• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
It would be... if Falcon was Ryu, at least.

I realize it's probably misplaced hope, but I'm hoping today's PotD means we'll see OoT Ganondorf, or at least an updated/original design this time around.
Nah, it's going to be TP Ganondorf again. It's pretty much guranteed.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Looks like I missed a Snake discussion.

Well, I'm just going to go against the majority and say that I don't expect him to return. But that's that.
Nah, it's going to be TP Ganondorf again. It's pretty much guranteed.
Yep. I don't see why they'd keep Link and Zelda in their TP designs while reverting Ganondorf to OoT.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel like the only reason Link and Zelda kept their TP designs is to make Ganondorf not stand out when compared to them. So yeah, I'm expecting TP design Ganondorf as well.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I love Toon Link's TP design.:awesome:

But yeah, designs are bull****. Fox is still using his original design, just with some more details, while Wolf has his Assault design.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see all the Zelda characters resemble different points in the Zelda timeline so that they all aren't as dated. Link is a mix between SS and TP, Toon Link is obviously WW, Zelda/Sheik are their Brawl/TP designs, and Ganondorf could be OoT. That being said, they'll all probably just be in their TP designs (except Toon Link) like in Brawl, but a guy can hope for a little aesthetic change.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Are we talking about Ganondorf design? Chances are, he's getting an updated version of the TP look. Since that's pretty much what happened to Link and Zelda. Not unless we magically get Beast Ganon aka Ganonpork as a playable character. But I would prefer a re-vamped human Ganon.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd prefer both.
Eh, I guess. It'd likely be better than Link and Toon Link. Still, if I had to chose, I'd go for a re-vamped human Ganon. You're better off changing what already there then throwing in something new. At least in the context of alternate versions of characters.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I love Toon Link's TP design.:awesome:

But yeah, designs are bull****. Fox is still using his original design, just with some more details, while Wolf has his Assault design.
Fox and Falco use their Command designs actually. Wolf has the same design in Assault and Command, though Brawl made its own edits to the design too, like seperating his shoulder pads. So yeah, all the Star Fox characters actually use the same design source.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fox and Falco only use Command as a base.
Their designs are original to Smash, though.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I'd rather have a non-Capt. Ganondorf than have Pig Ganon. Unless Piggy acts like a transformation for Gerudo Ganon.
That being said, I support "Ganonpork" anywhere in the game, be it standalone or new form, even if we are stuck with Capt. Ganondorf.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's not aesthetically more like SS Link, it's completely TP Link. As was said before, the colours in SSB4 are just brighter, it has nothing to do with Skyward Sword.

If you put purple food colouring in water, you don't get grape Kool-Aid. Making TP Link brighter doesn't turn him into another Link.

As for Ganondorf, I'm just really hoping that he's actually Ganondorf this time, particularly with Bowser getting changes out of nowhere.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Is it weird I think I'd really enjoy playing as Birdo? He's in Mario Kart (At least Double Dash) and the sport titles as Yoshi's second, he was in Mario RPG (not even Luigi got in that) she was in Mario Bros. 2 as well as Doki Doki Panic. And lookit, this Captain Rainbow guy that's getting hyped in Japan, who's his landlady? Birdo.

Plus she'd add more diversity than any other character. Is she male? Is he female? Or is it about time Smash had a trans representative?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Is it weird I think I'd really enjoy playing as Birdo? He's in Mario Kart (At least Double Dash) and the sport titles as Yoshi's second, he was in Mario RPG (not even Luigi got in that) she was in Mario Bros. 2 as well as Doki Doki Panic. And lookit, this Captain Rainbow guy that's getting hyped in Japan, who's his landlady? Birdo.

Plus she'd add more diversity than any other character. Is she male? Is he female? Or is it about time Smash had a trans representative?
Considering how much I despise Birdo, seeing her in anything gets me slightly worked up. So heck no, I want to keep Smash as fun as possible.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Of course Yoshi is gay.

I mean, he's just so damn happy all the time. "So happy!"
The gayest dinosaur around.
So...he is gay because is happy...
I'm not gay and I'm happy all the time.
Yoshis produce eggs spontaneously, so I guess that would make them asexual. Like Namekians.
Yeah, I think that makes more sense.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just posted this in the social thread, but maybe it would have a better home here:

Does anyone have an accurate assessment of the most wanted characters in the Japanese Smash community?

Saw this in the Little Mac general thread: http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/

At the end of article the author mentions seeing these characters as some of the most wanted:

• Paper Mario
  • Nick / Captain Rainbow
  • Monster Hunter
  • Lucina
  • Dixie
  • Daisy
  • Waluigi
  • Shulk

?????????????

Smash Master
On the topic of Birdo...anyone got good moveset ideas? As far as I know, his/her powers including shooting eggs, shooting fireballs, vacuuming people into his/her nose/mouth, and spitting those people out encased in eggs, as well as encasing himself/herself in an egg.

So...like a really scary Yoshi semi-clone?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Just posted this in the social thread, but maybe it would have a better home here:

Does anyone have an accurate assessment of the most wanted characters in the Japanese Smash community?

Saw this in the Little Mac general thread: http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/

At the end of article the author mentions seeing these characters as some of the most wanted:

• Paper Mario
  • Nick / Captain Rainbow
  • Monster Hunter
  • Lucina
  • Dixie
  • Daisy
  • Waluigi
  • Shulk
http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
It's not aesthetically more like SS Link, it's completely TP Link. As was said before, the colours in SSB4 are just brighter, it has nothing to do with Skyward Sword.

If you put purple food colouring in water, you don't get grape Kool-Aid. Making TP Link brighter doesn't turn him into another Link.

As for Ganondorf, I'm just really hoping that he's actually Ganondorf this time, particularly with Bowser getting changes out of nowhere.
Studying animation this semester and I can say it's more-or-less a combination rather than picking one link - Yes, they got more from the TP appearance, but they also got a bit from SS even if it's only color palette. It's like saying the Mario we see is specifically set to one. It only really works for characters such-as Ike where we know they got absolutely no properties about him from Radiant Dawn.

(If you're wondering how animation chimes in, blending previous designs together.)

Wait what was the point we were along here? Oh right, Ganon. Even if they borrowed more from any other Zelda game that isn't TP for the designs, Ganon would still be TP anyways (possibly a bit from OoT, possibly not) because he wasn't in SS. I don't see what else there is.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I like that Mario's moveset is compromised of a little bit of everything, y'know? A fighting style based on Super Mario 64, the cape from Super Mario World, FLUDD from Super Mario Sunshine...even if those individual elements were only stationed in those specific games, they all come together to create Mario's moveset in Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

• Paper Mario
  • Nick / Captain Rainbow
  • Monster Hunter
  • Lucina
  • Dixie
  • Daisy
  • Waluigi
  • Shulk
I'm going to really say that I'm fairly sure Captain Rainbow isn't that wanted as much as other characters are.
Mewtwo is pretty much worldwide wanted.
Not sure about Lucina. I'd think they'd want someone else.

I like that Mario's moveset is compromised of a little bit of everything, y'know? A fighting style based on Super Mario 64, the cape from Super Mario World, FLUDD from Super Mario Sunshine...even if those individual elements were only stationed in those specific games, they all come together to create Mario's moveset in Super Smash Bros.
It's collective of his whole history, correct. Otherwise, having Mario use his moves from one game would not be truthful to his other games, like they didn't exist.

?????????????

Smash Master
The Cape should make Mario fly and glide, that would be such a cool improvement for Side-B.
If not that, I thought it would be cool if he could do a full "cape spin" with his Side B like in Super Mario World. In SSB, this would make Mario a mobile reflector.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to hope that, since Sakurai is apparently working less on adding newcomers and more on polishing the characters we already have, Ganondorf will probably get some sort of change. We could argue that he could have done that with Brawl, but his priorities were obviously on developing SSE and putting in a majority of the last remaining Nintendo All-Stars....and Snake and Sonic. The fact that even a good amount of the newcomers have underdeveloped techniques and what feel like half-hearted move sets should be a testament to this.

With SSB4, however, it seems that he's polishing things that we never would've expected for him to care about, on top of the things everyone was aware needed fixing. In other words, if Ganondorf is still Falcondorf this time around, there is good reason to be upset because of the changes he gave to characters who didn't even need changes to begin with.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Thinking about what music may be in the Punch Out stage,I know one song has a chance ; The Disco Kid theme.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Studying animation this semester and I can say it's more-or-less a combination rather than picking one link - Yes, they got more from the TP appearance, but they also got a bit from SS even if it's only color palette. It's like saying the Mario we see is specifically set to one. It only really works for characters such-as Ike where we know they got absolutely no properties about him from Radiant Dawn.

(If you're wondering how animation chimes in, blending previous designs together.)
Theres nothing from SS link as said before, he resembles the artwork from TP exactly. Mario stays the same because his design never changes, its static like most cartoon esque characters, sure he can be given new details like his overalls real texture, but like disney characters they hold true to that original design almost 100% of the time. Animation doesnt have anything to do with design and art design in that sense, animation is the method of making those designs move, while keeping them consistent. As an art major i can easily see they based this link fully on TP link, its just a new model within this games engine along with a primary color scheme.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Big The Cat and his Froggy are a no-go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom