• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
The only good thing that would come out of Tingle is the reaction of everybody if he was made playable. Most people hate him.

That's doesn't mean he should be added, though. It's not worth taking up time and resources for what is basically a troll character. Waluigi would be a better one anyway.

Last edited:

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
The only good thing that would come out of Tingle is the reaction of everybody if he was made playable. Most people hate him.

That's doesn't mean he should be added, though. It's not worth taking up time and resources for what is basically a troll character. Waluigi would be a better one anyway.
Well, from what I can tell, Waluigi is higher in the ranks than Tingle in Japan (most likely in America as well), so it'd be no surprised if Waluigi were to graduate from Assist Trophy status before him.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
OK, since were on the topic of new franchise, since we already have 4 new series, if there were only six more new series newcomers left, who would you honestly choose?

Here's mine:
1. Prince Sable
2. Shulk
3. Takamaru
4. Pac-Man
5. Dr. Kawashima
6. Mii

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I was thinking about Pac-Man yesterday.

People say he wouldn't be added just because of Namco and instead on his own merits, but really, would you have considered him for Smash before finding out about Namco's involvement?

Pac-Man was very iconic back in Brawl's days and could've gotten in on his own merits, but not may people thought of him compared to Smash 4.

What this means is that people are thinking Pac-Man has a higher chance of making it in Smash because of Namco, even if they don't realize it and think Pac-Man's chances have nothing to do with any special treatment.

-----

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Only new franchises huh?
1. Isaac
2. Mach Rider
3. Takamaru
4. Shulk

Aaaand nobody else is worth it for me.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
There are so many better choices for Zelda than a map salesman.
I can think of maybe 2 Zelda characters who could possibly be on Tingle's level(Ghirahim and that ninja-who-shall-not-be-named), and neither of them have their own sub-series.

I don't really give a damn about Zelda newcomers, but even I can see that Tingle has a lot going for him.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
This was posted in another thread:

As you all were saying before, the Boxing Ring Stage is being changed to represent Punch-Out!! instead of Smash. You know what that means? Stages aren't final and can be used to intro a character.

I can't help but think that Ridley flying in from one of the holes in Pyropshere ready to fight would be a good opening for his gameplay trailer.
Just thought that was interesting.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Tingle is the best possible Zelda newcomer.
Just putting that out there. He is more iconic than Ghirahim, Impa, Midna, whoever you wanna throw out there.
Like it or not, he's a Nintendo icon.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
OK, since were on the topic of new franchise, since we already have 4 new series, if there were only six more new series newcomers left, who would you honestly choose?

Here's mine:
1. Prince Sable
2. Shulk
3. Takamaru
4. Pac-Man
5. Dr. Kawashima
6. Mii
In no particular order:
  • Shulk
  • Takamaru
  • Mach Rider
  • Isaac
  • Wonder Red
  • Chibi-Robo

Staarih

Smash Master
Six new series newcomers? I'd say...

- Isaac (Golden Sun)
- Shulk (Xenoblade)
- Takamaru (Nazo no Murasame-jō)
- Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
- Sandbag (Smash series :upsidedown:)

...well, maybe the first four at least. Couldn't think of any else. My most wanted newcomers are from already represented series though.

Last edited:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I was thinking about Pac-Man yesterday.

People say he wouldn't be added just because of Namco and instead on his own merits, but really, would you have considered him for Smash before finding out about Namco's involvement?

Pac-Man was very iconic back in Brawl's days and could've gotten in on his own merits, but not may people thought of him compared to Smash 4.

What this means is that people are thinking Pac-Man has a higher chance of making it in Smash because of Namco, even if they don't realize it and think Pac-Man's chances have nothing to do with any special treatment.

-----
I'm very certain people only bring up Pac-Man as a likely and popular character because of Namco's involvement. Otherwise, he'd probably be on the same level as Rayman and Bomber Man in Smash popularity and likeliness.

And hey, if Sakurai is just trolling about no special treatment for Namco, he probably is likely.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
For new series newcomers if I had to pick six:

1. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
2. Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
3. Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends With You)
4. Amaterasu (Okami)
5. Chrono (Chrono Trigger)
6. Shulk (Xenoblade)

While I do realize that only Shulk has a very good chance, that would be my new six series characters wish list.

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
About this boxing ring speculation made me think...about that pilotwing stage...Mii related? A new char representing Pilot Wings?

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

Here's mine:
1. Prince Sable
2. Shulk
3. Takamaru
4. Pac-Man
5. Dr. Kawashima
6. Mii
I would go with:
1. Shulk
2. Pac-Man
3.Takamaru
4. Dillon
5. Mech Rider
6. Wonder Red

I included Dillion because I feel like he's the perfect rep for the 3DS. He is a 3DS exclusive, and his game has been received very well in NA. I personally think he has a slight chance. In fact, i'm very surprised he hasn't been on anyone's list.

ALSO, everyone, just because a certain stage was included does not necessarily mean a character will come with it. How can I back this up? It's easy:

HANNENBOW. PICTOCHAT.

Last edited:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
About this boxing ring speculation made me think...about that pilotwing stage...Mii related? A new char representing Pilot Wings?
I'd much rather have a Pilotwing character like Goose over a damn Mii.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
1. DeMille
2. Clavat
3. Furil & Kain
4. Rhythm Heaven Girl
5. Flipnote Frog
6. Isaac
So basically a bunch of obscure no-names and Isaac too.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
6 new characters from new series added to Smash to be playable:

-) Takamaru (Nazo no Murasame-jō).
-) Donbe and Hikari (Shin Onigashima).
-) Harry (Teleroboxer).
-) Shulk (Xenoblade).
-) Dillon (Dillon´s Rolling Western).
-) Wonder Red (Wonderful 101).

.n_n.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Of course out of the characters I do want, here are my thoughts of them actually being in:

High:
Palutena
Mewtwo

Medium:
King K Rool
Robin/Lucina

Maybe, but probably not:
Micaiah
Roy
Professor Layton
Tom Nook
Paper Mario

No Chance:
Phoenix Wright
Chrono
Amaterasu
Neku Sakuraba
Hatsune Miku
Elincia

Dead:
Ashley

Last edited:

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
6 New Series Characters?

1. Professor Layton (Professor Layton Series)
2. Lip (Panel de Pon)
3. Isaac (Golden Sun)
4. Elite Beat Agent Team (Elite Beat Agents)
5. Chibi-robo (Chibi-robo Series)
6. Maxwell (Scribblenauts)

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

Here's mine:
1. Prince Sable
2. Shulk
3. Takamaru
4. Pac-Man
5. Dr. Kawashima
6. Mii
1. Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
2. Isaac (Golden Sun)
3. Mii (Wii)
4. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
5. Grovyle (PMD2). Spinoff series count as new series, right? :p

6. Hard to choose. Tied between Andy (Wars), Dillon (Rolling Western), Cubivore (Cubivore), Alexandra (Eternal Darkness), Dr. Kawashima (assuming they could make him unique and fun), Balloon Fighter, Mike Jones, Takamaru, Banjo & Kazooie, Professor Layton, Rayman, and a Rythim Heaven character.

And is anyone else gonna comment on my Pac-Man thoughts on this page?

----

Last edited:

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
6 new series seems a bit too much, since that would mean 10 new series, and we stil need space to at least 4 or 5 more newcomers from olders series as well, but okay them, for me in likeliness right now:

1- Mii (don't care for it, but it's certain by now)
2- Pac-man (same as mii)
3- Takamaru (very likely retro)
4- Duck Hunt Dog (both likely, iconical and wtf)
5- Chibi-Robo (has an untapped potential)
6- Either Isaac, Shulk or Dillon

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I can think of maybe 2 Zelda characters who could possibly be on Tingle's level(Ghirahim and that ninja-who-shall-not-be-named), and neither of them have their own sub-series.

I don't really give a damn about Zelda newcomers, but even I can see that Tingle has a lot going for him.
Waluigi is featured in the Mario spin off series... It doesn't necessarily help his chances. Sakurai seems to be looking at the mainstream games.

Anyways, New series?
  • Mii
  • Isaac
  • Shulk
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Dillon
  • Wonder Red

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Waluigi is featured in the Mario spin off series... It doesn't necessarily help his chances. Sakurai seems to be looking at the mainstream games.
Tingle and Waluigi's situations are completely different. Unless there's some Mario spinoff called "Waluigi Kart" or "Super Waluigi RPG," then that comparison is moot.

It's not jsut that Tingle shows up in Zelda spinoffs. It's that he has 3 GAMES THAT HE STARS IN. And it's not like those are his only appearances, as he's appeared in several "main" Zelda games.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This would kill all my hype for the game

There are so many better choices for Zelda than a map salesman.
Like a certain mask salesman. :troll:

1. Takamaru
  2. Lip
  3. Pac-Man
Not expecting any more new series reps, we still need King K. Rool and Ridley first. While I'm hoping for Krystal as well, if we don't get her, I could see Isaac maybe.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
And we need a new Kid Icarus rep...cof Hades cof

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Tingle is the best possible Zelda newcomer.
Just putting that out there. He is more iconic than Ghirahim, Impa, Midna, whoever you wanna throw out there.
Like it or not, he's a Nintendo icon.
I will never understand the hatred for him. I guess most people in the West just don't like creepy, red-nosed, pedophile-esque elf men.
I think he's a very fun character and I agree with him being the most sensible Zelda newcomer. ...Or maybe even a Tingle rep!

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
The most probable characters will be these that are left to be revealed:

-) Mii
-) Pac-Man
-) Palutena
-) Ridley
-) Chrom
-) King K. Rool
-) Dixie Kong
-) Shulk

Any thoughts?

.n_n.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
1.Ridley
2. K Rool
3. Tingle
4. Krystal
5. Palutena
6. Samurai Goroh

I would be real surprised if we got Shulk.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I will never understand the hatred for him. I guess most people in the West just don't like creepy, red-nosed, pedophile-esque elf men.
I think he's a very fun character and I agree with him being the most sensible Zelda newcomer. ...Or maybe even a Tingle rep!
People just take things differently than others. For instance, I'm neutral towards Tingle, I really like Waluigi, but I think Bowser Jr. is an annoying **** who should have never existed. Whereas others hate Tingle, think Waluigi is annoying, and love Bowser Jr for god knows what reason.

There's also cultural barriers and things to consider, Americans are so easily offended by things like "pedophile-esque" elf men, while Japan loves that stuff.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Here's mine:
1. Prince Sable
2. Shulk
3. Takamaru
4. Pac-Man
5. Dr. Kawashima
6. Mii
Six new franchise characters? As in not related to any other series?

1. Duck Hunt Dog
2. Isaac
3. Andy/Sami
4. Dillon
5. Pac-Man
6. Lip

Probably this. Not necessarily in that order.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
People just take things differently than others. For instance, I'm neutral towards Tingle, I really like Waluigi, but I think Bowser Jr. is an annoying **** who should have never existed. Whereas others hate Tingle, think Waluigi is annoying, and love Bowser Jr for god knows what reason.

There's also cultural barriers and things to consider, Americans are so easily offended by things like "poedophile-esque" elf men, while Japan loves that stuff.
It interests me greatly to see how opinions can differ by culture collectively than just through an individual's personal tastes. There are quite a few characters that people in Japan are rooting for in Smash Bros. 4, whilst in other areas, they are scoffed at or just not cared for. Ridley and Little Mac are good examples of this. To see Little Mac make the cut with not that big of a following in Japan (the place where most of the roster picks are determined), makes Ridley seem far more likely to me (I never really saw him as a "shoe-in", nor cared for the idea of him not making it in).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The most probable characters will be these that are left to be revealed:

-) Mii
-) Pac-Man
-) Palutena
-) Ridley
-) Chrom
-) King K. Rool
-) Dixie Kong
-) Shulk

Any thoughts?

.n_n.
Sounds likely to me.

Not terribly exciting, but very likely.

Huh. Another person who dislikes Bowser Jr! I knew I couldn't be the only one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom