• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
- Slots remain equal, disparage it all you want. The numbers crunch in my favor.
- Sakurai's got no interest in Mewtwo as a playable character. As a Boss, he likely sees potential, just like Ridley.
- Mewtwo will always have the stain of being the sole cut non-clone when actual clones got passed through. It means something.

Red text. Ew. Anyway, he didn't care about Mewtwo enough to prioritize him in any way, that much is obvious. So much for the all-star treatment, huh? Or maybe the Ice Climbers are more important than Mewtwo after all...

And Mewtwo didn't enjoy any kind of priority, despite his supposed All-star status. He got dumped, plain and simple.

Er, yes? Where's the dispute here?

This doesn't hamper the Mario Theory in the least, but thanks for trying. 47 + R looms over your head.

Because developers would just shift around character orders because they really love the ~*mystery*~.
Anyway Mewtwo has a high chance of making it in, whether you like it or not.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Well, yes, Mewtwo's role in Origins was likely due to the emphasis that special placed on the original games. But Origins is not everything. That's completely ignoring Mewtwo's role in the Genesect movie and the fact that Mewtwo was the first Pokemon revealed to have a Mega Evolution, before Mega Evolution was even a known thing. Oh, and he also got a second Mega Evolution as well. That all didn't happen due to some anime special, Mewtwo got all that special treatment because he's one of the most popular Pokemon of all time. What happened in the anime was a result of that, not the other way around.

Also, here's something to consider: if time wasn't an issue, if Sonic hadn't put strains on development, we would have had Mewtwo in Brawl. Time was the issue. It can be debated thy Mewtwo was the one chosen to be cut due to those time constraints, but the fact is that if those time constraints did not exist, we'd still have Mewtwo and we wouldn't be debating this.
Mewtwo was obviously expendable. That's pretty much the end of the debate.

*Ahem* The fact is that there's nothing to prove that Sakurai did not plan for Mewtwo to be one of the last unlockable characters in the game, along with Roy. And again, if he didn't like Mewtwo, WHY WAS HE IN THE GAME AT ALL? Also, the fact that that literally proves nothing makes me question why you even bothered replying in the first place. A wasted reply? Ew.

Edit: Also...Mr. Game & Watch, Gaming all-star and historian...was the last character included into Melee...that must mean he was low priority too and not intended to be a penultimate unlockable right?
Sakurai was experimenting with him, trying to make him not hot garbage. Obviously, it either wasn't working out or was taking too much time so when the crunch set in, Sakurai gave him the boot. I don't see him coming back after that.

i'm not trying to argue the character order. the character order remained the same between the brawl demo roster, the starting roster, and the full roster. this is significantly different than the css format itself - i.e. the boxes - which, as has been pointed out, did change in size between the demo and release despite both having three rows.
That's because there was no change in the physical size of Brawl's display medium. I guarantee you if Brawl went from a TV screen to a 3DS screen there would be a shift in layout because there just isn't enough room. Can you fit the Wii U CSS as-is on the 3DS? If it scrolled, yes, but then, guess what, you wouldn't need to change the character order. They did. That means it's not just a simple copy-paste job.

Anyway Mewtwo has a high chance of making it in, whether you like it or not.
47 + R disagrees rather vehemently.

I swear, this sounds like Brawl speculation all over again.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
For the LOVE of GOD can we change the subject? If nobody is going to change it away from this stupid Mewtwo discussion, then I will change it.

Will we get a retro character or not? OR, did we already get it?

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
- Slots remain equal, disparage it all you want. The numbers crunch in my favor.
- Sakurai's got no interest in Mewtwo as a playable character. As a Boss, he likely sees potential, just like Ridley.
- Mewtwo will always have the stain of being the sole cut non-clone when actual clones got passed through. It means something.

Red text. Ew. Anyway, he didn't care about Mewtwo enough to prioritize him in any way, that much is obvious. So much for the all-star treatment, huh? Or maybe the Ice Climbers are more important than Mewtwo after all...

And Mewtwo didn't enjoy any kind of priority, despite his supposed All-star status. He got dumped, plain and simple.

This doesn't hamper the Mario Theory in the least, but thanks for trying. 47 + R looms over your head.

Because developers would just shift around character orders because they really love the ~*mystery*~.
How many Mario Kart 64 players are playable in Smash already?
I would consider those all "Mario Characters" otherwise they wouldn't really be karting or partying with that Mario guy all the time.

They are "Mario-Oriented."

Even though they spawned their own properties and have unique icons they are still Mario characters in the end.
They still appear in the kart and party games.

Go ahead and tell me Wario is not a Mario character. His whole conception is based on that character and he is tied closely to that series, like the others.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

You have no evidence that Sakurai doesnt think of Mewtwo as a good choice, you dont know if he has even been considered for a boss. Your arguments only show how biased you are towards your own thoughts about Mewtwo, your Mario theory, and your holy math theory, wich ARE NOT FACTS. I'm done with your idiotic logic, take it to the rectus where it came from.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
For the LOVE of GOD can we change the subject? If nobody is going to change it away from this stupid Mewtwo discussion, then I will change it.

It seems like a lot of people see Little Mac as the new retro character. I guess it makes sense... I would've loved to see Lip playable, but unfortunately she's deconfirmed. At this point, idk if we'll see a retro character (or *another* one if you consider Mac a retro which I still don't know where I stand on that since I know relatively nothing about punch out).

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman

I think we already got it with Little Mac, honestly.
Know that he just had a new game out, but feel like he is still a "retro" rep.

Wii Fit Trainer, to me, is like Olimar was in Brawl. A newer series rep.

Villager has been around for a while, so he was just getting his due!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

-That is a pattern, yes. Whether or not it means anything cannot be determined. It cannot be treated as fact.

-Ok, I am sick of hearing this, because this just isn't true. If Sakurai truly had no interest in Mewtwo as a character, he never would have considered Mewtwo for Smash, let alone make him playable in one game. Sakurai's actions show an active interest in having Mewtwo in Smash, but it's an interest that, due to complicated development issues, could not be realized in Brawl. If anything, this would suggest that Mewtwo is a character Sakurai wanted to keep on the roster, but unfortunately had to cut, and may have interest in returning now that Said character is more prominent and popular than ever before. This is further backed up by e fact that Sakurai went out of his way to say he was thinking about including Mega Mewtwo Y in Smash, which given the circumstances would most logically suggest that Mewtwo could be a playable character.The idea that Sakurai has absolutely no interest in Mewtwo is one that has no logical basis that you made up. The same goes for the idea that Mewtwo would be a boss. There is no logic to back this up, and there is plenty of hard evidence that works against it. You simply choose not to acknowledge it.

-Maybe, maybe not.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Sakurai was experimenting with him, trying to make him not hot garbage. Obviously, it either wasn't working out or was taking too much time so when the crunch set in, Sakurai gave him the boot. I don't see him coming back after that.
The proof is just dripping from this trite. However, I can prove that Mewtwo was most likely considered to be the penultimate unlockable character...considering...well y'know:

It's been his role:

Since the Very:

Beginning of Pokemon!

That, and Mewtwo's the most deserving Penultimate unlockable character in the entire Smash franchise. Completely unique in every regard, represents the mighty legendaries, has been designed for Smash three times already, Mewtwo is basically a trump card waiting to happen. Your accusations are great, but considering everything that's been presented, be it the intention for a late inclusion, the amount of content on the disc regarding Mewtwo, the fact that Mewtwo was intended to co-exist with Lucario and the other pokemon, I come to the conclusion that...Mewtwo was INTENTIONALLY designed to be the last character in the game, much like Game & Watch in Melee, and I know you can't go calling a historical character like Game & Watch low priority.

That's it, I'm done with that discussion, thanks for playing.

Well, considering Pac-Man and Little Mac's historical ties...eeeeeehhh...I say we have our historical characters, especially considering Pac-Man has been directly compared to Game & Watch and how old they are.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace

Little Mac and Palutena could technically count as retro characters. I mean, they had two entries in their main series until they recently both got new installments in the past few years. Palutena is a totally different character now thanks to her newfound personality in Uprising, but Little Mac's still kind of a blank slate. Maybe Mega Man could count as a retro character, but he's had new games as of late. And Pac-Man could count, but like Mega Man, he's had some new games in recent years.

Maybe if they throw in Takamaru or someone from Startropics or Pro Wrestling that could count more as "retro."

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
How many Mario Kart 64 players are playable in Smash already?
I would consider those all "Mario Characters" otherwise they wouldn't really be karting or partying with that Mario guy all the time.
You mean Mario Kart is a crossover game? Wow, I'd never have guessed when R.O.B. strapped in! Is he a Mario character? Who isn't a Mario character at this point by that definition?

They are "Mario-Oriented."
They originated in the Mario universe, and then split off. I'm failing to see how this hurts anything. They're their own franchises now, utterly independent of Mario.

Even though they spawned their own properties and have unique icons they are still Mario characters in the end.
You heard it here, folks. Every DK character from this point forward is a Mario character instead. Wonder why they get their own little icon? I dunno, just Sakurai being ~*crazy*~ I guess!
They still appear in the kart and party games.
And they keep appearing in Smash! Does that mean all Smash characters are Mario characters too now? Or all characters are all characters? Holy crap, that's getting too heavy for me, I want my blue pill now.

Go ahead and tell me Wario is not a Mario character. His whole conception is based on that character and he is tied closely to that series, like the others.
Okay. He's not. Not anymore. WarioWare is his realm now.

Okay, here's Mewtwo stuff, cordoned off as to be ignorable.
-That is a pattern, yes. Whether or not it means anything cannot be determined. It cannot be treated as fact.

-Ok, I am sick of hearing this, because this just isn't true. If Sakurai truly had no interest in Mewtwo as a character, he never would have considered Mewtwo for Smash, let alone make him playable in one game. Sakurai's actions show an active interest in having Mewtwo in Smash, but it's an interest that, due to complicated development issues, could not be realized in Brawl. If anything, this would suggest that Mewtwo is a character Sakurai wanted to keep on the roster, but unfortunately had to cut, and may have interest in returning now that Said character is more prominent and popular than ever before. This is further backed up by e fact that Sakurai went out of his way to say he was thinking about including Mega Mewtwo Y in Smash, which given the circumstances would most logically suggest that Mewtwo could be a playable character.The idea that Sakurai has absolutely no interest in Mewtwo is one that has no logical basis that you made up. The same goes for the idea that Mewtwo would be a boss. There is no logic to back this up, and there is plenty of hard evidence that works against it. You simply choose not to acknowledge it.

-Maybe, maybe not.
Last one, I promise(for now). Sakurai doesn't consider Mewtwo a priority character, at least not in a playable sense, this much is clear. Do you think Ridley's just being hinted at playable? THE SHADOW MAN, THE SHADOW! The statement Sakurai made about Mewtwo's Mega-form was vague at best. Combined with his Legendary nature, he would make a fine Boss.
The proof is just dripping from this trite. However, I can prove that Mewtwo was most likely considered to be the penultimate unlockable character...considering...well y'know:

It's been his role:

Since the Very:

Beginning of Pokemon!

That, and Mewtwo's the most deserving Penultimate unlockable character in the entire Smash franchise. Completely unique in every regard, represents the mighty legendaries, has been designed for Smash three times already, Mewtwo is basically a trump card waiting to happen. Your accusations are great, but considering everything that's been presented, be it the intention for a late inclusion, the amount of content on the disc regarding Mewtwo, the fact that Mewtwo was intended to co-exist with Lucario and the other pokemon, I come to the conclusion that...Mewtwo was INTENTIONALLY designed to be the last character in the game, much like Game & Watch in Melee, and I know you can't go calling a historical character like Game & Watch low priority.

That's it, I'm done with that discussion, thanks for playing.
Uh, that's not how development works. You can design the last character to unlock first in production. It doesn't change anything as far as the unlock order goes. Face it, Mewtwo was on the back burner and eventually flamed out when Sonic came along. If Mewtwo was a big hitter, he'd get done first. Not saved for last when time crunches may or may not happen, especially if SEGA was being coy and on the fence regarding Sonic(which Sakurai admitted would cause problems). I mean, if you had an uber powerhouse ready to be built, wouldn't you want to get it done ASAP rather than 'well maybe later'. Sakurai didn't put any priority on Mewtwo, and that's what cost him his slot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't believe in the "retro character" thing anymore, since the concept is all arbitrary "requirements" made by fans.
Instead, I look towards what Sakurai may consider a "classic character", at which I feel we've already got it; Little Mac. And arguably Mega Man and Pac-Man as well due to the very styles they were given.

Why I find the requirements arbitrary is because Sakurai doesn't follow them; he follows his own.
When he was deciding on a NES protagonist to include for Melee, one of the characters he looked at was the Excitebiker.
This was despite Excitebike 64 existing prior to Melee. By the arbitrary rules fans give for "retro characters", Excitebiker would not be one, yet it did not matter to Sakurai.

With Little Mac (as far as Smash is trying to establish) being a character dating back from the old arcade days of Nintendo, he's being treated in Smash as a "classic character" of sorts, a "relic from the past" if you will. This is despite Punch-Out!! for the Wii existing. In fact, that game seems to be being treated as a "modernization" of sorts while the older titles get the bigger focus (in stark contrast to Pit, who has the modern Uprising as the focus point with some nods to the past).

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It's funny, because I remember a while back when I posted that I thought Little Mac could be considered a retro character, many laughed and thought I was crazy. Wut iz goin' on.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's funny, because I remember a while back when I posted that I thought Little Mac could be considered a retro character, many laughed and thought I was crazy. Wut iz goin' on.
Opinions change. What's laughable one day may be a widely accepted truth another.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Oh man, Mewtwo wasn't added in a point in time when his popularity was dead. I guess it makes no sense to add him now that he's become more popular than ever.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
You mean Mario Kart is a crossover game? Wow, I'd never have guessed when R.O.B. strapped in! Is he a Mario character? Who isn't a Mario character at this point by that definition?

They originated in the Mario universe, and then split off. I'm failing to see how this hurts anything. They're their own franchises now, utterly independent of Mario.

You heard it here, folks. Every DK character from this point forward is a Mario character instead. Wonder why they get their own little icon? I dunno, just Sakurai being ~*crazy*~ I guess!

And they keep appearing in Smash! Does that mean all Smash characters are Mario characters too now? Or all characters are all characters? Holy crap, that's getting too heavy for me, I want my blue pill now.

Okay. He's not. Not anymore. WarioWare is his realm now.

Okay, here's Mewtwo stuff, cordoned off as to be ignorable.

Last one, I promise(for now). Sakurai doesn't consider Mewtwo a priority character, at least not in a playable sense, this much is clear. Do you think Ridley's just being hinted at playable? THE SHADOW MAN, THE SHADOW! The statement Sakurai made about Mewtwo's Mega-form was vague at best. Combined with his Legendary nature, he would make a fine Boss.

Uh, that's not how development works. You can design the last character to unlock first in production. It doesn't change anything as far as the unlock order goes. Face it, Mewtwo was on the back burner and eventually flamed out when Sonic came along. If Mewtwo was a big hitter, he'd get done first. Not saved for last when time crunches may or may not happen, especially if SEGA was being coy and on the fence regarding Sonic(which Sakurai admitted would cause problems). I mean, if you had an uber powerhouse ready to be built, wouldn't you want to get it done ASAP rather than 'well maybe later'. Sakurai didn't put any priority on Mewtwo, and that's what cost him his slot.
Sorry, due to all the cross overs I got confused.

They are actually all "Donkey Kong" characters. Mario is actually a spin off series of Donkey Kong and should be held to that.
Close ties don't matter as long as they have their own icon. Can't wait for that pictochat rep!

Pokemon never has had any spin off series, either...so there's no way that could happen O_o

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Little Mac is our retro character. Yeah, he hasn't had a ton of games and is usually noted for his appearance in the original Punch-Out, but he did have his recent Wii title, which was more of a reboot/remake than a standalone title, but still. If there are any characters that deserve to be called "retro" characters and be labeled as such if they make it into Super Smash Bros. 4 it's Mach Rider and Takamaru.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Sorry, due to all the cross overs I got confused.
I know, such a pain! If only there were ways to clearly identify who is from whose roster.

They are actually all "Donkey Kong" characters. Mario is actually a spin off series of Donkey Kong and should be held to that.
Whoa, man! DK's tropical setting sure got intertwined with Yoshi's Island.. And is that Wario's bike?

Close ties don't matter as long as they have their own icon. Can't wait for that pictochat rep!
Nothing can ever divorce itself from its parent source! Nevermind that they've had successful franchises of their own for years! Also, every icon means a character! Wonder who the crown's for? The Mii KING? Unpossible!

Pokemon never has had any spin off series, either...so there's no way that could happen O_o
Aside from the Mystery Dungeon and Ranger series, and even then, they didn't intrude much on other universes, to my recollection.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I want another surprise character. Like someone nobody would have predicted, like the Wii Fit Trainers. Chorus Men already fits the bill though...

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Yeah...I have a feeling that this game might have a few less newcomers than Brawl had, but I'm still hoping for a few surprises though.
Eh. It makes sense, we're reaching a threshold where balance becomes a nightmare and Sakurai's not keen on overlarge rosters in the first place. Just means we start to get to speculating modes and such faster. :)

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I know, such a pain! If only there were ways to clearly identify who is from whose roster.

Whoa, man! DK's tropical setting sure got intertwined with Yoshi's Island.. And is that Wario's bike?

Nothing can ever divorce itself from its parent source! Nevermind that they've had successful franchises of their own for years! Also, every icon means a character! Wonder who the crown's for? The Mii KING? Unpossible!

Aside from the Mystery Dungeon and Ranger series, and even then, they didn't intrude much on other universes, to my recollection.
In all honesty the icons represent from where they are now, but the characters will still always have roots from where they are from. If Wario, DK and Yoshi were not intertwined with Mario, they wouldn't be in Mario Kart. That was my point.

Nintendo tends to celebrate their history, which is why we have ROB in Mario Kart Games.
Even if not related entirely, they share something in common.

You can count 4 Mario reps based on their icons in Brawl, and I can count 6 Pokemon reps from Brawl if I space them.
Inversely, I can also count 8 Mario reps in brawl based on how I view them and you could still only count 6 pokemon reps overall.
Just depends on how you want to look at it.

If held to your rule, Pokemon could have more characters for the spin offs you mentioned because they intertwine with the other pokemon games. The Mario games do that, but Pokemon can't? They could just get a new icon for Rumble or Mystery Dungeon!
Since they are then separate series and franchises, they wouldn't count under pokemon reps!

So go ahead and make it out what you want to be.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
"We're gonna speculate about one thing and one thing only: The character roster in the new Super Smash Bros. games."

"I'm not going to overanalyze the size of character selection screen and hotly debate which characters belong to which franchise and argue about why Mewtwo was omitted from Brawl, and how that relates to the new games, that's just a waste of time. I don't even know what that all means."

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So I have a question that I just randomly thought of and I don't think this topic has been discussed,

If transformations were never a thing in Super Smash Bros, would you all consider Sheik and Zero Suit Samus less necessary? Also, do you all think that this would've increased the chances of a different character from that respected series?

Morbi

Scavenger
So I have a question that I just randomly thought of and I don't think this topic has been discussed,

If transformations were never a thing in Super Smash Bros, would you all consider Sheik and Zero Suit Samus less necessary? Also, do you all think that this would've increased the chances of a different character from that respected series?
I have always interpreted Sheik as unnecessary. She should have been replaced once he decided to remove transformation characters to maintain a cohesive roster that endures the persistence of time. I will always look back and laugh at the creative director's incompetence regarding this issue. Zero Suit Samus is not exactly necessary, but given complications pertaining to Ridley during the time, she was an ideal choice.

Of course; more likely than not, Melee would have ended with Link, Young Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. It is entirely possible that Ganondorf would not even be a clone as the development time for Sheik may have been imputed to our favorite wizard. During Brawl, another character might have been considered, or Toon Link could have been overhauled. Smash 4 might have seen Impa if the archetype was prevalent in Sakurai's mind, albeit Greninja might have satisfied that notion. So we might not have even gotten a similar character as Impa did not really seem feasible until Skyward Sword. However, I suppose anything is possible.

I believe that it would not greatly influence the chances of another character. In the case of Legend of Zelda, Toon Link or Ganondorf would have probably been more refined whereas in the case of Metroid, we were probably not going to get an alternate.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
All right, Ebony, I've got no more to say than these fine people on the topic of Mewtwo, but I did report you for spamming a topic worse than Cliffjumper's "SEGA for sale" talks. So keep it up.

I. Dare. You.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Neither.

Having crossed over in Mario Kart at least three times he's clearly classed as a Mario character now.

Guess this means Mewtwo's fine to add without overtaking Mario now.
So you're saying he's our mario kart rep?

damn

my dreams of playing as a standalone kart, dashed

(PUNS)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
All right, Ebony, I've got no more to say than these fine people on the topic of Mewtwo, but I did report you for spamming a topic worse than Cliffjumper's "SEGA for sale" talks. So keep it up.

I. Dare. You.
No need to make threats. If someone's breaking a rule just "report" them and we'll take care of the rest.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't believe in the "retro character" thing anymore, since the concept is all arbitrary "requirements" made by fans.
Instead, I look towards what Sakurai may consider a "classic character", at which I feel we've already got it; Little Mac. And arguably Mega Man and Pac-Man as well due to the very styles they were given.

Why I find the requirements arbitrary is because Sakurai doesn't follow them; he follows his own.
When he was deciding on a NES protagonist to include for Melee, one of the characters he looked at was the Excitebiker.
This was despite Excitebike 64 existing prior to Melee. By the arbitrary rules fans give for "retro characters", Excitebiker would not be one, yet it did not matter to Sakurai.

With Little Mac (as far as Smash is trying to establish) being a character dating back from the old arcade days of Nintendo, he's being treated in Smash as a "classic character" of sorts, a "relic from the past" if you will. This is despite Punch-Out!! for the Wii existing. In fact, that game seems to be being treated as a "modernization" of sorts while the older titles get the bigger focus (in stark contrast to Pit, who has the modern Uprising as the focus point with some nods to the past).
How is it arguable that Megaman and Pac-Man are retro? Those are the designs fans wanted.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
How is it arguable that Megaman and Pac-Man are retro? Those are the designs fans wanted.
I dunno, it's tough, imo. Sakurai is obviously giving them retro treatment (attacks and everything, heck, look at pacmans poster/stages), but they are also definitely getting full guest treatment.

If anything I'd call mac the retro rep, but I'd say there's room for more. Melee got IC and G&W. Brawl got Pit and ROB. We have Mac, I don't think either mega or pac fills the G&WROB slot (although no one may fill it just speculation haha)

Also, I feel like a jerk whenever I correct grammar, but it's quit, not quited. sorry.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I dunno, it's tough, imo. Sakurai is obviously giving them retro treatment (attacks and everything, heck, look at pacmans poster/stages), but they are also definitely getting full guest treatment.

If anything I'd call mac the retro rep, but I'd say there's room for more. Melee got IC and G&W. Brawl got Pit and ROB. We have Mac, I don't think either mega or pac fills the G&WROB slot (although no one may fill it just speculation haha)

Also, I feel like a jerk whenever I correct grammar, but it's quit, not quited. sorry.
This might sound dumb, but are you Samusrules and you changed your username? Because i swear i just associate that profile pic with that name inherently.
EDIT: Nevermind i'm dumb :facepalm:

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
This might sound dumb, but are you Samusrules and you changed your username? Because i swear i just associate that profile pic with that name inherently.
EDIT: Nevermind i'm dumb :facepalm:
Don't worry about it. Name changes are confusing. That's what status is for.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Is Pac Man our retro rep or our 3rd party rep I don't know anymore
I think he is both. 3rd Party and classic throwback with his design.
Though Game and Watch could easily be the historical tie to Pac, being from the same year.
(As newcomers are only revealed in trailers, not veterans, so G&W isn't out yet,)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think he is both. 3rd Party and classic throwback with his design.
Though Game and Watch could easily be the historical tie to Pac, being from the same year.
(As newcomers are only revealed in trailers, not veterans, so G&W isn't out yet,)
Charizard was revealed in Greninja's trailer, though.

I could see Pac-Man filling both roles. It's just hard to tell. Not enough info imo.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Seriously, the best forms of these 3rd parties are the retro designs, the ones that people remember the most, I do not think there is any intention to add them for adding more classic characters.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Seriously, the best forms of these 3rd parties are the retro designs, the ones that people remember the most, I do not think there is any intention to add them for adding more classic characters.
I'm not trying to say that they are only adding these characters for their retro appeal. I'm saying that they inadvertently fill that niche, which makes me wonder if we will see any more retro Nintendo characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom