• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The most probable characters will be these that are left to be revealed:

-) Mii
-) Pac-Man
-) Palutena
-) Ridley
-) Chrom
-) King K. Rool
-) Dixie Kong
-) Shulk

Any thoughts?

.n_n.

I feel like that roster would be too expected. I mean with brawl there was a handful of characters that I know some of us weren't expecting to ever get in, for me it was R.O.B and Pokemon Trainer as the big ones. Plus what you posted has 2 Donkey Kong Characters which would be terrible. We only need King K.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Most people seem to expect a 3rd FE rep, or for Ike to be cut, but I disagree. Ike has no chance of being cut, he's unique unlike some characters who are already confirmed, and it would be odd for another character to receive his moveset. I also doubt that Sakurai would include so many sword users.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Most people seem to expect a 3rd FE rep, or for Ike to be cut, but I disagree. Ike has no chance of being cut, he's unique unlike some characters who are already confirmed, and it would be odd for another character to receive his moveset. I also doubt that Sakurai would include so many sword users.
See I just thought of this now, but when do you guys think the roster was finalized? If it was finalized right when Kid Icarus came out, then Chrom would have first appeared after the roster was finalized. Wouldn't that give Lyn and Micaiah a better chance then an Awakening Rep?

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
There's only one big problem I have with this roster. The lack of Ike with Chrom being shoehorned in. I explained my reasons many times why Ike should stay, and him being the only one cut, is a disappointment to me. 8/10
The Kanto Trainer is also gone. Therefore. you are wrong.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
See I just thought of this now, but when do you guys think the roster was finalized?
Certainly not when KI:U came out. Probably some time in late 2012.
If it was finalized right when Kid Icarus came out, then Chrom would have first appeared after the roster was finalized. Wouldn't that give Lyn and Micaiah a better chance then an Awakening Rep?
No. That didn't affect Roy. Hell, the Brawl roster was finalized around the same time that PoR was released.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Certainly not when KI:U came out. Probably some time in late 2012.

No. That didn't affect Roy. Hell, the Brawl roster was finalized around the same time that PoR was released.
I understand that it didn't effect Roy, but look what happened to him, he didn't make it to the next game. Also could you give me a date on when we think Brawl's roster was finalized? I don't doubt you but I'm curious.

Dairz

Smash Ace
I understand that it didn't effect Roy, but look what happened to him, he didn't make it to the next game. Also could you give me a date on when we think Brawl's roster was finalized? I don't doubt you but I'm curious.
Well yeah, but Roy was a clone, as was Dr. Mario and Pichu, its not that weird.

Zaxis

Smash Cadet
Heres my six:
* Shulk
* Wonder Red
* Takamaru
* Chibi Robo
* Bubbles
* Dillon

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I feel like that roster would be too expected. I mean with brawl there was a handful of characters that I know some of us weren't expecting to ever get in, for me it was R.O.B and Pokemon Trainer as the big ones. Plus what you posted has 2 Donkey Kong Characters which would be terrible. We only need King K.
If you don´t think WFT and Rosalina are characters out of the curve then I don´t know what characters you are expect to receive in this installment.

.n_n.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Ment 6 unrepresented series newcomers, you know, characters like Isaac and Shulk. :p
****ing ew. We have enough as is. You're crazy.

Shulk, Miis and no more. PLEASE. I don't care about small franchises.

We more or less know (at least) half the roster. I swear to god if we have more than one more new franchise character Ill die.

Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Villager, Mega Man, Pac Man, Miis, and maybe Palutena. If we hae no cuts, I say that leaes us five character slots. DK FE and LoZ will probably get one, and the last two better not go to small franchises.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Ok that's three months after PoR came out. So if it was finalized at the end of 2012 I guess that would have been enough time to select him. I was just curious too see if there was a possibility that Chrom wasn't even considered.

If you don´t think WFT and Rosalina are characters out of the curve then I don´t know what characters you are expect to receive in this installment.

.n_n.
When they announced Rosalina, I wasn't that surprised.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Shulk, Miis, Zael & Calista, Jill Dozer, Chibi Robo, Fossil Fighter

I like Wonder Red and Saki a lot as well.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Ok that's three months after PoR came out. So if it was finalized at the end of 2012 I guess that would have been enough time to select him. I was just curious too see if there was a possibility that Chrom wasn't even considered.
Even if the roster was decided on prior to Awakening's release, I doubt that an Awakening character wouldn't have been a possibility that Sakurai didn't consider.

Anyway, unrepresented series/characters:
1. Saki
2. Isaac
3. Shulk
4. Takamaru
5. Shulk
6. Lloyd
In no particular order.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon

When they announced Rosalina, I wasn't that surprised.
Really maybe for you but most of the people didn't expect her before Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Toad or Paper Mario.
.n_n.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It'd be nice, but no it doesn't. It's never been a major Nintendo franchise
would have to disagree with that. F-Zero is the most classic Nintendo franchise after the original 10, Pikmin, and Animal Crossing.

And whether a franchise needs something, frustratingly enough, seems to always be based on how casually popular it currently is according to Smash fans. Never it's impact in Nintendo's past. That rarely ever seems to be important to Smash fans. But, regardless it is to Sakurai.

We should be basing our logic on the characters themselves rather than their series.
That may be your opinion, but I'd like to get as close to Sakurai's opinion as I can. And he DOES care about how many characters some franchises have. He's added characters partly because of that reason.

I honestly don't think F-Zero "needs" more characters, other than Falcon's return. And this is coming from a Goroh supporter. Heck, it's coming from the guy who made the Goroh thread! :laugh:
I didn't mean it was essential. As you know, the term "need" is used very loosely on this thread. The only time it's taken literally is when it's a character or franchise we don't agree should have another character.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This is why I have lost some hope in characters like Dixie Kong or Black Shadow.
I've always viewed those two as automatic semi-clones, I don't know about everyone else. That being said I cant see Sakurai adding any more clones this time around, given the uniqueness of every newcomer shown thus far.
Which also gives me more hope in K. Rool, since he is the most unique DK option.
I still feel newcomer semi-clones can, and are failry likely to, happen.

Alright, so.. Topic, topic, topic...
How do you think Dixie's chances fare after not being revealed yesterday?
I personally think they decreased slightly.
Dixie still has a reasonably good chance. That said, K. Rool was always more likelier than her.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Really maybe for you but most of the people didn't expect her before Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Toad or Paper Mario.
.n_n.
I'm still utterly shocked that Paper Mario was not the newcomer. But, not shocked Rosalina got in before any of the other characters you mentioned.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
would have to disagree with that.
On what basis? It's received about a half dozen games, some of which are Japan-only and anime-based, and none in the last ten years, only the SNES one was a notable commercial success... its vocal fanbase is as much from Smash as the series itself (probably moreso) and per game its average install base is smaller than any other playable series in Smash, bar perhaps Mother, which in the majority of cases didn't see worldwide release.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I still feel newcomer semi-clones can, and are failry likely to, happen.
Dixie Kong & Samurai Goroh will most likely get in imo. And obviously they will be semi-clones. And of course there's that tiny little chance we could see Toon Zelda.

Dixie still has a reasonably good chance. That said, K. Rool was always more likelier than her.
I lean more towards Dixie being the more likely choice. Being a Kong, a semi-clone (which takes less time), and is important enough of a protagonist to be prioritized before the villain imo. Like if Sonic & Tails were in the roster and there was gonna be a third Sonic character, I would pick Knuckles. Sure he's not as recurring and "Important" as Eggman, but it would still make sense to have that protagonist first.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
On what basis? It's received about a half dozen games, some of which are Japan-only and anime-based, and none in the last ten years, only the SNES one was a notable commercial success... its vocal fanbase is as much from Smash as the series itself (probably moreso) and per game its average install base is smaller than any other playable series in Smash, bar perhaps Mother, which in the majority of cases didn't see worldwide release.
I think you might be confusing the term "classic" with the term "relevant" or "popular among casuals". I'd argue that Punch-Out's only major success was the NES installment and maybe the Wii one did pretty good. But, that was half of how long ago the last F-Zero was. So what exactly is the official amount of years before Sakurai deems something unimportant to Nintendo's history? And what basis do you have for saying this classic franchise shouldn't be acknowledged? Kid Icarus shouldn't have been acknowledged by that logic. And heck, Sakurai made a whole game out of that.

And if you're maybe gonna argue that having a more recent installment is what is important for lesser franchise like Kid Icarus or F-Zero to get another character, why even bring up it's sales numbers? If you're gonna ramble about sales numbers than turn around and say Palutena should get in despite that the sales for the Kid Icarus franchise are less than the franchise of F-Zero as a whole then are the sales even relevant? Not to mention I recall that a lot of people keep pestering Nintendo for a new F-Zero.

And if you're just gonna base it's reputation on sales numbers and casual reception rather than it's legacy of being a "classic" franchise...

(also what is "install base"?)

Err? Can't Paper Mario represent his own spinoff series?
He's Mario. So no.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
would have to disagree with that. F-Zero is the most classic Nintendo franchise after the original 10, Pikmin, and Animal Crossing.
This sounds about as provable as "The Big Eight"

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What is that?
Long ago, people would use "The Big Eight" in Junior V Toad debates. The Theory was that Nintendo's Mario franchise had a big eight. (The cast of Mario Kart 64) And that this group is somehow exedingly important, and they would use it to argue thats why Toad should get in. Rosalina obiously ripped the big eight up. It's just a fan grouping, like what you've just talked about.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Long ago, people would use "The Big Eight" in Junior V Toad debates. The Theory was that Nintendo's Mario franchise had a big eight. (The cast of Mario Kart 64) And that this group is somehow exedingly important, and they would use it to argue thats why Toad should get in. Rosalina obiously ripped the big eight up. It's just a fan grouping, like what you've just talked about.
Giving that last franchise is certainly one of many good reasons to add Samurai Goroh. But, it's one of the smaller ones.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
^ What even?
Super Mario is different from Paper Mario. Super Mario consists of all of the side scrolls, the various Mario and Luigi's , and the Parties/Sports games. Paper Mario doesn't appear in any of those. He only appears in games named "Paper Mario" I mean Wario and Yoshi both have there own labels at this point. I mean Baby Mario is in every Yoshi game. Personally I feel like you could give Paper his own. And its different then Toon Link because the games are titled "Zelda" and non "Toon Link" or something like that. Paper Mario is the name on every game he is in, unlike Wario and Yoshi.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Super Mario is different from Paper Mario. Super Mario consists of all of the side scrolls, the various Mario and Luigi's , and the Parties/Sports games. Paper Mario doesn't appear in any of those. He only appears in games named "Paper Mario"
You mean like this guy?: :drmario:

He isn't. The Paper Mario universe is an entirely different setting with different mechanics and gameplay. He wouldn't be representing the Super Mario franchise very well.
So...that means Viridi isn't a Kid Icarus character then? Because it's different mechanics and gameplay. (and yes, Paper Mario actually is the same setting in as many games as it isn't.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Sure, it has happened before, and that doesn't mean it can't happen again. I just think this time around, it'd be far more sensible to include another Mario clone as a rep for the series he's known for, rather than slapping the Mushroom tag on him and calling him a Super Mario representative. Especially considering how prominent the Paper Mario series has become.

EDIT: We also can't forget the fact that Dr. Mario was one of the rushed-in additions. The developers could've just not wanted to bother themselves with the task of making his theme and tag icon. Just tossing him in with the rest of the Super Mario cast was likely a way to save time.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

So...that means Viridi isn't a Kid Icarus character then? Because it's different mechanics and gameplay. (and yes, Paper Mario actually is the same setting in as many games as it isn't.)

Ok sure, Dr. Mario didn't get the label, but he was also a clone that later on got removed from the Smash Series. I am just saying it is possible for Paper Mario to get his own series label.

Also, Paper Mario wouldn't be a clone. I think he would play more like Game and Watch and less like Mario.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Ok sure, Dr. Mario didn't get the label, but he was also a clone that later on got removed from the Smash Series. I am just saying it is possible for Paper Mario to get his own series label.

Also, Paper Mario wouldn't be a clone. I think he would play more like Game and Watch and less like Mario.
That is actually the predominant reason I find Paper Mario entirely unlikely. You utilize the likeness of Mario, but he implements what made Game and Watch unique. I mean, two 2-D characters on the roster? I am not insinuating that it is impossible, but that is the prominent aspect of both characters design that would get either considered in the first place and Mr. Watch already satisfies that niche.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
That is actually the predominant reason I find Paper Mario entirely unlikely. You utilize the likeness of Mario, but he implements what made Game and Watch unique. I mean, two 2-D characters on the roster? I am not insinuating that it is impossible, but that is the prominent aspect of both characters design that would get either considered in the first place and Mr. Watch already satisfies that niche.
Yeah, I used to think he had a chance too, but Rosalina alone kills his chances, even though he can be considered his own series.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
My six new series characters would be

1. Dillon
  2. Wonder Red
  3. Chibi Robo
  4. Shulk
  5. Takamaru
  6. Isaac
Each of them debuted on different system tripping Nintendo greatly. Honorable mentions include Lip, Saki and Mii.

When the trailer started, I was excited for Little Mac, but there was a tiny voice in my head thinking Sakurai was trolling and it was a Mii wearing Mac's gloves and track suit. Good thing that tiny voice was wrong.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
My six new series characters would be....
1. Isaac
2. Wonder Red

I cannot, in good conscience, list another 4. In fact, I was going to list Shulk and Takamaru as they are requested frequently, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom