• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I really dislike all the possible Zelda newcomers XD
All of them are one time villains, Toon Zelda would be a clone and sounds incredibly unnecessary and Tingle is...Tingle.
And you support Bandana Dee. :troll:

Does anyone have a more sustantial argument against Midna and Ghirahim other than "they've only appeared once"?
This. And obviously the inverse, just because it was going to happen in Brawl doesn't mean it will happen in Smash 4.
*cough*DiddyDixie*cough*

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
\
What would Skull Kid do? Skull Kid isn't that popular.
Majora is. I doubt many people would recognize him without the mask. The character himself doesn't stand out that much.
They're the same thing to most Smash fans, and he is popular. Top 15 for sure.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
To my mind, Tetra would help balance the Mainverse-Toonverse divide of the Zelda franchise (since we currently have 3-4 potential Mainverse fighters, but only one from the Toonverse). Vaati could also serve that role, being a recurring antagonist on the handhelds. Classic Ganon could be cool, though maybe they could also replace TP Ganon for Classic Ganon in Ganondorf's FS.

Tingle has his spin-off franchise, and is a recurring character. Midna and Ghirahim are one-offs, but they starred in console games, which are the ostensible meat of the Zelda series.

Aesthetically, Tetra/Tingle/Ghirahim would fit best in SSB4. And I'd also find them to have the most chances overall, based on series prominence/relevance/recency/moveset potential/etc.

But what do I know. I'm just a Cenobite.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Does anyone have a more sustantial argument against Midna and Ghirahim other than "they've only appeared once"?
In Midna's case I can't see her getting in without Wolf Link...and that would be 3 Links. Which is overkill.

I've got nothing on Ghirahim yet. I just don't know what puts him above say...Vaati or Skull Kid in particular.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think the best option for Zelda is to not get any newcomers.

Seriously. I like Zelda and all, but I'm not interested in any of the options available, least of all Toon Zelda. I'd rather get Tingle than MOAR CLOENS

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
You dislike everyone except Bandanna Dee. :awesome:
That's true :awesome:
Well not ALL of them are one time villains. Vaati did have a few appearances. As did Ganon, but it's upto you whether that would seem redundant(two Links, two versions of Zelda(one is Sheik before you ask) and then two Ganon(dorf)s)

AND THEN THERE'S IMPA...

But no, seriously. I guess Vaati would be the least bad for me...maybe followed by Tingle. Due to appearances.
WTF!!!!
I totally forgot about them! :urg:
They are cool, I would like Vaati or Impa in Smash.
That can't be an insult.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The conclusion I came to is that Tingle is the best bet to show up if there has to be a Zelda newcomer. (although Ghirahim would probably be just as interesting)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
That's true :awesome:

WTF!!!!
I totally forgot about them! :urg:
They are cool, I would like Vaati or Impa in Smash.
How in the blue blazes does anyone forget Impa around here? She's basically memetic.

I think the best option for Zelda is to not get any newcomers.

Seriously. I like Zelda and all, but I'm not interested in any of the options available, least of all Toon Zelda. I'd rather get Tingle than MOAR CLOENS
Seconding the Toon Zelda part in particular.

If Tingle DOES appear though...can it at least be the slightly less disturbing Wind Waker style? Would also help balance the Toon/Realism if people are concerned with this.

Morbi

Scavenger

*cough*DiddyDixie*cough*
Not necessarily, relevance is fairly significant when it comes down to it though; many disregard the notion, but it is an aspect of inclusion. Midna, assuming she would be attached to Wolf Link, is a great idea, but I have a feeling that it is hard to develop (thus developing her at this point is not essential). I believe the biggest argument against Midna and Ghirahim are that there are much more feasible options. Ghirahim, while a unique character that offers variety to the roster, doesn't have anything substantially different than other swordsmen that are likely (such as whatever Fire Emblem character you support or one of the extremely unique ones like Isaac or Shulk).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The term prominence comes to mind. Not relevance. Midna is important, once. But she isn't prominent.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My vote goes to Original Ganon Ghiriham.
Because Original Ganon Ghirahim has potential,and a moveset well put together from one game,being A Link to the past Skyward Sword. He can use both magic and his trident sword. Very well put together for one villian.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Okay, here's my analysis of the three main one-off Zelda characters: (Assist Trophies disregarded)

Midna: An integral character from Zelda: Twilight Princess in both story and gameplay. Garnered a massive cult following after the game's release. Still remains somewhat. Debuted in 2006 and had no reason to be in SSBB, whose roster was finalized the previous year. Zelda: Twilight Princess is available on the Nintendo Wii and can be purchased now.

Skull Kid: A tragic character in Zelda: Majora's Mask. Revealed to be controlled by the true villain, Majora's Mask, towards the end of the game. Majora's Mask has garnered a huge following since it's release for it's dark nature and departure from the standards of Zelda games. Many people are clamouring for a remake of Majora's Mask, to coincide with Ocarina of Time 3D. SSBM was developed alongside Majora's Mask, leaving Skull Kid little opportunity as a playable character. Zelda: Majora's Mask was available on the Nintendo 64 and Wii Virtual Console. There is currently no way to obtain the game new, which contributes to the remake's demand (and Skull Kid's popularity)

Ghirahim: A major villain who plays a huge role in Zelda: Skyward Sword. Revealed at the climax to be the Demon King's sword. While Skyward Sword was not universally praised by fans, Ghirahim was highly praised and raised a huge fan following after the game was released. SSB4 began development a year Skyward Sword's release. Zelda: Skyward Sword is available on the Nintendo Wii and can be purchased now.

Morbi

Scavenger
My vote goes to Original Ganon Ghiriham.
Because Original Ganon Ghirahim has potential,and a moveset well put together from one game,being A Link to the past Skyward Sword. He can use both magic and his trident sword. Very well put together for one villian.
Did you just insinuate that Ganon was only present in one Legend of Zelda game? :confused::urg::facepalm:

Or maybe that was the joke? :lol:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
She was prominent in Twilight Princess, she isn't relevant to Legend of Zelda, and I wouldn't assert that she is entirely important to the series as a whole.
She's not prominent throughout the series. Like, say, Tingle and Impa are. She was Important, to one title, and that title is no longer relevant. wordswordswords.

It's Tingle or Toon Zelda, say what you want.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm sorry, but that's a terrible train of thought. So Sakurai's opinion is that bigger and more essential franchises get more characters? I'm sorry, but that is obviously not true.
Isn't that what I said?

Just by looking at Brawl's roster, it's clear characters themselves took way more priority over franchises or sales. While it's true bigger franchises got more characters, that's because their size and significance yields more iconic and recognizable characters.
I said that. But, a franchise being underrepped still contributes to deciding to add a character. It's never the sole reason, but it's certainly one of them.

Conversely, look at the smaller franchises. F-Zero and Yoshi, while being far more important to Nintendo than Earthbound, both received no new characters, because there were not characters that stood out enough to be playable.
I'll disagree with you on that. Samurai Goroh certainly stands out.

Same holds for Metroid, which technically didn't receive a new character.
That's funny. Because Metroid DID technically receive a new character and Sakurai even said that it was because he thought Metroid should have new characters

The number of characters a franchise has doesn't matter.
You can't say that because in some cases it doesn't that in ALL cases it doesn't.

And he has certainly never added characters to existing franchises to give them more recognition.
:zerosuitsamus::jigglypuff:You could also argue that Toon Zelda was going to be added to just to match Mario & Pokemon. Wouldn't surprise me. I mean we've gotten a character in Smash because of music.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Zelda: Twilight Princess is available on the Nintendo Wii and can be purchased now.
What about the Gamecube version?

Did you just insinuate that Ganon was only present in one Legend of Zelda game? :confused::urg::facepalm:

Or maybe that was the joke? :lol:
"and a MOVESET well put together from one game." Not the character,the moveset.

EDIT : God dammit,DOUBLE POST. sorry :c

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What if, now, bare with me... we didn't get Mewtwo? We got Rosalina over Toad/Junior/Waluigi.

Who would you want to see from Pokemon?

The title (Twilight Princess) is still relevant, especially in the context of Smash.
Maybe style wise, but that's it.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
She's not prominent throughout the series. Like, say, Tingle and Impa are. She was Important, to one title, and that title is no longer relevant. wordswordswords.

The Twilight Princess designs are the basis for Zelda's and Link's models.
It's still kind of important, in a sense.

What if, now, bare with me... we didn't get Mewtwo? We got Rosalina over Toad/Junior/Waluigi.

Genesect.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Happy Mask Salesman or bust.

I don't think we're going to get any new Zelda character, with how Sakurai is going for unique newcomers and even changing up older characters, I think he'll revamp Ganondorf like everyone has always wanted and call that the "newcomer."

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Lol, Tingle is important. he is recurring. But he never does anything significant except in Wind Waker, and that significant thing is regarded as the worst part of a great game universally.

D

Deleted member

After Rosalina's reveal, I've pretty much stopped looking to see who has appeared the most.
I mean, I would have bet on the likes of Bowser Jr., a Toad, or even Waluigi showing up before her (inb4antiwaluigirants), and was utterly shocked to see that she was joining the great fray.

So yeah, I do see someone like Ghirahim being a contender. Moreso than I did pre-Rosalina. However, he's just one of many contenders I see. I also see Tingle, Impa (as it pains me to admit), Tetra, Vaati (in flying eyeball form, not ***** emo mage form), and, if last-minute clone Newcomers are being considered, Toon Zelda (with or without a Toon Sheik) as contenders.

It's difficult for me to decide which one seems the most believable, though.
Lol, Tingle is important. he is recurring. But he never does anything significant except in Wind Waker, and that significant thing is regarded as the worst part of a great game universally.
Three games of his own plus DSi app.

Morbi

Scavenger

Maybe style wise, but that's it.
Meowth, as the main antagonist of the Pokemon anime (by definition, I am not asking for opinions), I feel as though he is one of the more worthy candidates with move-set potential (assuming they use his gadgets).

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Guys, how about we just accept Vaati as our best newcomer for Zelda. I know you all want to.
Last time I did, I got the salt train riding to my home and now I really just want Tetra or Vaati. More Toon Representation seems likely in my book.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
For the record, I also don't see a Zelda Newcomer as an essential addition, since the Brawl Zelda roster was pretty much complete. But if we are to get one, I'd prefer Ghirahim for various reasons (mostly subjective), even though I recognize that other contenders are more probable in principle.

All I'm waiting for is confirmation for Ganondorf. I need my Gerudo King.

Morbi

Scavenger
Last time I did, I got the salt train riding to my home and now I really just want Tetra or Vaati. More Toon Representation seems likely in my book.
I wouldn't mind more Toon representation, I suppose there is precedent to support that notion. Although, again, Tingle would be my pick (predominately utilizing his Wind Waker design). But I wouldn't mind Vaati at all, and Tetra is a much better choice than Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am of the opinion that many franchises in Brawl are perfect the way they are, and additional characters would be for uniqueness and popularity, rather than relevance or promotional value.

D

Deleted member

If we didn't get Mewtwo, then honestly, I'd rather not see anyone else added.

But if that's not an option, I'll go with Entei. Not likely in the slightest, but the question is who I would want rather than who would be likely to see in my opinion.

And if that's not an option and I have to pick something reasonable, I'll go with Blaziken.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Genesect, Sylveon, New Trainer (Kalos I suppose), Zoroark, and Meowth could all be petty cool in my eyes. Star had a "Lass Trainer" idea. One where Jiggs/Pichu/Gardevoir are teamed up. Always thought that was a cool idea.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I wouldn't mind more Toon representation, I suppose there is precedent to support that notion. Although, again, Tingle would be my pick (predominately utilizing his Wind Waker design). But I wouldn't mind Vaati at all, and Tetra is a much better choice than Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik.
I think Toon Sheik is behind Sakurai.
Stooping to creating things that didn't canonically exist and weren't even part of the game at all just to make more characters is really questionable.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am of the opinion that many franchises in Brawl are perfect the way they are, and additional characters would be for uniqueness and popularity, rather than relevance or promotional value.
I am of the opinion that many franchises in Brawl are not perfect the way they are, and additional characters would be for uniqueness and popularity, rather than relevance or promotional value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom