy both managed to make it in, what do you guys think their Final Smashes will be?
I'd expect Roy's FS to be based around fire. They could pull some references from his game, or come up with something more original.

He's some FS ideas for Chrom I wrote for his support thread:
Final Smash - Shepherd Raid: Chrom summons various members from his army: Lucina, Robin, Frederick, Lissa, Sumia, etc, to attack or swoop down on opponents. Some members help Chrom, such as Lissa healing him during her presences. Sumia also throws down rhubarb pies that stun opponents if hit.

Alternatively - Exalted Falchion: Chrom's Falchion starts to glow orange and the centre blue. All damage Chrom previously had is healed, and the sword rapidly heals Chrom if damage is done to him. The sword itself has a bigger hitbox; all standard and smash attacks have huge range and do more damage. All specials are now a holy strike: a powerful sword slash with good range that produces an arch-shaped glowing projectile in the direction faced. The holy strike can be charged; the longer it's charged, the bigger projectile hitbox and more damage it deals. Chrom could also fly with the power of wind. The sword returns to normal after the duration of the FS.
And it is possible to have sensible FE discussions. It's just that sometimes people put down characters, which rile up people, or say things on purpose to spark aggressive debates. I mean, I don't care if people talk **** about Roy, but some people have less tolerance than me. FE is a hot topic lol.

The question is: what will happen to Ike's fire based moves (neutral B and FS)? If they return, I'd be overjoyed if they're coloured blue (like in Project M).

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Roy's would likely be the ranged critical of the Binding Blade.

Chrom's Would probably involving him shouting "ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!" and then maybe doing Aether or a crit or something. :/

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I feel like Chrom or Lucina will be the fire emblem rep. I love fire emblem, but technically unless robin is customizable and I can change his/her name then it would just be weird. Most people didn't even have 'robin' in the game. Anyway, Lucina appears to be the most popular fire emblem awakening character. Chrom and Anna are popular too.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Roy's would likely be the ranged critical of the Binding Blade.

Chrom's Would probably involving him shouting "ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!" and then maybe doing Aether or a crit or something. :/
But Ike already does Aether, and Marth already does a critical hit...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I also find it hilarious when people put down characters like Toad, for example, saying stuff like, "How could Toad possibly fight? His arms are too short!!" No joke, I've heard people say this before. This argument falls flat as there's characters in Smash with even more stubby limbs, like Kirby, Jiggs, Pikachu, etc.
People do have a habit of grasping at straws with arguments, the main thing being is that people say things without thinking it through.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Lucina is the most popular fire emblem awakening character in japan, sorry. I'm pretty sure Chrom is the most popular here in the US.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
But Ike already does Aether, and Marth already does a critical hit...
Chrom's Aether is different from Ike's. Ike's has a special animation where he throws the sword and catches it. Chrom's is just a generic double attack, which I suppose is justifiable due to the sheer number of possible classes the skill can end up on.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I feel like Chrom or Lucina will be the fire emblem rep. I love fire emblem, but technically unless robin is customizable and I can change his/her name then it would just be weird. Most people didn't even have 'robin' in the game. Anyway, Lucina appears to be the most popular fire emblem awakening character. Chrom and Anna are popular too.
Villager says hi. So does the in-game nametag system. And if you don't like Robin, how about "Tactician"?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Villager? I mean, that's a character that doesn't even have a name, and his customizability is more significant than Robin's.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Villager says hi. So does the in-game nametag system. And if you don't like Robin, how about "Tactician"?
Oh yeah I didn't even think about villager. But there are so many fantastic characters in fire emblem awakening, I'd be disappointed if they just chose the avatar. Animal crossing wouldn't have any other characters that would make sense anyway, unlike fire emblem where pretty much any character could be in.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh yeah I didn't even think about villager. But there are so many fantastic characters in fire emblem awakening, I'd be disappointed if they just chose the avatar. Animal crossing wouldn't have any other characters that would make sense anyway, unlike fire emblem where pretty much any character could be in.
Except only a couple are even important to the plot for more than one chapter. Robin is one of them.

And personally, I really liked Robin, if for nothing else, how powerful he was as a unit.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Villager? I mean, that's a character that doesn't even have a name, and his customizability is more significant than Robin's.
Same thing I said to Pacack. Villager is the only character from animal crossing that would really make sense... Fire emblem awakening has plenty of useable characters.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Same thing I said to Pacack. Villager is the only character from animal crossing that would really make sense... Fire emblem awakening has plenty of useable characters.
Ahem.

Except only a couple are even important to the plot for more than one chapter. Robin is one of them.

And personally, I really liked Robin, if for nothing else, how powerful he was as a unit.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace

I liked robin too, but he/she didn't really have nearly as much of a personality as the rest of the cast. Chrom, Lucina, Lissa, Frederick, Tiki, Say'ri, Flavia, Basilio and others played a large role in the story

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
(To be fair, I'd much rather we get Tiki, but I know how unlikely that is.)

But them, being more minor characters, would be out of place in Nintendo's game of All-Stars. The choices that are most likely are Chrom, Robin, and Lucina. And I don't know about you, but I think we need our first magic user before we get another (generic, blue-haired) swordsman.
I liked robin too, but he/she didn't really have nearly as much of a personality as the rest of the cast. Chrom, Lucina, Lissa, Frederick, Tiki, Say'ri, and others played a large role in the story
Why does personality even matter in a fighting game? Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and even main-stays like Link are fairly bland as characters and were still added over, say, Tom Nook or the Balance Board (who, yes, is a character in Wii Fit).

Last edited:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
People do have a habit of grasping at straws with arguments, the main thing being is that people say things without thinking it through.
The worst part is when people have done no research and try to back up their claims by stating that the character has powers that they actually don't.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I liked robin too, but he/she didn't really have nearly as much of a personality as the rest of the cast. Chrom, Lucina, Lissa, Frederick, Tiki, Say'ri, and others played a large role in the story
Fair enough, I wouldn't say Robin's personality was particularly deep. I found him likable, though. As for the other characters, remember, Smash is a game for All-Stars, so we're looking for main characters here. I'd say that, of the characters you listed, only Chrom and maybe Lucina could actually get in. Between those two, Chrom is much more likely due to being one of the two main characters of the game and being the most iconic. I'd say Lucina is probably the third most important character overall in the game.

Now, I said Chrom is one of the two main characters of the game. I'd say the other is Robin. Both have arguably equal importance to the overall story, with the earlier parts of the game focusing more on Chrom, while the latter parts gradually put more emphasis on Robin up until the final battle. So, I would say that the spot on the Smash roster would go to one of the two. Chrom is probably more likely overall, but Robin has the benefit of being a very unique character compared to the other Fire Emblem characters, and even Smash characters in general. His moveset potential is amazing, and I think he'd be an ideal choice for implementing a Stance Change style of moveset, which is just one possibility for him. His uniqueness is definitely his biggest selling point right now, I think.

Also, personality doesn't usually translate into Smash, for the most part at least.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
(To be fair, I'd much rather we get Tiki, but I know how unlikely that is.)

But them, being more minor characters, would be out of place in Nintendo's game of All-Stars. The choices that are most likely are Chrom, Robin, and Lucina. And I don't know about you, but I think we need our first magic user before we get another (generic, blue-haired) swordsman.

Why does personality even matter in a fighting game? Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and even main-stays like Link are fairly bland as characters and were still added over, say, Tom Nook or the Balance Board (who, yes, is a character in Wii Fit).
I know personality doesn't really matter, but smash has such a huge range of personalities that it makes it so much more fun... And the reason tom nook didn't get in is because he's simply an animal, and PETA gets on nintendos butt already about pokemon seeming like animal fights. They don't need to add on to that haha. Same thing for duck hunt dog and nintendog, peta would destroy Nintendo if they added a Labrador retriever that you can beat the crap out of in a fighting game

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I know personality doesn't really matter, but smash has such a huge range of personalities that it makes it so much more fun... And the reason tom nook didn't get in is because he's simply an animal, and PETA gets on nintendos butt already about pokemon seeming like animal fights. They don't need to add on to that haha. Same thing for duck hunt dog and nintendog, peta would destroy Nintendo if they added a Labrador retriever that you can beat the crap out of in a fighting game
...Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Sonic say hi.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
...Uh, I'm pretty sure Tom Nook didn't get in because Sakurai wanted the character you actually play as in Animal Crossing, not an (important) side character. I'm pretty sure if PETA was an issue, we wouldn't have Fox in the game. Or Pokemon. Pokemon especially. They've already gone after that one.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Fair enough, I wouldn't say Robin's personality was particularly deep. I found him likable, though. As for the other characters, remember, Smash is a game for All-Stars, so we're looking for main characters here. I'd say that, of the characters you listed, only Chrom and maybe Lucina could actually get in. Between those two, Chrom is much more likely due to being one of the two main characters of the game and being the most iconic. I'd say Lucina is probably the third most important character overall in the game.

Now, I said Chrom is one of the two main characters of the game. I'd say the other is Robin. Both have arguably equal importance to the overall story, with the earlier parts of the game focusing more on Chrom, while the latter parts gradually put more emphasis on Robin up until the final battle. So, I would say that the spot on the Smash roster would go to one of the two. Chrom is probably more likely overall, but Robin has the benefit of being a very unique character compared to the other Fire Emblem characters, and even Smash characters in general. His moveset potential is amazing, and I think he'd be an ideal choice for implementing a Stance Change style of moveset, which is just one possibility for him. His uniqueness is definitely his biggest selling point right now, I think.

Also, personality doesn't usually translate into Smash, for the most part at least.
Yes, I was not denying Robin's importance, as Chrom and the avatar are important all the way through the story. I guess it's just that I adore fire emblem and its characters and it makes me sad that great characters go unrecognized. I feel like if they add a magic user though it would be Micaiah as she is a big part of fire emblem, but that might just be my thoughts since ive never seen robin as a likely character

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The worst part is when people have done no research and try to back up their claims by stating that the character has powers that they actually don't.
Well, actually no, you can get away with making up abilities if characters don't really express any particular abilities. The thing to remember is that it should be fitting for the character in question, like for example R.O.B. having lasers and jet boosters makes sense because he's a robot, and in science fiction both abilities are traditional for robots.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
...Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Sonic say hi.
I understand that they are animals but they are cartoonized and characterized and have powers/strength, while a nintendog is literally just a plain dog. you'd literally be beating up a helpless puppy lol

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes, I was not denying Robin's importance, as Chrom and the avatar are important all the way through the story. I guess it's just that I adore fire emblem and its characters and it makes me sad that great characters go unrecognized. I feel like if they add a magic user though it would be Micaiah as she is a big part of fire emblem, but that might just be my thoughts since ive never seen robin as a likely character
Can't disagree on that one. There are a lot of great characters in games in general that will go unnoticed due to their lesser importance. Pity, really. Someone like Henry from Awakening would be awesome in Smash.

Though as for Micaiah, she'd be more likely if her game was the most recent. Unfortunately, it isn't, and an Awakening character seems much more likely at this point.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, Micaiah isn't going to be appearing in any later titles, is she? The Tactician/Avatar is something they're probably going to continue doing.
I understand that they are animals but they are cartoonized and characterized and have powers/strength, while a nintendog is literally just a plain dog. you'd literally be beating up a helpless puppy lol
...But Tom Nook is also a cartoonized character. Just like the ones I mentioned.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Can't disagree on that one. There are a lot of great characters in games in general that will go unnoticed due to their lesser importance. Pity, really. Someone like Henry from Awakening would be awesome in Smash.

Though as for Micaiah, she'd be more likely if her game was the most recent. Unfortunately, it isn't, and an Awakening character seems much more likely at this point.
Yes I agree about Micaiah, she wouldn't get in unless sakurai was feeling really generous and gave fire emblem a rep from awakening and her to even out fire emblems representation.... but that most likely wont happen haha

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Well, actually no, you can get away with making up abilities if characters don't really express any particular abilities. The thing to remember is that it should be fitting for the character in question, like for example R.O.B. having lasers and jet boosters makes sense because he's a robot, and in science fiction both abilities are traditional for robots.
To the best of my knowledge, Falcon's abilities only included driving a racecar and using a gun, but he was given explosive fire punches and kicks for Smash.

Part of me thinks that would fit him, but then again, it might just be because I know Smash Falcon better than normal Falcon.

----

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Tom Nook is a tanooki.