• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm not trying to say that they are only adding these characters for their retro appeal. I'm saying that they inadvertently fill that niche, which makes me wonder if we will see any more retro Nintendo characters.
Well there is the flaw right there Megaman and Pac-Man are not retro Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well there is the flaw right there Megaman and Pac-Man are not retro Nintendo characters.
It's not a flaw. I didn't say that they were retro Nintendo characters. They are retro characters that appeared on Nintendo systems, so they still fill that niche. They fill in two areas of the Venn Diagram. The thing that remains unclear is how Sakurai sees that role as filled.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It's not like the game can't go on without a retro character.

They aren't as necessary as everyone thinks, really.
I wasn't trying to say the spot was absolute. I'm just trying to follow a pattern from melee to Brawl. I know it isn't exact.

But we have gotten a retro rep as a starter each time around, Ice climbers, Pit, and now Mac. Makes you wonder if something is gonna follow G&W and ROB

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Charizard was revealed in Greninja's trailer, though.

I could see Pac-Man filling both roles. It's just hard to tell. Not enough info imo.
Apologies, I meant to say that Veterans can be revealed either way.
Newcomers are trailer-exclusives.

Yeah, we do need to know a bit more and maybe what's the situation with G&W to see where Pac fits in.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I wasn't trying to say the spot was absolute. I'm just trying to follow a pattern from melee to Brawl. I know it isn't exact.

But we have gotten a retro rep as a starter each time around, Ice climbers, Pit, and now Mac. Makes you wonder if something is gonna follow G&W and ROB
I was really talking to BluePikmin, but I'll bite.

I agree that it's probably Mac at this point (sadly; Takamaru and Mach would have been awesome, and I don't really consider Mac retro). Not sure if anything will follow in G&W and ROB's footsteps, however Wii Fit Trainer could possibly. She represents an important hardware in Nintendo history. Only problem is that she's a starter, but I doubt that means much.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
A retro character isn't that necessary.

There is no one that sticks out as one this time (except for Takamaru, but he doesn't seem that unique), and I think that they have enough retro characters in Smash for now.
We do live in the modern age of gaming, and we should celebrate that, instead of always living in the past.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wii Fit Trainer might as well be that since you could say she represents the Wii and its success as a whole.

Also agree that Mac is our retro character.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I was really talking to BluePikmin, but I'll bite.

I agree that it's probably Mac at this point (sadly; Takamaru and Mach would have been awesome, and I don't really consider Mac retro). Not sure if anything will follow in G&W and ROB's footsteps, however Wii Fit Trainer could possibly. She represents an important hardware in Nintendo history. Only problem is that she's a starter, but I doubt that means much.
oh, lol. your post does make more sense reading it in response to his.

I agree with most of your points here. I agree, mach rider would have been really interesting, especially if he's always on his bike. I don't dislike Mac, but... he is a little boring, imo. A boxer in a fighting game. I won't complain, though.

I can also see Wii - Fit filling the ROB G&W spot, if you consider them hardware reps (which they technically are). but if you count them as retro reps, it gets a little harder. I agree that her being a starter doesn't mean much.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I know that, but I'm confident it will happen again. That statement can be pretty much applied every other newcomer anyways.
Sure, the game can go on no matter what.

But the "retro" label is simply a pattern.
Like a new Star Fox character.
Like Mario having the most slots.
It's bound to be broken eventually.

D

Deleted member

You want a "retro" character?
:falcon:

I kid, I kid

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Good to know the topic of conversation I presented turned into a healthy debate.

I think there will be a lot of things we'll have to reconsider for the next Smash (God knows when that will be). Retro characters being a thing is one of them. I think it's definitely arguable at this point that it's a fan made theory based on Pit and Ice Climbers.

Of course, we need to remember that most things fan-made are bull****. That's an important thing to remember. Especially when our thoughts are based on things that simply have no backing.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Pokemon never has had any spin off series, either...so there's no way that could happen O_o
There's actually been quite a few. Stadium, Snap, Hey You Pikachu, Colosseum, XD, some others on the Gamecube, Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, Conquest, Trozei, Farm, and many more. Why none of these ever received content in Smash is beyond me.
Seriously, the best forms of these 3rd parties are the retro designs, the ones that people remember the most, I do not think there is any intention to add them for adding more classic characters.
I actually prefer Megaman X over Classic Megaman. However, I agree that classic is more iconic.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
You want a "retro" character?
:falcon:

I kid, I kid
While we're at it, let's give Falcon his SNES appearance as an alt costume!

There's actually been quite a few. Stadium, Snap, Hey You Pikachu, Colosseum, XD, some others on the Gamecube, Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, Conquest, Trozei, Farm, and many more. Why none of these ever received content in Smash is beyond me.
I'm really dissapointed that the Pokemon spin-off games get zero representation. I know the mainline games are big and all, but the franchise is so much more...

I could only think of the Zero-One and maybe that rockin' Meowth trophy in Melee as some spin-off representation (don't know if you'd count the Pokemon anime's influence as spin-off representation)... Heck, Pikachu can be represented by his own series at this point. :laugh:

Some more Mario spin-off representation would be nice, espeically a stage, like Paper Mario or Mario Party (which I think a stage is long overdue). Oh well, there's always going to be some skewed series representation in Smash, even characters.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Personally, I would prefer that we get retro costumes for characters than get a buttload of them added.

So in essence, that Captain Falcon one is good, maybe a re-coloration of Peach from the NES era, maybe one for Link too...

Just some ideas. I like Retro characters, but I don't believe they are necessary for Smash to continue adding characters. I think there are some good retros left, but there's no reason to just add them for the sake of adding them in my opinion.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I think the only pattern that could possibly be safe is a new WTF character every game, and that's just because there will always be a character nobody expects to be in the game, such as WFT, Greninja, and Chorus Men. (If the leak turns out to be true)

D

Deleted member

So in essence, that Captain Falcon one is good, maybe a re-coloration of Peach from the NES era, maybe one for Link too...
Isn't Toon Link's brown-ish color a reference to Link's NES palette? Or are you saying you want Link to have that same color scheme as well?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Isn't Toon Link's brown-ish color a reference to Link's NES palette? Or are you saying you want Link to have that same color scheme as well?
Mainly for Big Link. I know Toon Link has it but I think Link could get away with having one as well.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So you guys have heard about the Smash Run bosses, right?

Well if you haven't, Kirbopher (creator of Brawl Taunts and a few other video game parodies) heard from a Nintendo rep at E3 that Kraid and an important Kremling would be a boss in Smash Run mode.

So it's leading me to some thinking...

Could K. Rool be the Kremling? Or someone like Klump or Krusha?
And does Kraid benefit Ridley, or hurt his chances?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
By the way, speaking of alternate costumes, we now know that Little Mac has two unique alternate costumes, wire frame Mac and pink sweater Mac. Along with Sakurai's comments about there being more hidden costumes, that would make extensive alternate costumes for other characters a much more feasible possibility, correct? So perhaps these retro costume ideas could become a reality.

Also, I would think this reveal kind of hurts Dark Pit's chances.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Well if you haven't, Kirbopher (creator of Brawl Taunts and a few other video game parodies) heard from a Nintendo rep at E3 that Kraid and an important Kremling would be a boss in Smash Run mode.

K. Rool as a boss would be awful, though Kraid being a boss for the Metroid series kind of relieves Ridley of some of his problems since otherwise we'd get multiple bosses from the same franchise. Though I do have a bit of a theory - maybe these bosses in Smash Run are the "glorified stage hazards" we've seen before, and they make an appearance here because they can't be the glorified stage hazards on the Wii U stages? There is the possibility of the Yellow Devil becoming one of these Smash Run bosses too.
Just a theory though.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

It's possible K. Rool is the important Kremling. It would be awful, but it's certainly possible. Though it's also possible that the important Kremling really is just an important Kremling, and not K. Rool himself.

I would say that Kraid being a Smash Run boss helps Ridley, actually. I mean, Smash Run is on the 3DS version. Ridley presumably has no boss hazard role in that version, so I would think it would make sense for him to be a boss in Smash Run. After all, he is a rather important Metroid character. If he's going to a boss and not playable, they could at least have him appear in both versions of the game.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I still have my hopes for Mach Rider.

I would guess that K. Rool would indeed be the boss, sadly. As much as I want him playable, at least a boss status is worthy for the king. I actually think this guy could possibly be the boss as well:
He would match perfectly, and doesn't play around.

Kraid would be a preftect boss choice! I'm loving the idea already.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Regarding the retro characters: Have you people forgotten Sakurai's statement again? The one where he pretty much confirms we'll get retros? Arguing about their "necessity" is pointless.
I actually think this guy could possibly be the boss as well:
He would match perfectly, and doesn't play around.
Yeah, Klubba was my first thought as well. Though this whole thing came out of nowhere, so I don't really know what to think.

I mean it's not even certain if the info is correct or not.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sure, the game can go on no matter what.

But the "retro" label is simply a pattern.
Like a new Star Fox character.
Like Mario having the most slots.
It's bound to be broken eventually.
If Sakurai doesn't want to continue reviving franchises to give them the center of attention to people, then sure.

"Those are the designs fans wanted" doesn't render my point invalid.
I wasn't talking about their designs.
So you are arguing classic style of Pac-Man and Megaman? OK then.. but I'm still not completely understanding, because even if they are treated in that style, they are still "special guests", they have a different criteria from Nintendo characters.

By the way, speaking of alternate costumes, we now know that Little Mac has two unique alternate costumes, wire frame Mac and pink sweater Mac. Along with Sakurai's comments about there being more hidden costumes, that would make extensive alternate costumes for other characters a much more feasible possibility, correct? So perhaps these retro costume ideas could become a reality.

Also, I would think this reveal kind of hurts Dark Pit's chances.
Retro designs hurting Dark Pit's chances? No not really..
What would hurt his chances is if there was a character whom has an alternate costume of a different person such as Ness having an extensive Lucas alt. and Ninten alt.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
On the topic of Retros, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai thought of Pac-Man as this game's retro character.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

It's definitely possible, though I'd think since King K. Rool is very popular he would've named him. Nonetheless, if it is him that will be very disappointing, so hopefully it's one of the others like Krusha.

As for Ridley, I can't say it really helps or hurts him.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If Sakurai doesn't want to continue reviving franchises to give them the center of attention to people, then sure.

So you are arguing classic style of Pac-Man and Megaman? OK then.. but I'm still not completely understanding, because even if they are treated in that style, they are still "special guests", they have a different criteria from Nintendo characters.

Retro designs hurting Dark Pit's chances? No not really..
What would hurt his chances is if there was a character whom has an alternate costume of a different person such as Ness having an extensive Lucas alt. and Ninten alt.
No, not the idea of retro costumes. The fact that there are still more extensive alternate costumes in the game, and the fact that Sakurai said that there were numerous costumes not seen at E3 or the demo hurts Dark Pit's (already low) chances. That opens up the very real possibility that Dark Pit will just be a special alternate costume, which I think is by far the most likely outcome.

D

Deleted member

Retro designs? RETRO DESIGNS!? *cough*sonic*cough*... But, in all seriousness, the retro designs for Mega Man and Pac-Man were the best decisions in my opinion. They are easily more iconic. As for Sonic, uhh... Sakurai wants Sonic Adventure 3? Nah, it's probably because his classic design is too short. Though I would like an alt based on his classic design.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
G'Afternoon, after hearing someone talk about wanting Splatoon in Smash Bros 4 (Which I think would be a fantastic idea as their movesets are basically already laid out for the) I decided to go ahead and draw this:

Smash Bros 4 Inkling.jpg

Unlike the likes of Roy, this is an idea I'd be more than willing to see. :p

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
G'Afternoon, after hearing someone talk about wanting Splatoon in Smash Bros 4 (Which I think would be a fantastic idea as their movesets are basically already laid out for the) I decided to go ahead and draw this:

View attachment 17379
Wow, good job on the drawing. I wasn't interested in the game at first glance, but after watching some gameplay, it looks like it could be really fun playing with friends.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace

View attachment 17379
Great drawing! I'm very excited for Splatoon, I wish it was released earlier so that the inklings could have a better chance...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

View attachment 17379
I'd say the Splatoon characters are pretty unlikely for this installment, but they could be excellent additions for Smash 5. I think their game/series needs to establish itself first, though.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
All right, Ebony, I've got no more to say than these fine people on the topic of Mewtwo, but I did report you for spamming a topic worse than Cliffjumper's "SEGA for sale" talks. So keep it up.

I. Dare. You.
El. Oh. El. Disagreeing with the hivemind = spamming a topic. Got it! I'll ask permission from now on just what it is I'm allowed to speak on or disagree with. Do we have a newsletter that helps us get our opinions straight? I need to subscribe to it then so I can think Ridley's playable just like the rest of the Ridley thread.

Hey, let's keep this on-topic, eh? It's Smash Run bosses, right? Am I allowed to wonder what do you think the boss of Pokemon Smash Run will be? I mean, I didn't get my newsletter, so I dunno if we've already agreed on a pokemon that'll be the boss. Lemme know so I can reinforce the echo chamber! Wouldn't want to cause a stir with some of my ideas..

:)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Franklly, as much as I'm into DLC, I personally think if Ridley and K.Rool end up as bosses in their respective roles (Wii U and 3DS) I think they're canned. They aren't going to drastically change things like that in my opinion.

However, on the flip side, if it's Krusha or something, that's good news for K.Rool. He'd still be a viable playable candidate, and it shows that Sakurai likes using the Kremlings.

Kraid simply has nothing to do with Ridley in my opinion.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Pokemon that SHOULD be a boss?

The moment I saw Giratina in Greninja's trailer, I was praying for a Distortion World stage where you can battle this guy, it would be just perfect...but nah, he's just a pokeball pokemon who launches dragon pulse at you...not even origin forme either. :glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom