• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I wonder how many stages are hinting at new characters. So far we've got the Galaxy stage for Rosalina and the boxing ring for Little Mac. Other potential stages that can go along with a newcomer are Pyrosphere for Ridley, Palutena's Temple for Palutena, Arena Ferox for Chrom, and Pilotwings/Find Mii for Mii.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't know what you're talking about, plastic movie prop Bowser was the sexiest Bowser ever conceived. Personally speaking, I'm probably in the minority that loved how Bowser was in Brawl, feral and menacing. He looks great in 4, I just hope he still has that roar...
I'm not a fan of the Movie Monster sounds, actually. I hope he has his Galaxy voice to suit his new look.

As if Smash 4 couldn't get more homoerotic. GHIRAHIM THRUSTS IN!
"Ghirahim Plunges Into Battle!"

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Okay heres my new roster:

Most Likely Design Roster.jpg

Changes:
  • Trying a new design, with the main characters in the center and it builds outward. Retros/Mii have a row, so do the third parties.
  • Updated images
  • Put PKMN Trainer back in for Charizard.
  • Vaati as the Zelda Newcomer
  • Diddy Kong for Diddy/Dixie combo, although i do consider the latter possible
What do you all think? Feel free to comment

UltimateWario

Smash Master
What do you all think? Feel free to comment
I'd have a beer with this roster.

Though I don't particularly support Vaati (nor do I find him even remotely likely), he would be cool to play. Solid choices all around.

10/10. Can't find a gripe, like, at all. OOH, NEVERMIND, it has Shulk instead of Isaac. Would prefer Isaac, but it wouldn't be a huge loss.

So like, I dunno. 9.7? Still the best damn roster I've seen.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So....

Here's an interesting question for you all.

Why do you think Little Mac was picked?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm not a fan of the Movie Monster sounds, actually. I hope he has his Galaxy voice to suit his new look.
Wouldn't a nice compromise of slightly more cartoonish sounding, yet still menacing roars work?

I guess the main reason I liked him in Brawl is because it reminded me of how he was back before he became a joke of a villain. He was actually pretty damned menacing in Super Mario World, and back with even the original SMB, I had the imagination to fill in the blanks and make him more threatening than he was.

Hell, he wasn't much of a joke in Super Mario 64 either, that damned laugh...

Might as well post this too since I finished it:

My conversion to Morbid Mactruism was just in time, I'm actually growing fond of him after seeing him in action. Makes me feel better about Chrom too actually.

Gonna stick to my guns on Miis though, all the way to the bitter end.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So....

Personally?

Western demand. He's a fairly big deal within Nintendo's lore, though not much of one outside, as many people will likely just remember him as "that guy from that game I played when I was little", if at all. I think he was put in to please the fans, not to satisfy any sort of Punch Out!! "deservingness" quota, though I do think Punch Out!! deserves to be represented.

Sakurai is well aware of what us Westerners want, and likely realizes that we are the bigger demographic. While we won't be catered to over the Japanese fanbase, I do think that there is a limit to which the Japanese fanbase can influence the game against the wills of this one.

"Ghirahim ****ing sashays into the room!"

Tell me, what other Zelda Newcomer would be this much fun?
Ze Groosenator.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Personally?

Demand.
More specifically, western demand.

Basically I'm trying to say that western demand is a thing.

So, do you think that characters with mainly western fanbases (such as Ridley or Isaac) have more of a chance now?

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
More specifically, western demand.

Basically I'm trying to say that western demand is a thing.

So, do you think that characters with mainly western fanbases (such as Ridley or Isaac) have more of a chance now?
I don't think their chances have changed, nothing more but nothing less. I've always taken western demand into account, and now we know Sakurai (probably) does.

?????????????

Smash Master
When Sakurai introduced Wii Fit Trainer, didn't he say he had received character requests from "all over the world"? I think he's taking global demands seriously.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Wouldn't a nice compromise of slightly more cartoonish sounding, yet still menacing roars work?

I guess the main reason I liked him in Brawl is because it reminded me of how he was back before he became a joke of a villain. He was actually pretty damned menacing in Super Mario World, and back with even the original SMB, I had the imagination to fill in the blanks and make him more threatening than he was.
Hell, he wasn't much of a joke in Super Mario 64 either, that damned laugh...
Actually, he was very awesome and menacing in Super Mario Galaxy, at least the first one. I think using that voice with a more serious tone is perfect.

Also, your roster's good.

-gif removed-
Dammit! They removed it too fast for me to say "gif removed"!

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So....

I honestly find myself agreeing with S. Jones' post about Mac potentially being one of, if not the retro character of the game. Sure, he looks like his Wii version, since it's his sharpest model and isn't uncanny valley-esque like a few of the older ones, but his power-up mechanic seems to be taken more from Super Punch-Out!!, and there's that arcade machine as well. Then, there's always that, while Punch Out!! Wii does exist, Mac is definitely most famous for his retro appearances, like Mega Man.

Otherwise, I think his fan demand put him on Sakurai's radar, if he wasn't there already due to his AT appearance; Sakurai then put him in the game after seeing potential in the guy.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't know about Isaac, but Ridley definitely. I just have this feeling that Isaac would be a...strange choice. I'd like to see him, but I just for some reason don't think he's getting in.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I don't know about Isaac, but Ridley definitely. I just have this feeling that Isaac would be a...strange choice. I'd like to see him, but I just for some reason don't think he's getting in.
Much as I love my Golden Boy...

I know the Backroom will handle him better than Sakurai likely would, at least in the eyes of a competitive game. I'd like to let him stay in Project M while getting more "big" (lol) characters in Smash 4.

Please don't hit me, Golden Sun fans, I still love the series.

Last edited:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I have a friend who will buy a 3DS JUST for Isaac in Smash. Golden Sun is a great series that deserves a rep in Smash, and a new game on the 3DS.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Punch-Out!! is a serious powerhouse of a game. A LOT of people have heard about it, and it holds nostalgia for a lot of NES players. We don't have a boxer, so thats a plus.

Mac was probably picked for demand, he does have a lot of popularity, here in the west and in the east. Also, his AT status in Brawl probably had Sakurai, at the very least, consider him as playable.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah whats up with that, it used to not be a problem..
They're afraid it will derail the thread, apparently. Though I'd rather not discuss it here.

I honestly find myself agreeing with S. Jones' post about Mac potentially being one of, if not the retro character of the game. Sure, he looks like his Wii version, since it's his sharpest model and isn't uncanny valley-esque like a few of the older ones, but his power-up mechanic seems to be taken more from Super Punch-Out!!, and there's that arcade machine as well. Then, there's always that, while Punch Out!! Wii does exist, Mac is definitely most famous for his retro appearances, like Mega Man.

Otherwise, I think his fan demand put him on Sakurai's radar, if he wasn't there already due to his AT appearance; Sakurai then put him in the game after seeing potential in the guy.
I never looked at it that way. Takamaru's chances lowered, then?

Much as I love my Golden Boy...
I know the Backroom will handle him better than Sakurai likely would, at least in the eyes of a competitive game. I'd like to let him stay in Project M while getting more "big" (lol) characters in Smash 4.
I honestly think Isaac is a great choice that won't get considered because all his games are handheld.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I feel that Little Mac's reveal helps Ridley's chances. I mean Sakurai trolled us into thinking the Punch-Out stage was just a normal Smash stage, so who's to say he's not trolling us into thinking Ridley's a stage hazard when he's actually playable?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I feel that Little Mac's reveal helps Ridley's chances. I mean Sakurai trolled us into thinking the Punch-Out stage was just a normal Smash stage, so who's to say he's not trolling us into thinking Ridley's a stage hazard when he's actually playable?
This is my thinking, exactly.

I never would've thought in a million years that Little Mac, of all characters, would help Ridley's chances so much.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Well of course he's taking inspiration from his older games, it's just the same as Mario still using his cape from Super Mario World, or how Peach can float despite the fact that she hadn't done it in years by the time Melee came out, or even how Toon Link has a colour swap referencing the older style of Link.

He just really isn't retro anymore because of his Wii game, if everyone considers Pit not a retro anymore, how is Mac not in the same situation? Besides, Sakurai said that he picks retros because he likes to revive them, while Little Mac has no need for that at all. We can still fully expect an actual retro, probably Takamaru.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would just like to say that people are underestimating Shulk. Now that Xenoblade has that puzzle thingy, and was brought up directly by Iwata, I think it's fair to say that X is a big game for Nintendo. Because there isn't an actual protagonist to X, Shulk would be a great character to add for several reasons.

However Shulk shouldn't stop Isaac. Isaac shouldn't stop Shulk. I don't hate Isaac either. I'm just doubting his inclusion.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I would just like to say that people are underestimating Shulk. Now tha Xenoblade has that puzzle thingy, and was brought up directly by Iwata, I think it's fair to say that X is a big game for them. Because there isn't an actual protagonist to X, Shulk would be a great character to add for several reasons.

However Shulk shouldn't stop Isaac. Isaac shouldn't stop Shulk. I don't hate Isaac either. I'm just doubting his inclusion.
What about Saki, the most interesting of the blonde trio.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I would just like to say that people are underestimating Shulk. Now tha Xenoblade has that puzzle thingy, and was brought up directly by Iwata, I think it's fair to say that X is a big game for them. Because there isn't an actual protagonist to X, Shulk would be a great character to add for several reasons.

Shulk-Isaac tag-team, anyone?

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I honestly think Isaac is a great choice that won't get considered because all his games are handheld.
Lucas is from a handheld-only game, and so is G&W. Plus, Nintendo's handhelds are still crazy popular, I don't think the system his series is on would affect his chances at all.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I have been waiting for someone to mention this. I am completely on board with this line of thinking.
However, let's not let that logic dictate all our conclusions like it usually would.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Apparently Little Mac was a big deal after all: he's trending on Facebook right now.

Looking at some of his gameplay, he definitely is the Dudley x Balrog fighter I wanted him to be if he were playable. Crazy how Sakurai took a character I did not want and made me like him.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Lucas is from a handheld-only game, and so is G&W. Plus, Nintendo's handhelds are still crazy popular, I don't think the system his series is on would affect his chances at all.
Yes, but Mother 3 was intended to be released on the SNES and the 64, and Sakurai wanted to include him since Melee, but could not.
So he is an exception. And Mr. Game & Watch is a retro character, and he represents an entire console rather than a game.

Except for Lucas, Handheld characters don't get in.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well of course he's taking inspiration from his older games, it's just the same as Mario still using his cape from Super Mario World, or how Peach can float despite the fact that she hadn't done it in years by the time Melee came out, or even how Toon Link has a colour swap referencing the older style of Link.

He just really isn't retro anymore because of his Wii game, if everyone considers Pit not a retro anymore, how is Mac not in the same situation? Besides, Sakurai said that he picks retros because he likes to revive them, while Little Mac has no need for that at all. We can still fully expect an actual retro, probably Takamaru.
I can understand the argument that he's not a true retro as we define 'retro' because he got a one-off modern reboot. Still, hypothetically, if Pit weren't added in Brawl, yet still got revived in Uprising and was a newcomer in SSB4, I'd consider him to be in pretty much the same position. Those with a stricter view on what constitutes 'retro' won't agree with that, and that's okay.

I think Takamaru has as solid a chance now as he ever did. Nothing about Mac affects him in any way as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom