• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Marty, Kramer, and Mike are the likeliest. Though Robert(a) and Angela wouldn't be too shabby.

I would be surprised to see Ray return, though.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I was kinda thinking someone brand new so the new fire emblem fans could have something to relate too
They do have someone to relate to

Everyone recognized her as Marth in the beginning. So they'll recognize Marth in Smash

Actually, given the choice between Chrom and Roy I think Sakurai would choose Chrom.
They are both equally important, but it is crucial to note FE:A's success and impact on the franchise.
Smash's job is to honor Nintendo games. Not sell them.

Gune

Smash Lord
Let me ask something. If people claim Chrom can easily be unique, then doesn't that mean he could easily be a unique semi-clone? Wouldn't Sakurai obviously take that opportunity since it works without any issues? Meaning if he's going to add a semi-clone he'd just add Roy right? I mean he's not going to make Chrom fully unique because it'd be a reason to add someone else if he didn't. And don't sit there telling me he's not gonna share at least Smash attacks with Marth.
Oh snap your back sup man!

Well thats the thing I dont think chrom is going to be a clone he has the chance to be something completley amazing if given the chance or atleast i think so, if it all comes down to not being added because he has no real potential that makes him unique then fine thats cool I'm still going to give him my support till he is deconfirmed or confirmed.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Villager's background is green.
Mega Man's background is blue.
Wii Fit Trainer's background is green.
Rosalina's background is blue.
Little Mac's background is green.

Let me put on my tinfoil hat and say that the next newcomer is gonna have a blue background. Who could that possibly be?

Why do I think it is gonna be Takamaru? His sleeves are blue. That's why.

Also, the 28th anniversary of Takamaru's game Nazo no Murasame Jo is on April 14, 2014 (Monday).

We have Nintendo Directs every other month. And we got a Smash character each time.

June 2013 - SSB4 confirmed with 9 veterans and 3 newcomers
July 2013 - nothing
August 2013 - Luigi confirmed
September 2013 - nothing
October 2013 - Sonic confirmed
November 2013 - nothing
December 2013 - Rosalina & Luma confirmed
January 2014 - nothing
February 2014 - Little Mac confirmed
March 2014 - most likely nothing
April 2014 - we are probably getting another Nintendo Direct here

You know, ironically enough, Chrom could fit the bill. Awakening was released in Japan in April of 2012. Plus, the blue would fit.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey Saturn, remember how you said that Mac would be a Marth semi-clone?
See how unique he is now?
Just give Chrom a chance, I'm sure Sakurai can do something interesting with him.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
They won't get in
Lyn probably could. Uniqueness and popularity is on her side.

Oh snap your back sup man!

Well thats the thing I dont think chrom is going to be a clone he has the chance to be something completley amazing if given the chance or atleast i think so, if it all comes down to not being added because he has no real potential that makes him unique then fine thats cool I'm still going to give him my support till he is deconfirmed or confirmed.
Well, going by every single character ever in Smash who shared major similarities to another character (that was able to perform their abilities to begin with). I would not get your hopes up. Seeing as Lucas, Toon Link, and Ganondorf are semi-clones/clones with more to work with than Chrom, I would not be too optimistic that Chrom of all people will be the first exception in the series.

And like I said, if he has oh so much to work with, then him being a semi-clone with unique twists should be no problem right? What would be the downside?

Besides whiny Smash fans who only care about teh moooves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Mewtwo is the only one I see without much doubt in my mind getting in out of that group. Besides him, Ridley and to a lesser extent K Rool, and Krystal. The rest are kind of dead in the water to me.
Also, updated with much opinions.
It's so weird looking back at my polls and seeing the "top tens" of every poll. More or less you have two types of charactes who top the polls, ones that are in general, popular choices, and others who seem to have risen and then fallen within a years time. (Usually these are characters who are revealed with an announcement of a new game) New characters aren't neccisarily bound to fall out of popularity. (Honestly, most stay popular, just not EXTREMELY popular) Chrom is a prime example. Well, I just thought I'd go through my polls, and talk about the top tenners. Pretty much will just ramble about the characters, and if I think they're in or out.

Popular since Post-Brawl (Most were popular Pre-Brawl as well)
Megaman - Already revealed. At the time prior to his reveal, there was a massive debate within the community if we would get 3rd parties at all. Most said yes, some said no, and all cited the same two or three articles where Sakurai spoke on the matter. Guess I was drinking the wrong kool aid at the time. We got third parties
Mewtwo - He's In. Kind of has always been the most wanted character. Him and Megan always soared above K Rool and Ridley, who tended to soar above the rest as is.
Ridley - 50/50. Ridley has always been pretty popular. Outside of Smashboards and Reddit, not QUITE as popular, but most still pale in comparison.
King K Rool - He's Out. Kind of popular all around, unlike Ridley, who has a some detesters. He's always been a name to bring out, and prior to TF, and Villager, I would have said he's in. But, things don't seem super awesome for him atm, and we have a good amount of compeition for him. Dixie until recently was never much competition, but she definitely is now, and Cranky was always a throw away important character. Again, up until now.
Krystal - She's Out. She leads the lesser-but-still-popular choices. (Along with Mac) She eventually was surpassed by Mac, Roy, Chrom, and Palutena, but still reigns in the top 10 choices. Pretty much Star Fox isn't lookin' too hot right now, so I think she's taking a seat.
Isaac - He's Out. Along the same lines as Krystal in terms of popularity. He continues to top the charts, however with each small franchise character revealed / leaked, the worse off he looks. I think he's probably perma skipped over.
Roy - He's Out. He was sole champion of Fire Emblem prior to Chrom, Robin, and Lucina showing up. Once they did, and once FEA was released worldwide, and did fairly well, he was oust. His popularity even still is high. However, I see him falling from popularity in the next few years. Krystal, and Isaac as well, but I can see there fall more or less avoidable with a new game, unlike Roys.
Junior - So far out. Poor kid never stood a chance. He's been picking up the tail end of the top ten for a long time. Rosalina killed him.
Little Mac - Already Revealed. He's always been popular, but more recently he's become REAL popular. And look, it payed off.
Waluigi - So out. Real popular on 4chan, decently popular here. He's only on here because I know if I would have polled 4chan in the past he would have consistantly made top ten. He's as dead as Junior and Toad.

I'd like to make a small tribute to some Brawl era choices who at some point have fallen. I wouldn't consider them one hit wonders, just dying in popularity.
Toad - Pretty much confirmed out. Poor guy. He used to do so well. I think his downfall in popularity comes from a lot of things. (Not to say he isn't POPULAR, just not like he used to be) Rosalina's confirmation obviously killed him if the Peach B reveal didn't. A lot of the older gamers are cycling out, and the kids who grew up with Junior are cycling in. Not to mention Paper Mario, Waluigi, and the other various Mario choices could be skewwing his votes. His popularity could bump up again, but I've noticed it was mostly around SWF, and even here now, he's sort of dying.

Popular since being revealed (Newer / Revamped / Refurbished)
Dixie Kong - She's In. She was always popular, but usually hung out in the late teens of popularity, until the last year and a half or so. Tropical Freeze and AC really helped her out, and I think they're both big clues to her showing up in Smash.
Palutena - She's In. After Medusa was revealed to not be as important and interesting as we thought, Palutena kicked her popularity to the depths of Hades in 3 months time. KI is Sakurai's baby, he's the sole reason she is popular, and will most definitely show up in Smash 4.
Chrom 50/50 - Awakening will be the game our FE character comes from, but I'm not sure who. PROBABLY Chrom, but maybe Lucina or Robin? His popularity slowly grew, and as I branched out of SWF, I realized he was a liked character, and more popular choice for Smash than I thought.

One Hit Wonders (Characters who shoot up fast, but fall for varying reasons)
Medusa (There was a point in time where she was expected over Palutena) She did so well during the time when we didn't know anything about the game. Back when Magnus was on the same level as Palutena as well. As soon as we found out more about KIU, she plummeted.
Ghirahim Well, he didn't fall quite as hard as Medusa, but he still fell. He was destined to though, as almost all Zelda One Timers do. Besides Majora I suppose.
Still like K. Rool's chances better out of the potential remaining villains, despite what happens in Tropical Freeze. The only character I really disagree with you on is Isaac, which is weird considering I've always been rather antagonistic towards him. The potential for him with Psyenergy and summons gives him a really good shot a dynamic moveset, which is what I think Sakurai is looking for most of all this go around. Everyone else I pretty much agree with you on, more or less.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know, ironic enough, Chrom could fit the bill. Awakening was released in Japan in April of 2012. Plus, the blue would fit.
Or Blue Toad. :troll:

What? Super Mario Bros. 2 came out in Europe on April 1989. :awesome:

But yeah, Chrom would be pretty awesome! I have always loved his design!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Okay,you guys are about to see me more serious than ever before,no,really. I'm hiding my opinions because most of you would disagree.

Mario Reps are done
Zelda Reps,all we need is Ganondorf. We don't really need Shiek.
DK Reps,we will most likely have 2 in total,and that will most likely go to Diddy.
Metroid (this is where you would disagree),we're fine with just one rep.
Star Fox - Krystal,bam,Falco,bam,done.
Kirby - Could use a 3rd rep.
FE - SO MANY CHARACTERS TO PICK UP.
Yoshi - Kamek.
F-Zero - I guess Black Shadow.
Wario - Waluigi
Kid Icarus - Palutena
Mother - Fine with Ness if he is included.
Pokemon - SO MANY. POKEMANS
The rest are not mentioned because I think they're fine with what they are.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey Saturn, are we forgetting Peach and Rosalina?
We all know how that one turned out, they have a similar body structure so Rosalina became a clone of Peach.
Hey wait a second...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You know what, let's not have Roy or any Awakening character and let's just have Landmaster be our new FE character. :troll:
What about Tharja. Or Micaiah, Or Hector, or Lyn, or Black Knight, or Eirika, or Caeda, or Ephraim, or or or anyone else. THE SERIES CAN DO COOL THINGS I JUST DONT THINK IT WILL.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They do have someone to relate to

Everyone recognized her as Marth in the beginning. So they'll recognize Marth in Smash

Smash's job is to honor Nintendo games. Not sell them.
Oh,you're back....
Must've been long to cook them biscuits..

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Hey Saturn, are we forgetting Peach and Rosalina?
We all know how that one turned out, they have a similar body structure so Rosalina became a clone of Peach.
Hey wait a second...
Like a said. Rosalina was not originally able to perform Peach's move set. Judging by the last 3 replies I've gotten from you and how fast you "like" my posts, I'm thinking you don't fully read them.

If it was a case like Lucas where her abilities were grouped abilities like PSI, then we could have seen a Rosalina clone. But unfortunately she can only replicate 2 moves of Peach's.

I never said anything about body builds either.

You really don't?
Anyone else want to back me up on this one, I clearly remember you saying that Mac could have extremely similar specials to those of Marth.
I said you CAN make him a clone of Marth. Never did I ever propose this would ever be likely or even considered. I'm just saying that's easily possible. Again, the key word being "possible". As in you COULD do it. Not that it had any chance of actually happening.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I made a post last night presenting my roster picks, but it was lost in all the PotD/Nintendo Direct hype. You might (rightly) say that I shouldn't have posted at such a busy time, but the reason I worked on a roster and made the post was to pass the time until the Miiverse update. :awesome:
In any case, I've updated my roster to include Little Mac's official icon, and added Dixie Kong as a Diddy-Dixie tag team (rounding out the roster to 52 playable characters) This may not be an original/unique/daring/surprising roster, but it does represent my ideal roster at the present time. :)
I really like this one. It has a new Zelda character that isn't Tingle, that's all that I need to be happy.

I think I just found the perfect newcomer for Smash 4. I'd main him any day. I'm not even kidding.
-image removed-
I've got a better one.
-image removed-

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Okay,you guys are about to see me more serious than ever before,no,really. I'm hiding my opinions because most of you would disagree.

Mario Reps are done
DK Reps,we will most likely have 2 in total,and that will most likely go to Diddy.
Yoshi - Kamek.
Wario - Waluigi
Kid Icarus - Palutena
I'd be interested in your reasoning behind these choices.

-No Sheik?
-No Ridley?
-Cut Wolf?
-Kirby already has three characters; unless you meant a fourth
-What Pakemons would you prefer? Do you see Mewtwo as likely? Would you bring back the PK Trainer?

I guess with Little Mac's promotion from Assist to Playable, Waluigi's chances (and any Assists) are no longer as slim as they might once have been. F-Zero could certainly use some love, and I'm indifferent to Kamek (as well as FE characters).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I find it frustrating that when I constantly say "Major Similarities" and "Original Capabilities" it is interpreted by everyone here into "Any one with a remotely similar aesthetic/role"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah I remember Saturn saying that about Mac and Marth, though I doubt he phrased it as he meant. At least I hope not.

Mario Reps are done
Yoshi - Kamek.
Wario - Waluigi
Kid Icarus - Palutena
Why does SF "need" 3 characters, and F-Zero/KI two, but Metroid is fine with the one?

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

Actually, I see it the other way around. Both could be unique characters, but in regards to representation to their franchise, Krystal would fit that bill a little more. She has been a prominent secondary character in the last few entries into Star Fox, but Lyn has been left in her franchise's past. I don't deny Lyn completely, but FE has better choices than Lyn. I don't think SF has a more unique character option than Krystal.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@ Shorts Shorts I have a question.
Yus?

>Krystal is more popular by far
>Has every bit of a chance at being unique

Still like K. Rool's chances better out of the potential remaining villains, despite what happens in Tropical Freeze. The only character I really disagree with you on is Isaac, which is weird considering I've always been rather antagonistic towards him. The potential for him with Psyenergy and summons gives him a really good shot a dynamic moveset, which is what I think Sakurai is looking for most of all this go around. Everyone else I pretty much agree with you on, more or less.
I've always seen him as a second choice to Shulk. I don't know, I wouldn't completely rule him out. He's always a choice I guess.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman

Mario Reps are done
Yoshi - Kamek.
Wario - Waluigi
Kid Icarus - Palutena
I don't like this roster one bit donkey kong and metroid deserve newcomers more then any other nintendo franchise out there

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'd be interested in your reasoning behind these choices.

-No Sheik?
-No Ridley?
-Cut Wolf?
-Kirby already has three characters; unless you meant a fourth
-What Pakemons would you prefer? Do you see Mewtwo as likely? Would you bring back the PK Trainer?

I guess with Little Mac's promotion from Assist to Playable, Waluigi's chances (and any Assists) are no longer as slim as they might once have been. F-Zero could certainly use some love, and I'm indifferent to Kamek (as well as FE characters).
Well,you see my friend,I didn't want to make a very long message. But I'll be glad to answer them.

1.I don't really think Shiek has a high chance. With that new Zelda Darknut thing and the fact that Sheik only appeared in one game canon to Zelda (excluding 3D/Master Quest)

2.Pyrosphere crisis. I personally think it lowers Ridley's chance in a somewhat big way. I would give him a 40% - 30% chance

3.I wanted to type Wolf,but my laziness took over me,I think Wolf Stays

4.Not YET.

5.I want Greninja to represent the 6th gen. Zoraurk for the 5th if Greninja isn't involved. Or Blaziken fo the 3rd gen if None of them make it.

6.I agree with the assist,and I personally think Waluigi would have a higher chance than Mona. Also,IT'S WALUIGI.

7.I was going to put something else for DK Reps,I wanted Kiddy Kong from DK Land and DKC3. I just like him.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
but Metroid is fine with the one?
First off,it's how I would play it. I still considered Samus and ZSS the same character. Secondly,the pyrosphere hurts Ridley's chances a little bit. By this point,it's Ridley,Weavel,Sylux,or Dark Samus.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
USA with Canada, UK, Mexico, and Aus coming in with a stand out amount. I have votes from MANY countries, but a lot of them are like 1 - 10 votes each.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think he's saying that if your one and only reason for having Chrom is to advertise Awakening (which in my opinion is his only significant merit) then that pro is gone.
Hence why I think Chrom is a really piss poor chore, if his only merit is a fragile one trick pony.

Outside of that, he's probably the most lackluster choice you can pick, almost on par with Dark Pit and Keeby. Hence why I am always putting into question why people support the bloody thing. It just boggles the mind. I don't simply say "pick Marth or Ike instead" for no reason, I am being genuine that you're going to get the same results.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also,guys,I would not technically consider it my roster,My Roster will probably be different,it's just my idea of the roster. Some of my things I said will be sifferent (The metroid bit)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well,you see my friend,I didn't want to make a very long message. But I'll be glad to answer them.

1.I don't really think Shiek has a high chance. With that new Zelda Darknut thing and the fact that Sheik only appeared in one game canon to Zelda (excluding 3D/Master Quest)
This didn't matter in Brawl, and the Phantom is likely an Assist, in my opinion. If anything, Sheik's in a better position now than in pre-Brawl, due to Ocarina of Time 3D.

2.Pyrosphere crisis. I personally think it lowers Ridley's chance in a somewhat big way. I would give him a 40% - 30% chance
Honestly, if he were a hazard, he'd have been shown by now. We've seen many pictures and even large sums of video footage of the Pyrosphere, and no Ridley hazard has been seen.

3.I wanted to type Wolf,but my laziness took over me,I think Wolf Stays
As opposed to Falco/Krystal? Or in addition to?

5.I want Greninja to represent the 6th gen. Zoraurk for the 5th if Greninja isn't involved. Or Blaziken fo the 3rd gen if None of them make it.
We'll probably just get the Brawl Pokemon and Mewtwo.

6.I agree with the assist,and I personally think Waluigi would have a higher chance than Mona. Also,IT'S WALUIGI.
Waluigi isn't a Wario character. He's a Mario character. Sakurai has always listed him as such.

7.I was going to put something else for DK Reps,I wanted Kiddy Kong from DK Land and DKC3. I just like him.
K. Rool or Dixie would be much better, and much likelier, choices. Kind of interesting that you like Kiddy. I rarely see that, haha.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why does SF "need" 3 characters, and F-Zero/KI two, but Metroid is fine with the one?
Funny you say that. Zero Suit Samus is in partly because Sakurai wanted a 2nd Metroid character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
USA with Canada, UK, Mexico, and Aus coming in with a stand out amount. I have votes from MANY countries, but a lot of them are like 1 - 10 votes each.
Okay, cool. I ask because I was fairly certain characters like Little Mac and Ridley are favored in the West, while two characters I like a lot, Ghirahim and Lucina, are more popular overseas, and I wanted to verify that.

If you want a Japanese speaker for that poll, just ask Egoraptor!

?????????????

Smash Master
You can argue on whether or not you think Chrom is a "good choice" or a "unique choice." That's subjective from person to person. But is he a possible and fairly likely choice?

Yeah, pretty much. Duh. Duh yes. Hell yes. Yes he is. Obviously.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
@SaturnGamer64
I'm a quick reader. And I thought you mentioned that characters that look alike are doomed to be similar in playstyle.
Sorry bout that one.
No. I never said that.

I specifically said that if you have major similarities to a character AND are ORIGINALLY capable of performing their abilities simultaneously then you will. Or at least have a 90% chance of becoming one. Their COULD be exceptions. But, so far there haven't and the only character who seems a plausible exception is Mach Rider.

When I say originally capable, I mean a character is physically capable of performing an ability, or already owns an object and can thus plausibly summon it. Rosalina was only ever shown with a Parasol in Mario Kart 7 on her vehicle. A customization which is accessible by all and thus serves no significance to her. She has no relation to vegetables either. Nor does she appear in any sports games.

So she already has the major similarities, but she lacks the other criteria which must be simultaneously present. However if an ability is grouped like PSI (EarthBound) or Electricity (Pokemon) then that exception is made. One could argue that this means Lucario is viable to be a clone of Mewtwo because he can access Psychic which is a grouped ability. However all Pokemon are based on their main type with the exception of at most 2 moves. And it does like to cater more to the Anime appearances of them. In Anime, Lucario does not usually use it that much, if at all.

Another example Ridley is somewhat similar to Charizard. But, only slightly and he's not originally capable of summoning a rock smash or changing into other Pokemon. Again, Rosalina isn't originally capable of pulling vegetables or using Parasols.

I've also heard the excuse that Rosalina could float to replicate the parasol and launch star to replicate her side b. An ability that is not the same ability must RESEMBLE and function similar to the one you're cloning it from. So for example PK Freeze resembles PK Flash. Gravitational floating does not resemble pulling out a parasol and falling gently with it.

With excuses like that you could make Rosalina a clone of Mr. Game & Watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom