• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Yes, but Mother 3 was intended to be released on the SNES and the 64, and Sakurai wanted to include him since Melee, but could not.
So he is an exception. And Mr. Game & Watch is a retro character, and he represents an entire console rather than a game.

Except for Lucas, Handheld characters don't get in.
But Mother 3 wasn't released on a home console, it may have been planned to at some point, but it wasn't, so that means nothing. I'm not trying to sound rude, but unless Sakurai has said 'Yeah, handheld characters don't get in Smash," your last point is just yet another 'rule' that fans make up.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm pretty sure the reason we don't have any handheld exclusive characters in Smash is because we don't really have all that many handheld exclusive characters.

Even someone like Lucas isn't, while he and his game were handheld exclusive, the other two games in the series are both console exclusive.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
But Mother 3 wasn't released on a home console, it may have been planned to at some point, but it wasn't, so that means nothing. I'm not trying to sound rude, but unless Sakurai has said 'Yeah, handheld characters don't get in Smash," your last point is just yet another 'rule' that fans make up.
Yeah, but I'm saying he's special. Look, it doesn't matter. But I still find handheld-bound characters very unlikely.

One day, I'll have to play Xenoblade. It sounds all kinds of gewd.
I heard I could retire with the amount of money I'd have to spend to buy that game.

?????????????

Smash Master
On the topic of handheld exclusive characters...............

What about Pokemon? I mean, yeah, there's console games...but they're all spin-off.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Yeah, but I'm saying he's special. Look, it doesn't matter. But I still find handheld-bound characters very unlikely.

I heard I could retire with the amount of money I'd have to spend to buy that game.
It's not that they're unlikely, but as I said, who exactly is there to chose other than obvious examples like Isaac? Also, Pokemon since all the console games are spin-offs. Ninja'd on Pokemon.

I'm pretty sure Xenoblade can't be more expensive than an original copy of EarthBound. :troll:

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Starfy actually looked like he had a lot going for him, until his flow of games abruptly ended.

I'd say Layton and Wright are stand-out handhelds, but both are 3rd party. Layton's grown on me a lot though; would not mind him in SSB.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Guess I'll put up my new roster.
Sorry, but I don't find a third FE character as likely as most people do, although I wouldn't be opposed to having Chrom.

Attachments

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Oh my god, guys.

I can't believe this slipped my mind until just now, but Sakurai said that Mac's standard B turns into an insta KO when his meter fills up.

KIRBY.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh my god, guys.

I can't believe this slipped my mind until just now, but Sakurai said that Mac's standard B turns into an insta KO when his meter fills up.

KIRBY.
That is assuming that his neutral B is the KO move.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"His biggest feature is his Power Meter. When this gets charged up, his standard special move changes! It turns into a one-hit-K.O. uppercut.""
I see....

Kirby be hard Mac counter!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Mac looks like he'll generally struggle with long range opponents, as his approach options look limited to whatever his dash move is. Plus being far away from him limits his charge system, as it looks like he has to be stationary to create the charge. If you keep Mac moving, you limit his offense.

He'll also probably be really light as well, and will struggle in the air.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
"His biggest feature is his Power Meter. When this gets charged up, his standard special move changes! It turns into a one-hit-K.O. uppercut.""
Is it assured that Kirby would copy the Power Meter mechanic itself, in addition to the (non-charged) Neutral B?

It is either that Kirby merely inherits the non-charged neutral, or that Kirby also inherits the Power Meter mechanic (which would thereby grant him the KO ability). It's hard to say which might apply.

I do look forward to seeing Kirby sport that Mac 'do, though (and maybe with tiny adorable green boxing gloves).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I feel that Little Mac's reveal helps Ridley's chances. I mean Sakurai trolled us into thinking the Punch-Out stage was just a normal Smash stage, so who's to say he's not trolling us into thinking Ridley's a stage hazard when he's actually playable?
I wish Sakurai is trolling us by making us think Toad is deconfirmed when he is really playable all along. :dizzy:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Is it assured that Kirby would copy the Power Meter mechanic itself, in addition to the (non-charged) Neutral B?

It is either that Kirby merely inherits the non-charged neutral, or that Kirby also inherits the Power Meter mechanic (which would thereby grant him the KO ability). It's hard to say which might apply.

I do look forward to seeing Kirby sport that Mac 'do, though (and maybe with tiny adorable green boxing gloves).
This is what I'm assuming, Kirby will get the bar and everything. It's going to be insane if Kirby does take the whole thing.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
On the other hand, I'd imagine that Mac would be quite easily able to knock Kirby's Mac Hat right off him. ;)
The way it looks, Mac's insane speed and power are offset by his piss-poor air ability, including his recovery. Kirby can ****ing fly and potentially use Mac's OHKO.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The way it looks, Mac's insane speed and power are offset by his piss-poor air ability, including his recovery. Kirby can ****ing fly and potentially use Mac's OHKO.
That is a rather notable concern. This might actually support the notion of Kirby NOT gaining the Power Meter, since he might otherwise be overpowered.

Kirby's neutral copies aren't supposed to give him a huge advantage anyway, so Kirby gaining a non-charged Mac special might be for the best.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
He could gain Flare Blade in Melee, which is a chargable OHKO move.

I don't think Star Uppercut is any different.

D

Deleted member

Completely unrelated to Little Mac, yet seeing Little Mac makes me want Wrestler even more for some reason.

EDIT: Sadly, I cannot post the POSE FOR THE FANS gif here.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I feel that Little Mac's reveal helps Ridley's chances. I mean Sakurai trolled us into thinking the Punch-Out stage was just a normal Smash stage, so who's to say he's not trolling us into thinking Ridley's a stage hazard when he's actually playable?
Not to mention it shows that Sakurai takes overseas popularity seriously. Little Mac and Ridley are the two characters who are incredibly wanted over here, but not in Japan.

Little Mac has helped Ridley quite a bit.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not to mention it shows that Sakurai takes overseas popularity seriously. Little Mac and Ridley are the two characters who are incredibly wanted over here, but not in Japan.

Little Mac has helped Ridley quite a bit.
Here's hoping.

And hey more Pyrosphere footage without a dragon!

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm just really glad we got another popular character...for a moment I had the horrible feeling Megaman was going to be the only one. Even more glad that he actually looks like a ton of fun to play as.

(also yessss. Little Mac was the one of the Smashboards approved Newcomers I genuinely liked)

I wonder if grabs will be able to interrupt that super charged KO punch...?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm just really glad we got another popular character...for a moment I had the horrible feeling Megaman was going to be the only one. Even more glad that he actually looks like a ton of fun to play as.

(also yessss. Little Mac was the one of the Smashboards approved Newcomers I genuinely liked)

I wonder if grabs will be able to interrupt that super charged KO punch...?
With a move that OP I imagine a lot of things will. Though I presume it takes a while to charge, so it's best to just evade him.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Mac looks like he'll generally struggle with long range opponents, as his approach options look limited to whatever his dash move is. Plus being far away from him limits his charge system, as it looks like he has to be stationary to create the charge. If you keep Mac moving, you limit his offense.

He'll also probably be really light as well, and will struggle in the air.
Actually, look at this:
It goes over super armor and whatnot; not a perfect analysis by any means, but it's pretty good.

And this here is of significant interest.

So Mac has the ability to literally jump past projectiles and hit with a good set-up move, is one of the fastest characters in the game (around Falcon speed if what we've approximately computed is right), and has super armor? I may be wrong, be he actually looks like an amazing counter to projectile users (/abusers).

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
-image removed-

Quack...

(Sorry, I had to. You'll never see me again.)

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Gotta admit, that Little Mac is a great addition. He reminds me of a character that I use in Street Fighter. Maybe he'll be one of my sub-mains in this game.

Even better, East vs West.
Personally I think that Mac helps Takamaru's chances a lot.
Little Mac being in has no effect on Takamaru's chances.

I think Chrom would offer more than just being Awakening incarnate, personally. A weapon-switch stance system is honestly something I can see Sakurai doing, and it fits the series extremely well.

Notably, the five newcomers received thus far "play like their games."

• Villager uses random items that he may pick up in town.
  • Wii Fit Trainer does yoga.
  • Mega Man has the Robot Master abilities.
  • Rosalina plays similar to Galaxy as a whole, using her wand as the remote, sort of, as well as the Luma as the co-op Luma was used in Galaxy 2.
  • Little Mac playing, well, true to his boxing roots, and having a power meter similar to Super Punch-Out!!
With this in mind, I feel that seeing Chrom "play like Fire Emblem" through representing the tactical aspect of weapon choice is a good way to go. Plus, we don't have a true stance character to speak of, at the moment.
Stance-based system, eh?

I wish Sakurai is trolling us by making us think Toad is deconfirmed when he is really playable all along. :dizzy:
Don't get your hopes up!:p

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I wouldn't quickly jump to Little Mac benefiting Ridley. It would be reasonable to interpret it as, "the West will be pleased enough with Little Mac to avoid Ridley." I figured we already had enough evidence to say that the West was taken deeply into consideration. I don't really think the two characters affect each other's chances, though. They were both behemoths in their own right.

I do, however, think Little Mac's confirmation hurts the chance for a different "retro" rep (even though Punch-Out!! isn't so retro anymore).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think Little Mac has any effect on Ridley's chances all.

By the way, we got 5 newcomers, 4 of which are from new series. I'm likely grasping at straws here, but does it possibly raise the chances of more unrepresented series getting playable characters?

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I don't think Little Mac has any effect on Ridley's chances all.

By the way, we got 5 newcomers, 4 of which are from new series. I'm likely grasping at straws here, but does it possibly raise the chances of more unrepresented series getting playable characters?
I'd think the exact opposite; I'd think that having 4 new series being represented means we're running out of the threshold for what constitutes a proper quantity of new series coming in (if there is such a thing [I'd think there is.])

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Oh and I forgot to say this, but Little Mac 'n' Cheese is now part of your Smash Bros Diet, along with Mega Mango, the Vinegar, Wheat Fish Trainer and Rosy Lime!

Groose

Smash Champion
So I'm guessing the next character reveal will be either Palutena/Hades or Chrom/Lucina.
What I find integral to which character we get is the date of the reveal. Nintendo Directs usually run every two months, so we should receive an April Direct, but I'm not so certain we'll be seeing a new character there. We'll definitely be gettig at least one newcomer announcement in the month of June, though. If the next newcomer is in June, I fully expect we get our third member of the "Super Six;" a Direct in April, however, may be used for a more surprising character along the lines of Rosalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom